Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blade Runner posted:

Pretty good. I wouldn't have to live any tighter than I already do, it would just be an opportunity cost of saving 500 or so less a month. That is a legitimate cost, though. As for whether I want to dump that money in the garbage for a cool car, I mean, that's the age old question. The answer is "yes, of course I want to, I'm in my twenties" but I can acknowledge it's far more sensible to just put the money in a savings account, or something.

I suggest you do the math on what saving that $500/mo for an extra year will mean for your retirement.

Not in a savings account, open a loving Roth IRA if you don't have one. Right the hell now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Deteriorata posted:

Fix it, drive it until it dies, and start putting money in a savings account for a new one in the meantime.

Every $5000 you borrow costs about $100 per month. So at best it's worth $4k, or $80 per month on a five year loan. If you can save $100 per month and it lasts another three or four years, you're money ahead.

This is a really smart way of looking at it. Thank you for the kind advice!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Have a look underneath, it could be you've hit a plastic bag and it's stuck to the exhaust.

I was able to take a closer look once I got home from work and...

It was exactly this. There's a big blob of melted plastic bag, smack dab in the middle of the exhaust. Great call, thanks!

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

0toShifty posted:

Even though your rotors are fine, there is still slight surface irregularities that the new pads haven't matched yet.

Akebono itself recommends 400-500 miles of moderate driving for bedding the pads in to the rotors.

The procedure I used when I was a mechanic was the 30/30/30 bedding - find a big empty parking lot. Do 30 stops from 30mph to 0 with 30 seconds of cooling in between each. It sounds stupid, but it worked so well that I started doing it for every single brake job I got on certain known problematic cars (Nissan Altima looking at you)

That's probably exactly what it is. Driving around today, I noticed the squeaking was much quieter. I can barely hear it even with no radio or traffic noise.

Going to double check the brakes anyway when I flush the brake fluid tomorrow (ran out of time yesterday).

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

yamdankee posted:

So what do you guys think? Should I actually get the body work done? Should I skip the body work and just keep driving it as it is until I can afford a nice 2014 IS250 and hope it doesn't 'die' (or lose too much more of its value) by then? (Maybe it's already lost most/all of the value it's going to lose?) Should I do something else? I'm all ears, and appreciate any advice!

Fix it, trade it in for whatever when you decide to get a new one and like the other guy said start a savings account. You'll never get a significant amount for it when you sell, and you're already taking a $1500 chunk out of potential profit. There's no telling what you'll get yourself into with another car and as long as this one keeps running then stick with it.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah I'm not hearing anything out of the ordinary, car's otherwise running fine, temperature is smack dab in the middle of the "normal" range where it always is, no warnings or lights or beeps or boops. I guess I'll wait until Friday unless the smell starts suddenly getting worse - it's been pretty constant so far...

Can you try and track down where the smell is coming from? check under the hood and in the cabin with the fan on and off and see if there's a place where it smells strongest.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I just bought a nice set of new tires for my car, and had them installed and balanced, and they are great--they are quieter and more grippy than my previous stock tires.

However, now I am noticing a slight rocking in the car whose frequency at low speeds < 25 mph seems to be proportional to the car's speed. At higher speeds, the rocking sometimes disappears and sometimes appears but doesn't go at the same rate as the car's speed. I don't feel the rocking in the steering wheel or the brake pedal, and it is very slight. It isn't really a vibration, just a slight rocking, like as if you were on a boat. It isn't particularly intense or really a safety issue, but it is a little annoying.

What could be the issue here? Did the shop improperly balance the tires or slightly bend a wheel when putting on the new tires? The new tires pressure is 3-4 lbs greater than the pressure listed inside my door jam.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 31, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Set the tire pressure according to the door jamb and check the torque of the lug nuts.

If your not feeling it in the wheel the problem is most likely a rear tire, if you can’t find anything wrong take it back to the shop. Have them do a ride along if necessary.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
New question on my 2004 Scion xB (although the car make doesn’t matter much here).

It came to me with an aftermarket Viair air ride system that was leaky as gently caress. I’ve plugged most of the leaks already, and plan on going over the rest in the next couple days. The PO put the air pressure gauges behind the shifter with some LED strip taped above it to “illuminate” the gauges. No pics, I yanked that poo poo out immediately. It was stuck into the fuse box.

The gauges are now neatly installed on the steering column where I can glance at them at any time.

My question comes with lighting them. I want to wire it into the headlight switch so it lights up with the running lights and headlights. I have no bulbs or sockets for the gauges, though there is a spot for them.

How?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Figure out who made the gauges, then find the appropriate bulbs and sockets to match. There's probably a wire on the gauge itself that should be connected to a power source that goes live with the rest of the gauges.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
There isn’t a wire, there’s just an empty space that fits some of the bulbs I happen to have on hand. I’ll see if I can’t grab some pics tomorrow, the gauges are pretty accessible now.

The mounting kit was from FastScions.com (loving lol at that name), but the access holes were so close the air lines kinked if I tried to line them through there. Ended up having to drill holes in the dash to feed them through.

Also, Awful App is being awful about posting pics.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

codo27 posted:

Time for new brakes on my '15 Civic EX sedan. But surfing Prime Choice (Canada), man its hard to touch all the bases. I can get rear rotors sure, but no front ones. Front pads, but none for the rear. If I broaden the search to just 15 Civic and remove the trim, they are there for other trims. I cant see there being too much difference from an EX to an EX-L, or is there? I could see the SI being different. Help?

Why are you replacing the rotors? And why are you replacing all the pads at once? Generally rear pads, even if disc, will outlast front brakes significantly.

At least when I had my 96 Civic, the pads were different depending on EX, LX, HX, DX, CX, GX... coupe or 4 door.. or hatch... ABS or non-ABS... and also varied depending on the transmission you had (the HX added a 3rd transmission option - a CVT)

I had a 96 2 door manual transmission without ABS. Getting pads was a pain in the rear end, most parts stores would give me pads that were a lot smaller. I assumed they were for an LX or for some kind of sedan (Civic sedans are a good bit lighter than coupes.. or used to be).

CornHolio posted:

Do odometers work in reverse?

Best I can find are that digital odometers definitely work in reverse, and in very old cars they actually roll back.

But in, say, a generic mid-nineties car that doesn't yet have a digital odometer, would it roll back?

If the car has a VSS and electric driven odometer, yes, the odometer will still register. If not, it'll probably just stay at its current reading. Most, if not all, cars by then had gone to electronic speedometers/electric odometers by then, despite appearing "analog".

I can think of a couple of early 90s Hondas that still used speedometer cables; those probably wouldn't roll the odometer in reverse (they had a VSS, but it was mounted to the back of the speedometer, and the odometer was driven by the speedo cable/speedometer).

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

New question on my 2004 Scion xB (although the car make doesn’t matter much here).

It came to me with an aftermarket Viair air ride system that was leaky as gently caress. I’ve plugged most of the leaks already, and plan on going over the rest in the next couple days. The PO put the air pressure gauges behind the shifter with some LED strip taped above it to “illuminate” the gauges. No pics, I yanked that poo poo out immediately. It was stuck into the fuse box.

The gauges are now neatly installed on the steering column where I can glance at them at any time.

My question comes with lighting them. I want to wire it into the headlight switch so it lights up with the running lights and headlights. I have no bulbs or sockets for the gauges, though there is a spot for them.

How?

If you absolutely want bulbs and sockets you could probably get a set from a junkyard scion. Not sure how you'd actually get power because they use a circuit board thing they clip into.

I'd go with LEDs wired with an inline fuse to the headlight circuit. You could snag it just out of the fuse box and it would look reasonably neat. Regular output LEDs can be hot glued into place no problem with the benefit of being removable if you come up with a better plan.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Anybody have any luck using cheap ground loop isolator things to get the buzz out of their radio's aux input? 2004 honda accord, stock radio using the thing turns the cd changer input into an aux. Oh, and a 10 dollar aukey ground loop isolator.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Why are you replacing the rotors? And why are you replacing all the pads at once? Generally rear pads, even if disc, will outlast front brakes significantly.

I've got a bad rotor, major vibration when braking at higher speeds. I've got 80k km almost, figure its just as well to do them all or at least buy em all. If any of it is salvageable, at least I'll have the parts when I need to replace them

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

violentlycitrus posted:

Anybody have any luck using cheap ground loop isolator things to get the buzz out of their radio's aux input? 2004 honda accord, stock radio using the thing turns the cd changer input into an aux. Oh, and a 10 dollar aukey ground loop isolator.

When my wife had a Mazda 6 we used an Auxmod for line in tied into a ground loop isolator. Never had a problem with buzz or coil whine, and it was less than $10 from Amazon.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

big trivia FAIL posted:

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible 3.8L

Leaking something orange, and seems to only happen after running the A/C. It almost looks like just regular water condensation, but it's a tad oily and orange-ish (see pictures below).

Recent work done:
a) Replaced the entire oil gasket system in February ($3,000) - this was both front and rear main seals, head cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and more!
b) Replaced the transmission in June ($3,000)
c) Replaced Power Steering Pump
d) Replaced o-ring thing on some pipe dealing w/ the air conditioner (leaking)

How much will this poo poo cost?

Coming back to this from pages ago:

I took it to a mechanic Friday. He had the car all day and could not get it to leak at all. Passed pressure tests and all. He told me to take it home and just watch it. Today, my wife was coming home from running errands, and when pulling into the driveway, the car exploded and caught fire. Had the FD and PD out here and everything. Guess that's a total loss...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well that’s a sudden change. Post the pics. Everything else safe?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

big trivia FAIL posted:

Coming back to this from pages ago:

I took it to a mechanic Friday. He had the car all day and could not get it to leak at all. Passed pressure tests and all. He told me to take it home and just watch it. Today, my wife was coming home from running errands, and when pulling into the driveway, the car exploded and caught fire. Had the FD and PD out here and everything. Guess that's a total loss...

I hope you punched him in the face.

and hugged wifey.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
jesus, lol. glad no one's hurt

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Yeah, wife and son are fine. She got him out of there in a hurry.

All that wet is brake fluid or something. 3rd pic is engine bay, passenger side, you can see all the burnt up poo poo.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 31, 2017

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

KBB puts the value between 4 - 7K, so maybe I'll get a decent payout from it drat

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Steering rack? WTF?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dagen H posted:

Steering rack? WTF?

I can only guess it leaked fluid and dripped onto the exhaust.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

She said as she was turning into the garage there was a loud snap and bang. She got out and saw the passenger wheel well on fire. I don't know anything about the mechanics of a car (aside from engine make go), so I don't know.

edit: and there is some kind of fluid (brake fluid?) all over the garage and driveway

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 31, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hydraulic fluid from the power steering would be my bet, brake fluid isn't flammable iirc

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spankmeister posted:

Hydraulic fluid from the power steering would be my bet, brake fluid isn't flammable iirc

heh this is wrong. It doesn't have the flashpoint of something like gasoline, but it'll burn just like canola oil.

I think it's ignition point is somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 degrees which makes leaking on the exhaust and catching fire unlikely but, I guess, possible... However, you'd probably make a fuckton of smoke before that happened.

e: oh hey Google!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMGuh0njJE

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 31, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given the empty hose barb there, I'm thinking return line from the power steering popped off and soaked the exhaust in either ATF or power steering fluid, both of which are flammable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

heh this is wrong. It doesn't have the flashpoint of something like gasoline, but it'll burn just like canola oil.

I think it's ignition point is somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 degrees which makes leaking on the exhaust and catching fire unlikely but, I guess, possible... However, you'd probably make a fuckton of smoke before that happened.

e: oh hey Google!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMGuh0njJE

Neat, good to know. Still think it's power steering fluid tho!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the empty hose barb there,

Totally missed that :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

big trivia FAIL posted:

c) Replaced Power Steering Pump

:raise:

That paper towel doesn't look soaked with brake fluid or any ATF I've used.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I bought a 2002 F150 and the PO put HIDs in the stock housings. I'm going to put them back to stock since that's the cheapest way of fixing the problem. The HIDs are wired up correctly with power coming right from the battery and a relay in the middle. Is there any reason why I should take the whole wiring setup out and go back to 100% stock wiring? I'd prefer to use the current setup (direct from battery w/ relay) to power the stock lights just for ease of re-installation of the old stuff.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I don't see a problem with adding the extra relay. Assuming it's all wired correctly it should be no less safe than stock.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Breakfast Feud posted:

I don't see a problem with adding the extra relay. Assuming it's all wired correctly it should be no less safe than stock.

That was my thinking too, thanks.

Twiggles
Jun 22, 2004

Could an eight year old... do this?
The stats:
2004 Toyota Solara SE 4cyl automatic transmission.

Problem is as follows. Driving on the freeway- all power dies, check engine light comes on naturally, engine is still running, however accelerating does nothing much. Brings overall RPM to about 2000 when flooring it. Pulled over. Turned car off, waited a minute or two, turned back on. Drives like normal- got back on freeway. When I hit freeway speed problem repeats. Get off freeway, seem to be able to drive ok at speeds of 30-40mph. Take surface streets with no problem. Eventually have to get back on Freeway. I add a bit of gas to my car just in case that's the issue, then resume driving. Get on the freeway, no problems. Get to my exit, as I'm pulling into my driveway, hear a thump, problem repeats. Thankfully at idle speed, can get to my house and get parked. Further development, when I shift car into reverse to back into my garage, a rather loud and discomforting bang occurs. Does not repeat when I shift back to drive, then back to reverse again. Drives at idle speed in drive and reverse both. One final note. When I would have the car parked but running, when this problem was occurring it would idle at about 1000rpm, then pulse up to 1500 at a steady rate, and back down.

Car in reasonably good shape, 131000 miles. Only real internal work done was replacement of throttle body a few years back. No issues since.

Thanks ahead of time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Twiggles posted:

The stats:
2004 Toyota Solara SE 4cyl automatic transmission.

Problem is as follows. Driving on the freeway- all power dies, check engine light comes on naturally, engine is still running, however accelerating does nothing much. Brings overall RPM to about 2000 when flooring it. Pulled over. Turned car off, waited a minute or two, turned back on. Drives like normal- got back on freeway. When I hit freeway speed problem repeats. Get off freeway, seem to be able to drive ok at speeds of 30-40mph. Take surface streets with no problem. Eventually have to get back on Freeway. I add a bit of gas to my car just in case that's the issue, then resume driving. Get on the freeway, no problems. Get to my exit, as I'm pulling into my driveway, hear a thump, problem repeats. Thankfully at idle speed, can get to my house and get parked. Further development, when I shift car into reverse to back into my garage, a rather loud and discomforting bang occurs. Does not repeat when I shift back to drive, then back to reverse again. Drives at idle speed in drive and reverse both. One final note. When I would have the car parked but running, when this problem was occurring it would idle at about 1000rpm, then pulse up to 1500 at a steady rate, and back down.

Car in reasonably good shape, 131000 miles. Only real internal work done was replacement of throttle body a few years back. No issues since.

Thanks ahead of time.

Check transmission fluid level, and pull the codes. Definitely sounds transmission related though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

codo27 posted:

I've got a bad rotor, major vibration when braking at higher speeds. I've got 80k km almost, figure its just as well to do them all or at least buy em all. If any of it is salvageable, at least I'll have the parts when I need to replace them

Gotcha. Front rotors and pads for sure then, but I'd personally hold off on the rears unless you've already visually confirmed that they need to be replaced. The fronts do most of the work.

You might try Rockauto to get part numbers, then check Amazon Canada, but I don't know how the trim levels differ between US and Canada market Hondas (I know at one point, the US EX was sold as an Si in Canada, and the US Si was sold as the SiR up there - not sure how much of that has changed).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the empty hose barb there, I'm thinking return line from the power steering popped off and soaked the exhaust in either ATF or power steering fluid, both of which are flammable.

I'm gonna guess, given the proximity to that half shaft, that it hit the brake rotor and went FWOOM. Those get plenty hot enough to ignite power steering fluid.

Either way, it sucks, but nobody was hurt, house wasn't damaged, and it sounds like the car was insured; as far as car fires go, OP (and wife+kid) came out very lucky. Looks like the FD got there real quick too, that damage is extremely minor for a car fire. If no wiring was nearby, it may not get written off, assuming insurance values it at the higher end of KBB. Even if it does, steering rack + lines, those AC lines right above it, and the brake line to that wheel may be all it needs for someone to get it back on the road.

That's still very concerning that the line popped off like that; that's the low pressure return line isn't it? Those don't see a whole lot of pressure, just a decent amount of volume. Definitely something to report to the NHTSA as well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 1, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I've got a tiny bit of squeal at the very end of braking to a complete stop. Pads look like they have at least half an inch left on all 4 sides. Rotors seem to look good.

Of course my indie shop is recommending new pads and rotors for both axles, $1200 (my car sucks). Anything else it could be? Should I just not worry about it until they really need replacement? Braking power is good.

This is anytime after driving for a while so it's not flash rust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Michael Scott posted:

I've got a tiny bit of squeal at the very end of braking to a complete stop. Pads look like they have at least half an inch left on all 4 sides. Rotors seem to look good.

Of course my indie shop is recommending new pads and rotors for both axles, $1200 (my car sucks). Anything else it could be? Should I just not worry about it until they really need replacement? Braking power is good.

Could be noisy pads. I had that problem when I had about the same amount of pad left and I just said gently caress it and put new pads on. Not rotors. $70 from https://www.rockauto.com

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I'm getting the same thing with brand new pads, but they are admittedly $20 AutoZone jobbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 4x4
The windshield wipers work fine, the intermittent settings all seem OK and there are no scary noises or weird delays or anything. What doesn't work well is the sprayer. I replaced the pump when I bought this truck in May 2015, and it *will* spray, sometimes. It won't spray if the wipers are set to anything other than OFF, and I have to hold the button (the end of the stalk) in for a few seconds before it starts going; sometimes I have to hold it, release it, hold it again to get it to work. All of this rules out the fuse and the pump, but the "sometimes it works" nature of the problem suggests the relay or switch is damaged. There's a bunch of corrosion around the battery and some other electrical components, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like that.

How do I know if a relay is bad? I can pull it and look at it, is there anything besides nastry grime and corrosion I should look for? How would I figure out the part number to replace it? NAPA has something in stock locally for $15, but it might be for the wiper motors rather than the sprayer. Do relays have unique part numbers written on them?

This is something that's causing my truck to fail out-of-province inspection and I'd like to register it here in Quebec before my Ontario insurance expires November 19. Sidenote, Quebec car insurance is amazingly cheap (because Socialism, basically).