Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dc3k posted:

Wireless keyboards and mice are bad because latency and lovely disconnects. Apple's Magic Mouse is horrible for this.
Wireless headphones are bad because they have poor battery life. Wireless (battery power) speakers suck too. But are acceptable in certain situations.

The only computery thing that should be wireless is the internet connection on a phone or laptop. Wires are significantly better for everything else.

My point is that people still buy this stuff by the truckload even if they're not technically superior. But for some reason when it's the headphones that are wireless, everyone loses their collective poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Speaking of Bluetooth speakers can anyone recommend a good one that might work for keeping on my desk at work.

Google home mini

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

dc3k posted:

Wireless keyboards and mice are bad because latency and lovely disconnects. Apple's Magic Mouse is horrible for this.
Wireless headphones are bad because they have poor battery life. Wireless (battery power) speakers suck too. But are acceptable in certain situations.

The only computery thing that should be wireless is the internet connection on a phone or laptop. Wires are significantly better for everything else.

Okay grandpa :thumbsup:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Speaking of Bluetooth speakers can anyone recommend a good one that might work for keeping on my desk at work.

The Samsung Radiant360 R3 is the best sound I’ve heard from a retail Bluetooth speaker. Absolutely phenomenal, $200 on Amazon. If you’re not trying to blast your coworkers’ ears off, you can also get the R1 for $158.

Downsides: Bluetooth/WiFi only, no audio jack. Not portable, has to be plugged into power to work.

I’ve heard the Bluetooth speakers that The Verge gives their recommendation and they sound like absolute trash next to the Samsung.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

dc3k posted:

This dude gets it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

I got some cheap thing already delivered from Amazon. Have you held a 6/7/8? It's like that but slightly taller. It's shocking how small it feels after a year on a 7+.

My wife had a 6 and I had a plus. That was 2 years ago. Now we both have 7+s. I am sure the first thing going through my mind when my X arrives is "holy poo poo its so small what have I done?!
But I know the screen is still pretty big.

Honestly, the only thing I'm a little irked by (at least for now) is how videos will look when in full aspect ratio (ie: smaller.)

I don't even care about the size, so much as you have this gorgeous edge-to-edge display and then these big as artificial bezels

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dc3k posted:

< Sits at computer with multiple-year-old gaming-focused wireless keyboard and mouse that have literally never disconnected

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Goddamn UPS is late delivering to residential addresses, businesses get their stuff before noon, FedEx came to my building around 10.

I wanted to be the first to post Saddle Brown in the thread but it looks like I'll be beat, if UPS ever decides to show up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, the headphone jack is gone, it isn’t coming back, most people have Bluetooth poo poo and if they don’t there are a poo poo ton of options that both work and are pretty affordable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

< Sits at computer with multiple-year-old gaming-focused wireless keyboard and mouse that have literally never disconnected

Same, I only buy wireless mice for home and I have a wireless keyboard and mouse at work, and I have never had a single problem with the reliability of the connection.

Plus I use a Bluetooth mouse with my MacBook since it only has one USB-C port. And that mouse also works fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's only been half a day, but 11.1 battery life seems to be much improved. My 6S has been around 1/2 to 2/3 full at midday for the last few weeks and today it still almost full.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

At first I was like, “I’ll never get a phone without a headphone port, how dare they remove that!!”

Yeah hen I realized I never use wired headphones and don’t care.

Just switched to an 8 from my 6S. I can’t believe how much louder this phone is. No more having to cup my hand on the bottom of my phone in hopes to hear it. Hooray!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I hope you don’t take public transit. I honestly wish loud speakers would go away just so all the jerks who think the whole car needs to hear their music have no option but to bring a big battery powered speaker

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Pivo posted:

Goddamn UPS is late delivering to residential addresses, businesses get their stuff before noon, FedEx came to my building around 10.

I wanted to be the first to post Saddle Brown in the thread but it looks like I'll be beat, if UPS ever decides to show up.

Mark my words, I will post a saddle brown X case today. Look upon me ye mighty and despair.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Wtf is with you people and saddle brown

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
DARK AUBERGINE KREW

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to update the thread that my saddle brown iPhone x case arrived today. Will be six weeks before I have a phone to put in it, but at least I have the important part of the iphone x experience now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Goons never met a joke they couldn’t run so far into the ground that it’s vaporized by the heat of the Earth’s core.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kingcobweb posted:

It’s sad, really. Brown is objectively superior in every way but the Saddle Brown Agenda had it removed so now it’s the only available brown.

I almost switched to Aubergine in protest.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just wanted to update the thread that my saddle brown iPhone x case arrived today. Will be six weeks before I have a phone to put in it, but at least I have the important part of the iphone x experience now.

You can carry it around and imagine what’s it going to be like carrying the X with you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a good case, Brent

Ultra Violet silicone is obviously the best though

I'm just glad there's no trolls claiming that folio cases are good

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 1, 2017

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If you already have desk speakers just grab a cheap Bluetooth adapter for them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

It's a good case, Brent

Ultra Violet silicone is obviously the best though

A few people have posted pics of the folio; it's the same leather probably but man it just looks like poo poo. To me, it's the stitching.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I went to the Apple store to try a Saddle Brown case and then realized I almost fell for the long time goon joke of promoting lackluster products.

Then I realized perhaps most of this thread are goons that felt ripped off but held they’re pride by saying it’s actually a good case

Weedle
May 31, 2006

enojy posted:

A few people have posted pics of the folio; it's the same leather probably but man it just looks like poo poo. To me, it's the stitching.

I just hate that weird hinge flap that sticks out. I used a 2015 Moto G briefly and it had a really nice magnetic flip cover where the hinge lay flat against the side of the phone. No idea why Apple can’t do that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

buglord posted:

I went to the Apple store to try a Saddle Brown case and then realized I almost fell for the long time goon joke of promoting lackluster products.

Then I realized perhaps most of this thread are goons that felt ripped off but held they’re pride by saying it’s actually a good case

Endless Mike posted:

It's a good case, Brent

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The Apple leather cases are truly nice. They just aren't worth asking price. I got mine for like $7 from a Best Buy closeout. You bet your rear end it was worth $7! Dark brown though, not saddle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

buglord posted:

Nope! Saddle brown is superior. It just requires an investment of time, sweat, oils, etc...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Nope! Saddle brown is superior. It just requires an investment of time, sweat, oils, etc...

Yep. Old and new. The old one doesn't look quite as dark in person.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
In all honesty that lack of lip at the bottom makes me feel way too nervous about using Apple cases. I’ve gotten myself comfortable enough using minimalist TPU cases, but eugh the lack of bottom projection makes it a psychological bridge too far.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yep. Old and new. The old one doesn't look quite as dark in person.

how old is that case? i had my 6s w/ brown leather case for about 5 months before it got nicked and while it was getting a bit worn i'm almost glad i didn't get to see it morph into full turd-coloured glory

buglord posted:

In all honesty that lack of lip at the bottom makes me feel way too nervous about using Apple cases. I’ve gotten myself comfortable enough using minimalist TPU cases, but eugh the lack of bottom projection makes it a psychological bridge too far.

eh feels like a dece tradeoff. the bottom corners are still protected and it's easier to use with various accessories if you're a dock person like i am. a lip would probably make the home gesture on the x that little bit more annoying too

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kinda pissy that we gotta wait until 11.2 for Apple to fix the $%$#% calculator.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i have the blue leather case coming

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Endless Mike posted:

I wasn’t going to get an iPhone X but now that I’ve seen the folio case I’m reconsidering this decision.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

My point is that people still buy this stuff by the truckload even if they're not technically superior. But for some reason when it's the headphones that are wireless, everyone loses their collective poo poo.

no one's really freaking out about the option to use wireless headphones as much as they're freaking out about apple loving about with the option of using wired headphones. pretty much everyone uses 3.5mm earphones and that port's utter ubiquity is just taken for granted. if you lose or break your earphones on a given street in a metropolitan area it's virtually guaranteed that there's somewhere within a 5 minute walk that will sell you a cheap replacement pair, and a virtually 100% chance that those headphones use the 3.5mm jack. so even if you mitigate it with an adapter in the box the damage is done; you're still loving with the use cases that have worked fine, for millions of people, for decades (excepting that weird period where feature phones all came with weird proprietary headsets). there's going to be a backlash.

it also comes across as a tad unnecessary when the phone you debut this change in is virtually identical in terms of form factor to the previous phone, which did have a headphone jack. honestly a lot of the changes in the 7 make more sense in light of the X, kind of like a dry run. the weird solid state home button partially but especially the headphone jack. considering how it takes up virtually the entire depth of the phone on the 6/6s, could you have even extended the screen all the way to the bottom without doing away with it? could have made it ever so slightly thicker but this is apple we're talking about

certainly could make sense that they could have debuted the change early in order to prime people for it moving forward and smooth the launch of the x

Endless Mike posted:

they seem like a neat idea right up until you use one, then it becomes annoying pretty quickly. good choice if you're clamouring for something that makes you want to use your phone less, i suppose

honestly if i wanted to keep my phone and cards/notes together i'd use the ghetto solution that i've seen a few (mostly) women use, in which you just use a normal case but with some cards and notes crammed between the phone and the back of the case #lifehack #sorrynotsorry #gaymergate

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 1, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mad Wack posted:

i have the blue leather case coming

Username / Post combo.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Gotta get that patina, boys

Only registered members can see post attachments!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Well that's 50 bucks plus tax well spent.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Is this really a thing that was done? I suppose it would make your phone smell great until you cleaned it nicely.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

enojy posted:

Well that's 50 bucks plus tax well spent.

Depends on the espresso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kingcobweb posted:

Depends on the espresso

Eh, it's okay. I worked there for years; Starbucks uses excellent $20,000 machines and characteristically over-roasted beans.

Edit: oh nevermind that's somebody's house.