Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Dr Strange never really earned his powers, the big revelation was forced on him. Tilda Swan could as well just have put her thumb on Tony Stark's forehead and we would have saved ourselves half the movie.

Of course then we wouldn't have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dr Strange never really earned his powers, the big revelation was forced on him. Tilda Swan could as well just have put her thumb on Tony Stark's forehead and we would have saved ourselves half the movie.

They montage it, but he earns his powers through practice and shitloads of studying. Tilda Swinton didn't give him any abilities.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

rydiafan posted:

They montage it, but he earns his powers through practice and shitloads of studying. Tilda Swinton didn't give him any abilities.

Yeah I mean the only thing Tilda Swinton showed him was that there was more to the universe than what he believed. He still had to work like fuckin' mad to get those powers at all.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

He did, though? He had to struggle to get a handle on the most basic spell until he was forced into a literal "do or die" situation, then spent months or years reading and memorizing every book in the archives and practicing. And he STILL got his rear end beat by people with decades of magical and combat experience.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The magic powers were just another set of skills he learned, Strange needed to find compassion for his fellow man to achieve enlightenment/become great.

He literally already has super powers at the start of the film (eyeballs an incredibly delicate surgical procedure, photographic memory) but is still a lovely person. The film shows him becoming a hero.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rogue One : why would the rebels say "may the force be with you"? They didn't start doing that until ROTJ.

I thought it was a big deal that he earned his powers the same way he earned the right to be a douchebag surgeon of the year: Intense practice and study... amplified with astral projection and poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MrJacobs posted:

I thought it was a big deal that he earned his powers the same way he earned the right to be a douchebag surgeon of the year: Intense practice and study... amplified with astral projection and poo poo.

I mean I only watched the movie once but I'm not sure he become a surgeon this way.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MrJacobs posted:

They didn't tell you exactly how long he was studying, but the tree in the courtyard showed the passage of the seasons.

So, exactly. He didn't pick this up overnight.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Aleph Null posted:

They didn't tell you exactly how long he was studying, but the tree in the courtyard showed the passage of the seasons.

So, exactly. He didn't pick this up overnight.

I'm pretty sure one of the cases he reviews in the car before he crashes is the guy in Iron Man 2 that gets twisted in half in the lovely Hammertech robosuit.

So he learned all that in the intervening years between IR2 and the present.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That's why films should have all magical powers imbued within something, that way there's no question. You caught the magic softball? Now you have powers. You drank the magic gin and tonic? Powers. Caught the magic fish? Powers. Opened the magic book? Powers. Austin? Powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the cases he reviews in the car before he crashes is the guy in Iron Man 2 that gets twisted in half in the lovely Hammertech robosuit.

So he learned all that in the intervening years between IR2 and the present.

It's unclear because there are awards in his trophy case that say 2016.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Yes Strange had a montage of him studying, but Stark is able to study too. In fact we have a case of him becoming an expert on something literally over night in the movies. And obviously there's other smart characters. You might say that the life or death situation was some big defining moment but every sucker out there has a life and they probably want to not die just as bad as Strange but we have no idea why they don't all turn into wizards when in danger but he does :shrug:

Penpal posted:

That's why films should have all magical powers imbued within something, that way there's no question. You caught the magic softball? Now you have powers. You drank the magic gin and tonic? Powers. Caught the magic fish? Powers. Opened the magic book? Powers. Austin? Powers.

This but unironically.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Yes Strange had a montage of him studying, but Stark is able to study too. In fact we have a case of him becoming an expert on something literally over night in the movies. And obviously there's other smart characters. You might say that the life or death situation was some big defining moment but every sucker out there has a life and they probably want to not die just as bad as Strange but we have no idea why they don't all turn into wizards when in danger but he does :shrug:

That one image posted earlier? It's Tony Stark as the Sorcerer Supreme, a thing that is actually happening in the comics right now because "any sufficiently advanced technology" and whatnot. Yeah, it was an old "What if?" but it is going to happen for real in the future according to The Generations miniseries.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, Strange wasn't unique. He was basically Tony Stark, if Tony was a doctor instead of a weapons builder.

The issue was saying that Strange didn't "earn" his power, when he dedicated his entire life to learning magic, and used everything he had left just to get to the school.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sinburger posted:

According to the director that case is neither that guy nor Warmachine from Civil War.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The thing that bugged me about Dr. Strange was that in spite of being shown as the shittiest student in the class and well far behind the others, he for some reason was treated as the chosen one or whatever and given a ton of extra attention. His powers and supremacy felt unearned beyond "he was the star".

I get why this was but thought the film didi a poor job explaining/showing it. One minute he was complete poo poo at everything and the next he was loving up the masters of the art.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Penpal posted:

Strange's powers don't make him special, and thinking that they do is the mistake that the villain (and Chiwetel at the end) makes. The spells are just tools, learned by anyone willing. To become great you have to act with compassion and humility, it's not about rigidly following rules or doctrine and levelling up your abilities.

Tilda Swinton's character is in the end not a mystical superbeing, but a person. She made mistakes but was essentially good and did what she thought was best. Which is why it's okay that she broke the rules, while a murdering psycho can not.

Her mentoring of Strange is revealed to not be based on some mystic foresight, but a gut feeling. Hope. This is unacceptable to some people, who want their heroes to be infallible by virtue of their power (Chiwetel).

But Iron Man is a Superhero(tm), he can't possibly be wrong...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I get why this was but thought the film didi a poor job explaining/showing it. One minute he was complete poo poo at everything and the next he was loving up the masters of the art.

He didn't, though. He barely survived fighting the villains, and squandered the one time he had the advantage over their leader by forgetting that there was still someone left. Strange was a good mage, but a poo poo fighter.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that bugged me about Dr. Strange was that in spite of being shown as the shittiest student in the class and well far behind the others, he for some reason was treated as the chosen one or whatever and given a ton of extra attention. His powers and supremacy felt unearned beyond "he was the star".

He wasn't given any special treatment. When he sucked they made an example of him. Abandoned him on the snowy peaks when he couldn't get the sling ring to work.
The Ancient One just gave him a chance because she saw the potential. Nobody else did.
He used his super brain to learn more than everyone else, faster than everyone else. He seemed to obsess over it, pouring over books that he wasn't even supposed to take out of the library. I know it wasn't a Rocky training montage, but it might as well have been. he was pushing himself. This was not a path to enlightenment, it was a contest and he was going to win it. Yeah, he eventually learned some humility and was better for it, but it was his relentless drive that allowed him to excel.

Edit:

Schubalts posted:

He didn't, though. He barely survived fighting the villains, and squandered the one time he had the advantage over their leader by forgetting that there was still someone left. Strange was a good mage, but a poo poo fighter.
Book knowledge, he has it. But he can't do much with it until he manages his ego. Yeah, he won that fight by luck and because a loving cape helped him. Imagine getting shown up by a cape. And then the cape is like "I'm literally on your back, bro."

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Oct 31, 2017

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah it was a joke, I don't have any problems with doctor stank and thought the whole movie was pretty forgettable.

Talking about Marvel movies though, Stark's physical therapy contraption for Rhodes was weak poo poo. He should have been wearing iron man pants at the very least, not a modern day, real life Japanese exo-suit made by Honda to help factory workers lift things

I mean jeeze

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that bugged me about Harry Potter was that in spite of being shown as the shittiest student in the class and well far behind the others, he for some reason was treated as the chosen one or whatever and given a ton of extra attention. His powers and supremacy felt unearned beyond "he was the star".

FTFY

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

also knew literally one spell

e: two actually

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

EmmyOk posted:

also knew literally one spell

e: two actually

FLIPENDO

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
You really don't need to know any more spells than motherfucking Flipendo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Harry Potter was a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's the big reveal at the end. He got special treatment because everyone - even the main villain - thought he was special, not because he was genuinely smart or talented or cool, or had a destiny.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The movies don't really make it clear but in the books it is firmly established that Harry is only as successful as he is because of his friends and sheer dumb luck. It's an entire theme for the second half of the series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The movies don't really make it clear but in the books it is firmly established that Harry is only as successful as he is because of his friends and sheer dumb luck. It's an entire theme for the second half of the series.

The part where fake moody talks about all the effort he had to go through to set up Harry's success is really good.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Penpal posted:

Talking about Marvel movies though, Stark's physical therapy contraption for Rhodes was weak poo poo. He should have been wearing iron man pants at the very least, not a modern day, real life Japanese exo-suit made by Honda to help factory workers lift things

I mean jeeze

Hey remember that time we printed an entire functional ubermensch body for the guy who paralyzed you with his mind beam? You're not getting that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Strange is a doctor, and genius surgeon, I'm pretty sure 'studying like loving mad, even when you're sleeping' is a vital part of his skillset. The movie is basically him retraining himself into a different skillset, and ultimately realising he'll never be as good at his original one so he might as well take on a new career.

There is some emphasis that his scientific and medical background is not necessarily in any kind of conflict with his magical training, especially when the Ancient One says a 'spell' could as easily be called a 'program', and he becomes an extremely skilled sorcerer quickly exactly because he's already a motivated genius. It seems implied that there's not a lot of sorcerers around because magic is very difficult, and not the most rewarding unless you have a goal in mind; see the guy who figured out how to use magic to make his spine work again, and decided that was good enough and went back to his old life. Tony Stark could have been the Sorcerer Supreme if he'd chosen to study magic, but why would he? Technology is right there, and way more profitable. Most of the other sorcerers seem to be doing it more out of duty than drive, or motivated by personal tragedy, like the main villain, and thus either stick in their comfort zone or seek out increasingly dangerous sources of power trying to fix what nothing else can.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BrBa posted:

A few things irritated me in Blade Runner 2049:

- Jared Leto's character was so over-the-top evil and creepy that his two scenes were almost comical. I think it would have been more effective if he was just a regular guy, like Tyrell in the original.
- Deckard and Gosling fighting among the Elvis holograms was pointless. What would have been lost if they just cut from 'I want to ask you some questions' to them sitting at the bar?
- Why did Luv not kill Gosling when they find Deckard? He's of no further use to her, and it's really obvious he'll just become a liability later. That's some Bond villain level stupidity.
- When Gosling realizes he's not the child, they replay flashbacks and dialogue from earlier, like the audience is too loving stupid to put two and two together

While I'm at it, one thing from the original Blade Runner:

When Pris has Deckard at her mercy, she walks away to do some backflips at him instead of just crushing his head or something.

1. Yeah, it would've probably been better that way.

2. He didn't want to be found and instantly recognized Gosling as a Blade Runner, why would he be okay with just chatting at the bar?

3. He did have a large chunk of metal(?) sticking out of his abdomen, maybe she expected him to die without medical treatment, which she couldn't have predicted he would get.

4. Yeah, thats always dumb

Rogue One : why would the rebels say "may the force be with you"? They didn't start doing that until ROTJ.

Because its a catchphrase they need to shoehorn in or else dumb nerds would complain, or because they need a callback/nostalgia moment. Yes, its dumb.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The new Magnificent Seven film completely changes the message of the original and it makes me so Goddamn mad.

Also, one of the heroes is a straight-up suicide bomber and it comes off kind of weird.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

They say it in literally every Star Wars film, including the original. :confused:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Harry specifically tells the members of Dumbledore's Army all of this in Order of the Phoenix.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harry Potter is the power baby and his powers rival God himself.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

They say it in literally every Star Wars film, including the original. :confused:

Are you sure? The way I remember it only Obi Wan and Vader said poo poo about the force in ANH. I'm having trouble imagining it what with Obi Wan's ghost telling Luke to disregard what the rebels are saying and to trust in the force instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you sure? The way I remember it only Obi Wan and Vader said poo poo about the force in ANH. I'm having trouble imagining it what with Obi Wan's ghost telling Luke to disregard what the rebels are saying and to trust in the force instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XYKY4Km20

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pretty sure Dodonna or whatever his name is says "May the force be with you" as they are on their way to attack the Death Star. I think Mon Mothma might say it too?

Rogue One tried to NOT have the Jedi in it, and it was after the purge and so on. They could just have easily not included it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

May the Force be With you is the same empty platitude as telling someone who sneezed God Bless You or how some germans would great each other with “Great God”. Its a cultural artifact and it doesnt require a recognized Jedi order to invoke, no more than you need an organized religion to say something was Apocalyptic.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Barudak posted:

May the Force be With you is the same empty platitude as telling someone who sneezed God Bless You or how some germans would great each other with “Great God”. Its a cultural artifact and it doesnt require a recognized Jedi order to invoke, no more than you need an organized religion to say something was Apocalyptic.

But my autism won't let it stand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's basically just "Good luck". Kinda like how Insha Allah (not sure if I'm spelling that right" is basically "if God wills it" or Vaya con dios is "God be with you on your journey", or just basically "good luck/goodbye".