Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I scanned in all my amiibo but the only thing that unlocked was the wedding outfit. Do I have to do something special as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Kins posted:

Buying moons increases your moon tally, allowing you to access the post-game kingdoms and costumes and such quicker, but it doesn't collect moons from around the world for you. It just adds a counter of how much you've bought next to the "Shopping in World Name" moon on the list.

Okay that's what I thought. The person who originally said this to me seemed to imply you can't for example unlock the Dark Side areas with bought moons

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waltzing Along posted:

I scanned in all my amiibo but the only thing that unlocked was the wedding outfit. Do I have to do something special as well?
Pretty sure that whatever you get you should get right away. Exception is that tapping any Bowser at any point highlights the nearest purple coins, I don't know if other amiibo do other stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Mario makes you briefly invincible and Peach heals you? Those felt like cheating. And I think while any Mario, Bowser and Peach will work for those effects, only the wedding trio will grant you the costumes (early).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Wedding Amiibos are crazy good. That find all the coins thing has saved my life, I always seem to end up with one or two missing. Mario makes you invincible for a while, Peach gives you an extra health thing. It's nice to have a "gently caress it" button just in case but they are basically cheat codes. I went gently caress this to the eel tunnel because :gonk:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Now in the final (I assume hope) fight with Bowser. I am Bad at this game. :corsair:
Still love it, of course.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to think creatively. There's a very simple way to get up there with no jump tricks or anything.

Just use a lava bubble. Shoot over it with one of the cannons and untransform in midair so you fall right down on top.

Or you can just jump from the big pot on the volcano

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I found a New Donkian who needs a clown to cheer him up.

...standing awfully close to an edge...

...oh god oh god where's the Crazy Cap? :gonk:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

100% is probably gonna take some time to route considering how much stuff is in this game, but it should be pretty cool. Mario's platforming abilities have a higher skill ceiling in this than any previous Mario game, I'm pretty sure, so crazy tricks should continue getting discovered for a while

The biggest buzzkill of 100% will be that the most efficient way to conclude a 100% run would be to save Toadette for last and spend like 8 minutes talking to her to get everything

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Is there a decent map or guide to where the portals are to the other worlds once you get to Mushroom Kingdom? It's a lot bigger than I expected and I've been running around and finding a few but it would be nice to have a guide handy to remember where they are.

edit: nevermind, I misunderstood how this Kingdom worked and re-worded my google search to find what I needed.

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 1, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I should mention, the thing I've heard a lot of excitement about from speedrunners is Odyssey Bingo in the same vein as Mario 64 Bingo http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/sm64-bingo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nerdbot posted:

The biggest buzzkill of 100% will be that the most efficient way to conclude a 100% run would be to save Toadette for last and spend like 8 minutes talking to her to get everything
Seems great, master the timing and take a joycon to the toilet with you and it's a speedrun with a builtin bathroom break at the end

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seems great, master the timing and take a joycon to the toilet with you and it's a speedrun with a builtin bathroom break at the end

Looking forward to seeing streamers sprinting back on camera with their pants around their ankles because their joycon desynced on the can

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Speedruns that include the post game are going to be cool just because of the potential painting routes, I forsee people getting like 200 moons before going back to the Odyssey to drop them off

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

nerdbot posted:

I didn't realize you had to keep talking to her to receive more moons. When I came back way later I ended up getting 40-50 stars from her.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah first time i got there i had to talk to her like 26 times, it sucked, and it doubly sucks knowing i'm going to have to go through it again

come on nintendo just give me them all at once if i earned them

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

You haven't used the right amiibo then.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think Mario makes you briefly invincible and Peach heals you? Those felt like cheating. And I think while any Mario, Bowser and Peach will work for those effects, only the wedding trio will grant you the costumes (early).

The 8bit Mario, Diddy Kong, Wario, Waluigi, Luigi, Gold/Silver Mario and Dr Mario all give you costumes early and I got them all early in the game (I was in the Sand Kingdom). I don't think there's anything that you have to trigger to get the costumes form the amiibo.

Evil Eagle posted:

Speedruns that include the post game are going to be cool just because of the potential painting routes, I forsee people getting like 200 moons before going back to the Odyssey to drop them off

Aren't all of those painting areas mostly segregated from the rest of the map, meaning you can't get to the rest of the map? All of the ones I've found were.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

To get the Amiibo costumes I think you need to scan them at the robot amiibo guy, just tapping them anywhere won't work. He has to give you the outfit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

s.i.r.e. posted:

Aren't all of those painting areas mostly segregated from the rest of the map, meaning you can't get to the rest of the map? All of the ones I've found were.

You can just teleport to another flag :ssh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PantsBandit posted:

You can just teleport to another flag :ssh:

True, but not on a first visit.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

It's cool you can subvert the OCD of 100% completion if you want but I'm bummed there's like zero acknowledgement for 100%-ing the game at all

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

True, but not on a first visit.

That's why is said speedruns that include the postgame

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cleared 100 jump ropes and i love this game again, as if a great darkness has been lifted

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kelp Plankton posted:

To get the Amiibo costumes I think you need to scan them at the robot amiibo guy, just tapping them anywhere won't work. He has to give you the outfit.

Oh, that makes sense. I'll try that.

s.i.r.e. posted:

You haven't used the right amiibo then.

The 8bit Mario, Diddy Kong, Wario, Waluigi, Luigi, Gold/Silver Mario and Dr Mario all give you costumes early and I got them all early in the game (I was in the Sand Kingdom). I don't think there's anything that you have to trigger to get the costumes form the amiibo.

Amazing. Those are all the same amiibo I used. So I guess I did use the right ones.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh, that makes sense. I'll try that.

Amazing. Those are all the same amiibo I used. So I guess I did use the right ones.

Did you use them at Uncle Amiibo?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Really I think my only disappointment with this game now that I'm knee-deep in postgame content is that New Donk City isn't a block or two larger

It has the same feeling as BOTW for me where despite all the incredible content I'm just left craving more

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/c...VWG&sh=1448d264

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This is the best game of all time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
:yeah:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It's cool you can subvert the OCD of 100% completion if you want but I'm bummed there's like zero acknowledgement for 100%-ing the game at all

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm stalled out at the Luncheon Kingdom, from frame one. My paths are a corncob to a Red-Hatted Goomba that vanishes when I approach and an immobile island with a podobo occasionally jumping up. The map shows paths that are not there. What am I not being taught to do in this zone?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I'm stalled out at the Luncheon Kingdom, from frame one. My paths are a corncob to a Red-Hatted Goomba that vanishes when I approach and an immobile island with a podobo occasionally jumping up. The map shows paths that are not there. What am I not being taught to do in this zone?

both of these problems could be solved by throwing your hat at things

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MisterBibs posted:

The goomba is searching for love. Try another goomba. And the platform needs to be reached from above, not below.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I stand corrected

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, is it actually possible to catch those red-hatted Goombas? They always seem to disappear no matter what I try. Also, do you get anything special/useful if you do manage to defeat/capture one?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is it actually possible to catch those red-hatted Goombas? They always seem to disappear no matter what I try. Also, do you get anything special/useful if you do manage to defeat/capture one?

The girl Goomba? You're supposed to become a Goomba and go up to her, she'll give you a moon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really depressing me that the moon giving me the most trouble is 100 jump rope challenge.

Is there any trick to this? I can't even get past 50. The rhythm changing as you speed up gets me killed because Mario inevitably lands right on the rope.
It stops speeding up once it hits 50 so the trick is to make it to 50 and then hope you survive for 14 more seconds. Good luck goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is the one moon per world that neither talkatoo nor the toad will give hints for something that will be unlocked later, or is it just "go find it without hints"

• Locked thread