Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Haha why doesn’t the legendary mod vendor look at universal power level like everything else? You need to be wearing 280 to interact with it.
It's an annoying concept and I'm still just running through the plot slowly for the 3rd time unable to buy them yet. But I expect the intended theory, is for it to to make you have to switch to your higher level character when you hit your super tiny glimmer cap every five minutes to buy a chunk of mods.

5/8 of your item level is tied to your clothing. So unless your guns you can share are at a sky high power level not even supported by the game yet, you can't hand off Power 280+ Titatn's weapons collection to your Hunter with 200 power pants to let them buy cool mods the moment they beat the plot.

…Which is nearly pointless anyways, because you have a shared inventory your purchased mods will be put into :eng99: (A fact I am very thankful for, to be fair).

So the ONLY way this could have any form of gating purpose, rather than just wasting your time with character select screens? Is if somehow those 280+ equipped gear gated purchases, are heavily weighted to what class you are at the time. Does anyone know offhand if that is the case?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Swords are so cool they can even make Giant Bomb's Brad Shoemaker look good
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/905947586850410497

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Spudd posted:

Modern Warfare 2 has been the only good PvP shooter in the past 10 years because there was no balance and it was just fun

I agree with this. Too many games going for balance and just forgetting that this shits supposed to be fun.

Akimbo 1887's was the best.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Central?

My clan is doing a run tonight. Got at least 3 people who did console raid and I've studied the video explanations. We're all Des1 vets with Kings Fall and WoM raids too.

Not sure if we need an extra, but I think were sitting at 4 right now. If we need someone who knows their poo poo I'll keep you in mind. I think you and a few other goons helped me through my first Kings Fall.

ya central

And nope I never got to play Destiny 1 so this will be my first raid!!!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How long does the raid take? I think I heard a bit over 2 hours? How long did D1 raids take?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Early Destiny was "gently caress balance, have fun" too but then Bungie got nostalgic about Halo being featured by MLG and figured it would be a good idea to chase those esports dollars again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elysiume posted:

How long does the raid take? I think I heard a bit over 2 hours? How long did D1 raids take?

It can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 8-9 hours depending on your level of insistence for running it blind, your patience, and your tolerance for having your dick repeatedly slammed in a door.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I watched Giant Bomb run the raid and it took them 20 hours over three days

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

DrNutt posted:

It can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 8-9 hours depending on your level of insistence for running it blind, your patience, and your tolerance for having your dick repeatedly slammed in a door.

This third point is the absolute most important.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wait when exactly does the raid unlock? My power is scheduled black out tomorrow so I'm hoping it's sometime today so I get to run it...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Entirely unrelated but the Recital-17 sidearm is the most adorable sounding murder pistol and I will miss it when my level 10 Titan outlevels it in five minutes.

Speaking of Sidearms, I really wish they existed as primaries like, ever. Outside of your tutorial pistol, and apparently just a few postgame special snowflakes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Wait when exactly does the raid unlock? My power is scheduled black out tomorrow so I'm hoping it's sometime today so I get to run it...

Raid unlocks clan engrams, and it drops a metric fuckton of loot, including stuff over what you can grind out on public events/nightfall/etc.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrNutt posted:

Yeah and it’s also worth noting that it will almost certainly take a couple hours the first time, even if you check out the strats beforehand. It’s gonna take a fair bit of trial and error to get all the pieces to fall in place, you just have to get a feel for how everything works and what the tolerances. Not to mention allowing time for unforeseeable bullshit.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I think the question was when, it opens today and is supposedly available right now I'd guess

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DrNutt posted:

I would be interested in running it blind if not for the fact that I'd be dragging down five other people, and my dickslam tolerance is moderate-to-low. Time to track down a walkthrough.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If I wanted to get a titan to plvl 300+ ASAP, would it make sense to create 3 titans? Then you could raid weekly more and share gear to max out one guy? Or how would that not be a good idea?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

pmchem posted:

If I wanted to get a titan to plvl 300+ ASAP, would it make sense to create 3 titans? Then you could raid weekly more and share gear to max out one guy? Or how would that not be a good idea?

Their system doesn't allow this. Your 2nd "Powerful Reward" on the same class (example, you did the Flashpoint on two titans) will not be Powerful.

Getting to 300 should take like 3-4 weeks so don't sweat it!

redux
Apr 23, 2008

pmchem posted:

If you make more than one of the same class the game gimps your drops on everything but the main.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Gonna wait for the clan roster/memory leak fix and raid on Friday.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'll be available to raid all weekend and am fully spoiled. Btag FirstGear#1427

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

Supposedly this was explicitly nerfed by Bungie and only the first character of a given class gets increased loot from the powerful engrams for the week.

efb

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Swords are so cool they can even make Giant Bomb's Brad Shoemaker look good
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/905947586850410497

cool he clicked a few times

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
The Yacht club ran the raid earlier. We got through 3 or 4 things? We stopped at the 'hide from dogs, go to pollen' part cause it was going on 3 or 4 hours.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I have almost 300 legendary shards, I feel like that's too many

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

pmchem posted:

Two dudes in my clan got a titan and a hunter to 297 and 299 BPL before the first reset. They did it by leveling three warlocks and doing all the quests/milestones on each one, then deleting two of them, leveling a hunter and doing all the quests/milestones, and then doing it all over again with a titan.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I watched Giant Bomb run the raid and it took them 20 hours over three days

They’re also really bad at the game lol

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Spudd posted:

ahahahahahahaha

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The game seems to have decided I just shouldn't get gear over 266 outside of powerful engrams anymore

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pomp posted:

The game seems to have decided I just shouldn't get gear over 266 outside of powerful engrams anymore

265 260 is the soft cap isn't it? Only purples are going to get you upgrades.

Edit: 260 actually.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Spudd posted:

They will come in handy when you spend 500 of them at the exotic kiosk trying to get a Mananan scout with the gunsmith shards.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
PVP loving blows in this game and it sucks we need to do it for PVE gear.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I've been getting blues and purps at 266 and 267.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So do I open the engrams as i get them, or do i hold them until i am level capped. I see they have power levels, does that indicate the level of the items inside?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

edgar_ posted:

Uh you don't bru

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If everything is purple, nothing is purple.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

These scrubs don't even know the name of my clan
But they're all joining like they want the engrams
Dispatching Calus 'cause you know that we can
All because I'm the lead founder of my clan

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

I have thought way too much about Guardian mortality. They're supposed to be immortal, unstoppable chucklefucks, but does their immortality have a kryptonite or something?

In the Exodus Black strike, a whole bunch of Guardians turned into purple lava-lamps. Was that supposed to happen before the Traveler woke and gave them back their light, or does the Hive override immortality? Similarly, there was a blind Guardian in the Tower in D1, and I think she was supposed to be the lone survivor after a bunch of Guardians went on a Hive mission.

Guardians are powered by a spark of the Traveller's Light. Their ghost, which is also made out of Light, can 'ignite' this spark, which is basically what it is when you respawn or revive. If you're alone, it takes your ghost a little bit together enough energy to revive/rebuild your body, but with another guardian can jumpstart your spark with their own light. Which is basically the lore explanation for how that works.

That said, Guardians can die permanently in a few ways:

If their ghost gets get destroyed, there is nothing to revive them. This is basically how the Iron Lords killed off the warlords and how the warlords killed iron lords. Blast the guardian, then the ghost, or vice versa. This is why your ghost tends to try and hide around whenever it can.

If something damages or destroys their light, they will also just be a corpse. The Hive excel at this and the light of guardians is like a cross between steroids and a delicacy to the Hive, being both highly empowering and incredibly tasty. A Fallen Servitor could probably refine a guardian's light into ether, but the Cabal and Vex don't have direct ways of outright killing a guardian like the rest do. The Vex do have access to ontological weapons (like the Oracles), that can essentially unmake a guardian, and apparently they can convert guardians into Vex (like Asher), but the mechanism and criteria for this unknown, besides drinking the Radiolaria like Kabr.

There's also the Darkness zones or the no respawn zones. For some reason, various areas of the world are inimical to the light, and ambient levels of Light are incredibly low. Here, guardians who aren't able to be supported by a fireteam will die permanently shortly after death, and their ghost won't have enough energy to support them and revive them for at least thirty seconds. Likewise, if a guardian dies too far from their ghost, they can't be revived. A lot of guardians have died like this, frequently with them telling their ghost to leave them. In these cases, presumably, your light is simply lost, or your ghost will be destroyed before it can reignite your spark. If there's ever an outright explanation for darkness zones I don't remember it.

The hive turning guardians into magic crystals is new, but not too weird for the hive. However, the people who worked on the Titan content are all new people who don't understand a goddamn thing about the hive, so the hive using light to build a big old shrieker instead of, say, eating it to power themselves and sate their worms. I mean Savathun is the most clever of the Hive, but it just feels weird. Like a lot of Titan. Boy oh boy the lore on Titan just does not fit established stuff

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Pomp posted:

Yes, that is correct and how gearing up works from everything I understand.

You get gear up to 265ish from normal drops and from 265 to 300 you have to gear up through powerful engrams.

Cimber posted:

So do I open the engrams as i get them, or do i hold them until i am level capped. I see they have power levels, does that indicate the level of the items inside?

I'm a destiny newbie but apparently the power level of engrams was determined when they opened in Destiny 1, so people hoarded them. To prevent that in Destiny 2 the power level is assigned when the engram is picked up; so waiting won't produce a more powerful item. Go ahead and open them.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 2, 2017

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

edgar_ posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
So the powerful gear milestones don't matter? Everyone's told me that's the way to gear up

• Locked thread