Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

god yes. i wish i recorded freezing aard and what it could do to crowds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Finished Heart of Stone last night, feeling a little disappointed by it. The main quest felt like a chore because I hated both Olgierd and O'Dimm and wanted a "win" ending that screwed them both over, but I had to choose. In the end I just chose to let Olgierd die because I wanted to get it over with and move on to Blood and Wine, which seems really great so far.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Blood and wine is a God damned masterpiece

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremely steampunk posted:

Blood and wine is a God damned masterpiece

its really great. hearts of stone was basically a big main quest, i liked it, but yeah it doesnt hold a candle to a genuine expansion

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PS4 Pro update is out.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

what does the ps4 pro update give?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

It looks nice idk? Haven't seen what it looks like yet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

Performance boost and 4K support apparently

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds like it could do with another patch on a few items:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-heres-what-the-witcher-3-looks-like-on-ps4-pro

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I should finish hearts of stone before diving into blood and wine. I've had a 2 month break

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe 2018 will be the year we get to see a screenshot of cyberpunk 2077

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
bump .. been playing this. im up to the heart of stone dlc, its nice to hear my local dialect in a game :-] its in the main game too, a few minor characters have the accent but olgierd von everec and the Wild Ones are all geordies. im playing swords only on death march to keep things dangerous, no signs or alchemy except for yrden cos as far as i know you cant kill some wraiths without using something to make them weak to a good stabbing first

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I was gonna bump this to remind everyone that Witcher 3 kicks rear end.

I need to go back and finish hearts of stone before playing what I heard is easily the best dlc/expansion to a modern video game, blood and wine

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I played like 40 hours of this on ps4, got to skellige and never went back to it

I need to beat it and do the dlc

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

I.N.R.I posted:

im playing swords only on death march to keep things dangerous, no signs or alchemy except for yrden

brave gamer

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

deathmarch is the way the game was supposed to be played

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
yes but swords only is another level of hell itself

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Reprisal posted:

yes but swords only is another level of hell itself

its really not been too hard. it took a while to learn how the dodge system works against certain attacks but ive played lots of souls .. with the 20 minute food perk you can take a few hits and recover. a lot of monsters have at least 1 attack you cant dodge, you have to roll away from. and you cant wail on anything cos they have counter attacks that trigger if you hit them too many times in a row. griffiths are probably the hardest fights cos they have more than 1 unblockable attack that you can only avoid by being out of range of and they counter after like 2 light attacks

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean if you're used to stuff like Bloodborne, even only swords Deathmarch is going to be a breeze, probably. I don't like that kind of difficulty in games with random encounters, but I'd still believe the horse races are the hardest part besides maybe two bosses in the DLC.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a well known fact that most Witchers die by drowning while looking for treasure in a sunken ship, falling off a cliff, or committing rage-suicide after losing a horse race.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

its really not been too hard. it took a while to learn how the dodge system works against certain attacks but ive played lots of souls .. with the 20 minute food perk you can take a few hits and recover. a lot of monsters have at least 1 attack you cant dodge, you have to roll away from. and you cant wail on anything cos they have counter attacks that trigger if you hit them too many times in a row. griffiths are probably the hardest fights cos they have more than 1 unblockable attack that you can only avoid by being out of range of and they counter after like 2 light attacks

I love that 20 minute food perk. potions are cool and all but you can find raw meat and crate cheese everywhere

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

yes waiter ill have the raw meat with crate cheese

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i replace the 20 minute food perk once i get healing quen, but now i feel like a bitch for using that at all

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

this plus vodka is the entire diet of Velen peasants

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

this plus vodka is the entire diet of Velen peasants

Poles, you mean

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im playing this for the first time, what should I be putting ability points in?

im level 9 and I have points in muscle memory, resolve, fleet footed, melt armor and acquired tolerance.

also im overwhelmed by the number of quests jesus christ there's so many

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im level 9 and I have points in muscle memory, resolve, fleet footed, melt armor and acquired tolerance.

you can use your ability points however you like.. for example, if a particular ability catches your eye or otherwise seems useful to you, go ahead and drop a point in it. that was my philosophy anyways

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
even for a game named witcher 3 there are a lot of witches in this game

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you can always respec

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Start out with the physical stuff if you feel overwhelmed and then maybe switch to signs or alchemy when you Respec. I'd recommend the first few points in Axii so you can use it for hilarious hypnotism in dialog options

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mad jealous of people discovering W3 for the first time

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s not really possible to screw up your spec, I just kinda listened to my gut with no overall plan when choosing abilities and I never once felt like I did something wrong. I’d recommend just putting points into the standard “hitting things with your swords” skills to begin with and then just play around with signs, potions, etc until you find something that works for you to focus on.

julian assflange posted:

Mad jealous of people discovering W3 for the first time

:hai:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the alchemy tree is strong

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

i dont remember what its called but the shield sign is extremely powerful for learning/first time. like everyone else said though on normal or lower you can do whatever and be fine

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i'm playing on blood and broken bones and i've died quite a few times but it's not been outrageously hard

it seems like alchemy would be powerful but the first tier of abilities seems like they aren't all that useful except the one that lets you drink way more potions before you go blind with alcohol poisoning

every time i die its like "i didnt drink enough potions"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i dont remember what its called but the shield sign is extremely powerful for learning/first time. like everyone else said though on normal or lower you can do whatever and be fine

Yeah Quen is really excellently good and I used it a ton in my first playthrough while learning enemy attacks. Being able to take one hit without it doing any damage is nice

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
fleet footed doesnt seem to do anything useful

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

I.N.R.I posted:

fleet footed doesnt seem to do anything useful

if its maxed you wont take any damage while dodging, which makes you practically invincible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
also holy poo poo this game has so much to do.

i actually bought the game when it came out, but didn't play after killing the griffin due to having a ton of games out at the time, so it got shelved for awhile. it didn't seem like there was much "to do"

now that i made it out of the tutorial area for a few hours, every single thing i run into feels like its a main story quest. every character is actually interesting, and the game handles poo poo like correctly when you do things out of order like accidentally come across the middle of another quest.

• Locked thread