Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

He was directing that at me, friend

But I don't think that your points are all that useful because they're centering on "but it's not for him!"

That's kinda irrelevant to "bwm" discussions where he had autonomy in making those choices (though calling him bwm is a stretch given what we usually see here)

Luxuries are luxuries whether they are for you or your kids/wife/horse and this thread/that subreddit center on optimizing where your cash goes and identifying areas of waste

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No Butt Stuff posted:

he is middle class. hope this helps.

:can:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

Lol. Pound dogs are like $100-200 and that typically includes the initial vet report and shots.

:wtc:

If your pound is anything like mine there is a cottage industry of pet rescues that constantly scoop up any small or medium cute non pitbull dog and then charge 2-3x what the pound charges to adopt

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If your pound is anything like mine there is a cottage industry of pet rescues that constantly scoop up any small or medium cute non pitbull dog and then charge 2-3x what the pound charges to adopt

Now I want to move to LA and create a whole suite of puppy flipping reality TV shows.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

According to a quick google, employer contribution doesn't count against the limit until you reach the "combined employer and employee limit" of 53,000. You could approach it if you make a dickload of money and do an after-tax 401k instead of a before -tax one.

Ok I didn’t know that. The thing I described happened to my boss like 12 years ago so I could be misremembering or it was just different back then. He definitely didn’t make enough to be putting that much into his 401k.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
GWM tip, black kittens/cats are cheaper then ones that are not black. $20 shots and sterilization included.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah but they also have connections to spooky curses and poo poo

you must think I'm stupid if ya think I'm going to take any chances with the occult

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the fact "middle class" means "makes more than 90% of people in the US" is...:can:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

hailthefish posted:

Yeah, the fact "middle class" means "makes more than 90% of people in the US" is...:can:
It means that wealth is best looked at on a log scale, it's not that weird.

(And also maybe wealth's correlation with income breaking down as you go up? Not sure there.)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

hailthefish posted:

Oh no I totally agree with you. Reddit dude is definitely not middle class, and no butt stuff was most likely trolling. I meant that posts about "is 250k middle class" or "is 100k a high income" always draw pages of angry replies.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
maybe just maybe such simplified three-levels-of-degree terms are not actually very useful in discussions involving such complex topics

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A guy finances a mutt for $9k on an "about 30k" salary but wait, let's have the whole "who exactly is middle class" argument again

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Enfys posted:

A guy finances a mutt for $9k on an "about 30k" salary but wait, let's have the whole "who exactly is middle class" argument again

It sounds like people are recommending that the poster go to their local Attorney General's consumer protection division, so maybe they can actually make money off of this.

quote:

Info for you: http://ag.ks.gov/file-a-complaint Looks like the law in Kansas provides up to a $10,000 civil penalty plus legal fees if you can prove your case. I'd recommend checking with /r/legaladvice also

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Teeter posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7a08cq/petland_screwed_me_over/

Petland screwed me over

• Financed a dog
  • Took out a $3000 loan for a $2000 purchase(?!)
  • Did not read a single word of the contract they signed, is now locked in for biweekly payments with 144% interest

A puppy (loan) is for LIFE! Not just for Christmas.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m seeing a lot of twitter reactions to what I thought was fairly common retirement advice.

https://twitter.com/jeanchatzky/status/925712870179995648

Like I get if you don’t think you’ll ever be able to be able to retire and don’t think this advice applies to you, but I don’t think I’ll ever buy a house and I’m not upset about house maintenance advice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It should be annual expenditure right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Income is almost 2x expenditure (Taxes and whatnot), so 10x income at retirement means your expenditure would account to 5% of the total by year; seems logical to me.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
just quit your job one year before retirement and pick up a part time McDonald's gig, instant boost to your savings to income ratio bing bong so simple

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

zelah posted:

I’m seeing a lot of twitter reactions to what I thought was fairly common retirement advice.

https://twitter.com/jeanchatzky/status/925712870179995648

Like I get if you don’t think you’ll ever be able to be able to retire and don’t think this advice applies to you, but I don’t think I’ll ever buy a house and I’m not upset about house maintenance advice.

People who don't try to manage their money think it is too hard to manage money, so they feel bad and have to justify it to themselves.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Foma posted:

People who don't try to manage their money think it is too hard to manage money, so they feel bad and have to justify it to themselves.
"I can't set a budget, that's for poor people, besides I need some money to have fun and wait what do you mean that's part of a budget? You're lying."

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Income is almost 2x expenditure (Taxes and whatnot), so 10x income at retirement means your expenditure would account to 5% of the total by year; seems logical to me.

Plus you don't have to save for retirement anymore if you are looking at % of gross.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Foma posted:

There’s that, but there are also people who legitimately will never be able to save due to medical/legal/whatever reasons. And that sucks. But those people seem to specifically be acting attacked by what seems like OK retirement advice. Is this people feeling like wealth is tied to their ethical worth and being defensive at the idea that this advice could help anyone?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's almost like living in a society where your wealth is directly equated to your ethical worth and a lack of wealth is almost universally attributed to laziness or stupidity leads to people internalizing that poo poo. Especially when so much 'OK retirement advice' is couched in terms of "well maybe you could retire someday if you didn't eat avocado toast, stupid entitled millennial".

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
There's some decent content on r/pfjerk. I hope the 144% interest rate mongrel dog becomes the new bearded dragon.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

hailthefish posted:

It's almost like living in a society where your wealth is directly equated to your ethical worth and a lack of wealth is almost universally attributed to laziness or stupidity leads to people internalizing that poo poo. Especially when so much 'OK retirement advice' is couched in terms of "well maybe you could retire someday if you didn't eat avocado toast, stupid entitled millennial".

hmm yeah it hurts because it's true

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zo posted:

hmm yeah it hurts because it's true

It's not that forward looking budgeting is bad advice, but it can be a bit tone-deaf if not outright used as a distraction from the income side of the equation where inequality and lack of mobility have been systematically getting worse (eg avocado toast, the tweet doesn't seem to be in poor taste). "Yeah, poo poo sucks so pinch your pennies and hope for the best" isn't bad advice, but that means poo poo still sucks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

What I'm trying to figure out is who the gently caress is eating all these avocados? I have shares in a company that sells kiwifruit and avocados and the dividends are good. I suspect baby boomers are eating all of them.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Yes not everyone can save and it sucks, but the people bitching about that tweet are more "six figures in debt for an English degree" than "crippling poverty/racism/medical issues"

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Devian666 posted:

What I'm trying to figure out is who the gently caress is eating all these avocados? I have shares in a company that sells kiwifruit and avocados and the dividends are good. I suspect baby boomers are eating all of them.

the avocado toast thing isn't just a meme. a lot of people spend an incredible amount of money on stupid poo poo. this is where we laugh at their "misc - $1200" line in their terrible budget but then for some reason people itt turn around and say "oh avocado toast isn't going to buy you a house".

well. it might.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

zelah posted:

There’s that, but there are also people who legitimately will never be able to save due to medical/legal/whatever reasons. And that sucks. But those people seem to specifically be acting attacked by what seems like OK retirement advice. Is this people feeling like wealth is tied to their ethical worth and being defensive at the idea that this advice could help anyone?

Yeah and also there are people who legitimately never be able to save because there are millions and millions of extremely lovely jobs that don't pay living wage while physically exhausting and crippling the people that work them. Think Amazon warehouse stockers. We are heading towards an absolute crippling demographic wave of broke old people who didn't dutifully fill their 401(k)s at their minimum wage job and are going to depend upon the government to support them until they die in nursing homes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zo posted:

the avocado toast thing isn't just a meme. a lot of people spend an incredible amount of money on stupid poo poo. this is where we laugh at their "misc - $1200" line in their terrible budget but then for some reason people itt turn around and say "oh avocado toast isn't going to buy you a house".

well. it might.

The avocado toast thing is a meme because it originates from an interview with a tone-deaf Australian developer.

quote:

Asked if he believes young people will never own a home, he responded: “Absolutely, when you’re spending $40 a day on smashed avocados and coffees and not working. Of course.”
“When I had my first business when I was 19, I was in the gym at 6am in the morning, and I finished at 10.30 at night, and I did it seven days a week, and I did it until I could afford my first home. There was no discussions around, could I go out for breakfast, could I go out for dinner. I just worked.”

quote:

His grandfather gave him $34,000 to kickstart the project.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's amazing he had the time to start a business if he was in the gym from 6 am to 10 pm. I'm all for physical fitness but that sounds excessive.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
oh wow a whole $34000, and he only turned it into how many hundreds of millions?

people only called it tone deaf because, once again, the truth hurts

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Zo posted:

oh wow a whole $34000, and he only turned it into how many hundreds of millions?

Seriously that isn't that much money to start out with. I had that much saved up from internships before I was out of college and I didn't do anything impressive with it. People will tell themselves anything to avoid dealing with the fact that they can't afford to go out to eat every day and buy a car that's half their salary when they make $30k. We live in the most prosperous society in human history, you can afford to sock away 10% of your salary if you have even the tiniest amount of responsibility.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zo posted:

I feel like you're ignoring the part of his statement where he is just pulling poo poo out of his rear end. Like the whole spending $40 on smashed avocadoes bit, which is what sets off everyone's bullshit alarms, hence the meme

quote:

Asked if he believes young people will never own a home, he responded: “Absolutely, when you’re spending $40 a day on smashed avocados and coffees and not working. Of course.”

Do you really believe this? How many young professionals who don't own a home do you regularly interact with? More importantly, any data to back up these kinds of claims or is it just generational circlejerk, you think?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
a smashed avocado is $19 and then a couple of coffees and tax and you easily get to $40

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
well, that is certainly a candid point

Don't avocados and coffee come from the ground?? those idiot millenials should just go without their favorite staples for a few weeks, buy a house, and grow their own crops!

the investment would pay itself back in a cinch and as an added bonus they can grow weed too in order to fully maximize their unemployment experience

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
In the context of Australian and New Zealand House prices most people do not earn enough to save for a deposit. Home ownership is declining but at the same time the housing bubble peak has passed and prices are falling.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-01/auckland-house-price-drop-brings-kiwi-property-boom-to-an-end

quote:

In May, Goldman Sachs warned that New Zealand’s housing market was the most over-valued and most at risk of a correction among the G-10 economies -- those with the 10 most-traded currencies in the world.

That correction is getting underway right now. Credit has tightened and behind the scenes the Reserve Bank of New Zealand is being cautious about the risk models the banks are presenting. Might as well eat your avocados now if you are a millenial in New Zealand with the coming economic shitstorm.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

KingSlime posted:

well, that is certainly a candid point

Don't avocados and coffee come from the ground?? those idiot millenials should just go without their favorite staples for a few weeks, buy a house, and grow their own crops!

the investment would pay itself back in a cinch and as an added bonus they can grow weed too in order to fully maximize their unemployment experience

it's pretty funny that "making your own breakfast" or "brewing your own coffee" never crossed your mind before you flew off into an extremely millennialesque meltdown in false extreme fallacytown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zo posted:

a smashed avocado is $19 and then a couple of coffees and tax and you easily get to $40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_Qyk9DSUw