Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm late by two pages but here's a pretty in-depth petition in favor of the solar panel thing by a guy I know, it's a really complex trade issue (obviously) http://www.stewartlaw.com/Article/ViewArticle/1114

if you actually click on that and read it i salute you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

can't wait for trump to sign the cut cut cut act

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its actually pretty simple: Chinese subsidies made solar panels cheap enough to be a viable competitor for power generation. If we raise the costs of panels too high then installation will cease and the industry will devolve to pre-Chinese subsidy irrelevance.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

maintaining crappy lob applications built on obsolete technology is like 40% of every large company's budget at this point

ask me about evaluating emr options for a client

..wait, on second thought don't

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

its actually pretty simple: Chinese subsidies made solar panels cheap enough to be a viable competitor for power generation. If we raise the costs of panels too high then installation will cease and the industry will devolve to pre-Chinese subsidy irrelevance.
it's also a national security issue since we're becoming increasingly reliant on solar and so we absolutely need a domestic industry. ofc i'd rather go the subsidy direction than the tariff direction but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

just saying it's not blatant protectionism or attempts to defund green energy to build more coal plants

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we aren't increasingly reliant and solar power and even if we were its not about technology, its about cost. China is giving it to us for cheap, but if the incredibly unlikely happened and china decided to stop selling them, we'd start making them ourselves if they were worthwhile (they aren't).

we have so many other, better energy options (esp nat gas) and if you were actually concerned about the national security implications you'd be promoting funding for modernization of the nuclear power industry.

its absolutely 100% blatant protectionism but I agree it has nothing to do w/ coal.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
solar generation has doubled and doubled again and doubled again in the past 5ish years and nuclear's got more baggage than clinton attached to it so it doesn't matter how good it is, it's not happening

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in ontario we've massively subsidized solar and wind, both with rebates/tax incentives for capital costs and per-watt subsidies on generated power sold back to the grid.

the result has been both an increase in renewable generation and a massive increase in hydro prices. we're buying the power for 3x what we can sell it for outside ontario, whether we need it or not

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 1, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we're also still going ahead with decommissioning two of our nuclear plants in the coming decade with no planned replacements

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

solar generation has doubled and doubled again and doubled again in the past 5ish years and nuclear's got more baggage than clinton attached to it so it doesn't matter how good it is, it's not happening

solar has double and doubled again from nothing to nothing and a half. and its only done so because of Chinese subsidies.

nuclear is always an option if we ever end up caring about safe and clean power generation but that's not what any of this is about.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
who’s got that chart showing the actual spiking solar growth w/ the little conservative predictions running flatly off each year

that thing was hilarious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
found it

https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/866313289306963969

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

reverse_itanium.jpeg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

e: beaten

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tori.jpg

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reminder: tori is literally 4’20” tall

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You Shouldn't Spend Your Life Seeking Money, Says Multi-Billionaire

qirex posted:

e: beaten

i don't even know what an itanium is

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Remind us what the IEA is?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Schadenboner posted:

Remind us what the IEA is?

International Energy Assholes

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

International Energy Assholes

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/925806849928126466

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bitcoin is the 'rolling coal' of the computer-touchers

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

we're also still going ahead with decommissioning two of our nuclear plants in the coming decade with no planned replacements

lol. did they ever close the coal plant out by simcoe? you could see the container ships unloading on the lake every day. my parents had a boat and you'd have to wash it weekly from all the soot that would come down. they blamed the history of tobacco farming for people's lung problems around there but i have my doubts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm glad the currency of the future is so efficient!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol. did they ever close the coal plant out by simcoe? you could see the container ships unloading on the lake every day. my parents had a boat and you'd have to wash it weekly from all the soot that would come down. they blamed the history of tobacco farming for people's lung problems around there but i have my doubts.

lomarf @ blaming tobacco farming for lung disease. nothing about burning and inhaling it, no, that plant's just bad for your lungs

tobacco is botanically related to potatoes and eggplants. where are all the eggplant farmers dying of emphysema

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean workers on tobacco plantations famously had a whole bunch of lovely health issues, which is kind of why slavery was such an important part of the process in Virginia etc

Tobacco isn't a nice plant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well yeah. nicotine is acutely toxic -- the plant makes it as an insecticide. it causes all kinds of health issues in tobacco workers.

lung problems, though, are not inherent to Nicotina tabacum. you get lung disease from inhaling smoke, regardless of its source.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

they're going to develop modular housing for responsive building layouts, but instead of real world modular housing (aka shipping containers) it'll be all airy glass

shipping containers are loving garbage for housing

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
naw i mean like, culturally. everyone grew tobacco, thus everyone smoked, thus people nowadays are more likely to be smokers. they didn't directly blame nicotine absorption through skin contact to the leaves, though i've heard that's a risk for fieldworkers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

shipping containers are loving garbage for housing

no poo poo. but that's still the state of the art for cheap modular low-rise housing, like the stuff in the sidewalk rfp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

afaik yeah, i don't think we have any active coal plants left

hilariously, those tobacco farms in simcoe went all in on the solar bandwagon when the subsidies were goodd

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sagebrush posted:

You Shouldn't Spend Your Life Seeking Money, Says Multi-Billionaire

i don't even know what an itanium is

Itanium (IA64) was HP/Intel’s answer to AMDs x86-64, unfortunately it suffered all kinds of problems and was massively more expensive. It lumbered on until this year when they finally killed it for good.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

sufficiently smart compiler: the microarchitecture

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Glazier posted:

Itanium (IA64) was HP/Intel’s answer to AMDs x86-64, unfortunately it suffered all kinds of problems and was massively more expensive. It lumbered on until this year when they finally killed it for good.

Itanium predated x86-64 by like eight years

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

apparently manufacturing mass market goods is more challenging than hand-building luxury items if only we'd known this at some point since the birth of assembly line manufacturing in the 18th century and now

so will it be ford or gm that buys up tesla?

oooh or maybe it'll be someone crazy like kia

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

exploded mummy posted:

can't wait for trump to sign the cut cut cut act

lol nah republicans can't even figure that one out. they're entirely bankrupt intellectually and are only capable of existing as a minority opposition party.

watch as they sit and do nothing but wail about hillary until they finally get voted back out

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It'd be more accurate to say that x86-64 is the result of amd looking at itanium and saying "hmm, I think we can come up with something that's less of a garbage fire"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was more a response to the death of alpha iirc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they'll keep wailing about hilary because the democrats will run her again in 2020 and ensure trump's second term

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bhodi posted:

I'm late by two pages but here's a pretty in-depth petition in favor of the solar panel thing by a guy I know, it's a really complex trade issue (obviously) http://www.stewartlaw.com/Article/ViewArticle/1114

if you actually click on that and read it i salute you

yeah it is pretty hard to not come to the conclusion that Chinese panel and PV imports destroyed the producers in the US and as that article points out the provisions being argued over don't actually require any proof that the Chinese are unfairly subsidizing or dumping panels.

I mean they are but proving it is a real pain in the rear end. US producers would be hard up to stay price competitive due to the much lower environmental and safety standards that a Chinese plant has to adhere to, to say nothing of mysterious blindness that low level regulatory inspectors there tend to acquire in the presence of cash.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I stand corrected, always happy to learn 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Since this I'd also the sf thread. Stay classy noise bridge