Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Curtains might help. And maybe it isn't a big deal with modern construction.
If you've never slept on a floor mattress you might not realize that one of the reasons bedframes exist is that the floor air is a couple degrees colder. That small difference can be cold enough to make your nose cold. I hate a cold nose.

Mattress on the floor was how you beat the heat during summer for my grandparents. Then air-conditioning came along and they didn't got really confused by even sleeping platforms because who wants to sleep on the floor when you have can just turn the temp down a little and be comfortable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

learnincurve posted:

If you have a small child they will absolutely definitely vomit all over the bed and a 5ft radius around it

Pretty sure giving them the high ground in this scenario isn't gonna make things any better.

Anyhow, in my experience, small kids (like 3 and under) just puke wherever they god drat please. :barf::barf::barf:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I once woke up and threw up so naturally went to look for my mummy and daddy. Didn’t know what time it was but the living room light was on so I headed off down the hallway, throwing up every few feet, only to find my parents were not in there. So I headed back down the hallway now not only throwing up but treading all the previous piles of sick into the carpet as I went like some sort of enormous projectile vomiting snail. This is the point my dad came out of his room to find out what the noise was.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do kids vomit a lot? I think I was sick enough to throw up maybe once in my entire childhood and a couple times from drinking in my teens. Throwing up sucks, but I don't plan my interior design around it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It depends a lot on the school they go to and thier sick kid policy. But the UK currently has a horrible unbeatable old people culling flu epidemic, and has had so for at least 10 years so the flu is really common in winter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

Do kids vomit a lot? I think I was sick enough to throw up maybe once in my entire childhood and a couple times from drinking in my teens. Throwing up sucks, but I don't plan my interior design around it.

Would you remember the times you threw up when you were 2 or 3 or 4 years old? Sure, if a 10 year old is vomiting all the time something is fucky, but preschoolers are weird. Some get stomach explosions, some get tonsillitis 10 times in 5 years, some get screaming earaches after every time their their ear touches water. You never know what you're going to get.

I wouldn't plan my entire house around it, but if you have a baby or preschooler when decorating their bedroom it's probably best to assume that the tiny child may make horrible messes with no warning. Sometimes toddlers use the contents of their diaper as finger paints. Kids are gross.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Futons go directly on the floor but you're supposed to fold them up during the daytime, and air them outside on sunny days.
I recently saw a celebrity interview talking about his poor younger days. He left his futon on the floor, unmoving for 10 years. Not only were futon and the tatami underneath it black with mold, but the moisture damage went so deep the floor beams were rotten.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hang on a second, if you are buying bunk beds for children you are already furnishing your house around them lol.

A 2 year old can cover about 2ft by 4ft of wall in black crayon in the time it takes you to run to the toilet and back. It won’t matter if there are any crayons in the room or not, they will have planned this well in advance and hidden it about their person.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I once woke up and threw up so naturally went to look for my mummy and daddy. Didn’t know what time it was but the living room light was on so I headed off down the hallway, throwing up every few feet, only to find my parents were not in there. So I headed back down the hallway now not only throwing up but treading all the previous piles of sick into the carpet as I went like some sort of enormous projectile vomiting snail. This is the point my dad came out of his room to find out what the noise was.

My older brother loves to remind me of the time I woke up feeling sick, walked down the hall, and instead of turning right into the bathroom turned left into his room to puke all over the floor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My sister managed to vomit on my head TWICE as a child.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Been a while since I've posted House Staging That Annoys Me

Bare lightbulb chandelier: very funny. To go with your poverty-chic chairs. Can someone save that poor plant?

How not to stage an "office nook". The hell do you expect me to actually do with that tiny desk? Certainly not work. And boy, "put a bird on it" was accurate about Portland.

Oh wait, you wanted upper cabinet space in your kitchen? Too bad, we made it a wall of shadowboxes for cheap white porcelain that nobody uses. At least china cabinets tell people you're rich, this just says "I don't have cups".

And you spend all that money on a kitchen remodel but keep the ugly linoleum floors?

What's trendier than fake dead deer heads on the wall? Fake puppy heads on the wall, apparently. MORE LINOLEUM.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 2, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

Oh wait, you wanted upper cabinet space in your kitchen? Too bad, we made it a wall of shadowboxes for cheap white porcelain that nobody uses. At least china cabinets tell people you're rich, this just says "I don't have cups".

And you spend all that money on a kitchen remodel but keep the ugly linoleum floors?

What do you mean staged? I totally believe that a real family lives here and eats meals prepared in this kitchen every day.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

It's been a while since I've been a child, but I probably definitely would be severely distressed to have POOR LIL PUPPER DOGGOS HEADS on my loving bedroom wall. What the christ. Rich people are sociopaths.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

What do you mean staged? I totally believe that a real family lives here and eats meals prepared in this kitchen every day.

My biggest kitchen pet peeve other than no cabinet space is having the stove all alone on a wall with zero counter space nearby. Like if I'm making a stir fry or something and I have to throw stuff in the pan/pot real quick I need it right there with me, not on the other side of the room.

But something even more important is conspicuously absent in this newly renovated kitchen in a $715,000 house...

Range hoods are so passé.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

Not really sure what you think they did to this kitchen but in my estimation they just took the doors off the uppers, painted everything and put new pulls on. Looks pretty good IMO for probably like $100 in paint and $100 in pulls aside from whatever the appliances and countertop cost.

That house is a little trend heavy but it looks pretty nice overall.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Youth Decay posted:

My biggest kitchen pet peeve other than no cabinet space is having the stove all alone on a wall with zero counter space nearby. Like if I'm making a stir fry or something and I have to throw stuff in the pan/pot real quick I need it right there with me, not on the other side of the room.

But something even more important is conspicuously absent in this newly renovated kitchen in a $715,000 house...

As someone who curses his kitchen every day for not having a decent hood, gently caress everything about this.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah just put the oven over there against that wall who gives a poo poo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"And put the microwave next to it on the bottom of this IKEA rack, whatever"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

stupid puma posted:

Not really sure what you think they did to this kitchen but in my estimation they just took the doors off the uppers, painted everything and put new pulls on. Looks pretty good IMO for probably like $100 in paint and $100 in pulls aside from whatever the appliances and countertop cost.

That house is a little trend heavy but it looks pretty nice overall.

My point is they made it look ~on trend~ from the ground up, put in new appliances/fixtures/countertops/subway tile backsplash but didn't bother swapping the ugly orange linoleum like nobody would notice. Looks like the rest of the first floor is new laminate so idk why they couldn't have put in tile or cork there. Or why there is new carpet in the master bedroom but the kid gets stuck with the same orange linoleum.

Granted it's Portland so they probably could've done nothing to the kitchen and sold the place for above asking but still bugs me.

Aunt Dahlia
Nov 25, 2009
It actually looks like a cork floor, which is what's listed in the "Property Features" section.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

"And put the microwave next to it on the bottom of this IKEA rack, whatever"

I love bending over nearly to floor level to retrieve my hot pockets from the microwave. This is totally normal.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That little lamp is going to cause some awful shadows when you're facing the lonely stove and everything else along a wall. Seriously wtc can you do with the stove like that. At least the sink counter zone would be functional in an office.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

It's been a while since I've been a child, but I probably definitely would be severely distressed to have POOR LIL PUPPER DOGGOS HEADS on my loving bedroom wall. What the christ. Rich people are sociopaths.

Rich? Hardly. Every last thing in that room came from Target. Those heads are $20 each. The teepee is $80. Lamps run about $40. Can't remember the prices on the rug or the bedspread, but I've seen them in the store.

Yes, this post makes me sound pathetic. There's a Target half a mile from my house, and we just end up there a lot, okay?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

DO
MORE
OF
WHAT
MAKES
YOU
HAPPY

encouragement as you struggle with the no-counter-space stove, I guess

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The real reason you don’t put a mattress on the floor is because then Roomba can’t clean under the bed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

The real reason you don’t put a mattress on the floor is because then Roomba can’t clean under the bed.

Clean what? Ninja dust?

Youth Decay posted:

I thought you were going to say "doors".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My other unit turned up :D I am fully aware that a lot of people are going to absolutely hate these.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Bare lightbulb chandelier: very funny. To go with your poverty-chic chairs. Can someone save that poor plant?

You joke but this is basically how every staged house/apartment in Sweden looks.

None of these are dorm rooms, they're all €300k-500k downtown apartments.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

learnincurve posted:

My other unit turned up :D I am fully aware that a lot of people are going to absolutely hate these.

Regardless of whether or not I'd buy it I hate to see waste, so you bringing these two back together and caring for them is great to see.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I love them.

Also some of you may remember me posting about my Never Ending renovation escapades at that 1960s bungalow I bought in the outskirts of Perth, Western Australia.

Well, we put the first cost of floor polish on yesterday and my word

It looks even better in person. Jarrah is a fantastic timber, it's hard as all hell but has a beautiful grain and lots of character.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

cakesmith handyman posted:

Regardless of whether or not I'd buy it I hate to see waste, so you bringing these two back together and caring for them is great to see.

I have a really boring theory as to what they are and in my history nerd way this is why I was desperate to save the first one, the second was just “holy poo poo who splits up sets and gives them to different charities”

Here’s what I think has happened; In the UK there are cheap pine furniture shops, not many of them left now because of ikea. In the 1990s you would get adverts saying “prices start from £50!” with pictures of really great units or tables on them and these would be the ones in the shop front. On entering the store you would find that those display units were hand or specially made and cost thousands, and everything else inside was pure poo poo. I think these are two of the big display pieces.

One of the main reasons for this theory is the lead in the glass. They are absolutely the wrong style and colour for department and upmarket stores in the 1990s, we can date it as 1990s because of the hinges, light fittings and screws. Fake lead in glass is what you would see in pine furniture world land. The lead in these units is real.

No they are not worth a lot of money right now, the value for me is that right now they are so rare, in 20 years time they will be the only ones left. 100 years time they are the kind of thing that antiques roadshow experts get really enthusiastic and exited about, before telling the owner they are worth nothing but isn’t it amazing that they own a unique and functional set of furniture.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Passive aggressive goals.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Passive aggressive goals.

Does she
a) hate the cabinets
b) hate you
c) really not care what furniture her son bought

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also I'm thinking now the same thing I thought when you posted the pic and I remembered you previously saying this was the "smaller half". It's also huge! If anything it looks bigger.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

You going to varnish them?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My mother will absolutely hate them with a burning passion. Put it this way: My mother would like to speak to your manager please.

I honestly didn’t know just how big it was until it got here. There must have been some sort of step down level it was on behind all that MCM. Imagine my surprise...

I’m not going to varnish, wax maybe, the wood itself has been really well taken care of so it’s not a restoration job.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I am not seeing them as a matching set. They have similarities but also differences. The lower cabinet doors are of completely different designs and the wood looks like different species judging by the grain. However the glass doors and trim over the openings are clearly the same design.

I don't know, I get the feeling they are of the same carpenter but not built as a set. Do you see a carpenters mark on the back or bottom, there might be a date next to it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

Rich? Hardly. Every last thing in that room came from Target. Those heads are $20 each. The teepee is $80. Lamps run about $40. Can't remember the prices on the rug or the bedspread, but I've seen them in the store.

Yes, this post makes me sound pathetic. There's a Target half a mile from my house, and we just end up there a lot, okay?

Not pathetic, just familiar with weird decorations. Eh, my only experience with quirky animals heads are those 100+ usd unicorn heads from etsy. My bad, but at least no one is unironically blowing 300 bux on puppy heads.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

JEEVES420 posted:

I am not seeing them as a matching set. They have similarities but also differences. The lower cabinet doors are of completely different designs and the wood looks like different species judging by the grain. However the glass doors and trim over the openings are clearly the same design.

I don't know, I get the feeling they are of the same carpenter but not built as a set. Do you see a carpenters mark on the back or bottom, there might be a date next to it.

There are a few other differences, the shelves in one cabinet are glass, the other wood. One has lighting, the other does not. The dresser has crisper edges on the counter top, magnetic catches and weird grooves like it’s meant for displaying plates, but nothing has ever been hung down from it.

I paid a grand total of £90 combined for them, “you can’t go wrong for £90” quoth the Mr LC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

What's trendier than fake dead deer heads on the wall? Fake puppy heads on the wall, apparently. MORE LINOLEUM.

Kid killed Cerberus. Let him have his spoils.