Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

M_Gargantua posted:

lack of peanut butter

A man can only be pushed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

lack of peanut butter

I would have literally starved.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

lack of peanut butter

gently caress that, lack of hot sauce.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
We've spent the last two days we were supposed to be in Sri Lanka doing not liberty in Sri Lanka as literally none of services provided were compatible with the aircraft carrier. Lots of anonymous cartoons of Fat Leonard are popping up around the ship which is kind of funny but getting screwed out of a liberty port sucks.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How are you posting on SA from the ship? I got blasted the first time I loaded the site.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

How are you posting on SA from the ship? I got blasted the first time I loaded the site.

Lol if you weren't part of the RC exempt list

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Be an IT or know who works in the comm shack. I was browsing SA for both deployments I did, it was the only thing that kept me sane.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

gently caress that, lack of hot sauce.

lol if you don't have your own

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

We've spent the last two days we were supposed to be in Sri Lanka doing not liberty in Sri Lanka as literally none of services provided were compatible with the aircraft carrier. Lots of anonymous cartoons of Fat Leonard are popping up around the ship which is kind of funny but getting screwed out of a liberty port sucks.

Sounds like someone else is skimming off the top. They are just too stupid to make it seem plausible.

Port services cost breakdowns were my favorite message traffic to read.

Edit: especially when the stuff provided is super subpar

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Laranzu posted:

Sounds like someone else is skimming off the top. They are just too stupid to make it seem plausible.

Port services cost breakdowns were my favorite message traffic to read.

Edit: especially when the stuff provided is super subpar

I dont think so. It was sheer buffoonery.

And I didn't make it clear earlier; the Fat Leonard cartoons were not to suggest that there was some sort of that activity going on. Instead there were captions of pictures of him that said things "Miss me now?" and "No Leonard, mo' problems."

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

And I didn't make it clear earlier; the Fat Leonard cartoons were not to suggest that there was some sort of that activity going on. Instead there were captions of pictures of him that said things "Miss me now?" and "No Leonard, mo' problems."

That was pretty clear. At least with Leonard around you got something.

And herpes.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah our trip to Thailand was similar. All of the port services folks were so used to skimming off the top that it was a gently caress ton harder for the new company to get anything done when they had to account for every dollar spent. Everyone had their hand out looking for kickbacks and when they didn't get them nothing showed up on time.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If the navy can't figure out how to deliver to me PQSs (i.e. have a functional website from which one can download them) I shouldn't have to do them.

Edit: also southeast Asia runs on graft

piL fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 30, 2017

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

M_Gargantua posted:

lack of peanut butter

During this underway I just walked off of, there was peanut butter, jelly, and bread. None of these things were available in the same place on the same day until the day before we pulled in.

Somewhere, someone knew. They did it just to hurt people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Red Crown posted:

Somewhere, someone at NAVSEA is writing up a classified PSYOPS report on the "PB&J Paradox."

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Following in the proud traditions set by the Office of Naval Research.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Red Crown posted:

During this underway I just walked off of, there was peanut butter, jelly, and bread. None of these things were available in the same place on the same day until the day before we pulled in.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rationale was along the lines of "if we put out all three at the same time, people will make PBJ and eat all of it. If we put them out separately, the demand goes way down and the supplies last longer". I heard the same mindset with good cereal that was hidden away: "if we just put it out on the racks, people will eat it!"

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the rationale was along the lines of "if we put out all three at the same time, people will make PBJ and eat all of it. If we put them out separately, the demand goes way down and the supplies last longer". I heard the same mindset with good cereal that was hidden away: "if we just put it out on the racks, people will eat it!"

First deployment I went on the night baker made the mistake of making cinnamon rolls one night for the mid watch rotation. Turns out that the dept. heads really liked them, so they started demanding them every night. Was pretty nice since mid rats was usually inedible. Dude got tired of making the, though, so he started letting them proof with chopped up onions or something. They smelled great, but tasted like stale onions so the demand for them eventually went away.

Second deployment one of the cooks made really good chicken parms, but they got too popular so the CS's had to invent ways to gently caress them up, like making the breading soggy, or not putting breading on them, or overcooking them, or not putting cheese on them.

Man, gently caress CS's....

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

One of my buddies was a CS and he would make me loving amazing food for midrats. Like one time I rolled into my shop with an omlette made with real eggs that had loving everything in it, along with real cheese. I'm pretty sure he raided the captain's stores for the real cheese, because even in the wardrooms the officers were eating that microwave-proof yellow government bullshit "cheese".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I did some volunteer work on the Turner-Joy a Vietnam era destroyer and was told a story by one of the old timers about how the CS at the time got pulled from the boat without replacement so officer in charge of ships supplies combed through the crew and found some italian guy who could cook up a killer spaghetti and meatballs. The crew was so happy with quality of food that he let him go a bit overboard with the supply ordering. The officer realized he had gone way way overbudget. Shortly after while on station they came underfire and his office took a direct hit from a shore battery. After damage control did what they could he went to the room and was half-hoping his records got destroyed. Sadly they were in a box untouched by the destruction to his office.
So he pitched them out the shell-hole. Problem solved.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

First deployment I went on the night baker made the mistake of making cinnamon rolls one night for the mid watch rotation. Turns out that the dept. heads really liked them, so they started demanding them every night. Was pretty nice since mid rats was usually inedible. Dude got tired of making the, though, so he started letting them proof with chopped up onions or something. They smelled great, but tasted like stale onions so the demand for them eventually went away.

Second deployment one of the cooks made really good chicken parms, but they got too popular so the CS's had to invent ways to gently caress them up, like making the breading soggy, or not putting breading on them, or overcooking them, or not putting cheese on them.

That first pac the supply department was also 15k over budget from setting out cereal for every meal...

Ceric
Aug 17, 2012

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2017/11/01/navy-crews-at-fault-in-fatal-collisions-investigations-find/

Holy poo poo the McCain wtf who trained the bridge team.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Jesus loving Christ. That JSM summary. My God. :cripes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

there is some bad writing in there, but holy loving :lol:

For people that don't want to read through the whole things - McCain's skipper decided to set sea and anchor at 6 am instead of 5 am when they entered the SoM. Some dumb SN was still on watch at the helm and wasn't very good at keeping a tight course. Since the sea and anchor watchteam is still eating chow, the captain decides to have CCS control the lee helm so the helmsman can focus more on steering. The helmsman didn't know how to transfer control, and ends up transferring control of the steering to aft steering before he sends the throttle controls to CCS. He freaks because of loss of steering (rudder is amidships because that's where the aft helm was set). Skipper orders CCS to bring throttle to 5 knots while they sort it out. CCS only slows port shaft to 5 kts while stbd is still running at 20. They already had a hard current pushing them to port so they basically just flew sideways.

loving fitz team was all sitting on the port bridgewing dicking around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Jesus loving Christ. That JSM summary. My God. :cripes:

I was having trouble parsing the article then I realized, gently caress me he didn't get a lee helm in the pilothouse he sent that poo poo to CCS and the helmsman just flat didn't know how to transfer it down. He drove into the strait of malacca with a god damned rookie at the helm.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also if you've never seen a DDG helm, it's pretty obvious which console has control. They may have still been at darken ship, but it's a lit up button on the console regardless.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also if you've never seen a DDG helm, it's pretty obvious which console has control. They may have still been at darken ship, but it's a lit up button on the console regardless.

I haven't, so what is it like sending lee helm to somewhere else? Does the conn give a rudder order and then call down every time?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was honestly wondering why there wasn't some kind of indicator for that. If there is, then it's even more of a :wtf:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That McCain writeup.... :stare:

When these happened I felt personally pained because I feel like anyone who has ever manned a bridge can relate, but now I'm just angry.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Christ that sucks.

I guess that's what happens when you create a system where the people who steer the ships are selected from the bottom of the barrel of ASVAB scores.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I sort of feel bad for the helmsman who will probably blame himself for the rest of his life, but was obviously badly trained and probably qualified through an inadequate qual process.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Bet you nobody replaced the indicator lightbulb

all they needed was a skilcraft pen

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
More power points, ibuprofen and hydration is the true need

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Laranzu posted:

More power points, ibuprofen and hydration is the true need

Please do not post what I did today.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:stonk: both of those loving stories

Anyways hi guys, I've been thinking about joining the Navy! I have an engineering degree and was thinking about the Civil Engineering Corps. Back in college, I almost signed up for the collegiate program, but accepted a different job for 2 years instead. But I did take the ASVAB test. I got like 74 out of 80?

I've seen a few stats that say about 70% of them work in the states, and that including living allowances, they might make about 60k a year in California. I don't mind moving, I've been overseas before, but California salaries are the easiest reference point for me, and that salary seems about 10k lower than private work, exactly within my expectations.

Have you met any CEC people? Are they mostly cool and happy? Can I just have the alcohol addiction, or is a painkiller addiction also mandatory?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. Whole lot going on with that. Have you considered going undesignated and seeing some more career choices first hand?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I'm not really interested in nuclear or information warfare or any of the other designations. My heart is pretty much set on some form of engineering and logistics. So I figure I finish up my current job and apply to OCS next year.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

bengy81 posted:

Merchant ship story;

Wa on a ro-ro with loving terrible stewards and chief cook. They would put a tray of cold cuts in the fridge every night for the late watches. But they would not change out cold cuts, just add to them, therefore tray of rancid cold cuts sat in fridge for days and days. An AB took the tray one day and thru it overboard. The cook was pissed because he used his "nice" silver platter.
I lost 20 lbs in under 90 days on that thing. First port that I had time to eat was in Morocco... I ate like I'd never eat again.
Also, the cook would take spoiled milk and mix it with fresh milk in pitchers for the crew to use, to make it go further.
No one used milk until we got restocked with ultrapasturized goat milk in Kuwait.
I developed a complex lasting years that every time i went to a new boat I'd no poo poo bring like $500 bucks worth of cliff bars, meal replacement shakes, etc to make sure I wasn't gonna starve.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I'm not really interested in nuclear or information warfare or any of the other designations. My heart is pretty much set on some form of engineering and logistics. So I figure I finish up my current job and apply to OCS next year.

As long as you're not stupid enough to enlist with a degree you're starting off on the right foot. I'm sure there's some OCS goons who can cue you in on what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you want a Navy career that will not make you want to shoot yourself in the face, be a supply officer.