Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

sexpig by night posted:

oh right and his signature, favorite, pokemon is a big scary monster bug that actually is very afraid of being hit too much.

Nope, nothin goin on there.

:aaaaa: holy poo poo I never put that piece together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
So I am probably gonna pick up a 2DS and wait for the Ultra's to release.

I also checked for the Virtual Store versions of the games so I can go back and "catch'em all" and see that they have Blue/Red/Yellow/Gold/Silver available.

Does anyone know if they have plans to release Fire Red/Leaf Green/Emerald on the virtual store and if so when that might be?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Golisopod isn't afraid, he's a brilliant tactician.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Does anyone know if they have plans to release Fire Red/Leaf Green/Emerald on the virtual store and if so when that might be?

In the year 2026, to celebrate the 30th anniversary

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

theSpokeyDokey posted:

I also checked for the Virtual Store versions of the games so I can go back and "catch'em all" and see that they have Blue/Red/Yellow/Gold/Silver available.

No plans or chance of that happening as far as I know.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Those are GBA games so probably never for the 3DS. The only GBA games they ever released were the 10 apology ambassador program ones years ago. WiiU got some GBA in its virtual console so they might get a Switch release at some point.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have a particularly interesting idea of what relatable is if you consider the mafia relatable. Team Skull is by far the most relatable because the characters are written in a way that's very much realistic, they're just normal people that went off the right path, hosed up in life, and now feel everything was against them and search for comfort in the closet thing to a family they could find. They're basically a real gang.

Dabir posted:

Team Rocket's competition for relatability:
Complete morons who want to unleash an ancient god upon the world and have done exactly no research into what effects this could have.
Complete morons who are just doing what a really weird man told them to, and his plan is to erase reality and start over.
PETA. Then the bits of PETA who are actually just assholes deep down.
Rich dickheads who are absolutely fine with every other human being killed as long as they, personally, survive, and worst of all they think those suits look good.
Team Skull.

Rocket just want to get paid and spotted a niche they could fill: Dirty, dirty crime.

Basically this.

That was why I specified in my post that their motivations aren't rear end Stupid.

I'm not saying I agree or that I would join the Poké-Mafia or Poké-Juggalos, I'm saying that I can at least understand them as a motivation, compared to the non-Rocket and Skull teams.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

the_steve posted:

Basically this.

That was why I specified in my post that their motivations aren't rear end Stupid.

I'm not saying I agree or that I would join the Poké-Mafia or Poké-Juggalos, I'm saying that I can at least understand them as a motivation, compared to the non-Rocket and Skull teams.

Pokemon PETA is easily the most relatable though. And the 'gently caress you, got mine' rich people one is pretty relatable for rich people :v: And the cult is a cult, their whole thing is preying on damaged or scared people.

The only truly idiotic ones are Aqua/Magma imo. They kinda go for ecoterrorism but wimp out and make everyone involved a moron instead. If they were like blowing up Devon Co. plants that were polluting the environment or something they'd actually worl.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they tried to blow up a volcano

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

they tried to blow up a volcano

While standing on top of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even as a kid I couldn't believe how stupid they were during that scene

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'd say Team Skull is kind of relatable since they're just the dumb screw up kids from bad homes or who just couldn't cut it in the trainer world who banded together to feel stronger. They have somewhat depressing backstories and are just being used by someone much worse than them to aid their own plans.

Zore posted:

Pokemon PETA is easily the most relatable though. And the 'gently caress you, got mine' rich people one is pretty relatable for rich people :v: And the cult is a cult, their whole thing is preying on damaged or scared people.

The only truly idiotic ones are Aqua/Magma imo. They kinda go for ecoterrorism but wimp out and make everyone involved a moron instead. If they were like blowing up Devon Co. plants that were polluting the environment or something they'd actually worl.

Yeah, they're just morons. The others who have utterly stupid grunts are clearly being manipulated by a higher villain or are playing a part because they want a piece of the action, but only in the case of those two are the leaders just as blind as the followers.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Miror B should be in on the ultras

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Countblanc posted:

I love that Wimpod and Golisopod have different abilities

Wimp Out posted:

The Pokémon cowardly switches out when its HP becomes half or less.

Emergency Exit posted:

The Pokémon, sensing danger, switches out when its HP becomes half or less.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

the_steve posted:

Basically this.

Aether is pretty good, it's just that while 99% of Aether are genuine reasonable and intelligent poke-conservationists who aren't even off the deep end as Poke-PETA, the 1% is literally completely batshit insane, LUSAMINE (and Faba and the people who participated in making the Type: Full project etc etc).

EDIT: Basically as far as I can tell the Aether Foundation is a legit humanitarian organization that Lusamine is also using as a method of hiding the resources for sketchy projects she's doing. Which is pretty smart.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I barely even think of the Aether Foundation as an evil team. I mean, they don't even have "Team" in their name. What the gently caress! Not to mention they make sense as an organization.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aether and Skull are both very good villain groups. It's only the leadership who are really doing bad things and basically all of the grunts on both sides are decent folk and at worst kinda jerks, except for a few Aether scientists that helped Lusamine with Null. And even those guys had nothing to do with Lusamine's crazy ultra-beast scheme, that's just all her and I guess maybe Guzma was in on it.

They're all good dudes.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

he's a giant dumbass

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

durr big smart bug doesnt know what a pointed stone is

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ruggington posted:

how is he supposed to, they’re stealthy

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

sexpig by night posted:

oh right and his signature, favorite, pokemon is a big scary monster bug that actually is very afraid of being hit too much.

Nope, nothin goin on there.

Holy gently caress not to mention the first stage is WIMPod.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

My Gamestop had leftover Marshadow codes, so I have five (5) free codes to goons who missed their chance at him. Post a picture of a ghost pokemon or any other pokemon appropriate for Dia de los Muertos and I'll send you a code over PMs until I run out.

[x]

e: All codes sent to good/goon homes. Enjoy your spooky punch pals! :ghost:

Squats fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 2, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

Look even mega Alakazam can't avoid them and his IQ is like 3500

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

I love that Wimpod and Golisopod have different abilities

I choose to believe somehow Ya Boy was the first guy to nurture a Wimpod enough to get a Golisopod and he demanded the description be different.

"IT'S A TACTICAL RETREAT, PROFESSOR, GAH! THIS IS WHY I'M RUNNING AWAY!"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone else miss the comparatively low stakes of the first two games?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Sun and Moons plot ended up being an evil mum and her strange gangster friend leaving to another dimension to stare at some jellyfish. With there being no real stakes beyond getting some closure by beating them up and bringing them home.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Beachcomber posted:

No

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Sun and Moons plot ended up being an evil mum and her strange gangster friend leaving to another dimension to stare at some jellyfish. With there being no real stakes beyond getting some closure by beating them up and bringing them home.

Wasn't the whole thing that once she bonded with the ultra beast, they were going to invade our world?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Beachcomber posted:

Lower stakes than stopping bus stop stealing hooligans?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Wasn't the whole thing that once she bonded with the ultra beast, they were going to invade our world?

Lusamine seemed really cool with just staying in the Jellyfish zone forever because she is hella insane. Her whole motivation was basically just to get some ultra beasts due to her obsession and she was cool with them destroying Alola once she got them to show up, but they kinda didn't end up doing that. And then once she chases the Nihelgo she basically gets what she want through Jellyfish assimilation so she's pretty good with just sticking around with the objects of her obsession and none of the things she hates.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Geostomp posted:

I'd say Team Skull is kind of relatable since they're just the dumb screw up kids from bad homes or who just couldn't cut it in the trainer world who banded together to feel stronger. They have somewhat depressing backstories and are just being used by someone much worse than them to aid their own plans.

Yeah, they're just morons. The others who have utterly stupid grunts are clearly being manipulated by a higher villain or are playing a part because they want a piece of the action, but only in the case of those two are the leaders just as blind as the followers.

At least Alpha Sapphire made it better by redesigning Archie to the point where he looks like someone that would do something that stupid.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Squats posted:

My Gamestop had leftover Marshadow codes, so I have five (5) free codes to goons who missed their chance at him. Post a picture of a ghost pokemon or any other pokemon appropriate for Dia de los Muertos and I'll send you a code over PMs until I run out.

[x]

Smug Mismagius for your troubles

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Yah

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beachcomber posted:

Sun and Moon did it best by having one team whose stakes were even lower because they were, alone, just lame bullies, and then one that was genuinely dangerous but only due to obsession with a single thing thanks to their clinically insane leader.

I genuinely don't miss the comparatively low stakes of the first two games. Especially the second, where the evil team somehow managed to be even lamer than Team Skull but also far less lovable.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Now that I think about it, its a bit strange that all the antagonists in the main series Pokemon games (and several spin-offs) form "Teams" in the first place. I hope we do get a game that doesn't rely on this as a storytelling crutch. We got rid of the Gym objective for Sun and Moon (although it's been replaced by something similar as a progression marker). I would like a game where there isn't some Team Whatever that gets in the way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sun and Moon did it best by having one team whose stakes were even lower because they were, alone, just lame bullies, and then one that was genuinely dangerous but only due to obsession with a single thing thanks to their clinically insane leader.

I genuinely don't miss the comparatively low stakes of the first two games. Especially the second, where the evil team somehow managed to be even lamer than Team Skull but also far less lovable.

Yea I think they hit a really good balance in that. You had the Skull guys who were near instantly established as low stakes just kinda at worst bullies who are rude, and then they slowly introduced a genuinely high stakes enemy that kinda hinged entirely on one person's insanity and once you sort that poo poo out it goes to 'oh well...yea that was a bad plan...let's try not to be dicks any more'.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Squats posted:

[x]

I missed the distribution so here's my submission:

My two favorite pokemon, Steelix and Gengar.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuzie posted:

Now that I think about it, its a bit strange that all the antagonists in the main series Pokemon games (and several spin-offs) form "Teams" in the first place. I hope we do get a game that doesn't rely on this as a storytelling crutch. We got rid of the Gym objective for Sun and Moon (although it's been replaced by something similar as a progression marker). I would like a game where there isn't some Team Whatever that gets in the way.

I'm pretty sure it goes back to the 90s localization not wanting them to be "The Rocket Gang." They're all Something-dan in Japan.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Not really. There's not really anything interesting about them in the end. Like you can profess all the virtues of simple storytelling you want but in the end Team Rocket's scheme in GSC basically amounts to failing to make a phone call. It's especially boring considering they used the far more interesting plot point of causing artificial evolution in the Lake of Rage, only for it to turn out to be an unintended side effect.

I feel like adaptations like Special and the anime have given Team Rocket loftier goals because the organization is just so pointless and dull otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of, why is the fat dude from Magma named Tabitha? Why does his co-admin talk like a pervy robot? Why can neither of them defeat a child with a giant cicada named Jon Cicada who also rides around on a catfish? This is some mature, dark storytelling.