Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I took the collar off of my cat for a bit and I noticed that there were a couple hairless patches around that area, with a scab around each of them. The one on the back of his neck is still bright red, and it hasn't gotten dark or scabbed over like scratches typically do. Did he just scratch himself too much, or is this some sort of infection/rash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
One of our new-ish arrivals is a munchkin cat - Perdy has stubby-rear end legs and we joke about it because her best buddy of our four is like a feline giraffe in the legs. (He's also a quadruple polydactyl but we may need to get the extra digits on his back paws taken care of - they're in an uncomfortable spot and he limps sometimes.)

Story about that - we brought Chino home in June after having our eye on him for months, after someone adopted him and brought him back because he wasn't playful enough. We took that as our sign and my wife went to the Pet Supermarket to grab him up. He hung out in the gap between our bed and wall for about four hours, then ventured out and took up a seat on our printer. We panicked when Perdy came in because she's super-skittish (she's only just now meowing for affection after 7 months), but her and Chino took one sniff of each other and bounded out into the living room together. They've been inseparable since - he hangs out with her and snuggles in the pet bed at night, grooms her, etc. :kimchi:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

D34THROW posted:

snuggles in the pet bed at night, grooms her, etc.

Has having a new friend helped with her skittishness?

They sound like good cats. I believe picture tax is due.

Pollyanna posted:

Did he just scratch himself too much, or is this some sort of infection/rash?

Is it a flea collar? I hear bad things about those. Maybe the vet should look at that.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Gorgar posted:

Has having a new friend helped with her skittishness?

They sound like good cats. I believe picture tax is due.

Not so much...the hamsters have. Once nighttime rolls around, the kids are in bed, and she comes out from under the couch, she goes and sits on the dining room table to watch the hamsters play and/or try to boop them.

Chino has the vaguely phallic face marking leading to the appellation Dickface.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Please send pics of hamster boops.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah cats sometimes aren't murder men. Our youngest cat met our very elderly guinea pig a few days before he died and when she woke up one day to him not in his cage she laid down next to it and started meowing really deep

I miss pig :(

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

My fifteen year old black cat, Fatfat, went to her final rest this morning. It seems she had a heart attack a couple days ago and was suffering from pulmonary edema. Due to her age and advanced cancer, I decided putting her to sleep was the best choice.

I raised her from a wee fluff to a tame and sweet old lady. Seems she couldn't stand to be separated from her buddy Boopcat anymore.

RIP lovely kitty.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Please send pics of hamster boops.

It happens too quickly; she runs as soon as I stand up like she knows she's not supposed to be going for their cage anyway. Since the bars are too closer, she just ends up staring at them.

Did you know dwarf hamsters make a loud buzz when they're pissed off? I didn't until Perdy started staring at them - they don't like it!

She used to boop the guinea pig though. He's besties with her and our fatty fat bunny Avery. :3:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hmm. Why would the cat poop on my bed and bathroom rug? The rug is 30 inches from the box for christ's sake.

I've tried:

- Vet appt (Got a UTI cleared up, going back today for a followup since it's still happening)
- New litter (went from World's Best to a pine/cedar type whose name escapes me)
- Nature's Miracle'ing the rug/bed/bedding

I've got 3 boxes for 3 cats, and don't really have the space for a 4th one, I guess I could move the box.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Any tips on getting kittens to eat more? I've got a pair of 10 week old kittens that are smaller than I feel they should be, and are not consistently putting on weight.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Deviant posted:

Hmm. Why would the cat poop on my bed and bathroom rug? The rug is 30 inches from the box for christ's sake.

I've tried:

- Vet appt (Got a UTI cleared up, going back today for a followup since it's still happening)
- New litter (went from World's Best to a pine/cedar type whose name escapes me)
- Nature's Miracle'ing the rug/bed/bedding

I've got 3 boxes for 3 cats, and don't really have the space for a 4th one, I guess I could move the box.

Cat could be constipated...

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Brigdh posted:

Any tips on getting kittens to eat more? I've got a pair of 10 week old kittens that are smaller than I feel they should be, and are not consistently putting on weight.

OP of the foster thread should have my rescue's recipe for supplemental formula. I can't link because I'm on my phone.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

poolside toaster posted:

Hairball? Long strands of human hair? Happens to ours

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Brigdh posted:

Have they been checked recently? Wormed? Flea treatment? Tooth or gum problems?

If you just got them in, can you find out what they were eating before? Otherwise you could try things like sardines, mackrel or a small portion of raw beef mince as treats and go through various brands till you find something they like.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Ratzap posted:

Have they been checked recently? Wormed? Flea treatment? Tooth or gum problems?

If you just got them in, can you find out what they were eating before? Otherwise you could try things like sardines, mackrel or a small portion of raw beef mince as treats and go through various brands till you find something they like.

I've had them since the 20th of October. Before that, they were fosters of a good friend of mine, so I've known them since they were two weeks old. I weigh em every day, and they've only gained 5 ounces in that time in inconsistent spurts. Currently 1 pound, 5 oz and 15oz

They were on Royal Canin baby cat instinctive canned wet food - the paste. They also had access to Acana Meadowland (of their regionals line of kibble). They are capable of eating kibble, its just that it doesn't seem to be their first choice, and they'll typically only eat a little before it seems like they get tired of trying to crunch it.

About a week ago, it seemed like they stopped liking the babycat and were leaving more of it uneaten, but also was not munching a lot of kibble either. I switched to the Royan Canin kitten instinctive canned wet food - the chunky food. They seem to like that more than the baby cat, but still only eating about 2 3oz cans a day, which seems a little light. They'll typically eat with gusto for a few minutes when I first put the food out, and then graze on it for the next few hours.

They eat, I just would like them to eat more. I would like them to be consistently gaining weight every day, particularly as they seem underweight for their age.

They were dewormed about 1.5 weeks before I got em. Friend is going to give me some pyrantel to try just in case. They haven't been to the vet yet as there are no other indications of issues. No flea treatment or signs of fleas. Teeth and gums seem normal when I take a look.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Brigdh posted:

They haven't been to the vet yet as there are no other indications of issues.
Being under 1 pound at 10 weeks of age is an issue. Take them to a vet. They’re also overdue for vaccines.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just a quick question.

My cat has bad teeth. She's never let me brush her teeth - no matter what I have tried. Towel burrito trick? Only her head visible? She'll whip her head around and clamp down her jaw tight to the point that I can't get a brush in there at all (Without applying so much force I get worried about hurting her). So instead I smear some enzymatic toothpaste on her lips and let her lick it off. Best I could ever figure out how to do.

The thing is that doesn't seem to have been enough, her teeth are worse than ever. Breath is bad, bad, bad and from what I've seen the teeth look rotten. At least some do.

I want to take her to the vet to get a dental cleaning, but I'm concerned because she's an older cat. She has trouble jumping onto the bed these days, and acts very lethargic compared to how she used to be. She's also very vocal and I suspect she's in pain from her teeth. So there are two points that concern me the most :

1) If they knock her out for the cleaning if she'll wake up afterwards. Probably a stupid concern but she's old and I worry.
2) If they remove teeth because they're too far gone, will she be able to eat properly afterwards?

In regards to #2, she has ALWAYS been a picky eater in one regard, she does not like wet food or soft food. I've tried every form of soft, chewy treats I can and she'll refuse them. Give her temptations or any other 'crunchy' treats and she'll wolf them down like she's starved for weeks but soft treats? Couple licks and she's done with them. Same with food. Give her a bowl of crunchy chicken soup brand food, she's fine. Give her a fresh can of chicken soup wet food, she'll lick it for a while then leave the meat sitting there for days.

Are my concerns stupid?

khy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

khy posted:

Are my concerns stupid?

No. General anesthesia is always risky, and of course there is a chance that her eating preferences will change with fewer teeth. I couldn't tell you what the right move is though -- risks and benefits are best discussed with your vet.

vvvvvv This is also true.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 4, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Dental infections are very serious. Your vet will talk to you about treatment, but a bad oral infection is probably riskier than anesthesia.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Hairball? Long strands of human hair? Happens to ours

No and no.

poolside toaster posted:

She poops on stuff, so it's going somewhere. Also she was empty when thew vet tried for a stool sample.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Crooked Booty posted:

Being under 1 pound at 10 weeks of age is an issue. Take them to a vet. They’re also overdue for vaccines.

Yeah, that's less than 600g. Let a vet assess them. On the food note though, quite often I've seen kittens go for their mothers adult food while she eats their kitten stuff. If they check out ok at the vets, maybe try small amounts of adult food. If that's their taste choice you can mix in kitten food to get the nutrition right.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
As my long haired cat has gotten older, she's become pretty bad at grooming herself. She smells so bad constantly because she gets pee (and sometimes poop) on her fur when using the litter box. I can bathe her and I do every few weeks, but bathing her after every time she uses the litter box is just not feasible. I wipe her down with wet wipes for cats but they aren't really powerful enough for that purpose and it doesn't address the issue of the matted fur. She allows me to brush her back and face but nowhere else at all. There are no places that do cat grooming anywhere near me and I absolutely cannot do it myself and I've tried so many times. The vet has been able to shave her butt a little bit once before, with her sedated and with three people holding her before she went crazy. I really don't know what to do, I know she's gotta be uncomfortable and I feel awful.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

khy posted:

My cat has bad teeth. She's never let

I don’t have advice but your post makes me worry about my recently adopted 7 year old cat. He’s already missing teeth not sure if removed or they just fell out. Should teeth cleaning be part of my routine with him? His breath is pretty bad sometimes but he doesn’t seem to struggle eating anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

KidDynamite posted:

I don’t have advice but your post makes me worry about my recently adopted 7 year old cat. He’s already missing teeth not sure if removed or they just fell out. Should teeth cleaning be part of my routine with him? His breath is pretty bad sometimes but he doesn’t seem to struggle eating anything.

If you can get in there and give his teeth a clean that's probably for the best, but at his age you may face a challenge if he is not disposed to letting you. I would say first call wherever you adopted him and ask if they have any details on what happened to the missing ones, and then take him to the vet along with whatever you learned and have a talk with the about it, they will be able to tell you how best to do it and what to use and stuff.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Yeah, that's less than 600g. Let a vet assess them. On the food note though, quite often I've seen kittens go for their mothers adult food while she eats their kitten stuff. If they check out ok at the vets, maybe try small amounts of adult food. If that's their taste choice you can mix in kitten food to get the nutrition right.

It does have me concerned. Vet appointment is scheduled.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I have a friend that has pretty bad asthma. She's coming to visit me in December and we plan on sharing a bed. I'll board my cat when she's here but I'm worried about possible build-up of pet dander and such bothering her. Previously I kept my bedroom closed off but I've since moved to a studio due to relocation because of my job where there's not a door to the bedroom and I know the cat sleeps on my bed sometimes when I'm not here as well as laying at the foot.

Does anyone have any advice for trying to keep her asthma from bothering her?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I had to take her to the evet.

It wasn't just teeth; renal failure and a heart condition I didn't know about.

She's not in pain anymore.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

khy posted:

:( Good kitty.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

khy posted:

Oh no, that has to be very hard. I'm sorry.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

khy posted:

I'm so so sorry to hear that

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

khy posted:

I'm sorry. You did the right thing. I know that's probably not a huge comfort right now, but later, remember it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's utterly, utterly insane. We all know how long cats and dogs live. We can't communicate danger to them. They can die so many different ways. Accidents, old age, it's virtually a guarantee that we'll outlive them unless we're already extremely old.

So why do we do it? Why do we invite them into our houses? Why do we give them so much attention, love, time, everything else? We KNOW there's going to be pain in it for us. I've had Jade since shortly after I moved into this house. She made this house feel like home. And now... it's empty. Every day I'd greet her when I got home. Pick her up, sit at the computer, refill her food if the dispenser's empty, she'd curl up next to me in her box and I'd reach over to scratch her tummy. When I come home she won't be waiting. When I reach over the box will be empty.

I live alone so I based so much of my life, my habits, and everything around caring for her, being with her, cuddling and chatting and everything and now I have no idea what to do. I go through the motions but everything feels incomplete and empty.

I KNEW when I picked her up that one day this would happen and now it's here and I don't know what I feel. Every day she was a joy and every day I loved seeing her, holding her, playing... and now I can't, no matter how desperately I feel like I need that in my life she's not here anymore and can't be here again.

And I wonder, do I open my heart up again and get another cat? But I can't replace her. It won't be the same. She'll never be here again and this sense of loss is excruciating. Can I go through that again?

I want to rant and rail and shout how unfair it is but it won't do anything. Doesn't stop me from wanting to but it's because I don't know what to do.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is there anyone else you can stay with?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Eh, you're doing the right thing, this is probably the best void to scream into. Be well friend. Sounds like you're doing a healthy amount of introspection wrt relationship needs you might have left unattended. The answer is a lesson I learned from Guinan: Of course you'll never love someone the same way again. You could very well still love in new and cherishable ways, if you try to.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

khy posted:

And I wonder, do I open my heart up again and get another cat? But I can't replace her. It won't be the same. She'll never be here again and this sense of loss is excruciating. Can I go through that again?

I want to rant and rail and shout how unfair it is but it won't do anything. Doesn't stop me from wanting to but it's because I don't know what to do.

The thing that I've found about grieving people, and grieving pets, is that losing a pet isn't complicated. There's always going to be a little guilt, but it's rarely the kind of unresolved confusion that humans do to each other. The loss hurts the same, but it heals better. So you're going to feel this, and feel it hard, but it'll heal like a clean cut.

However, right now, it just loving hurts. Sorry, buddy. It won't hurt like this forever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

khy posted:

It's utterly, utterly insane. We all know how long cats and dogs live. We can't communicate danger to them. They can die so many different ways. Accidents, old age, it's virtually a guarantee that we'll outlive them unless we're already extremely old.

So why do we do it? Why do we invite them into our houses? Why do we give them so much attention, love, time, everything else? We KNOW there's going to be pain in it for us. I've had Jade since shortly after I moved into this house. She made this house feel like home. And now... it's empty. Every day I'd greet her when I got home. Pick her up, sit at the computer, refill her food if the dispenser's empty, she'd curl up next to me in her box and I'd reach over to scratch her tummy. When I come home she won't be waiting. When I reach over the box will be empty.

I live alone so I based so much of my life, my habits, and everything around caring for her, being with her, cuddling and chatting and everything and now I have no idea what to do. I go through the motions but everything feels incomplete and empty.

I KNEW when I picked her up that one day this would happen and now it's here and I don't know what I feel. Every day she was a joy and every day I loved seeing her, holding her, playing... and now I can't, no matter how desperately I feel like I need that in my life she's not here anymore and can't be here again.

I'm so sorry. I know it hurts so bad right now. I know how unfair it is to lose them, regardless of the cause. But the reason we do it is because while we have them, they're such good friends and companions, and in time when the rawness of this loss fades, you'll look back with the utmost fondness on your memories. Melancholy, sometimes; I still feel sadness at times when I think about my Teeko and he died nearly five years ago now, but always fondness.

And no, another cat would never replace her, but getting another pet is never about replacing, it's about making a new relationship with a new friend. It's about opening your house and your heart up to another beastie who you can give years of joyous life to. I tend to assume that is what any departed pets of mine would will, that I give another pet the best treatment I can, just as I did with them. Whether you can go through this again is something only you can judge, though in my experience the answer for us animal lovers almost always ends up being 'yes'.

But regardless of all that, it's okay to be angry, and to rant and rail and shout about how unfair it is. Part of this thread's point is to support each other at bad times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It hurts, but it'll heal and you'll always have the good times you had together. And then one day you'll find another cat that needs care and love you'll be ready to provide it to them.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

khy posted:

In my case, the answer was that whatever I did, I was going to grieve hard for the cat who was gone. I wasn't going to forget him. But having cats is really important to me, and I started looking the day after, I think. Not for a replacement, but because having kitty friends loving rules. I didn't miss him any less, but having new cats definitely helped. I still think about him, but I love the poo poo out of the cats I've gotten since, too. They are/were all glorious magnificent cats.

Mister Adequate posted:

And no, another cat would never replace her, but getting another pet is never about replacing, it's about making a new relationship with a new friend. It's about opening your house and your heart up to another beastie who you can give years of joyous life to. I tend to assume that is what any departed pets of mine would will, that I give another pet the best treatment I can, just as I did with them. Whether you can go through this again is something only you can judge, though in my experience the answer for us animal lovers almost always ends up being 'yes'.

Well said.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm so sorry - that sounds really, really difficult to have to experience and to go through. I'm pretty worried about myself and my own cat, for similar reasons. I live alone with my cat (and now I've had to let go of my younger cat) and it's... well, I can't imagine losing my cat, and I can only think I'd be as upset as if I'd lost a very close family member... Which would be really seriously upset.

It's the risk of opening your heart to any sort of love, though. Vulnerability. Your sadness and depression is likely to be an inverse shadow of the love and affection you had for your cat,; the more you loved her and spent with her, the harder it inevitably is to lose her. Especially when it's unexpected. I won't say any of the usual platitudes, but it does get better.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice, by the way. I did bring Jackie in to the vet, and it was... well, sort of a good news/bad news deal, but given that she's a 12-year-old cat who is on the overweight side... Well, things could be worse.

She did have a pretty bad ear infection - I feel really stupid for not just immediately taking her in when I noticed something weird was up and waiting a few days instead, but oh well. She also had some *fleas*, which I find rather embarrassing but myriad measures are being taken. I could literally see them jumping ship off of her earlier today right after the visit to the vet. The only thing that was scary was the ear infection - it was REALLY not a good thing though they're sure she'll be fine now (she's coming back in 2 weeks to make sure) but it could have done *bad* things if left untreated. She is also starting to have some teeth problems, but that's not at all surprising since she's on a diet of almost entirely wet food and has been for a while, and is, well, a 12-year-old cat. There's only so much one can do.

But on the bright side she was 100% totally healthy, other than those things which are all pretty common to any cat, especially an older cat. She had lost over a pound since her last visit too (go Jackie!) so that's also good to hear. They were also just blown away by how docile and mellow and friendly Jackie was. She told me she'd actually *never* seen any cat put up with so much without scratching/yowling/biting/whatever. It's quite true, Jackie is just unbelievably mellow and docile, in part because she has *never* had contact with a single human who had bad intentions towards her, and in part because it's just her personality, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kaworu I'm real glad to hear Jackie is doing well! Don't feel too bad about giving it a few days before taking her in, sounds like you gave it an entirely sensible amount of time; not wasting the vet's time or stressing the cat unnecessarily, but getting her in before it gets too serious to easily treat. Good job!

Synthbuttrange posted:

It hurts, but it'll heal and you'll always have the good times you had together. And then one day you'll find another cat that needs care and love you'll be ready to provide it to them.

Much better than how I said it (But thanks for the kind words Gorgar :))