Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I have this Razer presentation open on another monitor and I glanced over to see PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS exclusively on the Razer Phone at a buttery smooth 15 120hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, the Razer phone comes with a THX certified 3.5mm to USB-C DAC adapter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's Chinooks in PUBG? And what's with these fancy compacts? I'm not that long on a hiatus.

--edit: Oooh, it's a clone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm that's surprisingly cheap. What's the catch?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Android Thread - The dongle is THX certified or something

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Androidpolice liked the Razer screen:

"The Razer Phone's Sharp IGZO LCD refreshes at 120Hz, and Razer has worked with Google to get Android to render properly at 120FPS to match the screen's capabilities. The results are genuinely impressive. I have never seen a smartphone that runs so buttery smooth. It's kind of incredible.

Notably, Razer will ship the phone set to 90Hz of refresh for power consumption reasons, but you can go into the display settings and change it to 120Hz if you want. And when it comes to third-party apps supporting the higher FPS cap, your mileage will vary. Razer is working with some major game developers to ensure their apps will run at the full 120FPS when possible, but many games out there will still be locked at 60FPS even when the panel is set to 120Hz refresh mode."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mkbhd thinks the razer is smoother than any other Android phone he's used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzC_kkbFTHQ

I like the looks of the phone, and I like the idea of smoothness, I just have a hard time believing the updates situation will be great. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm also pro smoothness.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The camera module bump on the back is a bit odd. The phone doesn't look like one of the thinnest to begin with, might as well have made it a little thicker to get the camera flush, and stick an even bigger battery into it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just realised that this is the first smartphone I've ever owned with a flat back instead of a rounded one. It feels weird to not be able to spin it around on my desk or rock it back and forth.

Anyone found any decent glass screen protectors for the regular Pixel 2 yet? All I can find are no-name ones with not-so-great reviews. For now I think I'll hit up the Rogers and Telus stores tomorrow to see what they got.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

I just realised that this is the first smartphone I've ever owned with a flat back instead of a rounded one. It feels weird to not be able to spin it around on my desk or rock it back and forth.

Anyone found any decent glass screen protectors for the regular Pixel 2 yet? All I can find are no-name ones with not-so-great reviews. For now I think I'll hit up the Rogers and Telus stores tomorrow to see what they got.

The Moto X was the original fidget spinner.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Manifest Dynasty posted:

The Moto X was the original fidget spinner.

Nah, that honor goes to the Xperia Mini Pro, and then the Xperia Ion after that.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Vsync isn't the determining factor. It's what framerate the video app is outputting. Currently, they are all pretty much locked on 30 or 60fps output.

Netflix is outputting a framerate to the video subsystem. Netflix is assuming a display of a max of 60hz. Netflix knows that it has to transform the 24fps stream to 60fps for proper display. The video undergoes 3:2 transformation before going to the video driver. That's just the way it currently works.

Netflix isn't passing a 24fps stream directly off to the video subsystem. The native output of the application itself is locked at 60hz.

It's moot in a lot of cases anyways as a shitton of transport streams out there are 30fps. FX Now, for example, only deals in 30fps video streams which means any scripted show will always be a juddery mess.

lmao that loving sucks

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

is anyone familiar with an app that'll let me add my work email but will also prevent the device wipe permission from actually wiping my phone
Try the app Nine.

It's basically a self contained sand box for corporate email.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

mkbhd thinks the razer is smoother than any other Android phone he's used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzC_kkbFTHQ

I like the looks of the phone, and I like the idea of smoothness, I just have a hard time believing the updates situation will be great. Hope I'm wrong on that.

I'm impressed. I didn't watch the event but I assumed (naturally, it's Razor) that it would suck. Really surprised to see that it's 120hz and runs even smoother than a pixel (according to mkbhd). I don't wanna spend a ton of money on a razor product but I'm really happy to see this, I've been hoping for high refresh rate displays for a while now.

And I am pro-smoothness.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Did they clarify whether the system itself also runs on adaptive sync, or if that just for OpenGL games? If whatever's rendering can't get frames done within 16ms to match the currently used 60hz screens on all other Android phones, it'll appear like jank because it looks like skips a refresh/frame, since the renderer waits for the next vsync before continuing. When there's adaptive sync, it doesn't matter, because the LCD refreshes at the cadence of the render process, at least up to the 120hz.

--edit:
So about that SpO2 sensor on the Samsung Galaxys, how accurate is it supposed to be? I keep finding claims that it's up to par to medical stuff, I've yet to see mine display 100% saturation. Which it should be doing for a healthy person.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 2, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Taffer posted:

I'm impressed. I didn't watch the event but I assumed (naturally, it's Razor) that it would suck. Really surprised to see that it's 120hz and runs even smoother than a pixel (according to mkbhd). I don't wanna spend a ton of money on a razor product but I'm really happy to see this, I've been hoping for high refresh rate displays for a while now.

And I am pro-smoothness.

The scrolling in 120hz mode at 3m16s looks pretty out of sync with the touch events.
video link

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it better be smoother than a pixel, 120hz refresh makes a ton of difference.

a few big unanswered questions are mainly coming from a software and support perspective. yeah it's a great phone but so was my galaxy nexus before it poo poo itself perpetually 2 months in. razer isn't a new kid on the block but i have no idea how they're going to handle maintaining the performance in the months/years after purchase

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a thinner case for the Pixel 2 than the Spigen?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is about as slim as it gets.

https://mnmlcase.com/products/google-pixel-2-xl

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a thinner case for the Pixel 2 than the Spigen?

Without having an actual recommendation, the back of the Spigen has a space for a metal plate, which is the first case of this type that I've seen include that. So if anything, the total thickness of the phone + case could be a bit less. The Spigen's a great case, though I do prefer the ones that have a "sandy" texture.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Razor phone not even launching with the current os.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

So normal Android release?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Question, I noticed I can actually use Twilight to make the brightness much much lower on my 2XL than the brightness slider will let me, which is great at night, but the top bar and nav buttons are still full brightness and not red-tinted like the rest of the screen. Do I need a rooted version or is there some other workaround, or are they always gonna be white and bright?

RZA Encryption posted:

The scrolling in 120hz mode at 3m16s looks pretty out of sync with the touch events.
video link

Yeah latency and framerate aren't the same thing. Reviewers should do a motion-to-photon latency spec like VR headsets do, simulate a finger-drag and see how long it takes in milliseconds for the pixels to change over.

To be fair, the guy is flicking his finger across the whole screen as fast as he can, I don't think we really do anything that demanding in real life.

Don Lapre posted:

I think a lot of non-Google phones don't?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Are all glass screen protectors mostly the same? I went looking to get one for my new Pixel XL and none really seem to stand out, though some have complaints about sharp edges or having weird black/white painted bits that overlap with the screen if you don't align it perfectly.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:
So about that SpO2 sensor on the Samsung Galaxys, how accurate is it supposed to be? I keep finding claims that it's up to par to medical stuff, I've yet to see mine display 100% saturation. Which it should be doing for a healthy person.

I can't speak for Samsung's, but I have one of those cheap 15 dollar finger pulse oximeters that I carry around at work and it's always within 1-2% of our calibrated medical equipment. Assuming the Samsung is near cheap Chinese gadget quality, I would not worry about it not displaying 100%. Also every person is different and many factors can effect SpO2 readings (cold hands, slight deficiencies in vascularity, crud on your fingers). 95% and up is considered normal. Every one I've ever used usually registers between 96-99% for me but I also used to be a heavy smoker.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Meldonox posted:

Are all glass screen protectors mostly the same? I went looking to get one for my new Pixel XL and none really seem to stand out, though some have complaints about sharp edges or having weird black/white painted bits that overlap with the screen if you don't align it perfectly.

Yes. Buy one that says its 2.5d (rounded edges) and thats all you have to worry about.

well, you should check to make sure its not overcut. if your phone screen curves down at the edges then you may need one thats cut smaller.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Spec wise the Razer seems to mark all the checkboxes I like. Hell it even has expandable storage which makes the 64G limit not a problem.

If it works on Sprint... It might be a battle between the Pixel 2XL and the Razer but unlike the Essential phone, I may wait it out a little..

Still, it looks pretty impressive for a first phone, but being the Robin wasn't a terrible phone, it's not really the first phone from the people who Razer purchased to make the phone.

Edit: Well crap.. Upon looking more it looks like GSM carriers only. Crap.

Has what looks to be all the LTE bands, but until VOLTE becomes a thing.. drat. :(

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 2, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That Razer phone actually sounds kind of neat.

Android Police posted:

Razer has worked with Google to get Android to render properly at 120FPS to match the screen's capabilities. The results are genuinely impressive. I have never seen a smartphone that runs so buttery smooth. It's kind of incredible.
The Razer Phone has the most powerful speakers I've ever heard on a smartphone. 

The software looks inoffensive, there's a 4000mAh battery, and if they can keep up with updates it could end up being a pretty good phone. I'm curious as to whether they installed decent camera sensors or hot garbage like Essential did with their phone.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Edit: Well crap.. Upon looking more it looks like GSM carriers only. Crap.

Hey, do yourself a favor and dump Sprint. Hell, I've been absolutely thrilled with my unlimited Cricket for a while now.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 2, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I thought the Essential camera was pretty good with the recent updates?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I thought the Essential camera was pretty good with the recent updates?

From what I've read it uses relatively small sensors compared to other flagships which ultimately limit it's ability. It has gotten better with updates but it will probably never reach the same level as a Samsung S8/Note 8, Pixel, iPhone or HTC and Huawei's flagships.

E: Essential uses 1/3 sensors with 1.12um pixels which does put it at a disadvantage with a lot of other flagships that are at 1.4-1.55 pixel size. Huawei uses an even older sensors in their high end phones but they're still bigger and their dual cam voodoo works pretty well.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 2, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Everyone seems to be saying its getting better, and at the Price it is now, its actually a good deal.

If both companies can keep their update tempo up and bring fixes and new stuff longer than 6 months, it might actually get them a nice niche in the market. Maybe the Oreo transition and requirements Google put in will make it easier for OEMs to support devices long term? And hopefully because it is one or two devices and not dozens ala Moto or Samsung, longer term support can also be an easier thing to do for the smaller guys.

I still have Sprint SERO for $50 and no throttled 4G. Would Cricket be able to compete? (or any of the other carriers without messing with my data?)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

I still have Sprint SERO for $50 and no throttled 4G. Would Cricket be able to compete? (or any of the other carriers without messing with my data?)

I don't know what SERO is but that sounds like a decent deal if it works for you. Cricket is throttled at 8mbps (although speed test registers 9mbps for me) and from what I can tell 1080p streams okay so that's all I've really needed.

I do get a speed-warning if I go over 22GB a month, but I think I've only done that once.

The MVNO thread could probably shed some more light on various GSM options if you ever considering going down that road. If you're buying a device outright, it ain't bad. I went from AT&T to Cricket years ago when I started buying unlocked phones and I've been generally happy.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 2, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you have an essential code you should sell it and buy a good phone. The codes are worth $50-$100

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

If you have an essential code you should sell it and buy a good phone. The codes are worth $50-$100

If I could get a code I might buy a white one.

Also as I think about it, my work is buying me a work phone eventually, and they are att so, might work out lol.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Well the last couple weeks with the P2 have made me jump ship from iOS until I undoubtedly get curious about the X and buy one eventually. I just sold my 8+ but I have to have a big phone as my main so a 2XL should be here tomorrow morning and I'm just hoping I do well in the panel lottery right off the bat. This phone is an absolute joy to use and the camera has already captured so many great pictures of my 2 year old and some candid pictures at my own and my friend's weddings.

I'm going to be listing my Verizon Black 64gb (ended up buying a Verizon model so it was eligible for the company insurance plan) on swappa soon but if anyone is interested from SA I'd do $590 shipped, just let me know.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i forgot that razer didn't do much special (it seems? probably missed it in the reviews i watched) regarding the camera. it's probably Extremely Okay which is obviously a shame compared to champs like the pixel

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

logikv9 posted:

i forgot that razer didn't do much special (it seems? probably missed it in the reviews i watched) regarding the camera. it's probably Extremely Okay which is obviously a shame compared to champs like the pixel

I haven't found any information on what sensors or optics they're using, and then there's the software equation. They're 12MP each and the main shooter has an f1.7 lens but that doesn't really tell us poo poo (IE: the Moto g5 with it's bigger aperature and newer imager doesn't take any better pictures than the G4+ and it's OmniVision sensor; they're sometimes worse). We'll probably have to wait until more in-depth reviews come out.

Edit: On the software front, manual controls can do wonders for smartphone cameras. A lot of the photos in this album were taken with manual control or Huawei's neat multi-exposure night mode.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 2, 2017

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can someone point me to a way to rotate through wallpapers automatically on a pixel 2? I wish I could point it to a folder or selection of favorite images and have them change at a regular interval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

MMD3 posted:

Can someone point me to a way to rotate through wallpapers automatically on a pixel 2? I wish I could point it to a folder or selection of favorite images and have them change at a regular interval

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sharpregion.tapet