Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do people long for corn though? Koreans may not eat seaweed soup at literally every meal, but they get super nostalgic and homesick for it when you mention it.

Corn on the cob, popcorn, cornbread, corn tortillas, etc. Corn comes in a huge variety of forms and nearly every American cultural tradition now has some form of corn worked into it, even if not all amerivans strictly think of the same preperation of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Sounds more like the role of seaweed itself in Korean cuisine as opposed to the dish seaweed soup itself.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly cornbread is probably the correct answer for a certain subset of Americans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly cornbread is probably the correct answer for a certain subset of Americans.

Sorry if I wasnt clear, I meant its in all foods and each culture has specific individual dishes like cornbread where its homesick kind of food.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The answer is not to look for a American food but for a condiment.

Ranch Dressing. It crosses all cultural barriers and preferences. Even people on a diet will embrace the flavor of fat free Ranch on any manner of vegetables or foodstuffs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Real answer is loving god damned bread, like if a Westerner doesn't like fresh bread it's like "whaaaaat"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think you guys get what he's talking about. You need a food that everyone would autistically insist on having at every single meal, every day.

at first i was thinking white nuclear family children having a glass of milk with every meal, but that's probably just dinner and doesnt apply to a large enough group, or the feeling of a meal being incomplete without it.

it seems like it would have to be some european country with flatbread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
cheese lmao

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Toast / good bread loaf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

cheese lmao

Its sure as hell the stereotype, but corn is so much more subtly integrated into everything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LentThem posted:

at first i was thinking white nuclear family children having a glass of milk with every meal, but that's probably just dinner and doesnt apply to a large enough group, or the feeling of a meal being incomplete without it.

it seems like it would have to be some european country with flatbread

Asking for a glass of milk gets me weird looks in restaurants.

But I still do it because the kitchen has to have milk to cook with and it’s delicious.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Barudak posted:

Its sure as hell the stereotype, but corn is so much more subtly integrated into everything.

Rice isnt subtly integrated into anything though they just put it in bowls and eat it.

Maybe the west has been too rich for too long to have some kind of life or death staple food in our culture anymore, and certainly too culturally heterogenous.

Remember at least for Chinese people its very important for them to be the same as everyone else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bread totally was that food for Europeans at one time; it’s just that they diversified.

Sir William Crookes, The Wheat Problem, 1905 posted:

The fixation of nitrogen is vital to the progress of civilised humanity. Other discoveries minister to our increased intellectual comfort, luxury, or convenience; they serve to make life easier, to hasten the acquisition of wealth, or to save time, health, or worry. The fixation of nitrogen is a question of the not far‐distant future. Unless we can class it among certainties to come, the great Caucasian race will cease to be the foremost in the world, and will be squeezed out of existence by races to whom wheaten bread is not the staff of life.

Europeans ate a shitload of bread, especially before the Columbian exchange.

“A shitload” being like 1500 g of bread per person per day. Today, that figure is less than 150 g.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I know very little about the nutritional side of rice but I cook it sometimes. I've been using Jasmine rice. Is this a scrub tier rice? If so what I should instead? I am not picky.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Confirm/deny most mainland families actually eat lovely noodles and steamed buns instead of rice 3 meals a day.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fojar38 posted:

also the chinese computer uses ddr3, the incorrect type of ram

:vince:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

5 way better than 3

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chomp8645 posted:

I know very little about the nutritional side of rice but I cook it sometimes. I've been using Jasmine rice. Is this a scrub tier rice? If so what I should instead? I am not picky.

it kind of depends what you want in your rice. white jasmine rice is basically the white rice people are talking about, but there is also brown jasmine rice that is a little tougher and proportionally better for you. there's a big range of that in rice and rice-like products, all the way to wild rice varieties which are actually grasses. they're a lot tougher and generally more difficult to cook and eat but are insanely good for you (though high in carb percentage if you're counting your macronutrients).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm American and I think ranch is gross as hell. Creamy snot. I don't really like corn, either, although since it's in literally every product...

big time bisexual posted:

You have to watch out for fake black rice though

Real on the left, fake on the right. There's a reddish hue after steeping in water for a while. This shows the natural pigments in the rice are slowly being extracted. The fake stuff is dyed with Mao knows what and leaves the water ink black immediately.

Alternatively, you can have "rice" that never sheds any pigment like what happened to this guy in Beijing.

eeeeeewwwww

e: Haha! Who bought ohhhboy's avatar?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ahem, I think ohhhhboy has more important deficiencies than suit identity

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The food comparisons doesn't really work since all of the suggestions are not single ingredient dishes. Potatoes are served a million ways with a variety of ingredients, and things like bread start out as a variety of ingredients that are paired with even more.

Rice is a single ingredient, that a huge number of people in China eat "as is", and who will refuse to admit they have eaten at all if it isn't present for every meal.

I don't think there is really anything in the last 100 years that is comparable if you remove poverty as a factor.*

*Rich people in China will still mow down straight white rice three times a day, while you're not likely to find a rich westerner who will do the same with boiled potatoes or corn.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m pretty sure Mike Pence eats corn at every meal, to be fair.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m pretty sure Mike Pence eats corn at every meal, to be fair.

Did you mean to type, "they feed Mike Pence cornmeal at every fair"?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I couldnt find the article again but, I read a funny news report about how north korea's (the best korea lol) nuclear tests would send fallout and pollute china.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait a minute, how's it pollute China if the fallout's blowing the direction of the usual yellow dust?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Blistex posted:

The food comparisons doesn't really work since all of the suggestions are not single ingredient dishes. Potatoes are served a million ways with a variety of ingredients, and things like bread start out as a variety of ingredients that are paired with even more.

Rice is a single ingredient, that a huge number of people in China eat "as is", and who will refuse to admit they have eaten at all if it isn't present for every meal.

I don't think there is really anything in the last 100 years that is comparable if you remove poverty as a factor.*

*Rich people in China will still mow down straight white rice three times a day, while you're not likely to find a rich westerner who will do the same with boiled potatoes or corn.
I think people were closer with the bread or possibly cheese, because anyone, rich or poor, eats either of those all the drat time

Whether it's just plain white bread/cheese or fancy sourdough/smelly cheese

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ups_rail posted:

I couldnt find the article again but, I read a funny news report about how north korea's (the best korea lol) nuclear tests would send fallout and pollute china.

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait a minute, how's it pollute China if the fallout's blowing the direction of the usual yellow dust?

According to oceanic current charts, the dominating currents go from South Korea toward either Japan or around the Yellow Sea to SE Asia, which means North Korean fallout winds will have their pick based on the weather at the time. But given fallout pattern estimates, some of it will definitely go North and find China

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Me inviting Mainland friends for thick lentil vegetable soup--

Me: "Here's the soup. You can add salt to your preference."
Them: "Where's the rice?"
Me: "No rice. This soup will make you full. It has a lot of stuff in it. Try it."
Them: "How can I get full if there is no rice?"
Me: "Just eat the soup. You will find out."
Them: "Is it healthy?"
Me: "Yes, it has a lot of protein and minerals and good stuff. Just eat the soup."
Them: "But how to be healthy when you don't eat rice?"
Me: "EAT THE SOUP!"

Then they eat and later complain they are too full. For this rice fiasco and the assumptions that come with it, I starting making sure to buy one of those white flour unhealthy triangle breads that turn into glue in your stomach, and then they would see "Oh, soup and bread" and not whine about rice.
I have had so many people be completely flabbergasted that I might eat one thing for a meal, or that foreigners can eat one dish and not like four fried little bowls of things with a mountain of rice. I had a heck of a time trying to explain burritos to people, since it was just one item, but had everything for a meal inside of it.

EDIT: When Chaoshan Girl got to India and she went to eat at a popular Western foods restaurant (partially owned by a bunch of Italians, so it was authentic), she saw the low prices and thought foods would be like in China, so she ordered three dishes to try. She couldn't even finish one of the dishes (some pasta) and had them put the rest in a bag so she could feed it to a cow, since I told her not to throw it away.

I ate with her there later and introduced her to burritos, lasagna, veggie burgers, frankies, Indian chowmein, and other things she didn't know existed. This caused her such a shock in her quality of life and feeling that she realized how bad the food she had been eating her whole life is. She returned to China and doesn't eat Chinese food and now cooks all her meals at home. She ordered olive oil and ghee, and drinks at least 500ml of imported milk per day. She said she now realizes how weak and useless she felt before she had this food epiphany, and Chinese food is so bad for health.

Mistle posted:

No idea where the thread's favorite Haier/Bajaj is, but Stay Safe Plunger Man
India, at the moment. Next place will probably be Thailand. My mom is telling me Vietnam. I have no clue. I'll know in a couple weeks when I buy tickets.

Bajaj fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 2, 2017

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Similarly, I found out how crappy my diet was in Russia after dating a vegetarian for a bit. Eat your salads!

P.S, CS girl is the one Bajaj, don't gently caress it up!

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Someone please try to teach a critical thinking class in china then post results.

And I mean results other than dragged off the party members.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it might work if you start at a younger age

on the other hand children are the extension of the thought police

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Xerxes17 posted:

P.S, CS girl is the one Bajaj, don't gently caress it up!

don't listen to this idiot. gently caress it up royally and document every step of the way.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ladron posted:

don't listen to this idiot. gently caress it up royally and document every step of the way.

whichever, :justpost:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sounds more like the role of seaweed itself in Korean cuisine as opposed to the dish seaweed soup itself.

This convo is really interesting because it's revealing that the posters who haven't lived in Korea cannot comprehend what we mean at all, and none of the suggestions are even close to the mark, proving your point. I certainly wouldn't understand it if I hadn't seen it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

lol if you don't identify based on your suit identity

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if this is a finnish thing or something common elsewhere but here you can buy rice mixed with barely, it's pretty great. Can also get rice with oats but I like the barley mix a lot more.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

peanut posted:

I guess you might say he has a lot of layers to him.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I just want Bajaj to be happy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

This convo is really interesting because it's revealing that the posters who haven't lived in Korea cannot comprehend what we mean at all, and none of the suggestions are even close to the mark, proving your point. I certainly wouldn't understand it if I hadn't seen it.

The school I teach at now always has a noodle/ramen option, two or three entrees, some kind of vegetable stir fry, soup, and a salad bar in addition to vegetarian and halal alternatives. I was talking to the Korean student in one of my classes about how much I enjoyed the school lunch here compared to Korea because I just couldn't eat any more seaweed soup and it was like her brain flipped into Dokdo is Korea! mode at the mention of it.

"OMG MR. ATLAS, SEAWEED SOUP IS SO GOOOOOOOD. I WOULD MUCH PREFER THAT TO WHAT WE HAVE NOW!"

I even talked about how much I enjoyed Korean food, generally speaking, specifically wings and BBQ, but she wouldn't have it. "ALL I WANT IS SEAWEED SOUP."

I just smiled, nodded, and died a little inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is this like how Americans have chicken soup when they're sick?

According to my mom the Chinese equivalent is rice porridge and pickled vegetables.

• Locked thread