Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Raptors looked Real Bad tonight. "Road-weary" was how Jack described them on the broadcast, but I'd say that's being generous.

I wish I could find a clip of Jamal Murray's dive into the third row. That was one of the best loose ball dives I've seen for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Boomers 2020 Olympic Champions imo

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

to be fair haralabob is an idiot who doesn't know dick about basketball so he's not wrong. but yeah rose is not good so there's that also

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I mean the average fan is going to see 9/13...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Rose is probably not in the top-5 problems with the Cavs right now, but it looks like while offensively he is playing ok individually he is screwing up their offense. Wade is screwing up lineups AND not playing well.

Talent is there so at some point it might click, but yeah. They are real bad.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I get very upset during cavs games, but in all actuality i'm not mad. Not at all. Very Calm. We've gone through five different starting lineups. Roles are changing. Guys ARE looking for each other but not quite in sync yet. guys aren't talking, there are moments where all five dudes try and we actually get stops. Here and there. I'm not going to make any doomsday no final appearance proclamations until like feb or march after IT comes back and is 100% which is going to happen OK OKAY????

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Lockback posted:

Rose is probably not in the top-5 problems with the Cavs right now, but it looks like while offensively he is playing ok individually he is screwing up their offense. Wade is screwing up lineups AND not playing well.

Talent is there so at some point it might click, but yeah. They are real bad.

this is where I disagree. their guards look like utter poo poo and that looks to have caught up with them. even with LeBron, can you win with a bad JR smith/wade/rose back court in 2017? no defense and really, really inefficient offense. their only hope is IT playing 40 mins a game and relegating wade/rose to garbage minutes but I suspect that won't happen

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
rose is getting to the rim reliably and showing nice touch and good body control/timing. if his body holds up i see him contributing assuming he meshes with our "offense"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Brogeoisie posted:

this is where I disagree. their guards look like utter poo poo and that looks to have caught up with them. even with LeBron, can you win with a bad JR smith/wade/rose back court in 2017? no defense and really, really inefficient offense. their only hope is IT playing 40 mins a game and relegating wade/rose to garbage minutes but I suspect that won't happen

IT won't help their defense.

You can win with JR/Korver and a bad defensive PG, Cavs did it for years. Rose hasn't been inefficient, but he does grind their offense to a halt and completely neuters their off-ball weapons in Love and Korver. Last year, Cavs needed a guy like Rose because the offense did nothing with Lebron off the floor, but right now nothing is clicking. But you replace Rose with *generic middling efficiency backup PG* they wouldn't be any better.

Wade has been total poop with basically no redeeming qualities in his play.

Defensively TT hooked up with a Kardashian and Crowder might be a Boston sleeper agent, not sure how to fix either of those things.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
yeah. pretty turnaround 12-15 footers aside Wade looks busteder

Brolander fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 2, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Algund Eenboom posted:

i just learned that stephon marbury's life was transformed into a chinese musical, which he stars in https://newrepublic.com/article/119625/stephon-marbury-life-made-chinese-musical

There’s also a film adaptation with Baron Davis in a villain role

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/imanshumpert/status/925916039812141061

Basketball is just like war, especially for bench players

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Has KAT ever had a game against the Pelicans where he didn't get just completely bodied? It's actually comical at this point.

Weird feeling to see that our bench basically won us the game, I tell you hwhat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/imanshumpert/status/925916039812141061

Basketball is just like war, especially for bench players

He's talking about finding out Gabrielle Union eats rear end

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Other than with supreme Gobert/Eaton-esque size, I'm not sure the lob to Embiid play is coverable.

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/925938675447402496

I love him but he looks so stiff when he lands. Can any of the biomechanics crew c/d?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Has KAT ever had a game against the Pelicans where he didn't get just completely bodied? It's actually comical at this point.

Bench has won a couple games this year, though lost at least 1 too. I think KAT still has what knocked Butler out for those two games though, he's just trying to play through it/infect potential playoff rivals.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mandrel posted:

to be fair haralabob is an idiot who doesn't know dick about basketball so he's not wrong. but yeah rose is not good so there's that also

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idk man embiid seems to be falling much safer . He lands on his big rear end and hips now . He was outrageously good last night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We all have hypochondria about Embiid because he is our collective son.

Hmmm this reddit post argues that the reason we're seeing an explosion in young talent in the NBA is due to the shift away from HS football. Now if we can only ban football and split all our best athletes into basketball and soccer...

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 2, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Still waiting for that Lockback Rose comic

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Russ has been awarded an assist in the bucks game that he previously wasn't credited for and now has a triple double in that game. Lmao he is going to average a triple double again

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lebron basically needs to go the Philidelphia at this point because Joel/simmons/Lebron/2 shooters would be the greatest lineup in the history of the world and Id love it

zoux posted:

Hmmm this reddit post argues that the reason we're seeing an explosion in young talent in the NBA is due to the shift away from HS football. Now if we can only ban football and split all our best athletes into basketball and soccer...

this is interesting, especially since the NFL product is also at its lowest point in a long while

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
How much would Philly have to gut their roster to sign LeBron after this year? Assuming Simmons and Embiid stay healthy they really look like they're a LeBron short of being title contenders.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Noctone posted:

How much would Philly have to gut their roster to sign LeBron after this year? Assuming Simmons and Embiid stay healthy they really look like they're a LeBron short of being title contenders.

None, they are at max cap room already next offseason if they dont bring back Amir or Reddick.

e: or covington

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 2, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Noctone posted:

Assuming LeBron take a 1 or 2 year deal, not much. Embiid is and Covington are the only major contracts

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Assuming LeBron take a 1 or 2 year deal, not much. Embiid is and Covington are the only major contracts

am I missing something? Convington is not on the books next year, at least not yet.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

zoux posted:

I really don’t like this hypothesis. It can be much better explained by international players and modern medicine/training. Also it’s usually been guys washing out of basketball and dominating football, not vice versa. Also also, I think it’s very early in the lifecycle of people realizing the NFL is bad to already see other sports like the NBA benefiting.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

Also also, I think it’s very early in the lifecycle of people realizing the NFL is bad to already see other sports like the NBA benefiting.

I'm not really so sure about that. NFL Careers are extremely short, I dont think it would take as long for the effects to take place as you might thing.

That guy doesn't mention what the obvious #1 factor to having so many good young players is, however. Which is of course straight dumb luck.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

am I missing something? Convington is not on the books next year, at least not yet.

Purportedly he and the Sixers have a deal ready to be signed on the first day of extension eligibility.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm not really so sure about that. NFL Careers are extremely short, I dont think it would take as long for the effects to take place as you might thing.

That guy doesn't mention what the obvious #1 factor to having so many good young players is, however. Which is of course straight dumb luck.

Yeah but the downstream effects would need to have happened years ago. 10 years ago the NFL wasn’t viewed as this monolithic evil. It’s been a relatively recent thing. I think it will be beneficial to basketball (mainly with guards) but it will still be another few years before the first crop of “football is too dangerous and the careers are shorter” guys. Remember, careers only got drastically shorter in the NFL recently when rookies became exceptionally cheaper than veterans.

I obviously can’t argue too hard about this because there is no way to prove it and I fully admit I’m maybe underestimating the amount of guys who could seamlessly cross between both sports at age 15-16

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Purportedly he and the Sixers have a deal ready to be signed on the first day of extension eligibility.

Yeah, by waiting until November 15th to give him a new deal, they can also renegotiate his salary for this season. When you are doing that you can only increase the current year salary so as that it will fit under the cap, but the Sixers still have a solid amount of cap space and it will let them lower his cap hit in the future years of the deal by giving him more money now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Other than with supreme Gobert/Eaton-esque size, I'm not sure the lob to Embiid play is coverable.

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/925938675447402496

I hope they can play the Pels with Simmons, Embiid, AD, and Boogie all healthy and ready to go. That will be a show!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

Pels bench is real bad OP.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Pels bench is real bad OP.

I don't think you really understand the abyss that the Wolves bench has been the last....like decade or so

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sixers are at $40 million in cap room for 2018 right now.

Assuming they do a renegotiate and extend with Covington that pays him $15 mil this year and then something like 4/55 going forward (making it essentially a 5/70 contract), they'd be looking at roughly 26.5 million in space for 2018 without having to cut anyone (besides letting go Amir and Redick).

Not enough for max space for anyone with 7+ years of service (so no Lebron or Avery Bradley, unless they want to take pay cuts to be part of the Process™)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think you really understand the abyss that the Wolves bench has been the last....like decade or so

It's only been slightly worse than the Pels bench for about as long. During CP3's prime, the primo bench player was Jannero Pargo. During the most recent core it was Ryan Anderson. I don't mention those two names necessarily because they were standouts, but because they were literally the only guys from the bench who could sometimes do positive things.

Yeah, the Wolves never had a Ryno coming off the bench, but it's been the same other than that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

aBagorn posted:

Assuming they do a renegotiate and extend with Covington that pays him $15 mil this year and then something like 4/55 going forward (making it essentially a 5/70 contract), they'd be looking at roughly 26.5 million in space for 2018 without having to cut anyone (besides letting go Amir and Redick).

Not enough for max space for anyone with 7+ years of service (so no Lebron or Avery Bradley, unless they want to take pay cuts to be part of the Process™)

Even if this contract with Covington does happen, they can clear up max space by simply dumping Jarryd Bayless, which should not be too hard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

I can't be certain but I suspect that Reddick is more valuable than Bradley if that's what it comes down to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Ben Simmons is so good. He's like a supercharged young Clippers Lamar Odom.

• Locked thread