Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Yer Burnt posted:

I would gladly watch the actor who plays Elongated Man in a father/son movie with Jim Carrey

Watching with my sister, we had to stop and look up whether he was Carrey's IRL nephew or something, so you're not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bruceski posted:

Danny Trejo is a treasure. For someone who has made a career out of "Scary Mexican Guy" he's got some great delivery and a straight man's sense of humor.
Nothing against Trejo, but that whole B plot was straight out of a 1970s sitcom. Just painful to watch.

Ville Valo posted:

This was the best episode since the first season. Dibny's actor/character is perfect, and if he doesn't stick around he better get his own show or a season as a Legend.
I'd bet on him being on Legends either by the end of this season or the beginning of the next.

Nameless Pete posted:

Watching with my sister, we had to stop and look up whether he was Carrey's IRL nephew or something, so you're not alone.
I had the same thought.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dibny is a potentially really useful character who could use his powers to really make a difference in Central City.

Of course he's going to end up on Legends.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

Danny Trejo is a treasure. For someone who has made a career out of "Scary Mexican Guy" he's got some great delivery and a straight man's sense of humor.

E: "straight man" in the comedy sense, not as some sort of slur.

How's that a slur?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

As opposed to a gay man's sense of humor, I guess.

Was it just me or was that another really fun episode? I'm a little miffed that Wally got written off but otherwise they've had a great few weeks with relatively little drama and it feels like they're trying to avoid some of the crap from last season.

Please don't let it be a fluke.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

As opposed to a gay man's sense of humor, I guess.

Was it just me or was that another really fun episode? I'm a little miffed that Wally got written off but otherwise they've had a great few weeks with relatively little drama and it feels like they're trying to avoid some of the crap from last season.

Please don't let it be a fluke.

I was just curious, so to speak. :gay: Don't kill me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think I'm probably behind but I laughed so hard at the Speedforce being foiled by marbles. Hell, that whole episode was great. Barry somehow managing to cuff himself was amazing. I'm liking the humour in this season so far. Legends has gone full on comedy, which is great, and Arrow seems to be going serious this season, and I think it's nice when they all have different tones.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yer Burnt posted:

I would gladly watch the actor who plays Elongated Man in a father/son movie with Jim Carrey

A father/father/son movie with Carrey and Will Forte

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

*Cisco packing while preparing for the hunt, pulls out a MACHETE*

Wells: "Too much."

A hearty lol

Edit: Okay done. One of the best episodes. Easy.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 1, 2017

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not even finished with the episode yet but how soon until Elongated Man spin-off?

I wasn't convinced at first. He was a little but too much of a scumbag (that scene with the woman in his office, eek).

But the nose twitch at the end, that was some real gold. Sold and sold.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Detective Stretchy-Bendy better be a loving recurring character and for a long time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have a strong suspicion that they originally really did just want Plastic Man for this character: a scummy low-life crook who Barry would look down on but eventually come to realize has the potential to be a hero. Then they decided on Elongated Man for whatever reason — hey, who knows, maybe Plas will be the mysterious seventh member of the JL film! :v: — so they had to write this dirty cop storyline in which is like...maybe makes Ralph a bit too lovely? Like it’s one thing to be a crook but a crooked cop is even worse? So then they had to finagle in the clause where he may be crooked but he did it for an okay reason and also Barry is a bit of a hypocrite with no room to talk here ‘cuz he lorded over Super Guantanamo and stuff.

Hey, I loved every scene with Ralph so I don’t mind it. Also every chance for Barry to realize how hypocritical he is is a good thing!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The creators, on having explicitly mentioned Ralph Dibny being dead in the first season:

quote:

“I don’t remember,” said Kreisberg, laughing. “You know what? You make a lot of TV, we’re gonna say some things that we probably shouldn’t have.”

But then Helbing chimed in with an explanation: “Hello, Flashpoint!”

“Oh yeah, Flashpoint,” chuckled Kreisberg. “That’s right, Flashpoint erased that. Doesn’t matter. Changed it. Sorry.”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Elongated Man was always the Flash Friend though. His first and most early appearances were all team ups with Barry (and maybe some backup stories at the end of Flash comics?). Flash never really had a lot to do with Plastic Man outside the Justice League from what I remember.

Only thing I could guess is that they knew they wouldn't be doing two stretchy guys in the C-double-U-niverse and decided to conflate the two by giving Ralph a slightly more interesting criminal backstory. But I'm pretty confident especially if they were intro'ing him on the Flash that they would use Elongated Man.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Tom Cavanagh, who directed this episode, talking about it. He pushed the comedic 40's detective noir feel and the donut drawer was his idea. He gave Dibney's actor a pep talk to go EXTRA with the part. It feels good when he talks about taking this season in that lighthearted direction. Also, his work for this episode is why he hasn't appeared onscreen much lately.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy A. Person posted:

Elongated Man was always the Flash Friend though. His first and most early appearances were all team ups with Barry (and maybe some backup stories at the end of Flash comics?). Flash never really had a lot to do with Plastic Man outside the Justice League from what I remember.

Only thing I could guess is that they knew they wouldn't be doing two stretchy guys in the C-double-U-niverse and decided to conflate the two by giving Ralph a slightly more interesting criminal backstory. But I'm pretty confident especially if they were intro'ing him on the Flash that they would use Elongated Man.

Yeah, it kind of felt like they mixed Plas and Dibny together for this—especially the way the bullet stretched his head, which is one of Plastic Man's trademarks.

Also I loved the subtle little gingold reference with Caitlyn's magic science potion. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also a bottle of Gingold in his office drawer.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Yer Burnt posted:

Tom Cavanagh, who directed this episode, talking about it. He pushed the comedic 40's detective noir feel and the donut drawer was his idea. He gave Dibney's actor a pep talk to go EXTRA with the part. It feels good when he talks about taking this season in that lighthearted direction. Also, his work for this episode is why he hasn't appeared onscreen much lately.

Speaking of our good friend Tommy:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-flash-is-about-to-go-all-rick-and-morty-on-us-1820055719 posted:

What would that look like with there being a Council of Wells that could convene? We thought, ‘Oh, this is going to be completely obnoxious and shameless when I get ahold of it,’ and it is proving to be super obnoxious and ultra-shameless.

This is going to be perfect. Reed Richards eat your heart out.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
This Dibny guy is amazing and should be in all the following episodes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That was a great episode, certainly the best since Season 1.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Holy poo poo this guy is amazing, also put me down for Carrey vibes too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Nothing against Trejo, but that whole B plot was straight out of a 1970s sitcom. Just awesome to watch.

I fixed that for you because it was great :colbert: In fact everything about that episode was great, I like lighthearted Flash so much more than serious Flash.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The best part was his name was Josh, also was anyone else disappointed that Gypsy's real name wasn't Ramona?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The best part of Trejo IMO was Cisco picking up the Machete and getting told 'too much'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't wait for Diggle to meet Dibney.

It better happen, Arrowverse.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dibny was in the previews for the next episode, so he's at least not jumping onto a bus immediately.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

GobiasIndustries posted:

I fixed that for you because it was great :colbert: In fact everything about that episode was great, I like lighthearted Flash so much more than serious Flash.

I dunno, I think I prefer when every line of dialogue is a lie to keep a secret while spending 6 months waiting for someone to be murdered

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What's the point of the mask Barry? You just tell every shmuck you walk past your identity.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

What's the point of the mask Barry? You just tell every shmuck you walk past your identity.

That intro isn't a fanciful inner monologue, it's literally him giving that exact speech to a different random person in line at the coffee shop or in the dentist waiting room or whatever

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I appreciate the return to first season silliness and monster-of-the-week instead of overarching armageddon plots. Sure, there is an overarching plot of thinker orchestrating everything for some reason, but so far the show has handled that in a good way. The first season also had a big baddie in reverse-flash, but were doing self-contained episode plots and MOTW up until the end, with GRODD as the last new enemy, introduced as late as episode 21 of 23. The first season could also mix in different tones in the palette, for instance the episode with Plastique where Barry got through to her and wanted to help her and get her on the team only to see her die right after.

I like the shows having different tones for each title or even between episodes, mixing long and short story arcs, and referencing themselves and one another. That's when I think they feel like the comics I read in my youth.

...And Danny Trejo is amazing all the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

That intro isn't a fanciful inner monologue, it's literally him giving that exact speech to a different random person in line at the coffee shop or in the dentist waiting room or whatever
My dream Flash episode is one in which Barry has to travel to a bunch of parallel worlds to chase a criminal, and each time he does a different character from the show reads the "fastest man alive" line. You basically give everyone a chance to be the Flash for a scene or two.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

My dream Flash episode is one in which Barry has to travel to a bunch of parallel worlds to chase a criminal, and each time he does a different character from the show reads the "fastest man alive" line. You basically give everyone a chance to be the Flash for a scene or two.

Now I really wanna see Jesse L. Martin in a Flash costume.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

My name is Mick Rory, and to the outside world I'm just your everyday arsonist-sociopath....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

XboxPants posted:

My name is Mick Rory, and to the outside world I'm just your everyday arsonist-sociopath....

He got the opening lines last season on Legends.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

He got the opening lines last season on Legends.

The best opening line of all time OF ALL TIME.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Now I really wanna see Jesse L. Martin in a Flash costume.

XboxPants posted:

See? It would be so much fun.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
This was a great episode but the best line from Trejo was the earnest, dead pan "I don't know where people go when they die."

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Definitely the best episode in a long while. I really like this season a lot so far, it's far more fun than the last.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

LongDarkNight posted:

This was a great episode but the best line from Trejo was the earnest, dead pan "I don't know where people go when they die."

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Yer Burnt posted:

Yeah, I was thinking he looked a lot like a younger Jim Carrey the entire episode.

And his powers are basically the same as Luffy from One Piece.