Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Kirios posted:

House Rules Monopoly are a blight upon our species.

I've got a house rule that whoever suggests Monopoly gets shot down and never gets to suggest games again, and that works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Monopoly is actually a double turns out because yes no one plays by the rules and yes it's still boring if you do

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my favourite character to play in monopoly is mario, because he is not playing crappy old monopoly, he is playing in the mario odyssey world

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meldonox posted:

I've got a house rule that whoever suggests Monopoly gets shot down and never gets to suggest games again, and that works pretty well.

Pretty sure the only House Rule you really need for Monopoly is "no hitting below the belt when the game goes south on everyone".

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

my favourite character to play in monopoly is mario, because he is not playing crappy old monopoly, he is playing in the mario odyssey world

mario is a very good capitalist he will murder anyone just for the single coin in their pocket, then exchanges all the money he has stolen for healthcare and fashion

Spellman
May 31, 2011

House rules 'cause comebacks are funner than slow death decided on the first or second lap around the board

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

this is a monopoly thread now

everyone post your favorite piece to play as

Wheelbarrow

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Monopoly game has ridiculous (10+ minutes in some cases) load times, apparently.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(10+ minutes in some cases)
what the gently caress

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

That Monopoly game has ridiculous (10+ minutes in some cases) load times, apparently.

It's a bug solved by restarting the game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what you get for playing loving Monopoly on your switch

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ubisoft has now hosed up both Tetris and Monopoly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah that's just how Monopoly plays

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ten minutes load time is nothing compared to the time you have wasted installing and playing monopoly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Reboot your switch, the monopoly load times will be normal then, apparently.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Suggestion #2: don't buy Monopoly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That too

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kaubocks posted:

When I was a foolhardy child, I played as the Car. Nowadays, I, an intellectual, always opt to play as the Shoe.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'm sorry you all know only unfun people that make board games unfun, thus tainting your views on them. Might I suggest playing board games with people that are less unfun?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A streaming group I follow does "AFK Thursdays" where they play various board games instead of video games. A couple months back they streamed themselves playing Monopoly with rules as written, zero House rules. It's still not a great game; but it's a whole lot more tolerable when people play it right. Complete with auctions and not a darn thing happening when you land on free parking.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've never finished a game of Monopoly in my life. I'm not even sure how you do "win." We just played until we got bored.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Silver Falcon posted:

I've never finished a game of Monopoly in my life. I'm not even sure how you do "win." We just played until we got bored.

You win by having all the other players go bankrupt. It's usually a pretty fast snowball once the first person goes down, because that player's property either goes to the player that bankrupted them, or to the bank where it is immediately put up for auction.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

Unfortunately that once took about five hours.
For everyone else to get bored anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure you win by reaching an amount of money or by being the last player standing. It has been at least ten years though, so

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

The idea is that eventually everyone except the winner will go bankrupt. Ironically one of the most common house rules (getting money for landing on Free Parking) is directly counter to this and tends to make the game last longer than it's supposed to.

I still don't think it's very fun if you play it right though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a Mario Party coming out in like a week, play that instead of Monopoly

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did they confirm whether that Mario Party game actually has boards from the old games, or just minigames?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It has boards & modes but I'm pretty sure none of them are from the old games and they aren't using the old formula.

Here's a trailer with some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VcLjBgLhq4

So like past 3DS Mario Parties it's more focused on game modes with short play sessions, which I think makes sense.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

Fit the dog on top of the iron so it's a surfing dog

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

It has boards & modes but I'm pretty sure none of them are from the old games and they aren't using the old formula.

Here's a trailer with some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VcLjBgLhq4

So like past 3DS Mario Parties it's more focused on game modes with short play sessions, which I think makes sense.

I just want a classic Mario Party; The kind where Bowser's Chance Time brings a loving relationship to the edge of bloodshed, and nobody is willing to talk to eachother for hours afterwards because someone managed to sweep the win through Bonus Stars.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Seems to me that that game already exists. In fact it exists eight times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also there's a 0% chance a mario party doesn't show up on Switch

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Two Beans posted:

I'm sorry you all know only unfun people that make board games unfun, thus tainting your views on them. Might I suggest playing board games with people that are less unfun?

why not play a fun board game with fun friends? maybe one that isn't on your video game console?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In Training posted:

Also there's a 0% chance a mario party doesn't show up on Switch

Except it'll almost certainly be in the new style with the shared car.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rirse posted:

The best Monopoly is still this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFNctqf6DmI

Actually pretty sure the best one is the one the Command & Conquer guys made.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except it'll almost certainly be in the new style with the shared car.

Probably, but I still hope they'll use the method from that toad mode in the last 3DS game where everyone moves at the same time.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

inferis posted:

why not play a fun board game with fun friends? maybe one that isn't on your video game console?

Because my rooftop parties and public transit trips aren't filled with old people activities.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Two Beans posted:

Because my rooftop parties and public transit trips aren't filled with old people activities.

No, *fun* board games. The good poo poo, from Europe.Old people don't wanna play those, they'll get mad because there's no dice to roll, and the mechanics actively encourage you to passive-aggressively gently caress with your opponents by occupying finite resources that they need.

"But, how will I know where I have to move my piece? Can we just play Clue?" -a mom, probably

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

the mechanics actively encourage you to passive-aggressively gently caress with your opponents by occupying finite resources that they need.

Sounds like Monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Two Beans posted:

Sounds like Monopoly.

Yeah, but in Monopoly you never actively decide to land on something. Your cruel denial of their third Red property is brought about by the whims of non-deterministic probability, like in real life, instead of your personal decision to buy that property out from under them... like in real life :smith: