Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
America should have banned the death penalty a long loving time ago.

Backwater rear end country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Data Graham posted:

"Chain restaurants" are the quintessential American cuisine
When people talk about lovely American food, they are usually talking about chain restaurant food, and they typically greatly exaggerate how bad it is. Most of it is passable, and right in the middle of the bell curve. But the U.S. also has a ton of one-off restaurants where you can get food that runs the full spectrum from terrible to amazing, but these are considered the exception and not the rule.

Other countries, especially Europe, still have all of those one-off restaurants with the full spectrum of quality, but not so many chain restaurants. But since people eat repeatedly at a good restaurant and only once at a lovely restaurant, the tendency is to oversample the good stuff and thus overestimate the average quality of food.

There is lovely food and great food everywhere. I've had terrible pizza in both Italy and the U.S., and amazing pizza in both as well.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

CyberPingu posted:

Counterpoint . Nazis don't need to be heard and shouldn't be.

They also think the killer's wife and 3 children are enemy combatants and should be "pressed hard." Valuable voices that must be heard.

Of course, that's just what Trump said should be done during the campaign.

John Adams defended British soldiers in court.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Bannon phones Trump

Look Donald, sure he deserves to die, many that live deserve to die, some die that deserve to live (Seth Rich), can you give them that?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

They also think the killer's wife and 3 children are enemy combatants and should be "pressed hard." Valuable voices that must be heard.

Of course, that's just what Trump said should be done during the campaign.

John Adams defended British soldiers in court.

I don't think they are THAT stupid. I read "pressing hard" as code for "torture them to set an example for future would-be terrorists". It's loving disgusting.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Aramis posted:

I don't think they are THAT stupid. I read "pressing hard" as code for "torture them to set an example for future would-be terrorists". It's loving disgusting.

That's why I put it in quotes. They believe the bullets soaked in pig blood (aka Muslim kryptonite) story.

Didn't Trump tell that story at a rally?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can confirm that Napoli pizza is amazing and good. Can also confirm that pizza in the US is amazing and good (except in Hawaii).

Also, while travelling and sitting with a group of internationals over dinner I asked what everyone missed about their home countries cuisine. A French girl said duck but because of her accent it sounded like "dick" and we all had a good laugh. I said wings and bbq and everyone nodded sagely in agreement

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 2, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
hahahaha oh my god if we get charges on actual organized crime members because of Manafort:
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/926053545253703680

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Foreigners eating at lovely American chain restaurants, and then declaring all American food to be worthless poo poo from a garbage monoculture based on that experience, will never end.

Unless Trump kills us all in atomic fire.

OH gently caress MONKEY'S PAW GOT ME AGAIN :psyduck:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Having lived in Italy for years I'm going to say the best American pizza is better then the best Italian pizza. Italian pizza gets old after a while.

The quintessential American culinary experience is taking other place's traditional foods and improving on them by ditching tradition and incorporating ideas from other cuisines.

Edit: autocorrect fail

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 2, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

hahahaha oh my god if we get charges on actual organized crime members because of Manafort:

??? But we already knew he was friendly with an oligarch close to Russian government, how is this news?

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah but PJ doesn't just poo poo out a bunch of nonsense, her posts are coherent and entirely legible, she's always been upfront about having mental issues, and most of all because she makes arguments that make sense, even if you disagree you kind of have to refute them rather than just making GBS threads on her for making them or acting like she's so crazy she's "suffering" and thus can/should be dismissed out of hand.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Same Great Paste posted:

Light googling indicates NY does not currently have the death penalty.

If he's being charged federally the death penalty can still be applied. I live in NYC and I got called up for a death penalty case once.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Proteus Jones posted:

How does it feel being so loving wrong all the time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Pizza EVOLVED from the naples food. even if you go to italy the pizza you get is just american pizza taken back to italy. Italian pizza is just bread with some tomatoes and some cheese and some meat on it. The layered food of sauce then cheese then topping is american food.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Foreigners eating at lovely American chain restaurants, and then declaring all American food to be worthless poo poo from a garbage monoculture based on that experience, will never end.

Let me just walk past a billion snooty microbrews to pick up a case of Bud Light and complain about watery beer.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Are you saying you can't get thai curry chicken pizza in Italy?

content

https://twitter.com/bikesnobnyc/status/925729291354169344

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OddObserver posted:

??? But we already knew he was friendly with an oligarch close to Russian government, how is this news?

There's "knowing," and then there's having evidence that will hold up in court. Mueller only seems to publicly announce the latter (as he should.)

But yeah, we already knew he owed Russian organized crime "oligarchs" something insane like $60 million.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If Trump keeps raving and ranting about killing this guy there's a possibility that the trial doesn't happen until Trump's gone.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/FormerBu/status/926074539230056448

Lordy. The former FBI director has meme-ified himself.

Or should I say... "he's running" ?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Proteus Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/925874946496180229

Everything about that video makes me uncomfortable.

That is horrifying. He should've taken the nuclear option and said he was gay...and with that hair it wouldn't have been a stretch.

And I just read in another reply that he's some kind of Nazi stand-up comic, so gently caress him, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2017

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Literally advocating for extermination camps.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The story was about the owner of Little Caesars, different person.

No it was Papa John's, who is a full on regressive rear end in a top hat.

The owner of Little Caesars was pretty philanthropic. IIRC, he paid Rosa Parks' rent for many years.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The most important thing to know about pizza is that the specific type of pizza you happen to like is “real” pizza and everything else can be angrily declared worthless garbage eaten by worthless garbage people.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Proteus Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/925874946496180229

Everything about that video makes me uncomfortable.

This is incredible and horrifying.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

letthereberock posted:

The most important thing to know about pizza is that the specific type of pizza you happen to like is “real” pizza and everything else can be angrily declared worthless garbage eaten by worthless garbage people.

There is a reason 'new york style pizza" is a thing and "chicago deep dish" is a thing, but like "spanish pizza" or yorkshire pizza isn't. There is lots and lots of food america only has a bad copy version on but it's like claiming you need to go to europe to get real tex mex food.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

OddObserver posted:

These Manafort articles come out every other week and I can never tell if I've heard them before, or if Manafort is twice as corrupt as I previously thought.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Ague Proof posted:

Reddit admin on the_Donald, a subreddit that regularly calls for people they disagree with to be murdered:

That ama is funny because it made it very obvious that the Reddit admins have no loving clue what they are doing and are too cowardly to try anything

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

EwokEntourage posted:

That ama is funny because it made it very obvious that the Reddit admins have no loving clue what they are doing and are too cowardly to try anything

Libertarians in a nutshell.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Thats why Felix Sater was so pessimistic about being indicted earlier this year. He is part of Mogliavitch's criminal empire and Trump's real estate business is built on being a washing machine for the Russian mob. https://newrepublic.com/article/143586/trumps-russian-laundromat-trump-tower-luxury-high-rises-dirty-money-international-crime-syndicate

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Inferior Third Season posted:

When people talk about lovely American food, they are usually talking about chain restaurant food, and they typically greatly exaggerate how bad it is. Most of it is passable, and right in the middle of the bell curve. But the U.S. also has a ton of one-off restaurants where you can get food that runs the full spectrum from terrible to amazing, but these are considered the exception and not the rule.

Other countries, especially Europe, still have all of those one-off restaurants with the full spectrum of quality, but not so many chain restaurants. But since people eat repeatedly at a good restaurant and only once at a lovely restaurant, the tendency is to oversample the good stuff and thus overestimate the average quality of food.

There is lovely food and great food everywhere. I've had terrible pizza in both Italy and the U.S., and amazing pizza in both as well.

I just moved to Finland from Australia and generally the one-off restaurants in the city I'm in are many times worse than Australian chain restaurant food.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

highme posted:

The owner of Little Caesars was pretty philanthropic. IIRC, he paid Rosa Parks' rent for many years.

Indeed he did, and it should be noted that he didn’t make a big deal of it. It was only publicly known in 2014, almost 10 years after Park’s death.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dmitri-9 posted:

Thats why Felix Sater was so pessimistic about being indicted earlier this year. He is part of Mogliavitch's criminal empire and Trump's real estate business is built on being a washing machine for the Russian mob. https://newrepublic.com/article/143586/trumps-russian-laundromat-trump-tower-luxury-high-rises-dirty-money-international-crime-syndicate

Don't forget the still-likely use of his 'modeling agency' to move prostitutes/sex slaves around for the Russian mob as well. That's honestly the thing I want to see the evangelicals try to justify if/when it outs.

"Jesus and Mary Magdalene would have approved because whores get *much* better treatment nowadays than they did back then and pimps are really just 'Alpha males' when you get right down to it *wow* I love cognitive dissonance. :v:"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

highme posted:

Yes, I know that, that's the story I was referencing, it was posted in this thread earlier, then people started talking about Papa John.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Let me just walk past a billion snooty microbrews to pick up a case of Bud Light and complain about watery beer.

One of the things that stuck out to me visiting Ireland was that every pub had some Irish beers on tap, plus Budweiser and Stella for their imports. I would have thought Bud was for the more timid American tourists, but most of the people drinking it were locals.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/FormerBu/status/926074539230056448

Lordy. The former FBI director has meme-ified himself.

Or should I say... "he's running" ?

The first time since college I actually wanted to read someones memoires.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

Re: the Papa John's story a few pages back.

This is the same dude who lied and told people he'd have to fire so many pizza makers because he simply could not afford to raise the price of pizza a couple of cents to cover their healthcare back when the healthcare law was being debated/crafted.

he also said this while living in a loving enormous and garish mansion estate.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not gonna back down on this one. America invented pizza (the modern food called pizza) . America is the place you go to get pizza.

It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things like what constitutes good pizza, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a terrible poster (like Owlofcreamcheese).

It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the Good Poster] should read Owlofcreamcheese posting so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with serious posts, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

One of the things that stuck out to me visiting Ireland was that every pub had some Irish beers on tap, plus Budweiser and Stella for their imports. I would have thought Bud was for the more timid American tourists, but most of the people drinking it were locals.

It's relatively easy to make a hoppy IPA, but far more difficult to make a smooth lager. Budweiser is fine if you want something that tastes relatively good and goes down easy. Miller High Life is better though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Killer robot posted:

are you implying that when I go on vacation and eat only at fancy restaurants, that's not what the locals do, and that most days people just want something cheap and accessible?????

also pizza is always delicious and if you're turning your nose up at any pizza as beneath you you're a moron. APAB, all pizzas are beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

highme posted:

He also put literal billions into rebuilding Detroit, and getting peoples jobs/ways to keep their families afloat during the recession.

And he's never admitted to any of it, the only way people know is they checked his tax records. He's a legit good person.

• Locked thread