Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Wish they'd use all of those for costume slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That's a fuckton of mana prisms I'd have to save up to get all the costumes I want

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
And another fuckton of resources getting everyone to max level, and then more resources to actually get the costumes.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
That's weird. I feel uncomfortable having looked at that. I didn't want to know that he cleaned up that nicely.

Also, as I undererstand the Gender Flip thing, I think more than half the time it's blamed on history not accurately recording the event or the character's gender being lost and later generations just assuming that they'd have had to have been a man to do the things they did.

Alternatively, summoning fuckery, because while the Throne of Heroes from which the Servants are called has rules, being history-shaping heroes means that a lot of the inhabitants have very little respect for said rules.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
With FGO, it's pretty much gotten to the point where it's just, "Why not, don't think about it too much"

I mean, with some Servants, yeah there's a reason why there's a gender flip, but I guess I've been into Fate for too long, I don't even bother to blink when it happens anymore

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I do appreciate it when they make some token effort towards it, though. LIke DaVinci. "He's a high-level caster, he can do what he wants, and he wanted to be the Mona Lisa."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I mean you can also argue summoning guys as girls makes sense because the Throne of Heroes is outside of both Time and Dimensions, so when they summon a female Nobunaga Oda they might just be summoning a version of Oda that was a girl.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mean you can also argue summoning guys as girls makes sense because the Throne of Heroes is outside of both Time and Dimensions, so when they summon a female Nobunaga Oda they might just be summoning a version of Oda that was a girl.

This is explicitly what happens with Musashi.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Current numbers of non- genderswapped ladies by class for NA:

Saber: 0/9 (1/9 if you count d'Eon) + 5 genderswaps
Archer: 3/7
Lancer: 1/7
Rider: 5/10 (possibly 6 if Drake's really QE) + 1 genderswap
Caster: 4/11
Assassin: 4/8
Berserker: 2/12

Those are actually rather reasonable numbers, with the only real imbalances being in the three true melee classes, where it is indeed harder to find classical female figures (and Saber class is a joke anyways, what with all the genderswaps).

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
"Emperor Nero...Was a woman...?"
"History is deep."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Emperor is cute so I don't care.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

LightningSquid posted:

So, F2P people in the thread, how many 4* or 5* units do you all have so far? I'm concerned about running out of free quartz without getting anything interesting (although I have rolled two more 4* aside from the free one), but that's probably just because I've been spoiled by FEH

EDIT: Also, can you roll Salter and Nero on banners aside from the story one, because I'd really like one of those two but I've been told it's a bad idea to roll story

I've been logging in for 73 days and I have

*Marie
*Nero
*Halloween Liz

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Embracing the chaos is the only way to Gacha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTUZ2SrSxsA

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Ripley posted:

This CE, he does look surprisingly dapper.
He's just one hell of a butler.

Sorry.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Caesar's art look so drat weird

and why is Herc in beach wear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Current numbers of non- genderswapped ladies by class for NA:

Saber: 0/9 (1/9 if you count d'Eon) + 5 genderswaps
Archer: 3/7
Lancer: 1/7
Rider: 5/10 (possibly 6 if Drake's really QE) + 1 genderswap
Caster: 4/11
Assassin: 4/8
Berserker: 2/12

Those are actually rather reasonable numbers, with the only real imbalances being in the three true melee classes, where it is indeed harder to find classical female figures (and Saber class is a joke anyways, what with all the genderswaps).
Also 90% of the genderswaps in the game are just Arturia variants so its hard to really count them as separate entities.

If you don't count variants on the same character there's only 17 genderswapped figures in the JP version, out of over 150. And like half of those are reasonable in some way. Jack the Ripper's identity isn't known, so it's possible they were a woman even if deductive reasoning mostly rules that out. And a ton of them didn't exist, so they're just variations on mythology, which is something a lot of things already play with. The gender of characters has changed over time in all sorts of folk tales and mythologies. The list of actual historical figures that're genderswapped is like, 5 people long.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't find it currently, but at one point I stumbled across a site that had a slider to show you what the stats would be of a given servant from levels 1-100. So if I wanted to check what Cu would be like when grailed to 90, I could do so (the implication being to compare him against a 4* like Liz). Does anyone know where this site/info was or was it all a fever dream on my part?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I feel like that is just being too lenient though. Even if a vast majority of these characters are fictional, their established genders are typically in place with their lore. Saying that the genderswaps are really for any reason aside from pandering to a set fan base is giving a little too much credit.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 2, 2017

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

The gender of characters has changed over time in all sorts of folk tales and mythologies. The list of actual historical figures that're genderswapped is like, 5 people long.

And I think most of those are of Japanese historical figures.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

I feel like that is just being too lenient though. Even if a vast majority of these characters are fictional, their established genders are typically in place with their lore. Saying that the genderswaps are really for any reason aside from pandering to a set fan base is giving a little too much credit.

i mean with fgo's fanbase a sexy dude can earn about as much money as a sexy girl

and with some of the genderswapped figures they do actually do interesting things with their gender. nobu is actually an example of that, tho only in gudaguda 2.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

and with some of the genderswapped figures they do actually do interesting things with their gender. nobu is actually an example of that, tho only in gudaguda 2.
Agreed, but I'm not above calling it how it is. I mean, look at Paul Bunyan.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Nate RFB posted:

I can't find it currently, but at one point I stumbled across a site that had a slider to show you what the stats would be of a given servant from levels 1-100. So if I wanted to check what Cu would be like when grailed to 90, I could do so (the implication being to compare him against a 4* like Liz). Does anyone know where this site/info was or was it all a fever dream on my part?

Gamepress? It's not a slider but it has their entire curve graphed. https://grandorder.gamepress.gg/servant/cu-chulainn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

Agreed, but I'm not above calling it how it is. I mean, look at Paul Bunyan.

i mean bunyan is from the riyo comics and she's genderswapped there because the riyo comics are jokes and 'look at this goofy unfitting genderswaps' is a pretty obvious joke to make

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know that website, but I can show you my grailed Cu. :v: (no CE)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't know that website, but I can show you my grailed Cu. :v:

hell yeah

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Flappy Bert posted:

Gamepress? It's not a slider but it has their entire curve graphed. https://grandorder.gamepress.gg/servant/cu-chulainn
Yeah I checked there first but it didn't have the slider so I moved on. That said I do see now that it has/had little dots you can hover over to see what their stats are in 5 level increments so that works just as well.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't know that website, but I can show you my grailed Cu. :v: (no CE)

Also helpful, thanks.

So looks like 8942 is the magic non-fou number vs. Liz's 9142 at 80. I suppose that's close enough that near as makes no difference he'd be the better Lancer given his existing skillset.

Basically I have a bunch of Lancer XP cards to burn and it's a question of either grailing Cu or dumping them into Liz whom I was able to pick up during Halloween. Definitely been leaning towards the former, but I've just been really stingy about committing the grails.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

LightningSquid posted:

So, F2P people in the thread, how many 4* or 5* units do you all have so far? I'm concerned about running out of free quartz without getting anything interesting (although I have rolled two more 4* aside from the free one), but that's probably just because I've been spoiled by FEH
Servants-only I have three 5*s (Tamamo, Altera and Arturia) and two 4*s that weren't freebies (Heracles and Atalante). Emiya, Carmilla and Saber Lily were all promotion stuff/from the guaranteed roll.

CEs my luck is much better with three Kaleidoscopes, three Heavens Feels, two Black Grails, two Prisma Cosmos, an Imaginary Around, Formal Craft, Victor of the Moon and Another Ending.

All from free quartz, all just gotten randomly (except Tamamo whom I did significantly deplete my stockpile for), and I still have sixty in the tank and a handful of tickets. Arturia and Altera both came from yolo-rolling tickets.

From past experience I'm feast/famine when it comes to gacha games though, so I'm looking forward to a future of nothing but garbage for a long while.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 2, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Basically I have a bunch of Lancer XP cards to burn and it's a question of either grailing Cu or dumping them into Liz whom I was able to pick up during Halloween. Definitely been leaning towards the former, but I've just been really stingy about committing the grails.
As always different roles; Liz is a strong support for the right team. I feel like Cu is a bit redundant if you're heavily invested in Herc already? A team can only have one anchor after all, and it's not like Herc has any bad type matchups.

edit:

Pierson posted:

Servants-only I have three 5*s (Tamamo, Altera and Arturia) and two 4*s that weren't freebies (Heracles and Atalante). Emiya, Carmilla and Saber Lily were all promotion stuff/from the guaranteed roll.

:sigh:
Eh, by that metric I have zero 5*s and four 4*s after using everything since launch. I'd say your luck has been pretty average.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 2, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Pretty sure we've only had maybe 400~ish quartz since launch, so 3 5-stars is pretty above average.

e: Anyways, if we're discussing it, I've been playing since launch and have 4 5-stars (Drake, Altera, Kintoki, Vlad) and 3 4-stars (Anne & Mary, Saber Alter, Chevalier) plus Emiya/Carmilla/Tamamo Cat from the tutorial roll/promotional 4-star, with 57 quartz leftover.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 2, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NRVNQSR posted:

As always different roles; Liz is a strong support for the right team. I feel like Cu is a bit redundant if you're heavily invested in Herc already? A team can only have one anchor after all, and it's not like Herc has any bad type matchups.
There's definitely some intangibles in this equation, since I like Cu as a character far more than Liz. I also figure 4*-ish stats with a NP5 single target NP is pretty great.

All things being equal I would love to also grail Robin since I can only imagine what his NP would do with level 90 stats. And Carmilla who ~somehow~ I got to NP5 would probably do quite well boosted up a bunch.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah if you're completely F2P and have 3 five stars, you're doing pretty well for yourself.

I've dolphin'd a bit in addition to any free quartz + tickets and my 5* servants are just Altera and Arturia.

4*-wise, I've got Anne/Mary, Nero, Emiya, Carmilla, and Lancer Liz (plus Saber Lily, Caster Liz, and a Herc I got with the 4* ticket). Emiya and Lancer Liz were from my tutorial roll, I believe - as was Arturia, now that I think about it.

Somewhat loaded down with CEs. Another Ending, Black Grail, 2x Heaven's Feel, 3x Kaleidoscope, Limited/Zero Over, and 2x Imaginary Around.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TheFireMagi posted:

Pretty sure we've only had maybe 400~ish quartz since launch, so 3 5-stars is pretty above average.

It's a bit more than that, especially once you add in tickets. I've done just over 250 f2p rolls since launch, though that includes the tutorial roll.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm completely F2P and I have:

5*: Altera, Drake, Waver (NP2), Kintoki (NP2), Jeanne.
4*: Siegfried, Emiya, Marie, Stheno, Carmilla, Tamacat + Welfare Liz and welfare Lily Altria.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

I haven't bought quartz either because seriously the price is insane for an impulse buy thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

coolusername posted:

4*: Siegfried, Emiya, Marie, Stheno, Carmilla, Tamacat + Welfare Liz and welfare Lily Altria.

jesus christ

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The prices for FGO gacha currency are probably the cheapest out of the mobage I play/know of, even more so after second anniversary, though the only time I've bought any was for the recent 5* roll in jp.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

LightningSquid posted:

EDIT: Also, can you roll Salter and Nero on banners aside from the story one, because I'd really like one of those two but I've been told it's a bad idea to roll story

I started in early July when the first Gil banner was up and rerolled for him. My starter was Saint Martha and they also did the 4* giveaway so I chose Marie. Since then the only 5* or 4* I’ve gotten aside from the welfare Saber Lily and Caster Liz are Nero, SAlter and Carmilla (all 4*). Granted I have 240 some quartz saved for the Scathach/2030 banner so I haven’t quartz pulled since the Moon Festival banner.

Edit: I am also completely F2P although I’ll probably buy a package for the new years 5* paid gacha

TicalStal fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 2, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
F2P here as well.

5*: Altera
4*: Liz, Caster Liz, Saber Lily, Lancelot, Carmilla, D'eon, Emiya, Martha, Tamacat

I could use another 5*.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

coolusername posted:

This is extremely above average. Also, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mmm, must be nice to have luck