Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Basic Chunnel posted:

They did that with the primary elevator system but it was sort of a pain to implement. It only really served to impress upon players the interior scale of the station, and did so admirably.

It also serves as a nice touch towards the end for the Apex Typhon.

Gotta say I was pretty baffled by the one line ending until the post-credits scene. I don't actually think the fact that you're a typhon is supposed to be much of a secret, but I think the fact you're in a simulation could easily have gone either way, so long as you don't take December's ending. It was easily ambiguous enough that the reveal could've been that you're in the real world and a typhon.

A little surprised that the ending is tough on a typhon-only run though. I played a hybrid run and you can just mindjack the nightmare every time it shows up and psychoshock anything else. I used all of my satellite charges to call my pet nightmare in to clear out rooms for me. Maybe higher difficulties it doesn't last as long?.

Pretty keen to try split affinity now, although I burned out a little tracking down every last person I could on the station.

GlyphGryph posted:

Fast travel sucks, the way the game does it with EVA and the central elevator is fine.

Both stealth and combat outside felt a bit tedious to me, especially before you're fully upgraded. I suppose they wanted to preserve the tension without having a safe area but I wonder whether having it be safe and utilised much more frequently might have made for a nice change to the gameplay when the apex shows up.

hampig fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

aniviron posted:

While I'm inclined to agree, for whatever reason that makes a lot of people really mad (Mass Effect 1 elevators/airlocks). I don't really get it, you were going to have to load anyway; might as well do it in a way that makes the place feel less video-gamey.

People like the loading bar so it doesn't feel like nothing. The Mass Effect elevators were annoying because they didn't announce there was a reason for the delay, I think.

That said, I reckon Prey could've had a screen in airlock with an "equalising pressure: x%" display and people would've gotten the message.

Basic Chunnel posted:

They did that with the primary elevator system but it was sort of a pain to implement. It only really served to impress upon players the interior scale of the station, and did so admirably.

Nah, the Elevator entirely within is in the Lobby space, you have to load to Lobby at Arboretum or Life Support before you even board.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 31, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pretty sure the elevator is accurately scaled to the size of the station, though. The speedruns go out of bounds and travel parallel to the elevator, and it looks about the right distance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hampig posted:

A little surprised that the ending is tough on a typhon-only run though. I played a hybrid run and you can just mindjack the nightmare every time it shows up and psychoshock anything else. I used all of my satellite charges to call my pet nightmare in to clear out rooms for me. Maybe higher difficulties it doesn't last as long?.

On a hybrid run you end the game as a terrifyingly brutal asskicker who can drop-kick the Nightmare straight into a recycler without breaking stride and erase an entire room of phantoms in half a second.

On a pure-Typhon run, though:
- you can't upgrade any weapons past L1, or upgrade your inventory capacity, so you're much more reliant on psi powers;
- medkits and food are much less effective, so you need more of them while being able to carry less;
- you're limited to only two suit and scope chipsets;
- and you can never upgrade the psi pool that powers all those cool Typhon abilities.

I haven't tried pure-Typhon yet, but it doesn't surprise me at all that it would be harder than either pure-human or hybrid.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The difference is that basically every typhon neuromod is some kind of cool active power or a pretty specific passive with one of those as a prerequisite. Human neuromod have almost no active abilities but they have all the essentials with raw stat increases. Those stat increases make you 2-4 times as powerful as tiny weak twiggy baby morgan at the start of the game in most areas. So even without the typhon powers it gets you 300 health, super run speed and the ability to instakill most of the enemies in the game with a shotgun. That stuff is really a lot more irreplaceable than turning into a mug (usually replaced by toy crossbow) or the lightning power (replaced by EMP grenades) for example

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh and NO HACKING

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I found pure human to be relatively easy, and it was my first play through. Monster stats, a sniper rifle that calls itself a pistol, a "gently caress you" machine that calls itself a shotgun, hilarity with the shock gun thing and a small army of turbo turrets to do my dirty work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

a small army of turbo turrets to do my dirty work. mysteriously break every time I zone out then return

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If you fold turrets up into their convenient carrying form then they won't break when you leave and return to the area. :eng101:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

oh that's something I was wondering when I was playing the game. like what is going on in the background when you're not in an area. Are the turrets just automatically breaking over time? I read one steam thread from a guy who said he put reinforced ones on the roof of the greenhouse and they were still broken when he came back to them later.

I kind of got the feeling as I was playing that they just automatically broke down. Initially I was setting them up pre-emptively so that maybe when I came back through, the area would be relatively safe, but it was always a disaster zone

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 1, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

oh that's something I was wondering when I was playing the game. like what is going on in the background when you're not in an area. Are the turrets just automatically breaking over time? I read one steam thread from a guy who said he put reinforced ones on the roof of the greenhouse and they were still broken when he came back to them later.

I kind of got the feeling as I was playing that they just automatically broke down. Initially I was setting them up pre-emptively so that maybe when I came back through, the area would be relatively safe, but it was always a disaster zone

A few people elsewhere in the thread have reported success carpeting areas in turrets and then hearing them fighting enemies when they zone back in. IME turrets are really hard to use effectively, though; a single bolt from a phantom will knock them over and then they're useless (and helpless) even if not destroyed.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

A few people elsewhere in the thread have reported success carpeting areas in turrets and then hearing them fighting enemies when they zone back in. IME turrets are really hard to use effectively, though; a single bolt from a phantom will knock them over and then they're useless (and helpless) even if not destroyed.

I found I needed a cluster of about 3 fortified turrets (2 in a very good position) to ensure they'd still be around when I came back, single turrets will just get broken. I don't think un-fortified turrets are worth the bother unless you can babysit them. In the Arboretum I managed to get six turrets set up near the lift and three times zoned in to find a nightmare corpse ready to loot so that was nice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fortified turrets should be harder to tip, it's slightly ridiculous at the moment. A single mimic jump can take one out first second.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Being able to militarize operators to follow you around and laser things would have been much more useful than the turrets.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Digirat posted:

The difference is that basically every typhon neuromod is some kind of cool active power or a pretty specific passive with one of those as a prerequisite. Human neuromod have almost no active That stuff is really a lot more irreplaceable than turning into a mug

obviously you and i play this game very differently.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The proper way to play human only is to max out the leverage mods and kill all the typhoon by throwing heavy things at them.

It basically turns the game into a FPS version of Donkey Kong.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Vakal posted:

Also, while we are on the subject of the endings. I feel like there was going to be another ending path that was cut sometime during development.

Most people probably noticed that the January operator seems a bit "sinister" at times and the game implies that January is the one that destroys the December operator.

Then in one of that late game transcribes, a pre-memory loss Morgan explains his/her plans and introduces an operator named October as being the failsafe that will help the player in case something goes wrong.

As far as I know, October is never mentioned anywhere else in game. So I'm wondering if the original plan was for January to be revealed as a planted agent in order to ensure the station got blown up for some reason.

What do you mean 'implies'? I'm pretty sure in my first run I saw January straight-up blast December when I went to go and meet it in the Neuromod division.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Vakal posted:

The proper way to play human only is to max out the leverage mods and kill all the typhoon by throwing heavy things at them.

It basically turns the game into a FPS version of Donkey Kong.

I'm sorry, but you've mispelled 'inject the souls of great wrench users from out of time and space into your eye' incorrectly.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Vakal posted:

As far as I know, October is never mentioned anywhere else in game. So I'm wondering if the original plan was for January to be revealed as a planted agent in order to ensure the station got blown up for some reason.

October is the half-disassembled operator connected to terminal in Morgan's room in Crew Quarters.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anticheese posted:

What do you mean 'implies'? I'm pretty sure in my first run I saw January straight-up blast December when I went to go and meet it in the Neuromod division.

If, like I did my first time through, you get Neuromod Division and Psychotronics Division confused and spend enough time wandering around Psychotronics looking for December, January will kill it off screen -- you get a message from it asking where you're going, which is then interrupted, and January contacts you shortly afterwards telling you not to trust December. It's pretty clear that January destroyed it but it's not outright stated.

Pyromancer posted:

October is the half-disassembled operator connected to terminal in Morgan's room in Crew Quarters.

Yeah, I don't think it was "pre-memory-loss Morgan" who left that note. One of the transcribes mentions that Morgan has requisitioned "enough parts to make half a dozen Operators from scratch" or something to that effect; I think she just really likes having them as backup, and since the station wasn't in immediate danger when she started work on October, December and January hadn't revealed themselves yet, so she thought it was the first one.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vakal posted:

Being able to militarize operators to follow you around and laser things would have been much more useful than the turrets.

The entire section with those hunter killer operators was a complete joke with enough hacking and a GLOO gun. I was kinda sad to see them stop spawning. If I heard the dispenser start up to make another I'd come running, eagerly awaiting more lasery death to add to my horde.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Each month-named operator is a reflection of Morgan's mindset at the time it was made. That's what gives them their names, if it isn't clear. January gives its full name as "January 2035" when you first meet it in person; it was literally built in January '35 and reflects the suicidal mindset Morgan had when they escaped the simulation at that time.

If October was the first made, and was made before Morgan's neuromods got pulled out the first time, it is the "purest" copy of Morgan's will when they had the most information.

Morgan has some good ideas. He keeps having the same good ideas every time his memory is erased.

One thing I wonder, could they have made a neuromod copy of Morgan's memory before pulling the mods out?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IMJack posted:

Each month-named operator is a reflection of Morgan's mindset at the time it was made. That's what gives them their names, if it isn't clear. January gives its full name as "January 2035" when you first meet it in person; it was literally built in January '35 and reflects the suicidal mindset Morgan had when they escaped the simulation at that time.

If October was the first made, and was made before Morgan's neuromods got pulled out the first time, it is the "purest" copy of Morgan's will when they had the most information.

Morgan has some good ideas. He keeps having the same good ideas every time his memory is erased.

One thing I wonder, could they have made a neuromod copy of Morgan's memory before pulling the mods out?

I had this interpretation as well.

Also, I took the voice quality of each operator as indicative of its age. So October was very early and has the shittiest voice samples, similar to the cooking operator that Morgan made for the Chef. December has slightly better voice samples, and January has great voice samples. That ordering of ages also matches up with their names, which I'm sure is no coincidence.

Prey takes place in March

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, there are october audio logs? where?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

wait, there are october audio logs? where?

There's a transcribe from Morgan to herself inside of Alex's safe room, featuring October

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I had this interpretation as well.

Yeah I agree, although I'm not sure I'd say that October is the 'purest' or most accurate version, even if it was the first. The entire point is that they are all equally real and equally Morgan, and you get to literally choose the version of yourself that you like. I like how the conceit works on all three levels as a way for the player to choose how they approach situations, as a way for the Typhon to choose what kind of person they want to be, and in the simulation as a nice mystery to unravel.

Not sure I'd say that January generally represents a suicidal impulse though, as much as a representation (and critique?) of hyper-rational consequentialism. I'll have to pay more attention next time through, but my recollection is that almost everything January says to convince you is an appeal to reason.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 2, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

The entire section with those hunter killer operators was a complete joke with enough hacking and a GLOO gun. I was kinda sad to see them stop spawning. If I heard the dispenser start up to make another I'd come running, eagerly awaiting more lasery death to add to my horde.

I found hacking annoying enough as a minigame that I didn't do it unless I had to, so my approach was to put the mind whammy on some of them and let them fight it out with each other somewhere around the ceiling while I walked past unmolested.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah the hacking mini game isn't going to win any awards on its own merits, but the results can be pretty good so I put up with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there a mod to just auto success the hacking minigame? I never saw why people wanted to skip it in fallout because it was a legit puzzle, but here its just the same minimaps over and over again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pretty sure cheat engine's got you covered there

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I agree with that poster that a story thread/layer was removed from the game, and the vagaries surrounding October and the "all neuromods are made of Typhons!!" revelation (that gets introduced and then mostly forgotten) are the slightly-awkward leftovers from.

I also think that's why we get those terrible one-line "endings". The simulation/"you are a typhon" thing clearly seems to have been ready for a while, but the three flavors of generic self-destruct sequence feels hacked in at the 11th hour.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty sure cheat engine's got you covered there

Can't install it, I play poo poo competitively online and if they detect that installed, you get banned. If you can't mod it, i'm poo poo outta luck!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If I get Prey on Steam, will it replace the original? I heard you can't play both games at the same time, but I don't know if I can risk losing the priginal game, since I don't have my physical copy of the original anymore.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

If I get Prey on Steam, will it replace the original? I heard you can't play both games at the same time, but I don't know if I can risk losing the priginal game, since I don't have my physical copy of the original anymore.

It will not. I have both installed right now. Steam uses unique ID numbers to identify games in its system, not the names, so a problem like that shouldn't ever happen.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gadzuko posted:

It will not. I have both installed right now. Steam uses unique ID numbers to identify games in its system, not the names, so a problem like that shouldn't ever happen.

Good to know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's this game's taskbar icon, anyway? It seems... random and unrelated.

I just got several different endings and I feel like they really should have just prerendered the big money shots before the credits.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 3, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

What's this game's taskbar icon, anyway? It seems... random and unrelated

The logo? It's an arrangement of the lasers on the psychoscope. I don't think it has any significance, it just looks neat. The closest thing this game has to a recurring symbol or icon is the Transtar logo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

dogstile posted:

Is there a mod to just auto success the hacking minigame? I never saw why people wanted to skip it in fallout because it was a legit puzzle, but here its just the same minimaps over and over again

https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/8/

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey gang I just started playing this in the last few days and its very good so far but I'm pretty bad at it! Some questions:

-I just made it to the Arboretum and when I tried to unfuck the elevator there was a technopath in a small space that murdered me handily. Was that a warning sign saying 'come back later' or was I missing an obvious trick?
-For combat prowess, should I max the wrench or keep buffing the shotgun like I've been doing?
-I know the game is all about memory and such and hinting at your actions pre-reset, but they're not gonna Mario 2 me, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey gang I just started playing this in the last few days and its very good so far but I'm pretty bad at it! Some questions:

-I just made it to the Arboretum and when I tried to unfuck the elevator there was a technopath in a small space that murdered me handily. Was that a warning sign saying 'come back later' or was I missing an obvious trick?
-For combat prowess, should I max the wrench or keep buffing the shotgun like I've been doing?
-I know the game is all about memory and such and hinting at your actions pre-reset, but they're not gonna Mario 2 me, are they?

If you're in the Arboretum then you're able to kill the Technopath, and you should do that. Try different weapons (and powers if you have them)

Don't bother with the wrench abilities, but the shotgun is excellent to upgrade, and so is the stun gun (the upgrade on stun gun capacity is secretly an upgrade on your ammo efficiency for that weapon; a battery is a full reload regardless of how many shots that represents)

Nope it's not all just a fat plumber's dream