Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Pit

Nebula systems are hell cool and our specific technology focus on massive lasers, excellent armour, good speed and excellent sensors means we are almost tailor made to excel in a nebula. The fact that it likely leads to other nebula systems for us to be awesome in is just gravy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

Let's not go there, it is a silly place.

Graveyard

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Let's not go there, it is a silly place.

Mm. Fair point, nebulae do tend to be bad news.

Graveyard

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The Pit sounds like a fun time!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So horrible death, or horrible death we can't see?

Uh... I guess The Graveyard. Let's go anger us a Space Hitler civilization and get erased from existence.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Really this all comes down to whether we want to reenact parts of Freespace 1 or Freespace 2.

If you wanna reenact the part of 1 where we're searching for ancient ruins, you pick the Graveyard.
If you wanna reenact the part of 2 where we're hunting Shivans in the nebula, you pick the Pit.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

The Pit

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dr. Snark posted:

Really this all comes down to whether we want to reenact parts of Freespace 1 or Freespace 2.

If you wanna reenact the part of 1 where we're searching for ancient ruins, you pick the Graveyard.
If you wanna reenact the part of 2 where we're hunting Shivans in the nebula, you pick the Pit.

:discourse:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah, the Nebula part heavily gave off the Freespace 2 vibe, which easily pushed me over to dealing with Space Hitler. gently caress dealing with nebula bullshit.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Saros posted:

The Graveyard
Every single outpost in the system down to the most minor asteroid settlement has been targeted by high power conversion-weaponry and utterly destroyed. Little remains but the blasted remnants of the largest cities and some orbital debris. At roughly the same time a huge amount of Flourine was dumped into the atmospheres of both inhabited bodies. The extremely reactive gas scouring them of all life other than extremophile microbes.

Sounds like somebody likes warcrimes even more than we do! I vote for The Graveyard.

Dr. Snark posted:

Good point.

A lot more people died from aliens at the end of Freespace 2 than Freespace 1. Let's go with the option that leads to less people dying from aliens.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Six-limbed penguins? Gabbleducks confirmed. Now we need to find the Hooders.

Graveyard

this post will look very silly to anyone who hasn't read the Polity books

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Let's descend into the Pit.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
So...The Pit Or The Penguin?
(please excuse my poer pun)

something stinks in that Pit, let's go sniff it out.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Inglonias posted:

A lot more people died from aliens at the end of Freespace 2 than Freespace 1. Let's go with the option that leads to less people dying from aliens.

The Shivans are gonna keep existing whether you look at them or not, so we might as well just get it over with and start trying to deal with them now rather than later.

Also, immense mutant penguins living in remote icy cities is pretty much peak At the Mountains of Madness.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I like beams, and we have good beams. Into the Pit!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
These are both fantastic choices!

I'll choose The Pit

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Graveyard

Let's find who murdered the penguins are give them a taste of warcrimes.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
The Pit

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Graveyard

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
The Space Penguins need avenging, and the nebula screams eye of terror.

The Graveyard

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
The Pit sounds like a good place to go!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Pit

You all realise that our shields and missiles are secondary. lets get into a knife fight in a closet with spinal mounts

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I for one believe that the graveyard should be investigated first. And cautiously.

I would also put the following proposal towards consideration:

Assuming Anti Penguin Space Hitler placed some type of trap/trigger beacons (to inform it of interlopers), these may well not be on the planet, but rather on some type of solar orbit (geological timescale beacons would probably run on some measure of solar energy), perhaps one that is synchronized with the orbit of the planet itself in order to make measure and detection easier, and in an area not or rarely affected by coronal ejections or whatever.

As such, I would deem it imperative to search for such possible trap beacons first.

Also, I am totally not Mrs. Putin, disregard my Avatar.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nebula!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I like the idea of the Pit. Lets go there and find us some ghosts.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

TheWetFish posted:

The Pit

Nebula systems are hell cool and our specific technology focus on massive lasers, excellent armour, good speed and excellent sensors means we are almost tailor made to excel in a nebula. The fact that it likely leads to other nebula systems for us to be awesome in is just gravy

Solid reasoning. Let's jump in The Pit and get digging.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Penguins are cool, but this decided me. To the Pits.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

The Pit.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
THE PIT, THE PIT!

Also, were all goons previously given command positions transferred to the Exploration Fleet? If not, I would like to request immediate transfer.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Graveyard

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Graveyard is great evidence as to why we should all hide in the Sunskimmer.

With that in mind, head to the Pit.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Graveyard, so our missiles and shields work

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The Pit, because who needs missiles when you have spinal mounts :v:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Graveyard

Dead aliens so what?

Also just lol at everyone who expected UT reforms, SSDD. (Same poo poo Different Dictator).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Inglonias posted:

Sounds like somebody likes warcrimes even more than we do! I vote for The Graveyard.

Good point.

A lot more people died DURING Freespace 1 than 2.

Unless you don't consider Vasudans people.

Gonna have to vote The Graveyard We have to learn about the Shivans before we go hunting them in nebulae.

Where is Captain Veloxyll Jr after completing 7+ jumps? Did I make an 8th? Did the paperwork get lost and I still command the Taronga? And completed more jumps?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 2, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Didn't realize we'd started over again or something.

Signing up and Graveyard

It just sounds more exciting and full of potential than being stuck at the bottom of a pit.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 2, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"Started over again"?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oooh, right. The complete and meaningful absence of Cornucopia was a bit too good to be true.

Reading from the start!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 2, 2017

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Graveyard - We need to know who killed the nice spider-penguins and kill them before they kill us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

two_step posted:

Graveyard - We need to know who killed the nice spider-penguins and kill them before they kill us

Maybe the spider-penguins' Jump Pyschos were really really thorough, and they killed themselves.