Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait so has Brietbart now lost their sugar daddy that was keeping them afloat? They lost all of their advertisers and half their traffic since last year so they might be fuuuucked.

Bannon himself can keep it afloat if he wants, he's extremely wealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait so has Brietbart now lost their sugar daddy that was keeping them afloat? They lost all of their advertisers and half their traffic since last year so they might be fuuuucked.

all their traffic was russian bots anyway.

Mercer might be resigning because he has been asked some, uh, uncomfortable questions about that.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lol calling NC solid red, lol talking poo poo about pizza.

If you think Proper Pizza is fast food you probably eat dominioes or drink crazy bread straight out of Pappa Schnatter's twisted dick. Pizza is art, pizza is life.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

bird cooch posted:

Your mask is slipping.

What mask? I've been pretty open about my political leanings.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Maybe they both went to med school? That's the only thing I can think of

You can do that with veterinary school too - University of Pennsylvania, Ross, Western (in California) can see students with debt just from vet school in the 300k+ range - the 4 year cost of attendance of those three schools is 343k, 333k, and 307k respectively. In fact, of the 35 veterinary schools in the US, Caribbean, and Canada that are common to US veterinary students, 14 of them cost 300k+ for four years, and that total isn't accounting for accrued interest.

And then you get out and make 70k a year. Unless you're a horse vet, then you make like 40k.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

gently caress off Mercer, history will remember you as a piece of fascist-enabling poo poo. Too late for boo-hoo-how-could-this-happen crap.

I talked to two British finance professors, who presented a reasonably convincing (though pretty tenuously supported empirically speaking imo) argument, that Mercers biggest, most productive, money-making 'venture/investment'-fund has an astoundingly effective algorithm for predicting tiny market fluctuations, and makes serious bank on that. In essence this algorithm and fund makes more money, the more volatile/unstable markets are. This means that it is literally his econmic interest to have volatility in markets (the more the better) and it's a very short bond-villainesque step to go from just making money of it, to begin creating that volatility yourself. As for example in supporting things like the orange rear end in a top hat for president, or brexit, or spur on various fringe extremist movements, work against civil rights, etc.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

ascii genitals posted:

pizza is life.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not really, he sold his shares, but kept them in the family

Basically, I feel like he is saying "This is getting too politically sensitive for me to continue to handle personally, so I'll let other people in my family do it instead"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, he's hosed. Reminder, he withdrew AFTER his interview with Mueller.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

eyebeem posted:

My wife and I combined have over $650,000 in student loan debt. This is absolutely cheaper.

Not sure how to actually have them "written off" though.

People seem astounded by this much debt but it doesn't sound that insane to me for two people. If your family's earnings are in a certain range you can both make too much to qualify for decent financial aid and be utterly screwed by the loans you end up getting.

A person going to an expensive college could easily rack up $200,000 in debt, especially if they have to spend a little longer in school because of a changed major or something. I assume the rest could be from grad school debt (but I don't know poo poo about grad school).

I mean a sometimes effective solution to this is to look closely at all your college options to try to do all you can to minimize your debt burden even if it means going to a college you don't want etc. but for undergrad at least most people are making these college admissions decisions when they're only 17 and the lure of getting into a prestigious or famous school can be pretty strong. Plus kids can sometimes be pressured pretty strongly by parents and teachers to go to the big name schools as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You have to wonder who is going to replace Clovis, since basically everyone that Trump knows was in on the cheat.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Reading Americans discussing their student loans and their healthcare is loving bonkers

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
LOL does this loving thing really eliminate the medical expenses deduction? These people are monsters. How could anyone possibly support this bill?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

The second account Roger Stone was using after his original account got banned has been shut down as well. Happened earlier today.

https://twitter.com/STONEFLIK

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Doctorates can often cost nothing to 100k, especially in research and science fields. When you see big numbers it usually means medical school, law school or something like that.

If you’re paying for a phd you are doing it wrong

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

You can do that with veterinary school too - University of Pennsylvania, Ross, Western (in California) can see students with debt just from vet school in the 300k+ range - the 4 year cost of attendance of those three schools is 343k, 333k, and 307k respectively. In fact, of the 35 veterinary schools in the US, Caribbean, and Canada that are common to US veterinary students, 14 of them cost 300k+ for four years, and that total isn't accounting for accrued interest.

And then you get out and make 70k a year. Unless you're a horse vet, then you make like 40k.

Unless you specialize. Fiancee just passed her written boards and started final year of her radiology residency. She knows people who make $300k+ doing telerad 4 days a week.

Which is good to hear because she's sitting on a pretty fat loan debt herself, something still well north of $100,000. e: After paying a lot of it off with large gift from her parents or an inheritance from a grandparent or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Casey Finnigan posted:

People seem astounded by this much debt but it doesn't sound that insane to me for two people. If your family's earnings are in a certain range you can both make too much to qualify for decent financial aid and be utterly screwed by the loans you end up getting.

A person going to an expensive college could easily rack up $200,000 in debt, especially if they have to spend a little longer in school because of a changed major or something. I assume the rest could be from grad school debt (but I don't know poo poo about grad school).

I mean a sometimes effective solution to this is to look closely at all your college options to try to do all you can to minimize your debt burden even if it means going to a college you don't want etc. but for undergrad at least most people are making these college admissions decisions when they're only 17 and the lure of getting into a prestigious or famous school can be pretty strong. Plus kids can sometimes be pressured pretty strongly by parents and teachers to go to the big name schools as well.

If you do not qualify for sufficient financial aid to make an expensive school affordable, you should not go to the expensive school, rather than take on debt that you are very likely to only discharge in death.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Goddamn this morning is getting better by leaps and bounds. gently caress that dumb idiot fucker piece of poo poo.

In other news, as the heat on Trump and his supporters builds the office manager at work ordered a Trump mug. I look forward to the day when I no longer have to be around these Trumpfucks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait are they eliminating the student loan interest deduction

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

My fiancé has over $200K in debt from 4 years in private (non state) university and another 4 years of grad school. Granted she gets paid decent money but it’s still half her paycheck in loans every month, and she’s one of the lucky ones.

Student Loan debt is only going to become a bigger issue as our generation gets older and more politically involved. It’s just Republicans don’t give a single gently caress because their base are all 50+ whites people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Reading Americans discussing their student loans and their healthcare is loving bonkers

It really is.

I was basically paid to attend school.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Listening to Paul Ryan and company tout this extra $1200 a year to taxpayers through tax cuts like its life changing. An extra $100 a month. An extra $3 a day. Can someone point out how ridiculously small that is? It's nothing and if that is truly life changing then we have serious problems in the US.

And supposedly the cuts are somehow going to raise wages. How? Why cannot corporations and business pay more instead of the gov inflating pay checks through paltry tax cuts? Like was incentive is there for businesses to pay employees more if the government is just going to cut worker's taxes?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Wait are they eliminating the student loan interest deduction

Yep!

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

cochise posted:

The second account Roger Stone was using after his original account got banned has been shut down as well. Happened earlier today.

now he's gonna double-sue Twitter :ohdear:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Crow Jane posted:

Oh man, we were in a cabin in the middle of the forest and it was magical. I really loved Russia, it's a shame that it's probably a completely different place now :smith:

We have a legit Banya here in Detroit that just reopened after a total reinvention and serious renovations. Been here since 1930. If you ever swing through you should check it out.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rip Testes posted:

Listening to Paul Ryan and company tout this extra $1200 a year to taxpayers through tax cuts like its life changing. An extra $100 a month. An extra $3 a day. Can someone point out how ridiculously small that is? It's nothing and if that is truly life changing then we have serious problems in the US.

I might be able to afford avocado toast everyday again at this rate!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

God forbid we have to pay taxes for healthcare :downs:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

And supposedly the cuts are somehow going to raise wages. How? Why cannot corporations and business pay more instead of the gov inflating pay checks through paltry tax cuts? Like was incentive is there for businesses to pay employees more if the government is just going to cut worker's taxes?

Median household income is $59k, so that $1200 is a 2% or more bump hor half of households. That's more than they'll likely get as a raise this year! :smithicide:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Polling Company is literally a Republican outlet (see the R next to the name)

I did not know this was a thing when I was working on a project with them and then I saw the hilarious bias they put forth in their focus group questions and was like "what the gently caress is this"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

cochise posted:

The one thing that Twitter actually seems to care about and watch for is people sneaking back onto their site on an alternate account after they've been banned.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

The Sean posted:

I might be able to afford avocado toast everyday again at this rate!

Really, what does $3 get you? It's not even a foot long at Subway.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ReidRansom posted:

Unless you specialize. Fiancee just passed her written boards and started final year of her radiology residency. She knows people who make $300k+ doing telerad 4 days a week.

Which is good to hear because she's sitting on a pretty fat loan debt herself, something still well north of $100,000. e: After paying a lot of it off with large gift from her parents or an inheritance from a grandparent or something.

This, incidentally, is a major contributor to the shortage of GPs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Median household income is $59k, so that $1200 is a 2% or more bump hor half of households. That's more than they'll likely get as a raise this year! :smithicide:

My exact situation hahahahahahahahaha

gently caress this tax plan tho

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rip Testes posted:

It's great, I'll be able to afford 4 extra espresso shots in my coffee, which I'll need more and more because we'll all be working 16 hour days until we drop dead

The latter: it's a smokescreen, there is no incentive to pay workers more and wages will continue to decline in terms of real value while the wealthy hoard more money (which their children will be able to receive, tax-free, when the estate tax is gone!)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

The one thing that Twitter actually seems to care about and watch for is people sneaking back onto their site on an alternate account after they've been banned.

Just like Lowtax

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

It is an insane amount of debt. That there are reasons for it doesn't change that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Just like Lowtax

SA probably makes more money than Twitter at this point

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

nah looks like everything's being turned over to his daughter and the racist gravy will keep flowing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

SA probably makes more money than Twitter at this point

any small business does, because it doesn't have enough money to burn if you literally torch everything it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Oh yeah, rads is insane - telerad and ultrasound are two extremely lucrative areas.... where else could you buy a $30k piece of equipment, charge $400 per usage, and having each usage of the machine take you 45 minutes (scan + report time). Basically if you want to make enough money to pay off your students loans (if you're average or higher) without using Public Service Loan Forgiveness (which might be getting the ax...) or REPAYE (or other income based repayment) you need to find a great clinical to own and be able to run effectively (which nobody teaches you in vet school), or you need to specialize. But not all specialties earn fantastic money either!

It's also why several veterinary schools are having issues keeping radiology faculty - they simply cannot pay anywhere near what they could make in private practice.

• Locked thread