Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Plus Bruce is a stubborn idiot who wants to keep it between him and Bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
After a semi-Herculean effort to get through like 100 issues of books that I'd fallen behind on (the actual number is probably more because I had 8 or 9 Marvel titles I was 7-8 issues behind on, 3-4 DC double-shipping titles I was 10 behind on and a bunch more that I was 4-5 issues back on from both DC and other publishers) I managed to wrap by powering through a bunch of the Bat-books. Quick hits and hot takes:

Batman Beyond continues to be underwhelming but not outright bad enough that I want to drop it because Jurgens drops just enough hints of interesting long-term ideas that I want to see where it goes. Also LOL at making the lovely redesigned suit evil because everyone dragged it on the internet.

Batwoman felt kinda like Bennet hastily repurposing a Wolverine pitch that she had rejected. And the prologue for the Colony arc in 'Tec is kinda meh, because we all know it's either an alternate timeline or something will happen to make it not 'really' happen. Renee and Kate's final moments were sweet though. Bennet is pretty invested in that pairing if you've read Bombshells.

Batgirl needs to stop doing villains that are spin-offs of existing ones. Baby Penguin as Nice Guy broflake trying to rule Gotham via gentrification and social media mind control was fine, but a lady Mad Hatter being retconned into Batgirl and Nightwing's past is a bit much.

BoP is cute, but this return for Babs feels like either responding to the backlash about the dude Oracle, or a real long way around to not much advantage. Either way both Batgirl books feel like they liked the basic concept of Burnside and Babs as a more modern young woman, but didn't like ANY of the other stuff, because her supporting cast has been all but ditched, and some of the writing by the main creative teams is such that I'm not even sure if they want readers to know that Frankie knows about Batgirl. The two Catwoman appearances across the two titles was nice, tho.

Gotham Academy wrapped up nicely. Despite the 'see you soon' in the final issue, I doubt the book's back any time soon. But at least they solved the core mystery in a mostly satisfying way and managed to have Batman and Robin appear but not overshadow. The whole '6 families have run Gotham for centuries' thing is always a little uncomfortable for me, but oh well, it's making use of mostly-already-there story elements.

Nightwing continues to be really, really enjoyable and a good throwback to the early days of the first Nightwing solo book without retreading old ground. Blockbuster is smart without being comedically so, he's just a clever thug with delusions of grandeur to cover his insecurities. I like the subplot with Dick's girlfriend and how instead of fridging her, Dick sabotages his own relationship because of his own hang-ups. I'd probably be more into this Spyral story now if I'd read Grayson, but it's a'ight.

'Tec is SO GOOD. It made the AzBats armour into a punch-the-air cool moment. It's doing Anarky as a real anarchist (well, up until he reveals he's going to use sarin gas on all the capitalist overlords or something so Stephanie realises he's a bad guy) and Clayface teaching Cassie acting and literature via Shakespeare is frickin' genius!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Go read Grayson you monster

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Go read Grayson you monster

A lovingly crafted tribute to dick's rear end.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'm so ready for The Ballad of Kite Man to be over, I don't know how much more I can take

Hell yeah :negative:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unless you meant Jokes and Riddles as a whole, that was it for Ballad of Kite Man.
He'll ultimately save Gotham at the end of this storyline, though :)

edit: And be best man at Batman's wedding.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 6, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

A lovingly crafted tribute to dick's rear end.

So basically, knowing that the chicks that rescued Dick and Helena had named his buttcheeks in gym class is about all I need?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

So basically, knowing that the chicks that rescued Dick and Helena had named his buttcheeks in gym class is about all I need?

Hell, even David Bowie-Constantine appreciated the majesty of Dick's rear end in the annual.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Detective Comics #965 preview seems to indicate that Tim Drake absolutely did start as Robin now, and that post-Crisis events happened pretty much exactly as they did before.

If...y'know...that sort of thing matters to anyone. :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Detective Comics #965 preview seems to indicate that Tim Drake absolutely did start as Robin now, and that post-Crisis events happened pretty much exactly as they did before.

If...y'know...that sort of thing matters to anyone. :allears:

Matters to me since he's my favorite DC character.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I know at least one person that matters to

e: well, two now

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

me three!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tim Drake is not my favorite DC character but he is my favorite Robin so yay.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not only that but they brought back the scaled green underoos! And Bruce canonically had a version of the Adam West batsuit at some point.

Tynion needs to be given Morrison style creative freedom and remake the entire bat universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if Identity Crisis still happened or not. Or if it's also going into the weird memory hole of did-but-didn't? Didn't they establish it didn't happen with Elongated Man in Gail Simone's thing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you-know-who's ranting about how awful he was at writing super-cool-guy Jason Todd didn't give it away, JT4 is pretty rad. He also wrote a really fun Wonder Woman story for the Sensation Comics anthology book a while back, which was drawn by Noelle Stevenson, and featured teen Diana owning jerks at DDR.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He also writes The Woods. He's pretty great.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Can we talk about the conclusion of War games or w/e?

Cause I'm confused. Why did Batman try to murder Riddler again? They were both there, just beat them up and take them to bat-guantanamo or regular jail or whatever

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

McCloud posted:

Can we talk about the conclusion of War games or w/e?

Cause I'm confused. Why did Batman try to murder Riddler again? They were both there, just beat them up and take them to bat-guantanamo or regular jail or whatever

Furthermore, if Batman was finally driven to the breaking point of murder, then what's holding back the rest of Gotham? The issue opened with a serious wall of victims, many straight-up murdered with guns. I agree with Riddler, this wasn't a Batman story, but if he's not going to make anything better, then his honeymoon can take place in Convergence for all I care.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We doing spoiler tags till tomorrow? I'll just leave em for the pertinent cliffhanger.

King definitely wanted the weight of Kite Man's tragedy on you by that point with the two interlude issues, so when Riddler is just mad that Joker isn't laughing, and all the sacrifices like lil Charlie Brown (and all the people you see on page two) were beyond pointless, he snaps.

Catwoman appealing to him cause she can brush off the weight of tragedy, suffering and responsibility is interesting, and why it's doomed to fail. I doubt we'll actually get to a wedding before he realizes he can't live with that (but I hope we will :))

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 4, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I think it had more to do with the fact that we had the two personal tales of Kite Man and his son, and Bruce promised Kite Man that the whole ordeal would be worth it. As for the guilt Bruce faced, in one of the earlier stories he mentions by name the people who died on some random day so it wasn't like he didn't care about them and only about Kite Man's son. I figured he found the whole thing with Kite Man's son's death to be terrible and random, and the reasoning behind why the Riddler did it pushed him momentarily over the edge (and edge he was teetering on throughout the entire arc). I wouldn't say it was the one instance that made Batman do what he did, but it was the one instance that broke the camel's back.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
But like, what's the joke? IDGI

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

But like, what's the joke? IDGI

That you paid for this tripe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Considering that the entire point of this story was Batman telling Selina his darkest secret, his lowest moment, his greatest failure, so that she could make an informed decision about spending the rest of her life with him - I have no problem with the way the story ended.

People need to keep in mind that this was an Early Career Batman story and Early Career Batman stories exist so that Batman can gently caress up, and frequently gently caress up bad.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
:shrug: I really liked this story. I thought that the fact that Batman was about to kill the Riddler being the thing that makes Joker laugh again was fitting.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

McCloud posted:

That you paid for this tripe.

Batman was very much worth my time and money; reading your posts only cost me the former, and it was still too steep a price

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

pubic works project posted:

:shrug: I really liked this story. I thought that the fact that Batman was about to kill the Riddler being the thing that makes Joker laugh again was fitting.

So good. I know there was some action in the story, but it was all about the dialogue. Tom King is a master of his craft. Anybody have a picture of him in his underwear? I need a new avatar.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

So good. I know there was some action in the story, but it was all about the dialogue. Tom King is a master of his craft. Anybody have a picture of him in his underwear? I need a new avatar.

Here his is signing Batman's undies. Maybe Photoshop Grant in Batman's place?
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/912683909426622464

Alternatively,
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/904178054968299523

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

I think King is a worthy replacement.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Autism Sneaks posted:

Batman was very much worth my time and money; reading your posts only cost me the former, and it was still too steep a price

Well I'm happy you got your moneys worth, friend.

To be fair, I am a bit excited for the Bat-Selina thing (even though the bat/cat nicknames are stupid as all hell) so I'll forgive all of the other missteps of this run if their relationship goes the way of Lois & Clark.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

if their relationship goes the way of Lois & Clark.

Nobody can seriously be expecting this, right?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nobody can seriously be expecting this, right?

You mean they actually get married and be in a slightly dysfunctional but still happy relationship and have it stick, and not have it broken up a la OMD?

I dunno, I'd say it's about 50/50 odds

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How important are the Nightwing issues to the Monster Men crossover?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't recall any chapter not progressing the story.

e: For some Batman thread content, Joelle Jones is killing it. I'll be bummed if Finch returns.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 2, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rightio. I'm reading it all in trade (mostly the big hardcover ones) and was trying to work out what I needed to get.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The weeks Batman moved the plot... incrementally, but King really nails down the interaction between Robin and Nightwing. Best Batman and Robin duo ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rightio. I'm reading it all in trade (mostly the big hardcover ones) and was trying to work out what I needed to get.

Isn't Night of the Monster Men it's own trade?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Yes I believe so or at least it was when I downloaded it through Hoopla.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah.

The softcover trades skip over the Monster Men issues (so Batman goes 1-6 then 9-15, and Detective goes 934-940 then 943-949), so if you get them and the Monster Men trade you're sorted. The hardcovers include the Monster Men issues but only from their own title, so I was wondering what I needed to get in addition to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ah. That's kind of lovely. It's a fun story, but you don't have to feel like you're missing anything huge if you skip it. Kind of like Morrison's Batman and the Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul crossover.

• Locked thread