Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's adorable that half the pawn shop dialogue is devoted to making fun of infuriating things in the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I also enjoy talking to the counter in the pawn shop. "The counter does not counter." This game is perhaps second only to the later works of Al Lowe in cramming humorous dialogue into the most absurd contexts. But that's in the future of this LP.

I've never heard of a special death at the end of the game for failing to introduce yourself at the castle. It seems a very un-KQVI thing to do, and the only character I can think of that you might be talking about has different dialogue if he's never met you, but with the same result. There are a few items you might be missing at the end of the game, but I don't think any actions other than those that give you those items would be mandatory at that stage.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Neither have I, but then it never would've occurred to me not to go to the castle in the first place. It makes perfect narrative sense to go there early.

Incidentally, "Abdul Alhazred" is the name of the author of the Necronomicon in the Lovecraft universe. In case the fact that the guy's a fictional vizier didn't already make it obvious he's up to no good. This was a reference I didn't catch when I played the games, only much later when I watched some LPs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Honestly, just through the course of playing the game countless times over the years, I've messed up in almost every possible way unintentionally. As such, a lot of my KQ6 knowledge is half remembered stuff from those fuckups. So it's completely possible that I'm misremembering something, or had forgotten an item. :shrug:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'll bet that bear makes for a good bouncer; look at the smug fucker, showing the goods off

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's adorable that half the pawn shop dialogue is devoted to making fun of infuriating things in the previous games.

My thoughts exactly. I like how most of them are about KQV.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Oh hey, guess what i found as I was cleaning up just now:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nidoking posted:

I've never heard of a special death at the end of the game for failing to introduce yourself at the castle. It seems a very un-KQVI thing to do, and the only character I can think of that you might be talking about has different dialogue if he's never met you, but with the same result.
Ditto. You're not even introduced to that character in the castle.

You do get an entirely different set of "is this the Land of the Green Isles" dialogues depending on which character you talk to first.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Haha no wonder this game's the better one of the whole series, based on the items in that pawn shop they might well have actually paid attention to what the hell they were doing.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Haha no wonder this game's the better one of the whole series, based on the items in that pawn shop they might well have actually paid attention to what the hell they were doing.

in a previous game, it would only be possible to choose one of those four items. you'd choose one and use it for a few different puzzles, but it would turn out at the very end that was the wrong choice and you're a DMW from the start of the game

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Xander77 posted:

Ditto. You're not even introduced to that character in the castle.

You're thinking of a different character.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Yeah, I think that DoubleNegative might be talking about Captain Saladin.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

grandalt posted:

I'm guessing Alexander didn't listen much to Graham when they got back to normal size. She did say that Abdul and Mordack were friends. Through it would have been interesting if Cassima had agreed to marry Mordack, because then there would likely be a showdown between those two villains.

Abdul couldn't care less if Mordack married Cassima, her being out of the way works just as well for his purposes. He just wants to rule and her return wrecks that, marrying her is his only option to stay in power.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
One of the things I remember most about VI is that Abdul is a genuine rear end in a top hat and he fights to the end. If writing a good villain means the viewer richly wanting to see his head staved in by the end, mission accomplished.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hyphz posted:

One of the things I remember most about VI is that Abdul is a genuine rear end in a top hat and he fights to the end. If writing a good villain means the viewer richly wanting to see his head staved in by the end, mission accomplished.

This game has so much great writing, and it shines through in the characters. Abdul, Hakim, Saladin, and a whole bunch of people we have yet to meet are all really well-developed.

edit: I don't know that I like these character portraits better than the ones on the original version, though. Those were low-detailed but they also don't have those weird backgrounds. For example, this was Hakim:

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 2, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I grew up with the DOS version of KQ6 so I'm more used to the low-res character portraits.

Then again, Graham's character portrait in the DOS version looks more like his King's Quest V portrait. The Windows version makes him look like a damned Thunderbirds reject.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prop Wash posted:

edit: I don't know that I like these character portraits better than the ones on the original version, though.
Where are those portraits from, anyways? I've played several different versions of KQ6 over the years, and never encountered them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Where are those portraits from, anyways? I've played several different versions of KQ6 over the years, and never encountered them.

The DOS and Windows ports have two different portrait styles. IIRC there's a way to select which one you get if you're playing through ScummVM, but I don't remember how at the moment.

Here's a side-by-side comparison that I stole from Reddit.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Gotta say, really prefer the DOS portraits. You can tell they were more practiced at making the lower-res stuff look better.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

PurpleXVI posted:

The fan remake of King's Quest II does something similar with the town library.

I agree with what other folks have said about the quality of this game's writing. Without a doubt, this is the high point of the series. Earlier in the thread, I said that the remake of King's Quest II made me feel as though I'd played a wonderful movie. I felt the same way about King's Quest VI as the credits were rolling.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 2, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I grew up with the Windows portraits and I much prefer those.

I'll say it again, KQ6 isn't just my favorite game in the series, it's my favorite game of all time, narrowly beating out the likes of Morrowind, Chrono Trigger, and Undertale.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, so the Bosco gag from Bright Side of the Moon was a tribute?

Well, it's probably not an uncommon thing to want from adventure games.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

OAquinas posted:

Gotta say, really prefer the DOS portraits. You can tell they were more practiced at making the lower-res stuff look better.

Some of the high-res portraits look better than others and are totally fine, but for Alexander in particular I think the DOS portrait is much better.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Walrus Pete posted:

Some of the high-res portraits look better than others and are totally fine, but for Alexander in particular I think the DOS portrait is much better.

Yeah, his portrait looks like Napoleon Dynamite did a drawing of James Van Der Beek.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

His windows portrait is odd - his head looks too narrow and too tall, almost frankenstein-ish

Bregor
May 31, 2013

DOS portraits forever! I thought the ones being used in the LP looked weird, couldn't put it together until the comparison shot.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Informal poll while I type up the next update. This will affect something a tiny bit next week.

Do you prefer...

Alice in Wonderland
Classical Mythology
Dense Forests

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Alice in Wonderland, since that part always stuck with me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Classical Mythology

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I know exactly what's implied here, so let's go with Classical Mythology just to get that out of the way early.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Classical mythology!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Alice in Wonderland

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Hahaha. I can see where this poll is going.

Alice in Wonderland.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Dense forests, to be contrarian.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Classical mythology, personally. Alice in Wonderland is something I can only read when I'm in the right mood and Dense Forests just don't offer as much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Dense Forests

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Classical mythology is filled with amazing and hosed up things, let's investigate those.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Those are all boring, go swimming instead. I'm sure the water's fine and has definitely calmed down after that incident on the beach.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Fan of the Classics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dense Forests

• Locked thread