Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

drgitlin posted:

TBH if I could get our co-op board to mandate that everyone had to use the same (not ugly) curtains I’d be over the moon. Co-ops and HOAs get a bad rap on here but they can be a force for good.

3 olives parachute account spotted.

How do you feel about children playing on playground equipment?

What about Christmas wreaths on apartment doors?

Do you have a keurig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Atticus_1354 posted:

What type of curtains are so bad that you feel the need to have a rule outlawing them and why don't you just not look at them instead?

There are a bunch of barrel-roofed townhouses with floor-to-ceiling windows on the top floors (it’s a mid-century development designed by Charles Goodman). Some neighbors have just hung sheets across the lower halves of their windows, it looks absolutely loving hideous. Why would you live in an awesome architectural design if you’re only going to gently caress it up by draping a sheet across it? Just go live in a normal house at that point.

Anyway I wouldn’t worry about them, I have had enough experience being on committees in the past that I’d rather slit my own wrists than serve on another board. And this place has so many old fogies it was a multi-year fight just to get solar panels installed on the flat roofed bits.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

3 olives parachute account spotted.

How do you feel about children playing on playground equipment?

What about Christmas wreaths on apartment doors?

Do you have a keurig?

That’s what it’s there for.

Fine as long as they come down on January 6th and not some time in April.

Nope.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

peanut posted:

tell me more about that muffin monster

There’s one at the county jail, the wastewater department made them install it or pay for cleaning and unfucking of pipes since inmates flush everything. So now, if you flush your entire jumpsuit down the drain it gets chopped up into tiny bits and nothing clogs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

tell me more about that muffin monster

The second video is better but I like the intro on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wQfWsexv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kh9rELBpmo

What were these guys on? :2bong::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdZkSdNKSM

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Collateral Damage posted:

Every time I read about HOAs I'm glad they don't really exist here.

HOAs and easements are the very first thing I ask about on any house I look at, because gently caress both of them with a red hot poker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Fine as long as they come down on January 6th and not some time in April.

Get hosed; Knut's day isn't until the 13th. You're not taking my decorations before Christmas Peace ends.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Russian Orthodox Christmas doesn't happen until January :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What about people who start putting up their christmas decorations in november? I hate that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Facebook Aunt posted:

What about people who start putting up their christmas decorations in november? I hate that.

They should be forced to relocate to a concentration camp HOA neighborhood

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a pop-up store here that only sells christmas decorations and other christmas stuff.

It opened in mid October.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a pop-up store here that only sells christmas decorations and other christmas stuff.

It opened in mid October.

I noticed the first Christmas store decorations on September 21 this year.

Just so we’re clear: it was still Summer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nope. Decorations go up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Liquid Communism posted:

HOAs and easements are the very first thing I ask about on any house I look at, because gently caress both of them with a red hot poker.

:yeah:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I noticed the first Christmas store decorations on September 21 this year.

Just so we’re clear: it was still Summer.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Correct.

Pre stringing outdoor lights if you've got good weather but not turning them on yet is also acceptable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

I passed on two properties because they were in an HOA.

I love where I live know, and I find the lack of HOA leads to an honest to god diverse neighborhood which is awesome and good.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They don't *have* to, but anytime after Thanksgiving is perfectly acceptable for Christmas decorations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

drgitlin posted:

There are a bunch of barrel-roofed townhouses with floor-to-ceiling windows on the top floors (it’s a mid-century development designed by Charles Goodman). Some neighbors have just hung sheets across the lower halves of their windows, it looks absolutely loving hideous. Why would you live in an awesome architectural design if you’re only going to gently caress it up by draping a sheet across it? Just go live in a normal house at that point.

Whhhhoooooo carrrreeeessssss

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

Whhhhoooooo carrrreeeessssss

The same people who banned rack-drying clothes on balconies at a place I lived, because "technically the balconies aren't owned by the apartments" and I guess it's more important to appease the aesthetics of people who work there than the needs of the people who live there.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I guess I lucked out with my HOA. Dues are basically $100 a year and it basically pays for trash service. Only time I ever hear from them are the newsletter they send out every once in a while.

I've always been wary of HOAs because of my amateur radio hobby, but my wire antenna has been up for over a year and I haven't heard a peep, except from my next door neighbor. He thought it was neat. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I love where I live know, and I find the lack of HOA leads to an honest to god diverse neighborhood which is awesome and good.

This has been my experience as well. I would honestly prefer to live somewhere where the neighbors can put cars up on blocks or plant veggies in their front yard, rather than somewhere where the houses are all painted the same set of 4 variations on beige, and every yard has the same combination of grass, shrubs, and one small tree.

I'm sure HOAs can be good, especially if you aren't interested in caring for the exterior of your house, but if you buy into an HOA, you're ceding power to an authority that can be unbelievably petty, and pretty much the only ways to fix it are either to leave, or to descend into neighborhood politics

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like someone needs a Muffin Monster™

I always smile when I see this poo poo or that youtube video of them shredding everything in one of their grinders. My dad has worked at JWC as an engineer for forever.

The place I live in has an HOA and it is insanely expensive for what we have as far as common grounds gardening (and water and trash). Its horrible and I can't wait to leave it. At least now I'm an adult and the "no playing outside" doesn't gently caress me over nearly as bad as it would if I were still a kid living here.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Good Dog posted:

The place I live in has an HOA and it is insanely expensive for what we have as far as common grounds gardening (and water and trash). Its horrible and I can't wait to leave it. At least now I'm an adult and the "no playing outside" doesn't gently caress me over nearly as bad as it would if I were still a kid living here.

:wtc:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Who wants a fun HOA story? In the state of Florida, ponds are very common to control storm water runoff, and also just to look nice and have fish and wildlife. Ponds in housing developments are maintained by the HOA almost without exception.

Except in my aunt and uncle's community! A few years ago, a pond was repaired out front of a neighboring community. It's right out front, two houses back up to it. My aunt and uncle were sick of living up north, and they found a house for sale that they loved, just down the road from us, in that community, on that pond. They love their pond, and love to watch the ducks and water birds and feed the fish and turtles.

Then hurricane irma blows through, and the pond breaks. How do you break a pond? Aparently, it had been dug and laid incorrectly, with an insufficient retaining wall. It all drained into the woods thankfully, but my aunt and uncle are out a pond. Then the HOA fires back that the pond had been repaired by the former homeowner, who paid like 20 grand to get it fixed, and it's now their responsibility to get it fixed again.

This is of course utter bullshit. Aunt and uncle call out several pond repaid guys (including the dudes who 'fixed' it for the last homeowner, and swear up and down that it was done to code), and then they get the guy who's in good with the Saint John's Riverkeepers, who do a lot with the water management in the area (a big deal). Good pond guy is baffled by the HOA, and goes to the Riverkeepers, and turns out, the Riverkeepers go, "Oh, yeah. THAT fuckin HOA. They pulling this poo poo again?" So the Riverkeepers are already working on litigation against the HOA. They tell my aunt and uncle to hold fast, and don't give the HOA a dime. Turns out the pond was never up to code, the HOA is full of poo poo, and are going to be IN deep poo poo because water management is a BIG DEAL in an area where there's a pond or watershed every block.

So yeah. gently caress that HOA.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
HOAs are for trashy people who don't want to be seen as trashy who know their neighbors are, like them, trashy people living beyond their means in pine boxes pooped out by a giant Toll Brothers factory, where everything will go to seed immediately without the iron fist of authoritarian rule.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Children should be neither seen nor heard.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I work in (the office side of) remodeling and I truly hate having to tell people "You like these nice French-looking sliding doors? Tough poo poo, right over here is what your HOA or condo association requires. You want dual-color so you can match your white living room and still match your requirement of bronze exterior? Pay out the rear end for vinyl* so you can have white inbound, bronze outbound!" Repeat ad nauseam.

I can't stand condo commandos one bit. It's a way for retired old farts to feel important again when they slam their hammer of stupidity on people's desires. I get the PURPOSE of them, I just think 95% overstep that.

* because building-grade plastic is more expensive than aluminum, I guess?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like the HOA I live in. No one gives a poo poo about anything. It's $150/year and they cut the grass and leave everyone alone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Variable 5 posted:

Children should be neither seen nor heard.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I hate that attitude.

I don't have kids and probably never will, but I don't *hate* them. When I was getting my fence repaired, I had to put some chicken wire up to keep my dogs on the property. My dogs formed a bromance with the kids next door. Now the fence is replaced the kids constantly, on purpose/accident get balls in my yard when the dogs are out.

Of course, I told them they were more than welcome if their parents were cool, but not to be too rough with the little one and stay cautious of big one because it's a 100lbs of clumsy dog that knocks me over at times. I meant that as "go through the gate and make sure it stays latched". Those little shits took it as "climb over newly repaired fence and drop into yard".

Which is fine. Because they're kids. And they do kid things. If at times they get a little loud or annoying, that's fine too. Because they're kids.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 2, 2017

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Where I live I'm governed by 2 HOA's- one for the unincorporated city I live in, and one for the townhouse neighborhood I live in (for reference, this is Reston VA in Fairfax County, which is the second richest county in the US).

The Reston HOA is great (albeit they have a pretty incompetent board, but what HOA board of directors isn't incompetent?)- they maintain miles and miles and miles of walking trails, seven community pools, tennis courts, rec areas, etc etc etc. The most "intrusive" thing that they do is forbid anyone from cutting ANY tree unless and until they've had the tree assessed by an arborist and a member of the HOA board- which I agree with, as it keeps people from doing things like buying lots with older houses, clearing the entire lot, and then building some ugly rear end McMansion on it and loving up the watersheds. They're also actively fighting against raising the population density of Reston and keeping it from turning into aforementioned McMansion and condo heavy sprawl like the rest of Fairfax county.

My townhouse HOA is half-chill, but they do stupid poo poo like send me a citation for the shovel I keep in front of my house for mucking out the sidewalk whenever it floods from rain... because they haven't fixed the sidewalk that floods when it rains EVEN THOUGH they specifically went through and fixed the sidewalks in the entire neighborhood a couple years back... but not the one that always floods when it rains.

The main issue with HOA's is when they're started to put some teeth to dog whistle racism and/or by meddling old busybodies who think mayonnaise is too spicy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

brugroffil posted:

Pre stringing outdoor lights if you've got good weather but not turning them on yet is also acceptable.

I'm amazed at this point that every store that sells holiday decorations doesn't have controllable RGB LEDs for sale in a style that can be installed stealthily along the edges of a house. I can buy strips on Amazon that would be basically invisible from more than a few feet away unless turned on.

With something like that you could potentially install it once and just leave it between holidays.

As far as HOAs go the two times I've lived under the control of one they've given me poo poo about not having the right mailbox. In both cases the mailbox in question was a normal, good looking mailbox which had been installed at that house since day one as far as I was aware. In at least one of the cases the required mailbox happened to be built by a local company owned by a friend of someone on the HOA board, the other one wasn't as corrupt and just wanted a different model that was sold at most home improvement stores.

In both cases it would have been legally possible for a refusal to submit to their mailbox rule to result in loss of property. That's loving absurd no matter what you think about your neighbors possibly letting their grass grow too long.

tl;dr: gently caress HOAs

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My dad got annoyed at the HOA (well, condo association), so he took over leadership for a year and streamlined everything. Never underestimate the power of an impatient retired accounting teacher.

Now all they do is pay dues for snow removal, landscaping, and basic repairs and have a vague "decorum" policy for outside decorations that's not hard to follow. This way, my mom gets to hang her million bells in the summer and her Xmas wreath in the winter and nobody can tell her otherwise.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

D34THROW posted:

I work in (the office side of) remodeling and I truly hate having to tell people "You like these nice French-looking sliding doors? Tough poo poo, right over here is what your HOA or condo association requires. You want dual-color so you can match your white living room and still match your requirement of bronze exterior? Pay out the rear end for vinyl* so you can have white inbound, bronze outbound!" Repeat ad nauseam.
.... whoa, I think I agree with an HOA about door color for once. On a house, gently caress anyone who dictates what color a door should be, but in a condo hallway? I dunno man, every door being the same color sorta makes sense.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Slugworth posted:

.... whoa, I think I agree with an HOA about door color for once. On a house, gently caress anyone who dictates what color a door should be, but in a condo hallway? I dunno man, every door being the same color sorta makes sense.

i dunno friend, its a lot easier to say "the door with the giant purple penis on it"

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

wolrah posted:

your neighbors possibly letting their grass grow too long.

Oh, this reminds me of my twat of a neighbor.

I have three small kids and we played out on the porch all day during most of the summer. My neighbor to the right (as you face the house) had a fence put in A FOOT BACK from the property line.

Do you think her lawn guys mow that extra bit of grass? No, they let it get wild and overgrown and a habitat for the black racer that likes to hang out between those houses. It got nearly a foot and a half high before our lawn guys decided gently caress it, they'd cut that too so my kids could play in the yard.

The ONLY time I wished for an HOA was when I saw the snake slithering around there when my kids wanted to play in the yard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shrug. I have fond memories loving with snakes when I was growing up in Chicago.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Slugworth posted:

Not all condos are apartment styled. I life in a condo that's basically a detached house.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
same. and black racers arepretty darn harmless

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Black racers are like, sub-squirrel levels of dangerous, unless there is some Australian deathsnake by the same name or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

Why the gently caress does this make more sense than every door in a neighborhood of identical houses?

Are you spending a lot of time in the hallway? I honestly can't imagine why you'd care unless it was the aforementioned big purple dick or something.