Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

have you seen the trailers for the new magic school bus? It honestly looks awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiTW2zw80c

Why does Sis Frizzle have such luxurious hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Loucks posted:

Are vegans narrativists?

Only the ones that loudly make sure that everyone knows they are a vegan.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I somehow stumbled into having the top floor of a huge house built in the 1860s in a cool, walkable neighborhood for 900 a month (really 450 since my boyfriend and I split it). There's no way a mortgage in my area would be as cheap

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Glazier posted:

Should be a little bit of red in CT for Frank Pepe's

This, and Randy's Wooster Street.

EDIT: Sorry for adding to this derail. I just know sweet gently caress-all about taxes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mcmagic posted:

I actually think this is fine public policy but 1) it can't possibly save much money and 2) democrats should DEFINITELY run on Republicans wanting to cut 401k benefits.

lol no it's not it's terrible. it's cutting long-term tax revenue for short term gains and kneecapping one of the last ways what little middle class we had left to save for retirement. all so wealthy people can shovel more money to their kids. it's bullshit.

i want to be totally clear: people paid taxes on 401ks. it was just a matter of paying it later when there was more money rather than paying it up front. this is a transfer to the wealthy- plain and simple

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Loucks posted:

All pizza is pretty gross unless you hate yourself. It's essentially just a slab of cheese with some bread and sauce slapped on it. Might as well just make an open-faced lard sandwich and squirt some ketchup on it.

Tomato sauce is really not like ketchup.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kavros posted:

I love Detroit Pizza, despite the fact that the idea of "giving someone a detroit pizza" got me banned from club penguin.

I eat Little Caesar's "Detroit style" deep dish pizza without guilt. :colbert:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My grandfather once ate a pizza while serving in WWII.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Peven Stan posted:

According to PJ even North Koreans are narrativists.

PJ is a textbook example of bad social science

I'm not sure a Maduro apologist gets to call anyone out on bad social science, pal

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deteriorata posted:

Having a mortgage paid off is actually really cool. Monthly housing costs are now just taxes and insurance.

I take it you don't live in a state with ~3% property tax and expensive homeowners insurance. It's still more than $1k month in a bunch of states for taxes & insurance.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Loucks posted:

All pizza is pretty gross unless you hate yourself. It's essentially just a slab of cheese with some bread and sauce slapped on it. Might as well just make an open-faced lard sandwich and squirt some ketchup on it.

sir this is america

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Deified Data posted:

I'm really conflicted. Like, this guy absolutely can't win, can he? Is it insane of me to think that a republican winning for being a republican is better than democrats accepting the shifted overton window and just running as republicans from now on? Democrats have to learn that they can't win this way and I don't know how to impart that lesson apart from losing. Even then, maybe they weren't conservative enough.

Yeah, that's pretty short sighted of you, especially when lost elections generally don't teach the lesson you want.

Even with the stupid idiot thing northam said he still represents a totally different philosophy than his racist rear end opponent and will make a tremendous amount of difference in the lives of ordinary people here. How you can say that centrists should lose to Republicans thus bringing about the proper ascension of leftism after 2016 boggles the mind.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 2, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rip Testes posted:

And supposedly the cuts are somehow going to raise wages. How? Why cannot corporations and business pay more instead of the gov inflating pay checks through paltry tax cuts? Like was incentive is there for businesses to pay employees more if the government is just going to cut worker's taxes?

it won't and they know it. profits are already at record highs. if anything this incentivizes them to funnel even *more* money out because they're now even less dis-incentivized towards doing it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Suburbs are terrible for cities and the environment. Just live in a condo and lobby your local government for good zoning and city planning.

Oh, what's that? You can hear your neighbours sometimes?! Yeah, better waste tons of resources so that you can live on a lovely lot in the burbs.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

I somehow stumbled into having the top floor of a huge house built in the 1860s in a cool, walkable neighborhood for 900 a month (really 450 since my boyfriend and I split it). There's no way a mortgage in my area would be as cheap

The only reason my now wife and I bought a house was because, broke as we were, in late 2009 buying a house was waaaaay cheaper than renting. Our mortgage in a cool part of town in an old American 4-square is still < $500. No WAY we could sell with the housing market now, the whole area has swung back the other way so far we'd have to move out of town to buy again.

Pizza Edit: There are actually a couple good 'za joints around also.

Trump Edit: Schadenfreude has been sustaining us quite well. I'm non-plussed about the tax plan, despite probably getting some more money back in taxes.

Coelacanthian fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 2, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Did this huge hatchet piece on Betsy Devos get posted?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/01/betsy-devos-secretary-education-profile-2017-215768

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just to double back a bit

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926053970535243777

This is a dogwhistle for "we should make it easier to black site people" right

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Bought a house this year and my mortgage is still cheaper than what I would have to pay for if I were to rent. Too many apartments have paperthin walls and cheap flooring, and amenities get too expensive, not to mention if you have a crazy landlord.

Last apartment I lived in was a small unit, 4 units on first floor and 4 on top. Landlord would not allow us to use the exterior hose hookup to wash our cars since she was worried that the surrounding units would use it, despite us being far away from the other apartments in the complex.

Not to mention never enough parking, no privacy, no central air, it was crap.

See, I like the sound of that? But there’s wildly varying advice on whether renting is a better deal than buying. Especially when mortgage < monthly rent. Boston in particular is crazy for this. Hard to justify a 1br apartment for $1700/mo in comparison to houses with mortgages like $1100~1400.

It’s hard to know what the right thing to do is. The only thing I know for sure is not to get a house if you’re not sure you’ll stay in the area for another 5~10+ years, which in your mid to late 20s is a really tough call.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

See, I like the sound of that? But there’s wildly varying advice on whether renting is a better deal than buying. Especially when mortgage < monthly rent. Boston in particular is crazy for this. Hard to justify a 1br apartment for $1700/mo in comparison to houses with mortgages like $1100~1400.

It’s hard to know what the right thing to do is. The only thing I know for sure is not to get a house if you’re not sure you’ll stay in the area for another 5~10+ years, which in your mid to late 20s is a really tough call.

Entitled yuppie solution: Buy that drat house because your next relocation offer is going to include an option to pay all of your realtor and closing costs to sell it anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Twerk from Home posted:

Entitled yuppie solution: Buy that drat house because your next relocation offer is going to include an option to pay all of your realtor and closing costs to sell it anyway.

:lol: I would never count on that happening. Depending on the good graces of an employer is a great way to get buttfucked.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This story is nuts. Trump made a loving bartender the head of congressional relations for HUD

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.48b713adfef5

WaPo posted:

The other huge scandal Mueller brought to light this week

By Dana Milbank Opinion writer November 1 at 9:34 PM

Robert Mueller brought to light a huge scandal this week, and it has nothing to do with Russia.

He has introduced the world to Sam Clovis.

Clovis, we now know, was the Trump campaign official who oversaw George Papadopoulos and encouraged his efforts to meet with Russian officials. But what’s more interesting than what Clovis is is what Clovis isn’t.

For those who had not heard of Clovis before (which is pretty much everybody), he has been nominated to be the chief scientist at the Agriculture Department, a position that by law must go to “distinguished scientists,” even though he is, well, not a scientist. He is a talk-radio host, economics professor (though not actually an economist, either) and, most importantly, a Trump campaign adviser.

President Trump promised to “hire the best people.” And, as scientists go, Clovis is an excellent talk-show host. Among his scientific breakthroughs: being “extremely skeptical” of climate change, calling homosexuality “a choice,” suggesting gay rights would lead to legalized pedophilia, pushing the Obama birther allegation, and calling Eric Holder a “racist bigot” and Tom Perez a “racist Latino.”

Trump may want “extreme vetting” of immigrants, but he’s rather more lenient with his appointees. On Wednesday, he named Robin Bernstein to be ambassador to the Dominican Republic. Bernstein speaks only “basic Spanish” (it’s so hard to find Americans who speak Spanish), but she does have this — membership at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club.

A group called American Oversight had the foresight to make records requests for résumés of those hired by the Trump administration, and the group searched for those who worked on the Trump campaign. Among the “best” Trump hires American Oversight found:

Sid Bowdidge, assistant to the secretary of energy for energy efficiency and renewable energy. Before working for the Trump campaign, Bowdidge, from 2013 to 2015, was manager of the Meineke Car Care branch in Seabrook, N.H. He previously was service and branch manager for tire shops. I don’t know what qualified Bowdidge for his position, but I do know this: He is not going to pay a lot for that muffler. (He had to hit the road, losing his job after it was discovered he had called Muslims “maggots.”)

Victoria Barton, congressional relations for Regions II, V and VI, Department of Housing and Urban Development. Prior to working for the Trump campaign, Barton was an office manager and, between 2013 and 2015, a “bartender/bar manager.” The expertise in housing policy possessed by Barton is no doubt invaluable to HUD Secretary Ben Carson, a retired brain surgeon.

Christopher Hagan, a confidential assistant at the Agriculture Department. Before working on the Trump campaign, he was, between 2009 and 2015, a “cabana attendant” at Westchester Country Club in Rye, N.Y. According to his résumé, he “identified and addressed customer’s needs in a timely and orderly manner.” This is important, because you never know when somebody at the USDA is going to need a towel.

Nick Brusky, also a confidential assistant at the USDA. The Trump campaign worker previously drove a truck. He was a trustee in Butler Township, Ohio, at the same time, and, as Politico noted, his résumé lists coursework but no degree.

David Matthews, yet another confidential assistant at the Agriculture Department, developed scented candles while also serving as a “legal receptionist” before joining the Trump campaign.

Some of the other “best” people Trump has hired are well known. Lynne Patton, HUD regional administrator, previously arranged Trump golf tournaments and arranged Eric Trump’s wedding, among other things. Callista Gingrich, just confirmed as ambassador to the Vatican, prepared for this by writing children’s books, singing in a church choir — and being married to Trump ally Newt Gingrich.

Others now in high office are less known: an office page, the author of an anti-Clinton book, a Christian-school librarian, a couple of real estate brokers and a landscaper. Many don’t appear to meet the educational qualifications for their positions. But they did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm pretty sure it's an excuse for why we're not going to actually do his stupid initial reaction.

Pollyanna posted:

You'll mostly just lose the closing costs if that happens. You will have made a bet and lost, but you haven't lost the value of a house or anything. It's OK to take low-to-medium risks sometimes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Deteriorata posted:

Having a mortgage paid off is actually really cool. Monthly housing costs are now just taxes and insurance.

Where I live, a $265,000 2/1 house has monthly payments of $650 (tax + insurance).

I can rent one of the rooms in that same house for about $750. And I don't have to care about having to repair poo poo that breaks, or paying for lawn care, inspections, etc. etc.

So yeah, like I said, it depends on where you live, and how much rent is in relation to property prices, taxes and insurance.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If by dogwhistle you mean foghorn, then yes.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/926128498909040640
Trump is a snake, who knew? Everybody. Everybody knew, you loving assholes.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

This story is nuts. Trump made a loving bartender the head of congressional relations for HUD

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.48b713adfef5

It certainly reminds me of the Bush administration putting 22 year old Liberty Grads in charge of the Iraqi civil service, though in this case, it's probably more intentional sabotage than paranoid hubris.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I dunno if it's even a dogwhistle, as he has made it very clear that he wants to destroy civil liberties. But more than that, it's just making excuses for why his DoJ didn't take his tweets seriously.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Did anybody's grandpa eat pizza in WWII?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pollyanna posted:

There's no right answer. Live where you want to live, ultimately. Apartment living was miserable for me. Friends of mine however, love not having to worry about maintenance costs/time in their apartments and for whatever reason don't mind living in a box full of assholes. Financially, in most areas, the choice is probably a wash either way. Mortgage might be cheaper in areas, but an apartment dweller will never have to drop 15k on a new driveway.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Sloober posted:

sir this is america

Does this mean I should Kickstart my lard sandwich shop? I’m way less racist than Doobie.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Tomato sauce is really not like ketchup.

Sugary red goop? Sounds like most pizza sauce to me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cru Jones posted:

Did anybody's grandpa eat pizza in WWII?

The Italian campaign...?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
People talking about buying being cheaper than renting is always a little confusing to me. I guess maybe if you're comparing buying in the suburbs vs renting in the city? Just buying a condo (never mind a house) in my neighborhood in Denver would likely be at least twice as expensive as renting.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, it's a good one. Read it folks!

Wouldn't be surprised if she resigns sooner rather than later.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

In any case, JCT appears to think that this provision wouldn't lead to too much tax avoidance. Score is only $448B, which is on the low side

It's just like 5 times the combined budget of NASA and SNAP, not a big deal guys

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

theflyingorc posted:

You'll mostly just lose the closing costs if that happens. You will have made a bet and lost, but you haven't lost the value of a house or anything. It's OK to take low-to-medium risks sometimes.

I still don’t get it, but I suppose it’s something I need to learn more about. Either way, I don’t feel comfortable buying property until after the bubble pops.

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/926128498909040640
Trump is a snake, who knew? Everybody. Everybody knew, you loving assholes.

The sooner Democrats learn that compromise with these ghouls is fruitless, the better. Not crossing my fingers, though.

enraged_camel posted:

Where I live, a $265,000 2/1 house has monthly payments of $650 (tax + insurance).

I can rent one of the rooms in that same house for about $750. And I don't have to care about having to repair poo poo that breaks, or paying for lawn care, inspections, etc. etc.

So yeah, like I said, it depends on where you live, and how much rent is in relation to property prices, taxes and insurance.

When a 1br rents for something ridiculous like $1700 at the lowest for dingy pieces of crap, and $2200+ for anything on the level of an actual house, then a mortgage of $650 starts to look a lot nicer.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Bannon himself can keep it afloat if he wants, he's extremely wealthy

I don't think WoW gold can be used directly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

what if I really like potatoes

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you buy a house and end up moving you can always hold the house out for rent. If you hire a management company it's generally not much hassle. As long as you can wind up cash flow neutral (or, ideally, cash flow positive) you get the appreciation on the house "for free." Plus, with depreciation expense, you can often find yourself cash flow positive but with a deductible loss for taxes. Houses are not vehicle for speculation, and it's a serious choice you need to strongly consider before buying, but anyone telling you categorically that homeownership is a bad choice is in fact an idiot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

PS. here is a "pizza" I got in the netherlands one week ago today. A pizza made on a sub roll with a chicken sausage "hotdog" in it and this was treated as a normal thing sold commonly people should eat.

That is a pizza baguette. I'm certain it was sold to you under that very name. Please don't besmirch the name of my country by insinuating otherwise, we are a nation that is very proud of our unhealthy junk-food creations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Noctone posted:

People talking about buying being cheaper than renting is always a little confusing to me. I guess maybe if you're comparing buying in the suburbs vs renting in the city? Just buying a condo (never mind a house) in my neighborhood in Denver would likely be at least twice as expensive as renting.

Buying is way cheaper than renting if you roll the dice and get lucky and the property appreciates faster than inflation. After factoring in appreciation that I realized when I sold it, my last house cost me $200/mo to own for 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noctone posted:

In some housing markets the price to rent is well above the price of (mortgage + property taxes).

• Locked thread