Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also frasiers women are wildly inconsistent. I mean first they set him up with judging amy, then they make him pine for what looks like a chewed-up barbie doll named reagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I think Grammar's real life obsession with blonde bimbos started bleeding in to the character

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Also frasiers women are wildly inconsistent. I mean first they set him up with judging amy, then they make him pine for what looks like a chewed-up barbie doll named reagan

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
After Lilith it's not too shocking he veered to the other extreme.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Faye. Faye is who he should have stayed with.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

After Lilith it's not too shocking he veered to the other extreme.

But he never dated Dr. Mary :confused:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I saw the episode where the blonde woman from Cheers shows up and causes mild PTSD in Frasier from when she apparently left him at the altar, but I never saw the original episode with that or the context leading up to it, what happened there?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Inescapable Duck posted:

I saw the episode where the blonde woman from Cheers shows up and causes mild PTSD in Frasier from when she apparently left him at the altar, but I never saw the original episode with that or the context leading up to it, what happened there?

Fraiser's introduction on Cheers was as a therapist for her, the original female lead, after she had some kind of meltdown and ended up in a mental hospital. Then his first season arc was about them getting married and she left him at the altar since the show was really pushing a 'will they/won't they' thing with her and Ted Danson.

Fraiser ended up sticking around and becoming part of the cast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Huh. Where's his relationship with Lillith fit into this timeline?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Huh. Where's his relationship with Lillith fit into this timeline?

The blonde hooks them up because she noticed an attraction between them. Lilith and Frasier are together and pretty happy through all of Cheers. That's when his son is born as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Solice Kirsk posted:

The blonde hooks them up because she noticed an attraction between them. Lilith and Frasier are together and pretty happy through all of Cheers. That's when his son is born as well.

Well, except when she leaves him to live in a dumb biodome with some random dude. But it ends with them getting back together.

Frasier retcons or modifies a ton of stuff from Cheers though. Like his father was dead, he had no brother, his mother was a psychopath, he spent like a decade hanging out at a dive bar every night...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zore posted:

Well, except when she leaves him to live in a dumb biodome with some random dude. But it ends with them getting back together.

Frasier retcons or modifies a ton of stuff from Cheers though. Like his father was dead, he had no brother, his mother was a psychopath, he spent like a decade hanging out at a dive bar every night...

Frasier retcons Frasier. Martin says he never had a brother and then he hangs out with his brother and his Greek wife for one episode.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAb1W6FJ2qo

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Zore posted:

Fraiser's introduction on Cheers was as a therapist for her, the original female lead, after she had some kind of meltdown and ended up in a mental hospital. Then his first season arc was about them getting married and she left him at the altar since the show was really pushing a 'will they/won't they' thing with her and Ted Danson.

Fraiser ended up sticking around and becoming part of the cast.

Frasier kind of omits how much baggage there was between the two. Niles asks if Frasier had ever let her know how she made him feel, and he was like "well, kinda". But on Cheers, he made it extremely clear over several episodes that she had basically destroyed his well-being, if not his life. Actually if anyone likes Frasier I recommend they watch the first five seasons of Cheers. It's really good and holds up like a clever stage play (as do a lot of the best episodes of Frasier).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zore posted:

I think they lampshaded that in one of the Cheers guest appearances on Frasier, asking why Frasier never mentioned them or something like that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reminder that it's canon that Frasier dies and his will is lost and instead they read out Sam's sperm count to Lilith and Freddy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Cheers was not a dive :colbert:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Faye. Faye is who he should have stayed with.

Judging Amy, yes

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Cheers is great, but eventually everyone turns in to a self-caricature.

RIP Coach

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reminder that it's canon that Frasier dies and his will is lost and instead they read out Sam's sperm count to Lilith and Freddy.

That drat bar.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A producer of Cheers said in an interview that the writers purposely gave Kelsey Grammer the weakest lines to see if he could make them funny and he always did.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The storyline with Roz hating Frasier’s girlfriend and making him choose between them is really weird and out of character.

There’s lots of B plots around Daphne’s mum though, so it’s when the show had gone way downhill.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SEX BURRITO posted:

The storyline with Roz hating Frasier’s girlfriend and making him choose between them is really weird and out of character.

There’s lots of B plots around Daphne’s mum though, so it’s when the show had gone way downhill.

Apparently that season was written by the B team and they were aiming to hook Roz and Frasier up which is why the next season starts with Roz already having quit that job and telling Niles in no uncertain term she has no romantic feelings towards Frasier

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember when Dr Cox was Niles' old high school bully? And then a jarringly chill plumber.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Did Ted Dansen ever show up on Frasier? I love that guy!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

Did Ted Dansen ever show up on Frasier? I love that guy!

One episode in season 2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Never watched Cheers but based on the way Frasier and such reacted when the cast of Cheers showed up they all had really gross, unpleasant and unhealthy relationships with each other right

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

they were alcoholics who spent nearly every night of their lives in a bar

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Almost everyone showed up except for Kirstie Alley because of the whole Scientology not liking psychiatry, and Coach because... well... he was dead.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mojo1701a posted:

Almost everyone showed up except for Kirstie Alley because of the whole Scientology not liking psychiatry, and Coach because... well... he was dead.

Didn't Coach die before Frasier even showed up? I think he was gone after Season 2 and Frasier first appeared season 3

Also yeah one of the ongoing themes of Cheers is that no matter who you are, if you spend every night at a bar you're probably some kinda hosed up

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been watching through Cheers lately and it's fairly watchable, but I'd skip season one. I just could not do it. Far too melodramatic. Not that the later seasons aren't, but S1 pours it on even thicker.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I've been binging this on Netflix lately and holy poo poo, they drink a lot. Like, these are all functioning alcoholics. Sherry every 2 minutes.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I've been binging this on Netflix lately and holy poo poo, they drink a lot. Like, these are all functioning alcoholics. Sherry every 2 minutes.

well kelsey was going to drink no matter what so they just wrote it into the show

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Calaveron posted:

Apparently that season was written by the B team and they were aiming to hook Roz and Frasier up which is why the next season starts with Roz already having quit that job and telling Niles in no uncertain term she has no romantic feelings towards Frasier

Aaah makes sense. For a few episodes Roz was doing that sitcom thing of ‘I have feelings for you, but am going to not subtly mask it by getting mad at the person you’re dating’. It seemed a bit cliche for Frasier.

I like that she literally walked back into her job. I can imagine the poor writer who had to quickly undo the damage of the last season.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

all i can imagine is

maskenfreiheit posted:

LE CIGAR VOLANT

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WampaLord posted:

They take lots of pills, too. Also driving after drinking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They take lots of pills, too. Also driving after drinking.

And I don't really wanna be that guy, but there's a whooooole shitload of "lol trans people!" jokes that haven't aged super great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Really? The only one I can remember is when the big guy who writes the bad poetry misunderstood "Niles is abroad now."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Really? The only one I can remember is when the big guy who writes the bad poetry misunderstood "Niles is abroad now."

Whenever they want a go to analogy for "whacko" it's usually a snide reference to a man who wants to become a woman or vice versa. Lots of gay panic stuff too, but hey, that's the 90s.

Still a hilarious show, making fun of snobs is timeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

That’s NOT funny

Sincerely,
A humourless person