Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hahahaha like holy gently caress how do you even post this poo poo with a straight face

Star Citizen Then To Now 3.0 an emotional journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKnzOKMT08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

SC true believers are creationists. They don't care about the bandwidth limitations, or the latency of calculations, they just care about the item of faith itself. And it's really no deeper than that.

It's well into idealogical territory for these people - pick your favorite idealogy to compare it to - flat earth, communism, reptilian shape-shifters, scientology. Except it's something that is self evidently bullshit, like you can point at it and say 'look at this it is poo poo'

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

The reason they are convinced that Derek have alts is because they all have alts.

There's also the narrative that they've built around Derek as some kind of mastermind. Poe's law tends to cut everyone, especially those with a cognitive malfunction regarding a fondly held belief - My life will be made better by Star Citizen - when the reality is that there's an incredibly flawed process before they get to that over-arching goal. It's one of the reasons that they work on the false equivalency, and tearing down anything that compares to their dream. I'd suggest that it takes a specific kind of mentality, perhaps that of the autocratic model, to throw yourself uncritically behind another flawed, pooping human being while waving away his history, actions and competence.

We see a process that's faulty and filled with pitfalls that won't lead to a cohesive whole, while being seriously loving expensive and pointing at the results.

I'm actually way more interested in the fans now rather than the game; It'll probably be released at some point, but there are people spending tens of thousands on this thing. I wonder how they'll cope.

The more I think about it, the more the SSD thing was a masterstroke. It's pitched to people who could afford the Con; laser-focussed on the whales that could actually drop that kind of cash on something flashy with hardware attached. They just tacked their skinner box onto a tangible.

Shame that the game will hit for the 3rd generation SSD.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SomethingJones posted:

Bowtie:
Maybe not... maybe not just the presentation itself cos... I will say that the presentation was kinda short, we did just see the procedural planets, it was... this presentation was all about procedural planets, it was all about the TRAVEL between procedural planets and the way that they're built which to me is incredibly IMPORTANT, I think... I think that that's AMAZING but yeah some gameplay would have been great... like... would have been...

Nehkara:
People can't... people... you need to stop splitting hairs. There's a million people who told them not to do any gameplay cos they're sick and tired of it. So many people were all up and down them like DO NOT DO ANY GAMEPLAY it's STUPID it's MORONIC it's EMBARRASSING... so... you know... you gotta... you gotta actually... you know... understand where it's coming from here. They did this demo because it's what they had to show and people got pissed at them for doing gameplay.

Bowtie:
I think that... my thing is that... like... this... this DEMO... was... it WAS 3.1 and 3.2... I mean... we KNOW how mining is gonna work... we've... we've got an entire design document on mining, and mining's not gonna change from that design doc. We haven't seen it in game yet FINE, but we know how it's gonna work and we've actually seen them work on procedural asteroids and things to mine and we KNOW that the Prospector's.... LOOK, we KNOW that that's coming. The proc... this is the first time that we've seen procedural CITIES and we all THOUGHT it was coming but they never talked about it or talked about how it was gonna DO and they never talked about the EXTENT that it would go to and HONESTLY seeing all of ARCCORP that is an ENTIRE PLANET OF PROCEDURALLY GENERATED CITY?

That is...

Nehkara:
And it didn't just completely rip its computer apart. Although I did think it was funny that its GPU started to fail at one point

Bowtie:
It... it did... but like... but... but... that is IMPRESSIVE... like...

Nehkara:
Um...

Bowtie:
That to me is more... like that... I know it's not GAMEPLAY... but that is ENGINE WORK that CREATES gameplay... that create... like... you know what else I keep thinking of? I keep think of, uh... uh... ah gently caress... uh... KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. Love that game. But... but... my... mine... uh... all of my MEMORIES around KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC centre around like the first place you show up. And it's a CITY. And there's all these different apartments and things to explore and I get LOST every single time I play it I get LOST in the CITY OF IT.

Cos it's an ENTIRE CITY. I know it's actually really limited when you... when you KNOW IT but when you don't it's a CITY to EXPLORE and all of these different PLACES

The ramblings of men who know they are lying to themselves, desperate in their attempt to be as good as the staff at CIG.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Star Citizen, what's that?" They may ask. Show them! - An attempt to inform new players -
Star Citizen - A Seamless Universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5y2s3jSBrI

:gary:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol how the gently caress do you get lost in the starting zones in KotoR or Kotor2

poo poo you can't even get lost in Swtor

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Thanks.

Earths Surface area is 510.1 million km²

So 1/5 is 102.02 million km²

Lets assume 1 NPCs every 100m²

So 102.02 million km² divided by 100m² = one trillion twenty billion two hundred million

So for the coruscant planet, there is at least one trillion twenty billion two hundred million NPCs.

So yeah, that poo poo is happening.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm gonna :justpost: anyway.

Because surface area contains the radius squared, you actually have to make it 1/5 radius × 1/5 radius = 1/25 of the area.

The mean radius r of the Earth is something like 6,371 kilometers.
The surface area of a sphere is 4πr^2.
This gives the Earth a total surface area of about 5.1×10^8 (or 510,000,000) square kilometers.

A "planet" with a 1,400 kilometer radius would have a surface of roughly 2.46×10^7 (or 24,600,000) square kilometers, which is about 150% as large as Russia's land surface area or 268% as large as the land surface area of the USA.

If you take the estimated population density of the USA, which is 35 people / square kilometer, you would end up at 86,100,000 NPCs.

:eng101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

"Star Citizen, what's that?" They may ask. Show them! - An attempt to inform new players -
Star Citizen - A Seamless Universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5y2s3jSBrI

:gary:

Goons are born in a similar manner to Orkz or the Uruk-Hai, don't know what that idiot is on about :shrug:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

TheAgent posted:

lol how the gently caress do you get lost in the starting zones in KotoR or Kotor2

They have small brains and even smaller penises, hence their focus on Derek's

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

-Is agoraphobic
-Plays KoToR

"Wooaaaaahhhh this city is too big and this linear hallway too dangerous, I have to put this game down and catch my breath"

-Never plays another space game ever again

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Goons are born in a similar manner to Orkz or the Uruk-Hai, don't know what that idiot is on about :shrug:

I remember the day well, when they pulled me out of the stinking poo poo-foetid pool of excrement...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dogeh posted:

I remember the day well, when they pulled me out of the stinking poo poo-foetid pool of excrement...

I always wondered why I most associated with mushrooms and fungi, and then I learned of my true nature.

Ever notice how red texts makes you post fastah!?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dogeh posted:

They pulled you out?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

They pulled you out?

They pushed Derek in. Forced converts never turn out right...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

It's well into idealogical territory for these people - pick your favorite idealogy to compare it to - flat earth, communism, reptilian shape-shifters, scientology. Except it's something that is self evidently bullshit, like you can point at it and say 'look at this it is poo poo'

I'll take exception to Communism in that list; it's a philosophical standpoint that doesn't entirely work because of human nature. There's an ideological angle to it, without a doubt, but the basis was solid enough. Just don't have academics design systems in isolation, or you get Communism, LSD and BSD. Waving it away ignore the circumstances that led to it in the first place, and makes history repeat itself. I'm tough on Communism and the reasons for Communism, but that's not for here.

Flat Earthers are just edgelords; even giving them the time of day is a waste of breath and energy. Reptilians are an extension of Icke's weirdass world after he ran with the mental illness ball; He predicted the end of the world in 1997 because there was an alien spacecraft behind the moon ready to blow everyone away because they didn't love enough. I loved watching Icke speak, because he'd hit the preacher stage; very little awareness of the audience, more about the performance, specific cadence and getting sweaty as all hell. Remember the old James Brown performances? That's Icke, only without the actual pomp, just yelling about the royal family being secret reptiles.

_No evidence_ will turn the believers. Even worse, they're manipulated. Hell, I watched the editor for Nexus give a speech about the moon landings being faked. Apart from the old Percy, "The photographs are all faked", he whipped out the fact that the spacesuits had zips.

I approached him afterwards to point out that the zips are backed by a pressure seal, and he told me he knew. "You don't actually believe any of this?" "No, it pays the bills", he said, sporting a ring of the face on Mars.

Every aberrant belief has someone gunning the engine.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Star Citizens often find themselves lost in their own dreams, the trip from their chair to the kitchen to aquire food items requires pre-planning, a compass, a smart phone with google maps and a strong gps signal, flares for the return journey and a shovel so that if they stumble upon their flatmates bodies during the hazard frought journey, frozen by the winds and cold temperatures, they can be laid to rest and a little Star Citizen flag planted where they fell.

Or it could be they are so out of practice with playing actual games that they are inherently poo poo at them. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Goredema posted:

You know the Star Wars Christmas Special, the legendarily bad television event that has never been shown again, and included such painful, IP-ruining experiences that George Lucas took decades to devise something worse?*

CIG does one of those every. single. year.

Seriously, the CIG holiday livestream is usually the annual high point for awkward, ill-thought-out stupidity. If we have any hope of CIG doing something entertaining with what's left of 2017, that is our last best chance.

* On an interesting trivia note, it was also the first appearance of Boba Fett, albeit in animated form.

Star Wars Christmas Special is honestly better than any event CIG has streamed, it only sucked by 1978 standards which was on the heels of then new blockbuster movie, Star Wars.

The Boba Fett cartoon was rad as hell and definitely the best part though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=714ZdeYSsqw

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Hahahaha like holy gently caress how do you even post this poo poo with a straight face

Holy lol! Every year, we see more and more impressive stuff we can't play.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

I'll take exception to Communism in that list; it's a philosophical standpoint that doesn't entirely work because of human nature. There's an ideological angle to it, without a doubt, but the basis was solid enough. Just don't have academics design systems in isolation, or you get Communism, LSD and BSD. Waving it away ignore the circumstances that led to it in the first place, and makes history repeat itself. I'm tough on Communism and the reasons for Communism, but that's not for here.

Flat Earthers are just edgelords; even giving them the time of day is a waste of breath and energy. Reptilians are an extension of Icke's weirdass world after he ran with the mental illness ball; He predicted the end of the world in 1997 because there was an alien spacecraft behind the moon ready to blow everyone away because they didn't love enough. I loved watching Icke speak, because he'd hit the preacher stage; very little awareness of the audience, more about the performance, specific cadence and getting sweaty as all hell. Remember the old James Brown performances? That's Icke, only without the actual pomp, just yelling about the royal family being secret reptiles.

_No evidence_ will turn the believers. Even worse, they're manipulated. Hell, I watched the editor for Nexus give a speech about the moon landings being faked. Apart from the old Percy, "The photographs are all faked", he whipped out the fact that the spacesuits had zips.

I approached him afterwards to point out that the zips are backed by a pressure seal, and he told me he knew. "You don't actually believe any of this?" "No, it pays the bills", he said, sporting a ring of the face on Mars.

Every aberrant belief has someone gunning the engine.

I get your point about communism - there's more to it than its idealogical component, being rooted in academia. It's fatal flaw being that everyone thinks it'll work if they're the one in charge, the flaw in LSD being that every brain is different. Good point, well met.

I like to think half-jokingly that David Icke did have a genuine spirtual 'awakening' but being a goalkeeper his capacity to interpret it was somewhat limited...

That's a brilliant story about the editor of Nexus - word is that Chris and co know that what Chris has been spouting for years is all bollocks and unachievable and DREAMS, and just like UFO disclosure it's all just around the corner. UFO disclosure has been just around the corner since the 1980s.

I met a real flat-earther when travelling in Europe, we spent an evening with him and his wife and a bunch of friends. A completely great bloke, intelligent, witty... believed the earth was flat. I saw it totally as some kind of idealogical parasite that he had unwittingly become infested with, but I was very very drunk the entire time. Rather than argue with him I just pointed up at the moon, which was 3/4 lit and obviously spherical. He said 'that's what YOU think'

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

It looks like it was printed on an over sized 3d printer. So they paid a lot of money for a dumb prop that could have been fabricated out of some mdf and a vacuum form with some hot styrene.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire posted:

Makes sense that Daniel Craig is working on it; the game is 007 percent done.

:golfclap:

Also lol that “three zero” is actually zero point three :laugh:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sunswipe posted:

I'm actually impressed that it isn't from some custom prop-making company and cost $20,000.

Those numbers are way off, because they aren't paying material cost. They are paying for some company to use an industrial sized 3d printer and rig up some custom powered lcd screens as well as a working pneumatic lift and special smoke effects (dry ice).

Saying it only cost a few quid in materials is like saying that RSI sliding door was just hobbled together from some extra plywood and an old garage door opener.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm curious how much that model ship cost. Can't imagine that was cheap.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Saying it only cost a few quid in materials is like saying that RSI sliding door was just hobbled together from some extra plywood and an old garage door opener.

Actually I have it on good authority that that's exactly how the door was made. Surely you're not implying that I was lied to...

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Lladre posted:

Those numbers are way off, because they aren't paying material cost. They are paying for some company to use an industrial sized 3d printer and rig up some custom powered lcd screens as well as a working pneumatic lift and special smoke effects (dry ice).

just to let you know.
a) it could be diy 3d printer.
b) it could have been printed in pieces and then glued together.

and either of those cases it would have taken days to print that box.
( they could have just gotten cnc machine, and done it on metal/wood. would have been faster and would have looked more stylish ).
dry ice is also pretty cheap. and i just ordered lcd touch screen for 11€'s
servo/motor/stepper to operate that lid would have been 6€'s.

who really knows how much those fans spend on hardware. Because prices do vary between stores a lot.
I think bigger thing here is the time spend building that box.

Think how the fans that spend days building that box will feel, once star citizen collapses.
If i was CR i would be terrified to receive that kind of gift.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 2, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxawXXUqZkw

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The box is made of the finest of rich mahogany, inlaid with tigereye maple, lovingly hand-varnished to a mirror-like sheen. The inside is lined with the finest alpaca wool lining available in the world today.

Then they glued the Panels on the outside with Gorilla glue.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Golli posted:

The box is made of the finest of rich mahogany, inlaid with tigereye maple, lovingly hand-varnished to a mirror-like sheen. The inside is lined with the finest alpaca wool lining available in the world today.

Then they glued the Panels on the outside with Gorilla glue.

And long after Chris remembers what it even is Ben will be buying it off ebay for $10k

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Bofast posted:

If you take the estimated population density of the USA, which is 35 people / square kilometer, you would end up at 86,100,000 NPCs.

Chris said NPCs will be at a 9 to 1 player ratio. So that planet will require 9.5 million players to maintain its full population -- otherwise the game will have to cull the NPC population to fit the human player population. Who will stand up for the rights of the subsumptive AI NPCs that will be killed?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Abuminable posted:

Chris said NPCs will be at a 9 to 1 player ratio. So that planet will require 9.5 million players to maintain its full population -- otherwise the game will have to cull the NPC population to fit the human player population. Who will stand up for the rights of the subsumptive AI NPCs that will be killed?

NPC genocide is the inevitable consequence of the success of Star Citizen.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

And long after Chris remembers what it even is Ben will be buying it off ebay for $10k

I think you mean to say Ben will beg for 10k from random strangers to buy the left over trash from Chris' last failed venture

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I do like their "no bullshit" approach with their vids, there's no lofty dreams or "imagine 'x' feature", just nice info and updates. :)

Ever feel like $160m went to the wrong devs? I know I do :)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hav posted:

She's actually a bellweather for me. Like the one thing I'm keeping an eye on, because she's more interested than involved. She's already kinda checked out from the whole thing, although I'm amused that they keep calling the various shows 'TV Programmes'. They're heading for that difficult seventh season and looking for a shark.

Her lack of engagement is pretty apparent. She also isn't wearing $$$ designer gear for the talking heads segments anymore.

Also on Sandi fashion, that weird white scarf that looks like a bandage is a terrible mistake and she needs to stop trying to make it a "signature look".

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris's Hair:

Then to now.

Truly an amazing journey !

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So none of the genteel citizens are upset that the con they went to was a literal waste of time in terms of game development showcasing?

Like, they paid more in tickets, accommodation and flights than it would have taken to buy the magic ssd (and get a free copy of the game) just to get the chance to play Willy Wonka and the Crobbler Factory with the golden tickets, didn't get any solid info on the game (as I understand it) and instead got to listen to theory crafting about the game which they see in the ATV stuff already?

MoMA, defend this!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

I like to think half-jokingly that David Icke did have a genuine spirtual 'awakening' but being a goalkeeper his capacity to interpret it was somewhat limited...

He'd already retired as the keeper for Coventry and lost a spot as a sports commentator on TV when he rubbed up against his first psychic. Betty Shine basically just put him in touch with the weird side of things.

Wogan interview from 1991 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapHiWsoFXI

SomethingJones posted:

I met a real flat-earther when travelling in Europe, we spent an evening with him and his wife and a bunch of friends. A completely great bloke, intelligent, witty... believed the earth was flat. I saw it totally as some kind of idealogical parasite that he had unwittingly become infested with, but I was very very drunk the entire time. Rather than argue with him I just pointed up at the moon, which was 3/4 lit and obviously spherical. He said 'that's what YOU think'

Yeah. The flat earth thing is weird because it has actually no basis in historical fact. Even map makers of the time didn't consider the world flat because the common observation of sailors was of movement across a surface that was curved, and the best observations of the moon indicated that it was an orb; Galileo's fame was more that he spent time writing screeds on how the church were a bunch of bellends. Regular astronomy kinda leads on from there, but the _actual_ flat earthers are more a bunch of amusing edgelords that I can tell. The kind of people that become Rick and Morty fans, but take it way, way, way too far.

I have stories about conspiracy theorists that seem fairly mundane to me because I stared into that crazy for the longest time. I got shown videos of so many balloons and planes by people that _really_ believed, like hands shaking believed, they had something unusual on their hands. Funny thing is that I got into all that because of Arthur C Clarke's mysterious world, and wanting to find some actual evidence behind things, finding that if you push hard enough, there's a prosaic and fairly mundane reason for what is being promoted. Like there's a couple of UFO cases that I think are bona fide interesting, but if I was to attempt to falsify, I could.

Ultimately the world is a boring loving place because we get used to novelty quickly, and we've largely escaped the need to keep fighting for the top of the food web, so we're entertaining ourselves. Gods and monuments are symptoms of the wider malaise of needing new poo poo all the time (IM grandiose O), and this leads to some people wanting things to be more special and exciting and mysterious than they appear to be. Of course, the mundane world itself is filled with tiny miracles all over the place, but you have to go looking.

tl;dr - I've stared into the abyss and the abyss said, 'gently caress man, I don't know'.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

McGiggins posted:

So none of the genteel citizens are upset that the con they went to was a literal waste of time in terms of game development showcasing?

Like, they paid more in tickets, accommodation and flights than it would have taken to buy the magic ssd (and get a free copy of the game) just to get the chance to play Willy Wonka and the Crobbler Factory with the golden tickets, didn't get any solid info on the game (as I understand it) and instead got to listen to theory crafting about the game which they see in the ATV stuff already?

MoMA, defend this!

Now you understand Game development.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Bofast posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm gonna :justpost: anyway.

Because surface area contains the radius squared, you actually have to make it 1/5 radius × 1/5 radius = 1/25 of the area.

The mean radius r of the Earth is something like 6,371 kilometers.
The surface area of a sphere is 4πr^2.
This gives the Earth a total surface area of about 5.1×10^8 (or 510,000,000) square kilometers.

A "planet" with a 1,400 kilometer radius would have a surface of roughly 2.46×10^7 (or 24,600,000) square kilometers, which is about 150% as large as Russia's land surface area or 268% as large as the land surface area of the USA.

Uh, so the surface area is 268% the size of the US but using the US population density you get 1/3 of the population of the US? I haven't been awake for very long so maybe I'm reading this incorrectly.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 2, 2017

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So what is there to look forward to between now and the holiday livestream? All I can really see them doing is stalling 3.0 for a few more weeks, every week. Maybe a high profile quitter? A check to Citcon vendors bouncing? Maybe some low-level legal action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a different kind of density.