Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

brugroffil posted:

Im sure THIS time Sessions will be in trouble for his blatant perjury!

If sessions is out, the whole house of cards probably collapses, because he doesn't have someone at the DOJ pulling for him to stymie investigations.

I hate that I just had to type these words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

YOU A loving HAT posted:

-sat in a bathtub for an hour every night after work to get the shooting pains in your legs to stop because your boss wants you to wear at least an inch high heel on a concrete floor all day because it's "just more professional"?

if not, well. check yo job privilege.

this sounds like it should be illegal. and also, a bullshit excuse to put women in heels.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

YOU A loving HAT posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA wait you've NEVER worked retail?

Wow. Now I suddenly understand your "why do people stop working" post. I get the context of these words now.

let me ask you...on your current job, do you ever have to:

-stop people from letting their child come behind the register and take a literal piss in the trash can under the counter because they don't want to go find the bathroom and their son is "special-needs so he should be allowed to?"

-break the rules about not leaving the store in order to go have a good cry in your car on your short lunch break because an angry customer called you "a loving ugly cuntfaced bitch" because you couldn't do a return for him without a receipt on a 20$ item, and your manager came out and instead of defending you, threatened to have you disciplined or fired for arguing with the customer?

-sat in a bathtub for an hour every night after work to get the shooting pains in your legs to stop because your boss wants you to wear at least an inch high heel on a concrete floor all day because it's "just more professional"?

I had a guy try to cut me with a boxcutter that he was using to try to steal graphics cards while working at Best Buy. Good times.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The president’s advisers acknowledge privately that Trump’s unpredictable behavior could complicate the trip in ways big and small, from potentially escalating the crisis on the Korean Peninsula to flouting complicated rules of procedure. “You never know what he’ll say,” an administration official said, adding that the grueling schedule could heighten the risk of mistakes. An outside adviser to the administration concurred: “The potential for error is huge.”

:getin:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Epic High Five posted:

Retail is also extremely good for providing perspective on non-retail jobs

Did you know people actually whine about office jobs? lmao

data entry I can understand...it's technically office work but is soul crushing on the same level as retail

i actually went straight from landscaping to office work and frankly retail makes working 10 hours in the dirt and hot sun sound like a paradise

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
has anyone said "cut cut im gay" yet

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

juche avocado posted:

hey i know addamamere's posts are incomprehensible but dude's got depression blinders on which makes it hard to empathize with those walking in previously-unconsidered shoes (to say the least) and he's acknowledged the hell out of it in posts that you might've skipped

he has been checking his job privilege and all he's been seemingly trying (and not doing a v good job at, judging by engagement!) to say is "i like what i do and it keeps me out of the gooncave of few boxer shorts; i can't conceive of wanting to retire as things are goin for me rn"

this is being twisted to "lol you can't conceive of anyone wanting to retire?"

he, himself, isn't so hot on the idea of wanting to retire

read some posts of his over the past few pages and you might see what i mean

i didn't see his other acknowledging posts so I will check my page-skip blinders and go back and read them, thanks goon friend

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Me, to HR lady at new job: "You mean I can just like, not show up on these days? And you still pay me like I was here? I can call in sick and you won't cut my hours in retribution?"

I once did the entire inventory of a 2.5 million/year restaurant, paper and food combined, when I had walking pneumonia.

Every single restaurant has at least 1 sick person working at all times

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Epic High Five posted:

data entry I can understand...it's technically office work but is soul crushing on the same level as retail

I loved data entry, I could just sit there and listen to music and nobody bothered me

a couple years ago I took a call center job and realized that I am now too old to drink enough to tolerate that job anymore

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

That DICK! posted:

COMBO POST: donald trump is......!

garbage band

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

lol that the largest tax increase on the working class in American history got announced today but the #1 trend on twitter is Donna Brazile

it's chock full of twitter style drama!

Also nobody cares about the tax increase because the Congress can't get anything done.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Internet Webguy posted:

The president’s advisers acknowledge privately that Trump’s unpredictable behavior could complicate the trip in ways big and small, from potentially escalating the crisis on the Korean Peninsula to flouting complicated rules of procedure. “You never know what he’ll say,” an administration official said, adding that the grueling schedule could heighten the risk of mistakes. An outside adviser to the administration concurred: “The potential for error is huge.”

:getin:

:shrug: we already had a president :barf: all over the japanese PM on a trip

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

i worked retail and it is the worst, any service industry is basically degrading and soulcrushing and will turn you cynical

no if and buts about it

everyone should be forced to work a year as a waiter at chilis or its equivalent

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah I hate my job and consider it a waste of time, but it pays a fair wage and it's a cushy office job with fantastic health benefits so on balance I have it extremely good.

I just have that office ennui where I know what I spend 8-10 hours a day doing is ultimately extremely meaningless and nobody actually cares about anything I produce. The company I work for makes things that people use to help other people (medical records software) but my own role in the whole process is so amazingly removed from anything good actually happening that I can't help but feel thoroughly worthless.

But again if I take even the tiniest step back I know that I have nothing to complain about in any sort of real way and my real problem is probably my student loans more than anything

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/926122578854412288

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

YOU A loving HAT posted:

seriously. after retail I never whined about having a job with a chair. I worked on a jewelry assembly line some years back and I was so happy to sit DOWN all day and not have customers.

read the retail thread in BFC if you want lots of tales of misery

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

I had a guy try to cut me with a boxcutter that he was using to try to steal graphics cards while working at Best Buy. Good times.

only thing to stop that is a good guy with a boxcutter :911:

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Zeroisanumber posted:

I had a woman put a blender inside a comforter bag set at Sears and try to steal it by buying the bag set and when I found it and called the manager about this silly stocking mistake we made, putting blenders in blankets by accident (we weren't allowed to call ppl on stealing stuff out loud), she told my manager *I* was trying to steal it. Some. How.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pisspiss in the membrane

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

YOU A loving HAT posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA wait you've NEVER worked retail?

Wow. Now I suddenly understand your "why do people stop working" post. I get the context of these words now.

let me ask you...on your current job, do you ever have to:

-stop people from letting their child come behind the register and take a literal piss in the trash can under the counter because they don't want to go find the bathroom and their son is "special-needs so he should be allowed to?"

-break the rules about not leaving the store in order to go have a good cry in your car on your short lunch break because an angry customer called you "a loving ugly cuntfaced bitch" because you couldn't do a return for him without a receipt on a 20$ item, and your manager came out and instead of defending you, threatened to have you disciplined or fired for arguing with the customer?

"the customer is always right" has become a cultural norm and is part of the overlaying problem with this country

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I used to work retail customer service and wanted to die. now I do corporate customer service at home in my pajamas with no live customer interaction. it owns and one day you can do it too

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

YOU A loving HAT posted:

seriously. after retail I never whined about having a job with a chair. I worked on a jewelry assembly line some years back and I was so happy to sit DOWN all day and not have customers.

Honestly, if you can sit, have steady hours/pay, autonomy, and don't have customers/at least tolerable co-workers and supervisors, that's better than almost everyone.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Regular Nintendo posted:

has anyone said "cut cut im gay" yet

go for gold with "cut cut, looks like gay"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

when you pay a person wages that money disappears into hyperspace and can never be reacquired by capital to be used for creating jobs

all the non-job creators take their money and either eat it or buy heroin and then eat that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Consummate Professional posted:

sessions DEFINITELY keeps a pistol is his desk

poo poo he probably has a loaded one mounted on his wall next to a stuffed fish

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The customer is always right even those that have just robbed the store or are attempting to rob the store, and you must not physically assault these misguided customers or you're fired.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

can we get it through our collective heads that there is no such thing as the One Objectively Worst Thing*, and so it's okay for some people to whine about $THING that other people might not find whine worthy

*setting aside ________'s posting

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Consummate Professional posted:

I used to work retail customer service and wanted to die. now I do corporate customer service at home in my pajamas with no live customer interaction. it owns and one day you can do it too

how?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zeroisanumber posted:

drat. My worst retail job story is just getting a chunk of flesh on my arm ripped off by an escaping lobster. You win.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ive worked retail and id rather inspect sewers than work retail

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nonsense posted:

The customer is always right even those that have just robbed the store or are attempting to rob the store, and you must not physically assault these misguided customers or you're fired.

Why the gently caress do you care to assault them? They're not stealing from you.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah i never figured out how to fit in but i never really figured out how to want to

i just get tired of being lonely and long for the sweet release of  w e e d

same, it's all just a sense of knowing there's good things but not forcing it

and because of it, u r an inspiration dogg

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I love how they're like, 'listen, he wasn't trying to get money OUT of the US, he was trying to get it IN clandestinely!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I did a thing posted:

this sounds like it should be illegal. and also, a bullshit excuse to put women in heels.

retail companies do tons of poo poo that's illegal to their workers, they know most of their workers are too desperate for the paycheck to quit and too poor to hire a lawyer (and at the end of the day, you've sued your company for a payout thats usually like a quarter of your annual wages and companies can and will refuse to hire someone who sued their company)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Baloogan posted:

ive worked retail and id rather inspect sewers than work retail

ugh why does baloogan have to be my case in point, gently caress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
inspecting sewers was a big step up, you literally get less poo poo from your customers when you deal with their actual poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

"the customer is always right" has become a cultural norm and is part of the overlaying problem with this country

Here is a story from my time at Best Buy:

One time I spent a half hour having my time wasted by some old guy who kept wanting me to track down different CDs we didn't actually have in stock, and always turned down my offers to put in an order for him or find it at a nearby Best Buy.

Once he left my manager told me the same guy had been kicked out of other Best Buys in the area for trying to lure children into the bathroom and apparently they couldn't kick him out preemptively at this one because what if he wants to buy something this time???

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i hope sessions dwyer's on live national tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

juche avocado posted:

hey i know addamamere's posts are incomprehensible

read some posts of his over the past few pages and you might see what i mean

:thunk:

• Locked thread