Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Caragors are good dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Len posted:

Caragors are good dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDYq6ux65X4

I don't remember if this was posted here or in the Shadow of War thread but it's very good and highlights what manipulation of captain weaknesses can yield.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Caragors are good dogs

They're good dogs, Taran.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Len posted:

Caragors are good dogs

And somehow good cats at the same time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the Perk upgrade system in Wolfenstein 2. Basically you get upgrades in things by playing the game a certain way, shoot a bunch of guys with dual wielded guns? Get bigger magazines. Sneak around and kill guys stealthily? Move faster while crouched.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
It's the FPS equivalent of The Elder Scrolls leveling system and it works a lot better that way.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this! posted:

I like the Perk upgrade system in Wolfenstein 2. Basically you get upgrades in things by playing the game a certain way, shoot a bunch of guys with dual wielded guns? Get bigger magazines. Sneak around and kill guys stealthily? Move faster while crouched.

Even better, it carries through restarts from dying/reloading.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Stealth kill the first guard and then immediately run in and get killed. Repeat 50 or so times. Now do the same thing but by throwing a hatchet at his head. I wish I would have thought of that on my first playthrough.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Doing a skill-tree feels like the most unimaginative way to do character progression these days, as is slapping XP bonuses for doing anything.

I started Vaporum, which is a Bioshock version of Grimrock, and I'm disappointed that progression is exactly the same as grimrock, only they renamed XP to something else. A more interesting way of doing it would be progression shaped by the items you find, that you can then equip or recycle or use to craft something better. It would have been appropriate given the steampunk aesthetic. The Surge apparently has an interesting progression system, but the rest of the game is supposed to be bleh.

Really it helps a game to contextualise its systems so that they all cater to the final product having it's own identity. Examples like Persona 5 being so stylish that even the menus look like a designers dream.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

nael posted:

Thank you I was getting really confused

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

nael posted:

ONE FINE DAY WIV A SCREAM ANNA ROAR
THE URUKS GOT A LIL' CARAGOR :orks:

CARAGOR! CARAAAGOR! ALONE IN THE WASTES WIV A LIL' CARAGOR!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I haven't played Crypt of the Necrodancer in ages, and not at all since the expansion came out (that I bought at launch, and haven't touched).

And holy poo poo I didn't know it was possible to be this rusty at a game.

But no matter how much I die to stupid careless moves because I've slipped a quarter-beat off the rhythm, I can never get mad because every death is always completely my fault. Necrodancer too strong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
in Mario Odyssey when you're scrolling up and down the moon lists, the vibration in the controllers makes a tone that goes up and down depending on the direction you're going. It's very subtle and tough to hear unless you're close to the controller, but it was a neat thing to notice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Elder Scrolls Online has a surprisingly good housing system that gives you a lot of creative freedom, and it's doing a nice job of filling the void left by the lack of a new Animal Crossing.

Rollersnake posted:

@Wueben of Divine Design Alliance transformed Daggerfall Overlook into this amazing halloween funhouse that must be seen to be believed. I highly recommend you visit, and if you find yourself wondering if you've reached the end—you haven't.

Spoiler: The house seems to end at an altar with a legendary cheese. I was posing my character for a screenshot when I noticed my feet clipping through the carpet. Just I was thinking how strange it was that rest of the house was designed with such care and right at the end they missed the carpet hovering a couple inches above the ground, I fell in a concealed pit trap and died.

I'm not quite on that level yet, but I made a latrine. :v:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Crypt of the Necrodancer: Amplified, there is a character named tempo. He(?) is a frankenstein that kills every monster in one hit, but dies if he goes 17 beats without killing. My favorite thing about him is the ticking noise that he makes when the timer gets low. It’s handy not having to look at the timer to know when you’re getting low, it raises the tension, and it makes it that much more satisfying to kill an enemy and reset your timer.

[tick][tock][tick][tock][TICK][TOCK][“HYAH!”][...][...][...]

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rollersnake posted:

Elder Scrolls Online has a surprisingly good housing system that gives you a lot of creative freedom, and it's doing a nice job of filling the void left by the lack of a new Animal Crossing.

Good news! There's a mobile game coming out this month :shepface: I hope there's gyroids.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

In Crypt of the Necrodancer: Amplified, there is a character named tempo. He(?) is a frankenstein that kills every monster in one hit, but dies if he goes 17 beats without killing. My favorite thing about him is the ticking noise that he makes when the timer gets low. It’s handy not having to look at the timer to know when you’re getting low, it raises the tension, and it makes it that much more satisfying to kill an enemy and reset your timer.

[tick][tock][tick][tock][TICK][TOCK][“HYAH!”][...][...][...]
Thank you for telling me there's a Necrodancer expansion. I love this game.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Any time I would come off a play session of Necrodancer and read the forums or message a friend I would find myself typing/scrolling to a beat

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I shamed a Grog Maker last night on Shadow of War. He showed up and talked about how his grog was so good that, if any orc drank it at night, they'd be dead the next morning. But that night? They would be DRAGONS!

After I shamed him he became deranged and just kept yelling "MIX IT UP!" Well, if you do a keep siege, your top two captains will say something before the attack. My first was a guy named "Bolg One Word". He thought super hard, got this happy look on his face, then said "DETERMINATION!". Grog man just yelled "YOU ALL MIXED UP!"

I love my dumb sons.

Then 3 of my captains decided to betray me while I was fighting a graug. The graug killed two of them for me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thank you for telling me there's a Necrodancer expansion. I love this game.
And thanks for posting about Necrodancer at all--I'd never heard of it! Now it's on my Steam wishlist. (I bet it was part of their Halloween sale. Oh, well.)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

And thanks for posting about Necrodancer at all--I'd never heard of it! Now it's on my Steam wishlist. (I bet it was part of their Halloween sale. Oh, well.)

It was 2 quid on Tuesday.

It's seriously great. Buy it anyway. Buy a spare. Then buy your mum a copy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

The roguelite holy trinity is Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, and Necrodancer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

Quadrinity, with Binding of Isaac.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

haveblue posted:

BOI is popular and therefore bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

haveblue posted:

No.

Inzombiac posted:

It's bad, and therefore bad.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inzombiac posted:

Nah, it's pretty bad. There's too many "gently caress you" items, too many items that do the same thing, etc. even before Afterbirth.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I love the little jig the skeletons do right before they move in Necrodancer. They just wanna kill adventurers and have a good time :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
BoI is extremely polarizing but I still have more fun with it/the expansions than Nuclear Throne.

Maybe it's just because I don't mind having the RNG gently caress me every once in a while, which admittedly is a big pain in the rear end, but I think it's part of the charm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I love the little jig the skeletons do right before they move in Necrodancer. They just wanna kill adventurers and have a good time :3:
All the sprite work in Necrodancer is super charming.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

BoI is bad, nuclear throne is good. Please put in OP.

Necrodancer is best.

The best little thing in necrodancer is the hitch in the rhythm in the king konga fight. The zombies animate with it as well so they have a lovely little hitch in their animation in time with the music.

E: badly explained, just go stand in the practice fight and watch em move around, it's great.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Nov 2, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inzombiac posted:

After a page of posts about popular AAA title Shadow of War, you’re sure owning the thread with this tepid take.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

Look at this nerd who isn't hard enough for Crawl.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I enjoy Binding of Isaac, and it feels like it's the only one out of the roguelites being mentioned that really nails cross-item synergy. Somethin' glorious about Brimstone + Ludovico. Or Mom's Knife + Sad Bombs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dewgy posted:

BoI is extremely polarizing but I still have more fun with it/the expansions than Nuclear Throne.

Maybe it's just because I don't mind having the RNG gently caress me every once in a while, which admittedly is a big pain in the rear end, but I think it's part of the charm.

Same. I would have stuck with Nuclear Throne if there were a way to play it at like 75% speed, but it is 2fast4me.

Hey, you know what's a great Necrodancer thing that would go well in BoI? The ability to remove items from pools. Not sure how that would work in BoI though since it doesn't have a recource that carries over from previous runs. (except for eden tokens I guess)

Agent355 posted:

BoI is bad, nuclear throne is good. Please put in OP.

Necrodancer is best.

The best little thing in necrodancer is the hitch in the rhythm in the king konga fight. The zombies animate with it as well so they have a lovely little hitch in their animation in time with the music.

E: badly explained, just go stand in the practice fight and watch em move around, it's great.

The game has so many cool way for the enemies to interact with the music. My favorite is the Banshee miniboss. When you attack it, you become deafened until it dies. In any other game this wouldn't really be a problem. but in Necrodancer it means that you have to keep the beat in your head until you kill it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Who What Now posted:

Look at this nerd who isn't hard enough for Crawl.

DCSS is bad though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RyokoTK posted:

After a page of posts about popular AAA title Shadow of War, you’re sure owning the thread with this tepid take.

I was making fun of people who actually believe it. I have somewhere around 400 hours in BOI and, even though some runs are pretty bullshit, I love the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dewgy posted:

Afterbirth+ is definitely polarizing but BoI itself, especially after Rebirth, was and still is amongst the most universally praised games on Steam. It's about as far from polarizing as video games get.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RyokoTK posted:

DCSS is bad though.

Hell yeah it's badass.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kanfy posted:

Afterbirth+ is definitely polarizing but BoI itself, especially after Rebirth, was and still is amongst the most universally praised games on Steam. It's about as far from polarizing as video games get.

I meant for goons. It's definitely a love/hate thing, and it seems to be extra susceptible to the "billion hours played, now I hate it" phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BOI is bad because you have to look at a naked baby and poop while you play, it's like experiencing a circle of hell where all sensation has been replaced by 2002-era Newgrounds.