Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

JBP posted:

There is so much suspect old GW stuff around. On the other hand old 40k was pretty cool given that it leant heavily into 2000AD style funny criticisms of fascism and poo poo until it turned into a dead eyed space borne white power fantasy.

I still like fantasy and 40k though :V

Eh, I think the existence of Regimental Standard proves they haven't abandoned 40k's satirical nature entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tardcore posted:

GW made the biggest mistake any company can, hired their fans.

This cannot be reiterated enough.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lol if you aren’t mastering your chariot micro in anticipation of glorious Settra’s return

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Lol if you aren’t mastering your chariot micro in anticipation of glorious Settra’s return

Settra really is gonna make Surtha Ek look like a scrub.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Surtha Ek - chariots get +3 melee attack and charge bonus
Settra - chariots get +4 melee attack and charge bonus

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

With your chariots, do you actually click on enemy units to attack or do you click on the ground where you want them to end up?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know, Surtha does sound a bit like mangled Settra.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

With your chariots, do you actually click on enemy units to attack or do you click on the ground where you want them to end up?

You gotta click on them to get the charge bonus. Basically you want to ram into them and then click behind to unit to quickly keep going through. Turn around and repeat.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mazz posted:

The assembly kit is kinda more hassle than it's worth for basic DB edits, since you have to extract the stuff out and all that. Just get the PFM, make a new mod, add in the tables you want from File > Add, and save it to you warhams directory. The Assembly kit gets handy for model viewing and looking up entry interaction across the DB with global searches.

There's a metric fuckton of tables and they're not super intuitive to navigate, it's nice being able to pare them down with a few keywords and then when I found what I wanted it seemed like it'd be super easy to change. I was also struggling to find which packs I needed to add the drat files from for the PFM. And the kit is so much nicer to look at. Lesson learned, gonna back up the entire loving install I guess.

Steam also nixed my TW1 install because I hit uninstall on its assembly kit, good job steam.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What is the secret to playing Empire on VH? I do great in battles, but the campaign map owns me. It seems like taking Marienburg after securing Reikland is the right move, but after that it just devolves. Opportunistic war decs from Brettonians, Nordland, more easterly provinces, even the loving dwarves! I cant get anyone to be my friend or trade with me, outside of a couple NAPs.
I'm so busy putting out fires and rebellions I never gain any momentum to start a second stack or a conquest campaign. This is by far the hardest opening situation i've played. Love the battles though - even after playing Skaven, Empire artillery just looks and sounds so cool. The whistling mortars, especially.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Gitro posted:

There's a metric fuckton of tables and they're not super intuitive to navigate, it's nice being able to pare them down with a few keywords and then when I found what I wanted it seemed like it'd be super easy to change. I was also struggling to find which packs I needed to add the drat files from for the PFM. And the kit is so much nicer to look at. Lesson learned, gonna back up the entire loving install I guess.

Steam also nixed my TW1 install because I hit uninstall on its assembly kit, good job steam.

Its definitely a better interface for searching, no doubt. Having it open alongside the PFM is really the best way to do new things. That, or opening several instances of the PFM, leaving one on data.pack and just copy+pasting the lines you want to edit.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 2, 2017

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

The Bramble posted:

What is the secret to playing Empire on VH? I do great in battles, but the campaign map owns me. It seems like taking Marienburg after securing Reikland is the right move, but after that it just devolves. Opportunistic war decs from Brettonians, Nordland, more easterly provinces, even the loving dwarves! I cant get anyone to be my friend or trade with me, outside of a couple NAPs.
I'm so busy putting out fires and rebellions I never gain any momentum to start a second stack or a conquest campaign. This is by far the hardest opening situation i've played. Love the battles though - even after playing Skaven, Empire artillery just looks and sounds so cool. The whistling mortars, especially.

That's the Empire campaign! The madness is why I replay them so much, you can never tell who is going to gun for you this time, and your borders are never fully secure. If there's a secret it's to pay attention to the diplomacy screen - make note of who's predisposed to like you or hate you, and get NAP's and trade agreements in early whilst your great power penalty is low. Aim to border more people who will trade with you and seize trade goods wherever you can. Once your initial setup is halfway secure (Reikland + Marienburg), you'll want to look to confederating a struggling minor (Wissenland often ends up in trouble against the goblins, and the immediate Eastern province whose name I forget is the same versus vamps), and march your main stack off to the foreverwar in Sylvania.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Bramble posted:

Once you have the entire provinces of Marienburg, Altdorf, and Nuln, go on the defensive for a while. Focus on building up your provinces pretty tall and getting upgraded walls/garrisons in both Marienburg cities and that one Altdorf city between you and Brettonia, that's where you'll see a nexus of beastmen and goblin activity before you can get Skarsnik burned out of his hidey holes.

On very hard and Legendary, you really can't rely on even other empire/dwarf factions coming to you for NAPs and trade agreements. You'll need to start buying off provinces pretty aggressively, doubly so if they have 'distrusts empire' tags for their faction. Your southern neighbors will start frendlying up to you when the Vampires start balling out of sylvania and just as northerners will when Surthua Ek starts chariot drifting all over their asses.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Make sure to build a fort on the Reikland province closest to the mountain pass, Its easily the most vulnerable one of the four.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brasseye posted:

Make sure to build a fort on the Reikland province closest to the mountain pass, Its easily the most vulnerable one of the four.
I want all that Norsca patch stuff in ASAP so I can really get going on another Empire playthrough. They don't add any Skaven up that way, do they? Either as rogue pop-ups or as cities to start? Besides Hellpit, I mean, because that's all the way up in Kislev and I am definitely not getting there early game.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I didn't play TW1 between the Norsca patch and TW2. Did adding a real Norsca faction prevent Varg from snowballing out of control in an avalanche of chariots and maurader horsemen, destroying the empire a dozen turns before Chaos even spawns?

Because that would be nice.

On a related note has anyone else run into the rogue army that's entirely gold chevroned chariots, marauder horsemen, and chaos knights? :allears:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what?

i don't think that archers are too op unless you're talking strictly you using them against AI

Archers are a light bit strong in MP but theyre absolutely too powerful in the campaign. The possible bonuses to archers are really poorly balanced and much greater then the possible bonuses to melee or survivability against ranged . Without even trying with any faction, you can get double the DPS from a late game archer comparesd to its base stats. Theres no equivalent to that for melee and nothing thats going to double your protection against ranged attacks.

If you try, or on factions with exceptional poorly balanced bonuses, you can get completely absurd ranged power. Shades can get well over 200 range and 100 AP DPS. Ive gotten regular WE archers into the hundreds of DPS and their Pathstalker hero to 2000+ plus. You can basically click and delete a shielded chosen at that point or drop Grail Guardians before they can finish their charge

SickZip fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 2, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I didn't play TW1 between the Norsca patch and TW2. Did adding a real Norsca faction prevent Varg from snowballing out of control in an avalanche of chariots and maurader horsemen, destroying the empire a dozen turns before Chaos even spawns?

It divided Norsca into a lot of different tribes that war with each other till they unify and made the Norscan economy dependent on sacking/raiding, so they couldn't afford so many basically free armies from their building income. And their roster made them actually fun to fight unlike now.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ravenfood posted:

I want all that Norsca patch stuff in ASAP so I can really get going on another Empire playthrough. They don't add any Skaven up that way, do they? Either as rogue pop-ups or as cities to start? Besides Hellpit, I mean, because that's all the way up in Kislev and I am definitely not getting there early game.

Its just Hellpit, Skavenblight, and Queek in the old world for Skave . Skavenblight is kinda close but theres still much in the way for it to threaten the empire before it gets crushed by the Dawi-tide

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I've been playing a ton of quick battles, pretty much all as Empire with a core of spearmen + handgunners + royal gryphites and cavalry to flavor with boris/foot captain/wizard for heroes, or volkmar/witch hunter/wizard if I don't feel safe in the air. Any advice on what to bring in particular against certain factions?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I have no secrets for the Empire but I will say this-be very careful about who you ally with, if anyone. Everybody hates everybody else nearby, and the distrust penalties you can accrue from being forced to break treaties can cause a cascade that not only loses you other treaties, but valuable trade too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was talking about multiplayer :v:

Also witch hunters seem... good? One just soloed an entire unit of longbeards and their offbrand spirit leech did good work against Thorgrim

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Same here, thats one of the first things I'm going to do. Also I think I got Norsca for buying TWW2 on release day so will have to try them as well. No other Skaven up north as far as I know though

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I was talking about multiplayer :v:

Also witch hunters seem... good? One just soloed an entire unit of longbeards and their offbrand spirit leech did good work against Thorgrim

I was answering a previous poster. Sorry, shoulda quoted them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StashAugustine posted:

So I've been playing a ton of quick battles, pretty much all as Empire with a core of spearmen + handgunners + royal gryphites and cavalry to flavor with boris/foot captain/wizard for heroes, or volkmar/witch hunter/wizard if I don't feel safe in the air. Any advice on what to bring in particular against certain factions?

Flagellants are great in most matchups unless you're going against heavy missiles. They're unbreakable so they can hold the line forever and Empire has pretty lovely infantry overall so buying time for your own missiles/Cav/Artillery to do their work is key. Greatswords can be good in matchups where you need anti-armor, but they're mid-tier infantry at best so don't expect them to crush Black Orcs/Executioners/etc. They do remarkably well against similarly middling infantry like Storm Vermin though.

Hammer of the Witches is good in basically every matchup. The Templehof Luminark RoR has a net of Amnytok on a cooldown so it's incredibly good against certain factions that lack heavy missile play, I like to bring it against Lizards/Vamps/Chaos/Norsca/Beastmen.

Really the Empire's whole thing is being good but not perfect at any one thing. So bring your good infantry in to crush factions with poo poo-infantry (skaven), go wide against factions that bring really elite units (Helves, Chaos, Delves), Knights of the Blazing Sun combo really well with Fire Wizards against factions that tend to have fire weakness (Welves, Norsca, Vampires), Fate of Bjuna is great vs factions with hella expensive line units like Helves, Chaos, Delves, Dwarves, healing is good when fighting attrition etc. The rule is bring what your opponent is weak at, don't try to throw your 'good but not great' stuff at the stuff they specialize in and expect a win.

Really the best magic is almost always Death (for killing huge expensive pieces like Malekith or Swordmaster of Hoeth), Life (Healing vs big swarm factions), Fire (if you go all in on it and burn everything down vs a fire weak faction), or Light for lockdown of big melee threats like Helf cav or Lizard Dinos.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 2, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

That's not in data.pack, it's in local_en.pack. Different languages have different localizations to change that in.

Text > DB > building_culture_variants and building something else. You have to set the short tooltip thing in one of the building_levels tables in the main part as well, I don't remember which exactly since I just use the tier 4 major flavor text since that's how the 1-3s do it anyway. I think it's called short_description or something.

Also tier 4 minor settlements are a new building if you want to see all the tables I edit, although it's probably more than you need.

Thanks. Trying to enter new entries to this stuff has been incredibly crashy in pfm though, and when I finally got it to save without throwing a fit now TW won't run with my mod activated.

Even when I delete all the new stuff. Going to have to roll back to the workshop version, I guess.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

sassassin posted:

Thanks. Trying to enter new entries to this stuff has been incredibly crashy in pfm though, and when I finally got it to save without throwing a fit now TW won't run with my mod activated.

Even when I delete all the new stuff. Going to have to roll back to the workshop version, I guess.

You can't throw in wrong values into the PFM fields since they expect things like strings or integers and stuff, it's a full on database thing just represented as easy to edit tables so yeah you can throw it out of whack.

The game not loading at all without your mod is strange, and problematic. You might've messed with the original data.pack, and should verify the files in Steam. If it's just your save, you probably had modified assets and you cannot remove the mod any more, or change any of the asset names again (hef_settlement_minor_4_coast isn't just the name you see, it's the pointer name for any references to that building, remove it, and the game can't find it, understandably freaks out, and crashes).

It's hard to know for sure without seeing the .pack in the PFM, if you want link the mod page again and I'll download it when I get home in a bit.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Brasseye posted:

Same here, thats one of the first things I'm going to do. Also I think I got Norsca for buying TWW2 on release day so will have to try them as well. No other Skaven up north as far as I know though

Norsca are amazing. Easily in my top 3 races.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The version on the workshop works fine so I've just binned everything I did this morning and will work from that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah Norsca are really fun. Presumably you'll be able to aim Wulfriks ship power now as well, just like you can all the other spells of that type. I'll probably play a Throgg game when they get readded, barely used a lot of the big monster races yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

sassassin posted:

The version on the workshop works fine so I've just binned everything I did this morning and will work from that.

Yeah I've done that before, as you screw around with it more and realize what's important and what isn't it'll get a lot easier to debug poo poo. I have a stupid good idea of what will crash the game and what won't simply from trial and error modding as far back as Shogun 2.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Have they said anything in regards to Norsca update coming to Mortal Empires? Seems like it shouldn't take too long

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

On a related note has anyone else run into the rogue army that's entirely gold chevroned chariots, marauder horsemen, and chaos knights? :allears:

Horsemen and chariots are still around but no longer top tier and they show up way less for AI armies. Instead you'll see a lot more melee monsters like skinwolves, trolls, and mammoths. The minor factions are a lot more segmented and generally send smaller stacks of more elite infantry less often until either Wulfrik or Trogg get their poo poo together and confederate their neighbors.

In both the Norsca and foundations patch, if you play a the Norse or Chaos, they have changed how the tribes confederate and will willingly join you once you beat each minor factions main lord in combat. In my Throgg game I had all of the north lands confederated inside of 30 turns and was sacking the south not long afterward.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

The Bramble posted:

- Securing Reikland and dealing with the Orc faction (can't remember if they're even still there) to the north/small Beatmen force is probably 90% of the game's difficulty till Chaos shows up. If you can be aggressive and get that done by turn 7-8, you're in excellent shape (you'll need a small spare army to deal with Beastmen).
- The AI respects military strength and bribes. The order factions generally don't backstab unless they're far more powerul than the player, so it's worth begging/bribing/declaring war on the Cult of Pleasure in exchange for non-aggression and trade agreements. It's often worth raiding Reikland for rebellions if there isn't a close war target, and using the money for bribes.
- Confederating is often inferior to keeping a minor faction alive.
- Priority has always been removing the vampire factions before Chaos shows up, but the Dwarves may now be a big target too (dunno haven't tested yet). Skarsnik is difficult and with not much reward for killing him, but it can be decent insurance to take him out early if you're playing legendary (being at war gives good diplomacy bonuses too).
- The capitals of Talabecland and Hochland are arguably the best strategic point in the game to fight Chaos from and they're well worth going for (they have a tendency to get burned down, so it's usually fairly easy!)

Beer Hall Putz fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 2, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Barent posted:

Have they said anything in regards to Norsca update coming to Mortal Empires? Seems like it shouldn't take too long

They said that Norsca and a chaos invasion hotfix are the two things they’re patching in before any other updates, so probably fairly soon

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They said that Norsca and a chaos invasion hotfix are the two things they’re patching in before any other updates, so probably fairly soon

Good to hear, basically waiting for that before I really dig into ME

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Didn't they remove any references to Norsca from those posts afterwards?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Turns out it wasn't even the building stuff breaking my mod, but an innocuous line adding unit recruitment to an existing building like I did a dozen other times without issue.

Still can't see anything wrong with it either. Oh well.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It knows you're trying to cheat and is saving you from yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Just gonna throw this out here again if you're sick of pre-Norsca Norsca bullshit.