Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

you’re not kidding today I have gotten paid to:

- sleep in
- leave my house a 9
- buy a bunch of office furniture at ikea and load it into an employees car
- eat lunch (on the company dime)
- have an hour drive back to my office
- I can claim mileage for all of this

In the last year I've done like maybe 500 hours of actual work.

Pretty much all of June was passing time playing Stardew Valley until a deadline came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

AHHHH I can't loving stand mcmaster's irritating way of pronouncing 'America/n' . Drives me up the walllllll

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
its almost as if work is arbitrary in late stage capitalism and people made up poo poo to get richer over you by just having the ability to supply you with labor

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Naerasa posted:

If you liked Destiny 1 and want the same game with some minor quality of life improvements, yeah, it's good.

i never played destiny 1 bc i only have a pc

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~give me the piss boys~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~to free my soul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~i wannna get lost in your toilet bowl~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~and drift awaaaaay ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

YOU A loving HAT posted:

did you know to this day people still think if you don't get your pizza in 30 min or less, it's free?

that promotion lasted less than a year like 3 DECADES ago. Granted only some older people insist on it now, but still. That's the power of hearing one stupid customer-serving slogan and clinging to it forever.

And Papa Enzo flies out to your home and apologizes to you personally.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

He would be 128 years old.

So, yeah, very possible.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
when i worked for the gap i would show up 5-10 minutes late every day (still do at the office) and the store manager kept bring it up

"why were you late cumshitter?"

"i couldnt find parking"

"why not park in the structure?"

"because theres no employee parking and paying for it means i work an hour for free" *manager walks away*

that parking structure became very important months later when some girl was stabbed walking home from the Grove (a big tourist mall in LA) to where she had parked in some residential area. all of the managers from the various stores went to a big meeting with the people who owned the grove and they came up with a solution to the whole "employee was stabbed" problem: everyone used the buddy system to walk back to their car. still no employee parking to this day.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Naerasa posted:

In my relatively interesting career, I have been:
- an ice cream server
- an art gallery owner's assistant
- a Starbucks barista
- a jeweler
- a clothing retail bitch
- a yoga teacher
- an AP/AR clerk
- a social media marketing grunt
- a marketing manager
- an accountant
- the CFO of a multi-million dollar international corporation

You know what was the hardest out of all of them, no bullshit? Starbucks barista. Hands loving down. I worked harder for longer than I have in any job I've ever held, eaten more poo poo from customers, and got less pay than I did in any other position. I have gone from the bottom to the top in my career and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the service workers at the bottom are doing far more than anyone anywhere else along the chain.

I've found in my life among the CHUDs that the best way to rustle them is to remind them that the (likely minority) that sold them their fast food breakfast was the hardest worker they'll see that day, because its' absolutely true. I'm not sure if I could hold a job at McDonalds

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

hm yes 128 year old hitler kickin it up in buenos aires

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

cumshitter posted:

when i worked for the gap i would show up 5-10 minutes late every day (still do at the office) and the store manager kept bring it up

"i couldnt find parking"

"because theres no employee parking and paying for it means i work an hour for free" *manager walks away*

that parking structure became very important months later when some girl was stabbed walking home from the Grove (a big tourist mall in LA) to where she had parked in some residential area. all of the managers from the various stores went to a big meeting with the people who owned the grove and they came up with a solution to the whole "employee was stabbed" problem: everyone used the buddy system to walk back to their car. still no employee parking to this day.

greetings, fellow gap inc employee

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah it owns

changed the water heater by my lonesome

my last "im gonna fix my hot water heater" encounter ended up with a fireball 2 tha face a so im gonna leave that to the professionals from now on

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Yinlock posted:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but those bills all failed

yeah i guess, really didnt feel like the collective nation screaming NO played a part tho

i just hate the system of bill writing where no politician ever thinks to check with the people they represent

barely any Rs held town halls during that mess so they clearly didnt want the country's input

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
lmao its only thursday and people are already like "paul who?"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Naerasa posted:

greetings, fellow gap inc employee

gap sucks but its super easy to prank call your old manager if you ever want to. they condition the employees not to ask who is calling so you just have to call the store and say "give me [managers name]"

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

it looks incredible and you'll have fun for a bit, but then you will grow to hate it because Bungie made some incredibly stupid choices!!!

It kills me how you don't even play the PC version but you made it a mission to go inform everyone in the thread how terrible it was going to be lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Baloogan posted:

im not sure if this really happened (story i was told), but a couple of guys went down a manhole, and the guy at the top of the manhole who handles ropes / umbilicals was like "i gotta take a leak" on the radio and the boss was like "no, wait till something or other"
and so he took a piss down the manhole and pissed on one of the guys working below and the guy down below came out of the sewer and punched the guy taking a piss right out right there

sign me up

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dinoputz posted:

lmao its only thursday and people are already like "paul who?"

eh it's not like not being the leading news story is stopping Mueller from continuing his work

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

i'd love to have some piss tape

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmao i just realized cops will let allahu ackbar terrorists who just ran over 20 people live when they wave around fake guns but 12 year old black kids with a toy guns in a play park get killshotted before the patrol car even stops

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Baller Ina posted:

cause everyone and their mom being against all the healthcare bills mattered

ronald reagan could rise from his grave and decry the tax plan and theyd still move ahead with it

oh is that how they managed to pass their healthcare bill

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

cumshitter posted:

"i couldnt find parking"

Haha this is loving great

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Worst thing I dealt with in food service: teenagers coming in a group of a dozen+, all ordering frappuccinos, all drinking them, all demanding second fraps for free because we didn't make them right, all getting what they wanted because the customer is always right.

If you're wondering 'wow, 30 frappuccinos in like 10 minutes, what does that do to the rest of the queue?' Here's the answer: loving destroys it and creates 30 minute wait times for drinks that should usually take 2. We'd get calls from corporate every week because we weren't frapping fast enough, but if we turned the teenagers away, then they'd complain to the manager about how we made their drinks wrong and wouldn't make them over again.

No win.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

brugroffil posted:

eh it's not like not being the leading news story is stopping Mueller from continuing his work

yeah p much, he's not a drama hog like trump so it's not going to be leaking every single day

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRc4yi_iOSM

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Al! posted:

i never played destiny 1 bc i only have a pc

If you want to play Diablo 3 with guns in space and a first person shooter with no Real Money Auction House drama do it

TRUUUUUUMP

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

zegermans posted:

I've found in my life among the CHUDs that the best way to rustle them is to remind them that the (likely minority) that sold them their fast food breakfast was the hardest worker they'll see that day, because its' absolutely true. I'm not sure if I could hold a job at McDonalds

If doctors or lawyers could work as fry cooks at McDonalds for the same salary and less hours, not one of them would.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

YOU A loving HAT posted:

did you know to this day people still think if you don't get your pizza in 30 min or less, it's free?

that promotion lasted less than a year like 3 DECADES ago. Granted only some older people insist on it now, but still. That's the power of hearing one stupid customer-serving slogan and clinging to it forever.

I ordered a pizza that came super late. I never complained but Pizza hut emailed me a coupon for a free pizza.

Hope that delivery guy didn't get fired the weather was really lovely.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Waffle House posted:

It kills me how you don't even play the PC version but you made it a mission to go inform everyone in the thread how terrible it was going to be lol

the best part is just as I predicted everyone was "shut up the game will be awesome" pre release and "the game is awesome" for the first week and now they are discussing the obvious faults and generally complaining

it's not like it isn't the same game on Pc but with better graphics or anything.....

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

deathbysnusnu posted:

If doctors or lawyers could work as fry cooks at McDonalds for the same salary and less hours, not one of them would.

I know I wouldn't. At least as a doctor or a lawyer, some people respect you. No one respects the guy who warms their McNuggets.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

head on over to the Self Pub thread in Creative Connection. most of those guys are speed romance but there's pretty much no reason to seek a major publisher these days

I checked it out and it seems pretty slow these days aside from the bitcoin guy selling a lot more copies than he expected.

I didn't see much talk about avoiding major publishers, though I only read the first page and then the last five pages. Clearly going into print with a publisher they'll take a massive cut of your sales, but wouldn't that be made up via volume? It seems like most self-publishers are lucky if they manage to pull in more than $10,000 a year.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Naerasa posted:

In my relatively interesting career, I have been:
- an ice cream server
- an art gallery owner's assistant
- a Starbucks barista
- a jeweler
- a clothing retail bitch
- a yoga teacher
- an AP/AR clerk
- a social media marketing grunt
- a marketing manager
- an accountant
- the CFO of a multi-million dollar international corporation

You know what was the hardest out of all of them, no bullshit? Starbucks barista. Hands loving down. I worked harder for longer than I have in any job I've ever held, eaten more poo poo from customers, and got less pay than I did in any other position. I have gone from the bottom to the top in my career and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the service workers at the bottom are doing far more than anyone anywhere else along the chain.

I have worked:

as an intern for a local community art council
selling books
selling clothes
selling shoes
selling home appliances
changing old folks' diapers and doing their laundry 3rd shift at a nursing home
milking cows and mucking out their stalls at a dairy farm
on a jewelry assembly line
cutting fabric at a craft store
as a press release writer for a local college
as a party princess character for kids bday parties
making costumes and props for various haunted houses
making kids costumes for local theaters/schools
comic book artist and writer
making calzones
as a receptionist for a music school
marketing for an inflatable bounce house business
children's attendant at said bounce house business
independent business on etsy selling art, books, jewelry and crafts
as a bookkeeper and all-around errand bitch for a small jewelry shop

Retail was the worst. Even when i worked 3 jobs at once and lived on Monster and constant heart palpitations, it was better than retail.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/926143201739714562

:stare:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

deathbysnusnu posted:

this is why programming pays well and why the code dot org thing is dumb as gently caress at trying to drive down wages

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Al! posted:

i made a lil money selling my artwork last night, i was thinking about buying destiny 2 for PC, is it any good?

I'm in the minority but I think Destiny 2 is a shitpile.

The story is insultingly hollow. The story kicks off with everybody becoming mortal, then the player becomes immortal again in literally the second mission, removing any sort of urgency or emotional involvement in the stakes. The antagonist is a stereotypically evil dude who is evil because he's evil. They throw a doomsday device into things 2/3 of the way through because I guess the stakes of losing immortality aren't high enough, I guess.

The "endgame" is the most transparent loot grind I've ever seen in a game. Which would be fine--I personally like a good grind--but the insult to injury here is that the gear is painfully boring. Defense, 3 stats which go up to 10... even the interesting loot, exotics, which have some situational/ability perks attached to them, are limited in that you can only equip one at a time.

There is literally 1 new enemy added from Destiny 1. It's a dog.

I think I may hate Destiny 2, and I feel like a dope for buying it.

edit: also the Clan Roster and Clan Chat have been broken for over a week. Think about that. A "AAA" game without clan chat on week 1.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
shehuck copout presser rn: U KNOW WHAT TRUMPS LANGUAGE ISN'T INFLAMMATORY, WHAT'S INFLAMMATORY IS NORTH KOREA!!!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

besides the customer entitlement issues, there's also the matter of forcing people to be nice to other people who are engaging in clearly unacceptable behavior. you are robbed of your agency as a human.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I love to drink coffee but I am never willing to wait in line and pay $5 for it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This is a good tip. My own revelation was writing down tasks on post-its, then crumpling them up when the task was done. Something about the physical payoff of balling up a little piece of paper really lights up the ol' reptile hindbrain.

These are both really good tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
a destiny 1 player:opioid addict::destiny2:trump

• Locked thread