Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Same except replace Magitek Armor with Giant Metal Hands.

This is what I did, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

This is what I did, yeah.

I was very excited to get Giant Metal Left and Right Hands but then was very disappointed that the only interaction they have with each other is slight stat-boosts and nothing like "Master Hand and Crazy Hand beating up some fools".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mainly used Shiva, cause she holds you out in her hand. Her and Behemoth.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nice giantess fetish

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dragonturtle posted:

Seriously, come on and release offline versions of Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia already SE. XI had amazing music and pretty good storylines but I sure can't recommend anyone to actually play it nowadays.

If you wait long enough XIV will make an XI retrospective raid.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I can get this game for about $12 would you guys say it’s worth it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rad Valtar posted:

So I can get this game for about $12 would you guys say it’s worth it?

What game?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Whoops forgot to put the game FFXV.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
75% of Final Fantasy games are worth $12. I wouldn't go against those odds!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Whoops forgot to put the game FFXV.

Yeah, $12 is legit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought FFXV at full price plus season pass. I don't regret it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

If you wait long enough XIV will make an XI retrospective raid.

Aw, that actually sounds kinda great. Now looking forward to that more than the Midgar raid.

(Nothing has been said, but c'mon.)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Aw, that actually sounds kinda great. Now looking forward to that more than the Midgar raid.

(Nothing has been said, but c'mon.)

perhaps more appropriate to the 14 thread but you're definitely on to a strain of us being ripe for some FF7 references in 5.0 (presumably garlean homelands expansion)

Thus far the callbacks to 7 have been minor in structure but major in setting impact--i.e. they don't bear more than a passing resemblance to the original but are huge underpinnings of the setting (the lifestream), the story (meteor), or gameplay (materia). Maybe they keep it this way because of how series-defining 7 is as a game, or maybe we're being warmed up for some "blow up the ceruleum reactor" style poo poo after the back half of 4.0 MSQ was a deeply condensed FF6 highlights reel.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
How are the Dimensions games?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ceaselessfuture posted:

Dimensions 1 is fine. For a mobile game it's pretty alright, if a bit repetitive. I've heard literally nothing about the standalone version of Dimensions 2 and it's $15 so I'm not jumping in without confirming it isn't hot garbage. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ceaselessfuture posted:

Dimensions 1 is an ordinary RPG with gameplay like an incrementally refined Final Fantasy V and an episodic structure, with the drawback that it's a bit repetitive, a bit hard to control, and the characters range from boring to annoying even though they could have been fun.

I also know nothing about Dimensions 2.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dimensions 2 is okay. I'm mainly playing this to pass the time until I can get my Switch.

Side note: Is XIV worth the subscription?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Violet_Sky posted:

You can just play the free trial which is up to level 30 (that's a long-rear end time to then figure out if you want to pay)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Bongo Bill posted:

and the characters range from boring to annoying even though they could have been fun.

Dimensions introduces the single worst character in the entire franchise, and squanders the potential of the rest of its cast. Like, we could have gotten Xena Warrior Princess as a protagonist, but instead we got whatever they were going for with Sarah. Fallen princess of a warrior kingdom? Kicking rad. What we got? Kind of useless character. Same goes for everybody else in the story that had a cool backstory.

Its gameplay isn't even as fun as FFV.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Violet_Sky posted:

Dimensions 2 is okay. I'm mainly playing this to pass the time until I can get my Switch.

If you've tried WoW or anything along those lines in the past and didn't like it, FF14 probably won't change your mind. But there's no harm in giving it a shot, other than mmo addiction death spiral.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

You can just play the free trial which is up to level 30 (that's a long-rear end time to then figure out if you want to pay)

note: That'll get you halfway through the base game's story so all the really coolest plot, cast, and fights aren't near that even if the stuff you do see is pretty neat.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Free trial goes to 35, actually, which is just in time to get to one of 2.0's best fights and right before the story kicks into high gear. Absolutely long enough to figure out if it's worth your while.

Everyone should FF14 free trial if they can.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Gologle posted:

Its gameplay isn't even as fun as FFV.

Yes but that’s true of, like, every FF.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
X-2's gameplay is on the high end of the enjoyability spectrum. The job system's an improvement over V in flexibility and choice, and chaining attacks is fun. I'll never understand why they took out weapons, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey random question about FFX-2 since I am beating it right this second and watching the ending:

Is it canon that Tidus is the Zanarkand-group-dream version of Shuyin? It's very heavily implied, but idk if they explicitly say it.

I haven't watched the 100% ending special scene yet so if they say it there, then that would make sense I guess.

Edit: ahahahahahaha of course I only got 99.8% gently caress you game!!

Does it matter if I beat Via Infinito before I enter the Farplane the first time? If so that's bullshit, since I leveled to 99 in the Farplane, but I have a save before I did that so I could go back

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 5, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bongo Bill posted:

Me neither but:

quote:

The first Final Fantasy Dimensions was a delightful old-school adventure reminiscent of the earliest entries in the storied series. Final Fantasy Dimensions II is an incredibly basic free-to-play mobile game that’s been stripped of its microtransactions and granted a premium price tag.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/final-fantasy-dimensions-ii-is-nothing-like-the-first-1820043127/amp

Not promising.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

bizarre deformity posted:

Hey random question about FFX-2 since I am beating it right this second and watching the ending:

Is it canon that Tidus is the Zanarkand-group-dream version of Shuyin? It's very heavily implied, but idk if they explicitly say it.

I haven't watched the 100% ending special scene yet so if they say it there, then that would make sense I guess.

Does it matter if I beat Via Infinito before I enter the Farplane the first time? If so that's bullshit, since I leveled to 99 in the Farplane, but I have a save before I did that so I could go back

Idk if it’s ever stated either, but that was my reasoning too. That Tidus was just a loosely based dream version of shuyin.

Getting 100% in one go is close to impossible. The game actually has 110% of content or something, so just new game + it and choose the other faction to push it too 100% It’s really not worth it though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bizarre deformity posted:

Nah it's not explicitly stated in the game as to be canon, but it's super duper heavily implied, almost outright stated, from a conversation with Maechen earlier in the game.

As for 100%, it's pretty difficult to get in on a first playthrough. The game expects players to replay the game and choose different decisions that increase the % a bunch to make it much easier to get the 100% ending.

You can backtrack in the Farplane almost right up to the final boss. After 2 musical puzzle things, a cutscene and right before an exit, there'll be another small cutscene where Rikku outright says "This is the point of no return", so if you're before that point then you're good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Getting 100 on the first go in X-2 basically requires reading a guide the whole way through. Small poo poo can trip you up, like if you don't find and talk to the moogle mascot or w/e right after the pop show goodbye special ending. Skipping through the old history buff dude's dialogue instead of letting him talk can also gently caress up your %. Weird poo poo like that.

Just YouTube the ending, it's pretty short.

Also yeah I feel like Shuyin is supposed to be the person the Fayth drew inspiration from when dreaming up Tidus.

Also also can we talk about how great 1000 Words and that whole FMV sequence is, because it makes me cry like a bitch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did follow a guide, which is the annoying part. I know you can backtrack out if he Farplane at any time (it's required to get the grid with Ultima on it) but I thought maybe finishing Via Infinito after entering it might gently caress up my % somehow. I mean, I'm gonna play through it again at some point to do all the creature creator stuff. But I've tried like 4-5 times since the original FFX-2 came out to 100% it in one go and am very annoyed that I followed a guide closely, checked that my % was correct at every point up until chapter 5, and still hosed it up somehow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The one time I 100%'d in one go I followed a guide and it was stressful as gently caress, so I feel you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why would you do it then?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Basically, why not? I'd beaten the game already and was curious what it took to 100% without NG+.

e: it was really only stressful toward the end when you've sank enough time into it you can't restart to talk to the one rando you missed who will give you .4% or w/e

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would you do it then?

If you can’t say that you’ve 100% a Final Fantasy game can you really say you’ve lived a complete life?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mega64 posted:

If you can’t say that you’ve 100% a Final Fantasy game can you really say you’ve lived a complete life?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

If you can’t say that you’ve 100% every Final Fantasy game can you really say you’ve lived a complete life?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was wondering why I felt this gaping emptiness somewhere in me until I saw that post. I know now what I must do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

But why that one?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Because X-2 is great. It was also the first to even have the % counter, iirc, which makes it twice as tempting.

It's not as if I hadn't done completionist runs for nearly everything but X by then. I had a lot of spare time in highschool. I miss it ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I still haven't beaten all the special bosses in X, I need to complete the sphere grid with three more characters which requires loving fortune spheres.

Maybe I can beat the bosses with just Tidus, Yuna, Rikku & Wakka and do the others later.