Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

thats the same thing though

untrue, death by McDonalds Lung and death by rage attack are too very different things my friend

Ed Balls is zen and eats clean so he'll die to neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/926148724950274049

Is there anything he hasn't implicated himself in by now?

He has literally said that he still doesn't have a lawyer because he's having such a good time representing himself

He's probably going to end up being the dumbest person in this entire administration which is really saying something

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That DICK! posted:

this filing should have just been the audio log of homer(krusty?) jumping out a window, running to his car, peeling out, and getting onto a plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwHhj92WOk

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

William Bear posted:

He's still stammering out his answer to the first question

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

William Bear posted:

I really wish we could bring back duels and violent canings in the house. You know for a fact he's basically spilling all of the beans and the republicans after having heard in great detail just how treasonous the Trump campaign was will walk out of the closed door session and immediately go back to character assassinating Mueller and whataboutisming as hard as they can. In a just world, their colleague should be able to shoot them in the face as a matter of honor.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naerasa posted:

Aside from the threat of losing my job, which was extremely real and would have left me unable to make rent? It's depressing to see people treat their fellow man like crap. Sure, we see proof that humans are terrible every second of every day, but being treated like garbage on a regular basis really grinds your self esteem down. At a certain point, you get so low that you think the job is what you deserve, and the poor treatment is a daily reinforcement of your own failings. You say it like caring is a choice, but at a certain point, you can't ignore how terrible it makes you feel to be treated like you're worth less than the people on the other side of the counter. If you're able to ignore that for any extended length of time, then congratulations on achieving enlightment I guess, but for most people that stuff takes a slow but constant toll.

Thanks for the reply. I'm apparently just broke brained in this regard.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Addamere posted:

I mean I guess I get where you're coming from, but I just don't react that way. There were people in boot camp who could not handle getting shouted at, and they got sent home on an administrative discharge. I could handle it just fine. Didn't bother me anymore than someone talking. Whether the person is yelling or not, I'm making the same amount of money unless I do something bad enough to get kicked out. Out here in the real world, It actually makes me feel super smug and self-satisfied when someone chooses to yell, not stressed or angry at all, because it makes me feel like I am better than them by virtue of my ability to maintain my composure and their lack of that ability. It is funny to me. I mean maybe it's because I don't internalize it? But that's part of what I was getting at in the first place. If you know you're right, then just wear that like armor and let the person rage all they want. Call the police or security if they become disruptive to business or other customers, go on about your day, let it slide right off you like a drunk Canadian goose.

SA poster maintains emotional control

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

He has literally said that he still doesn't have a lawyer because he's having such a good time representing himself

He's probably going to end up being the dumbest person in this entire administration which is really saying something

In dumbest timeline, is he the one who walks or does trump

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Addamere posted:

current generation is increasingly not marrying and not having kids so what family

I'm not married or have kids but I still wanna spend time with my niece

also, my siblings

quote:

how about instead make time while you are young enough to actually enjoy it by going on alcohol/drug/sex benders or whatever else floats your boat instead of being a blue haired obnoxious tourist in line to snap a photo of a statue like what even is the point of traveling when you are old and infirm and no longer doing productive things with your life its not like seeing the parthenon is going to inspire you to write the next great novel because you already wrote off doing anything else productive with your life when you mentally decided you are retired and done with that sort of things

because some people can't afford to take off work now. Also wtf you got against old people being tourists, my mom's retired and she can finally go around and look at all the historical new england stuff she wants to check out, why do you think my mom doesn't deserve to do that

she worked hard her whole life to give three kids a great shot and help them through school and provide a nice home along with my dad, let her look at stuff. She ddidn't go on alcoholdrugsex benders because she was busy raising a family and she was an awesome mom growing up. Just because someone is old doesn't mean they don't enjoy vacations or hobbies. My mom likes dollhouses but never had time to just sit for days laking little custom dollhouses. now she does and her dollhouses rule. jfc.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Robert Plant posted:

Absolute worst day of work in my entire life was a dinner shift on Easter Sunday at Applebee's, when kids eat for free. I left a family get together early to cover it. Every table is packed, several kids, every kids meal needs a manager to physically come around and comp it for you every time. Every family is there to eat on the cheap, so mostly waters (no ice), free refills costantly (especially the kids drinks), every table gets destroyed with every group. Everybody's pissy (even more than usual) because they already had to wait to get sat, and they have to wait on drinks from the bar, and they have to wait on food because the kitchen is slammed. The place is packed and filthy and there's no way to get around. Dining Room is crazy hot, the Kitchen is legitimately dangerously hot. All servers are on all night because it never slows down, and when it finally does end your section is destroyed and the kitchen is destroyed so you're spending another hour minimum after your shift cleaning up. And of course, because everyone's there to eat on the cheap, nobody tips. Nobody.

it always cracked me up when people would come in, even at nice restaurants, on a weekend night or a holiday and then be totally flabbergasted and incensed that they had to wait for a table or that their food took twenty minutes to come out.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

brugroffil posted:

YAFH your disney princess thread is a classic

link

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Addamere posted:

Thanks for the reply. I'm apparently just broke brained in this regard.

the term is alienated from your labor, comrade :eng101:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

thanks, brugroffil.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Addamere posted:

I mean I guess I get where you're coming from, but I just don't react that way. There were people in boot camp who could not handle getting shouted at, and they got sent home on an administrative discharge. I could handle it just fine. Didn't bother me anymore than someone talking. Whether the person is yelling or not, I'm making the same amount of money unless I do something bad enough to get kicked out. Out here in the real world, It actually makes me feel super smug and self-satisfied when someone chooses to yell, not stressed or angry at all, because it makes me feel like I am better than them by virtue of my ability to maintain my composure and their lack of that ability. It is funny to me. I mean maybe it's because I don't internalize it? But that's part of what I was getting at in the first place. If you know you're right, then just wear that like armor and let the person rage all they want. Call the police or security if they become disruptive to business or other customers, go on about your day, let it slide right off you like a drunk Canadian goose.

oftenw hen you're speaking for yourself it comes off as though you are implicitly arguing "why can't everyone else just be like this" and i know you've multiple times made "this is a real post and real q bcuz i just can't figure it out" but when you double down with rationalizations and explanations for why it doesn't affect you

it really comes off as a thesis for why everyone else is just not as good at Dealin With Thangs than you are

if you don't mean that then well idk listen to me or not

:negative:

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there was a really excellent A/T thread awhile back from a disney princess impersonator that worked birthday parties and whatnot

she said that one of the more troubling ways it affected her was how they train you to always be engaging with the kids around you, so that you never look bored (for like candid pictures and stuff). since this isn't realistic in a group of children, in lulls you're expected to do things like softly titter to yourself

which means that over time the job affects your personal mannerisms - she said that she'd catch herself doing it around her friends at parties or at bowling or even riding in the car

that was my thread :)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

William Bear posted:

A transcript from the hearing:

SOME REPUBLICAN: So would you say that you were completely innocen-

PAGE: I FAKED THE MOON LANDING

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Robert Plant posted:

Absolute worst day of work in my entire life was a dinner shift on Easter Sunday at Applebee's, when kids eat for free. I left a family get together early to cover it. Every table is packed, several kids, every kids meal needs a manager to physically come around and comp it for you every time. Every family is there to eat on the cheap, so mostly waters (no ice), free refills costantly (especially the kids drinks), every table gets destroyed with every group. Everybody's pissy (even more than usual) because they already had to wait to get sat, and they have to wait on drinks from the bar, and they have to wait on food because the kitchen is slammed. The place is packed and filthy and there's no way to get around. Dining Room is crazy hot, the Kitchen is legitimately dangerously hot. All servers are on all night because it never slows down, and when it finally does end your section is destroyed and the kitchen is destroyed so you're spending another hour minimum after your shift cleaning up. And of course, because everyone's there to eat on the cheap, nobody tips. Nobody.

We had Kids Eat Free all weekend every weekend so pretty much every Sunday way like this for us, it was terrible. I ended up telling them that I couldn't work Sundays anymore when I was still waiting tables to see if they'd gently caress with me over it. They didn't because being somewhat competent and continuously employed for 6 months means you're untouchable lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wieners

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Skyl3lazer posted:

SA poster maintains emotional control

actually im not trolled, im loving it, this isnt tears its victory cum

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5939890/what-its-like-to-work-as-a-professional-party-princess--with-illustrations
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502448&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

- lets slip barron is special-needs
- junior posts another self-incriminating document on twitter

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That DICK! posted:

thanks, brugroffil.

there are many similar ones to choose from!

classic simpsons is so good

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

people just need to call it the kut kut kut act anyway

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

there is rum and marsala in this tiramisu and i probably shouldn't

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

juche avocado posted:

oftenw hen you're speaking for yourself it comes off as though you are implicitly arguing "why can't everyone else just be like this" and i know you've multiple times made "this is a real post and real q bcuz i just can't figure it out" but when you double down with rationalizations and explanations for why it doesn't affect you

it really comes off as a thesis for why everyone else is just not as good at Dealin With Thangs than you are

if you don't mean that then well idk listen to me or not

:negative:

the alternating "actually im an iron tower of competence and cohesiveness" and "also im getting therapy and am totally hosed up lol nihilism" is extremely funny and good tho

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

juche avocado posted:

addamere if you squander the posting capital iv'e spent defending what i'm pretty sure your views actually are by revealing them to be something opposite i will be v sad

thats what happens when you invest posting capital into the posting stock market friend, sometimes the bull market busts and uhm im out of buzzwords vote quimby

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

triple sulk posted:

post ur fav disney princess

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jeff Sessions and his wife must go off into the mountains because their time on Earth is almost over. They know they will not live past the age of 400 years. Jeff finishes writing his journal about the minorities. He and Mary are visited by an Arctic mouse, who is carrying a message from their old friend Michael Flynn who explains that he does not want to go alone. On the way, Jeff and Mary meet up with all the animals, who have come to say goodbye. Then they travel to the Blue Mountains and have tea with Michael. Past the Blue Mountains is a beautiful valley of flowers. The Gnomes ascend the mountain, and say final goodbyes. As Jeff and Mary pass on, their bodies turn into intertwined apple trees. Michael passes moments later, after muttering to himself for a while.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

is he wearing some creepy splatter proof suit

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hai:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

Lol I quit a place once and my manager of two years didn't know who I was

I don’t know what my manager’s reaction at penny’s was because i signed up for a bunch of extra shifts around christmas and then never showed up or spoke to anyone there ever again.

Man i hated everything about penny’s.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ty

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A gross proportion of people in this country are in favor of a permanent servant underclass they can treat like poo poo and will fight tooth and nail any proposal that would help that group get ahead.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

mormonpartyboat posted:

saw multiple people's receipts with 10% tipping and a helpful note explaining that they give 10% to god so why give more to some lovely waiter lol

and of course the fake $20s that were just church adverts

i was the only person to get actual fake money tho and i got to chat with the secret service about it

i told this story before and someone in d&d threatened to call the feds on me for credit card fraud lol

buuuut, if people gave me a lovely tip when i worked at a chain restaurant, i'd just print a new copy of the check and give myself a better tip, and just copy their signature, especially if they totally stiffed me. i'm not paying to work, and if you don't have money to tip, you don't have money to eat out :shrug:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i'm surprised that jeff sessions didn't take his wife's last name, blackshear

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

WHAT

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

We had Kids Eat Free all weekend every weekend so pretty much every Sunday way like this for us, it was terrible. I ended up telling them that I couldn't work Sundays anymore when I was still waiting tables to see if they'd gently caress with me over it. They didn't because being somewhat competent and continuously employed for 6 months means you're untouchable lol

This part is also true. You go 6 months actually showing up and not trying to steal from the restaurant and you're head and shoulders above most of your coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Addamere posted:

thats what happens when you invest posting capital into the posting stock market friend, sometimes the bull market busts and uhm im out of buzzwords vote quimby

lol felt :patriot:

• Locked thread