Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t bother with searing them, tbh, just SV and sauce. I found it didn’t make much difference when I tried half and half.

A man after my own heart. Any time I can compare two treatments to a recipe makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

I have embarked on a 22-hour cottage roll (sweet pickled boneless pork shoulder, popular up here in Canada) at 165 F.

I am expecting hammy goodness tomorrow.

Update: unbelievably tender and delicious. I blasted it in a 500 F oven for 15 minutes to crisp up the outside after it was done puddling. Not too salty either, I was expecting a total salt overload.

Paired it with Kenji's super crispy roasted potatoes and the wife and I crushed it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VERTiG0 posted:

Update: unbelievably tender and delicious. I blasted it in a 500 F oven for 15 minutes to crisp up the outside after it was done puddling. Not too salty either, I was expecting a total salt overload.

Paired it with Kenji's super crispy roasted potatoes and the wife and I crushed it.

is there a recipe for the roll itself? sounds like something i'd like

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also interested in recipe/instructions.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anyone know a quick way to filter out the proteins in the bag liquid? I often get congealed protein when I use it to make pan sauce after viddling

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Anyone know a quick way to filter out the proteins in the bag liquid? I often get congealed protein when I use it to make pan sauce after viddling

I just pour it through a fine strainer/chinois. Does that not work for you?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't have one since my old one broke but I've been meaning to get a new one. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

I have some boneless short ribs I want to puddle. If I'm going to do them for 72 hours I need to seat first, correct? And then once more when they're done?

That is supposed to help with the growth of some sort of harmless but not necessarily tasty bacteria I believe, yes. I’ve heard tales of green ribs if you don’t. You could also dunk them in simmering water for a few seconds.

I think it really depends on where you are and what creatures inhabit the biome there. Not everyone will have that problem if they don’t. But it certainly can’t hurt to sear.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Here's my go-to cost effective / lazy / probably poisonous SV chicken breasts routine:

1. Acquire a flat of those individually wrapped Foster Farms chicken breasts from Costco
2. Throw it in the freezer
3. Cut off a single pack and throw it, frozen, into a 140 degree bath for 2.5 hours
4. Rinse off congealed protein poo poo, dry, and salt
5. Wait 30 min
6. Shallow fry in hot canola oil to brown

Makes real good chicken. Also, I don't end up throwing a bunch of chicken away.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:barf:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

That sounds reasonable if not tasty?

Also that cottage roll basically looks like straight pickled pork shoulder that's heavy on the sugar? I too want to try a taste of the north.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Glottis posted:

Here's my go-to cost effective / lazy / probably poisonous SV chicken breasts routine:

1. Acquire a flat of those individually wrapped Foster Farms chicken breasts from Costco
2. Throw it in the freezer
3. Cut off a single pack and throw it, frozen, into a 140 degree bath for 2.5 hours
4. Rinse off congealed protein poo poo, dry, and salt
5. Wait 30 min
6. Shallow fry in hot canola oil to brown

Makes real good chicken. Also, I don't end up throwing a bunch of chicken away.

Do it at 145 or 150 but yeah, probably fine.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

emdash posted:

is there a recipe for the roll itself? sounds like something i'd like

Feenix posted:

Also interested in recipe/instructions.

I don't know of one personally, but the brine is just water, salt, sugar and nitrates/nitrites/whatever. They're commonly sold in vac pacs around here.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

uPen posted:

Do it at 145 or 150 but yeah, probably fine.

As gross as it may be to some, I prefer it closer to 140. It's perfectly safe from a temperature standpoint, I'm more worried about the heating up plastic part.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I live in Western canada and have never heard of a cottage roll but google tells me you can brine a rolled boneless pork shoulder in:

quote:

1 gallon of water
1 cup Kosher salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. of Cure #1 (pink salt).
1 tbsp. allspice
2 tbsp. juniper berries
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 tbsp. coriander
1 tbsp. whole black pepper
5 whole cloves or 1 tsp. ground cloves
15 whole bay leaves
(alternately, you can use 5 tbsp. of pickling spice instead of the previous seven ingredients that make up the spice combination)

Heat the Kosher salt, pickling salt and brown sugar in the water until dissolved. Add the spices. Refrigerate until cool.

for a week. Sounds like pork pastrami and I think I have to try it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
An immersion circulator seems like it would be ideal for doing a mash for beer, but then the ports would likely get clogged. Anyone experimented with small filters to allow use of the circulator in a "dirty" environment? The main concerns to me would be water flow rate and cleaning the pump afterwards. Water flow rate might be mitigated with a customized bottom with greater surface area tightly secured around the existing bottom, like a fine-mesh bag supported structurally, or like a metal coffee filter. Not sure about cleanup afterwards, but possibly just run it in soapy water and then clean water?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How about putting your mash in a cheesecloth?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

baquerd posted:

An immersion circulator seems like it would be ideal for doing a mash for beer, but then the ports would likely get clogged. Anyone experimented with small filters to allow use of the circulator in a "dirty" environment? The main concerns to me would be water flow rate and cleaning the pump afterwards. Water flow rate might be mitigated with a customized bottom with greater surface area tightly secured around the existing bottom, like a fine-mesh bag supported structurally, or like a metal coffee filter. Not sure about cleanup afterwards, but possibly just run it in soapy water and then clean water?

namaste faggots posted:

How about putting your mash in a cheesecloth?

I was talking about this with a family member who brews a lot and it looks like it works fine if you brew in a bag - here's an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym7I5kPkTyc.

This guy actually uses it to get away with a whole brewing setup that you can do on an apartment balcony using only one big pot, the immersion circulator for the mash, and an induction burner for the boil.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

baquerd posted:

I've heard about problems with stuff scorching onto the heating element, though I'm not sure whether or not that's because the impeller just threw grain at it. I might try it later since I do BIAB anyways.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I wouldn't recommend using it for actual wort heating during the mash, for clogging reasons, but sure do whatever. These things aren't designed to be food safe, ironically. That said I do use mine for heating my strike water, usually so I can set it before I go to work and come home to a perfectly preheated mash tun and water.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
When I eventually switch over to eBIAB, I plan to use mine to heat my sparge water in a separate kettle.

Edit: I realized this wasn't the brewing thread, took out a ton of non-relevant info.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 1, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c...als+LLC-1122587

$47.99. Debating on getting some for gifts

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Where have I seen this device before...

:thunk:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jan posted:

Where have I seen this device before...

:thunk:

Appears to be a rebadge of this thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Gramercy-Kit...words=sous+vide

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
What is better for searing, All-Clad 12" Fry Pan or Cast Iron?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
HAd wanted a second Anova Wifi... so I could do 2 things at once... Treasure Truck just messaged me that they have them for like 40% off, so I snagged another.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

No, I'm saying there seems to be a certain pattern of possibly chinese knockoffs of dubious quality...

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

5436 posted:

What is better for searing, All-Clad 12" Fry Pan or Cast Iron?

My qualifications are weak but after using my All-Clad for searing for years, I tried my cast iron and was amazed at how much better the crust on steak turned out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I love my All-Clad pan, but I'll break out my cast iron for steaks (or corn bread).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Supposedly cast iron has more thermal capacity but actually heats less evenly. For searing the poo poo out of your sous vided meats, thermal capacity is more important.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, there's obvious, visible hot spots above the gas burners in my cast iron as compared to the stainless steel. That's why I preheat it in the oven.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Glottis posted:

Supposedly cast iron has more thermal capacity but actually heats less evenly. For searing the poo poo out of your sous vided meats, thermal capacity is more important.

You can have both if you throw it in the oven first. I leave my cast iron in a 450F oven for a half hour or so once it reaches temperature.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jan posted:

No, I'm saying there seems to be a certain pattern of possibly chinese knockoffs of dubious quality...

Well yeah they've been a thing on Amazon for a little while now. They're definitely Chinese. On Cooking Issues Dave Arnold mentioned coming back from a Chinese manufacturing expo and seeing tons of knockoff circulators.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I feel like getting cowboy holsters and walking around spinning
my 2 Anova now.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Chemmy posted:

You can have both if you throw it in the oven first. I leave my cast iron in a 450F oven for a half hour or so once it reaches temperature.
I have a lovely hood that blows the smoke back in your face so I preheat mine on the grill and that works quite well.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I too have a POS hood so when I'm feeling serious about searing the gently caress out of my sous vided items I use one of these things (outside, obviously) with a cast iron pan

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What is that?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Looks like one of these https://www.amazon.ca/Bayou-Classic-KAB4-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0009JXYQY

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My range hood is also dogshit, moves only 180cfm, and I hate it.

Who makes a good 30" under-cabinet range hood that won't cost $1000?