Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not sure how since she'd be a massive downgrade after the earlier Lexingtons.

South Carolina
Wyoming
New York
New Mexico - Constellation [Lexington (1916)]
Colorado - Constitution [Lexington (1919)]
Indiana [South Dakota (1920)] - North Carolina
Pick a State [North Carolina Design Study D or early South Dakota (1936) design study] - South Dakota (1936)
Montana - Iowa

Is how I split up a Standard-to-Super and Battlecruiser-to-Fast Battleship branch split for the US, I couldn't find a place for Alaska

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Any word on whether or not you can use an old Wargaming account with Steam?

Can't. They say it's technically impractical to implement that.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

South Carolina
Wyoming
New York
New Mexico - Constellation [Lexington (1916)]
Colorado - Constitution [Lexington (1919)]
Indiana [South Dakota (1920)] - North Carolina
Pick a State [North Carolina Design Study D or early South Dakota (1936) design study] - South Dakota (1936)
Montana - Iowa

Is how I split up a Standard-to-Super and Battlecruiser-to-Fast Battleship branch split for the US, I couldn't find a place for Alaska

Alaska seems like a premium to me. This class had more in common with an old style battlecruiser than it did a heavy cruiser.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I'm thinking Alaska may be a premium at some point as well. The new US line is a CL line, so it doesn't fit on that, and even if WG did a battlecruiser line for the US (which would be an incredible stretch, given there was the unfinished Lexington and basically nothing else) it wouldn't fit there either.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Battlecruisers evolved into fast battleships across the 1920s and 1930s - Hood, Dunkerque, and Scharnhorst were all intermediate points in the evolution - a line like that was perfectly feasible for the US if they'd thought it through earlier

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

People really want the Alaska, it's going to be a premium.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Wolfy posted:

Alaska and whatever they decide to name the very similar Japanese B-65

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Wolfy posted:

I would probably buy it because, for the most part, I lack no self-control for warships. Wargaming could probably release a literal floating terd as a premium and I’d :homebrew:

Though, I am proud of myself—I didn’t but the Kii.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
What I want to know is what is going to be the swap/replace policy they put in for the Cleveland/Pensacola. I'm 24k XP away from unlocking the Pensacola and I do have enough free XP/cash to finish it off & buy a Pensacola if the swap turns out to be a net profit or something. Last time WG did a tier swap in World of Tanks during the arty tree extension I got a free T7 arty without having to play a T6 at all.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 2, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MREBoy posted:

What I want to know is what is going to be the swap/replace policy they put in for the Cleveland/Pensacola. I'm 24k XP away from unlocking the Pensacola and I do have enough free XP/cash to finish it off & buy a Pensacola if the swap turns out to be a net profit or something. Last time WG did a tier swap during the arty tree extension I got a free T7 arty without having to play a T6 at all.

When WG did the Russian DD split and tier swap I ended up climbing from tier 7 in the single branch, to tier 8 in both branches, plus owning 4 destroyers, 4 captains, 4 slots, and South Ossetia.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yeah, I would probably buy Alaska too, but I think it should be a side tree from the new Tier 9. It could just sit alongside Des Moines with a longer reload, maybe somewhat flatter arcs than DM, but not as good as Moskva, and super heavy US AP.

Also, :v: on the torpedoes for Baltimore. WG will probably make them low damage 5km range ones.

And if Pesicola is not nerfed and just moved down a tier, I'm going to have to re-buy it. I weirdly enjoyed it even when it was terrible. I will really enjoy the OP version.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 2, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Please remove German battleships from the game thank you

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
So I'm taking a look at this game cuz I like botes. Where the hell do I start? I've got the game/account but haven't actually done anything.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Doctor Zaius posted:

So I'm taking a look at this game cuz I like botes. Where the hell do I start? I've got the game/account but haven't actually done anything.

Get out while you still can.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

I would probably buy it because, for the most part, I lack no self-control for warships. Wargaming could probably release a literal floating terd as a premium and I’d :homebrew:

Though, I am proud of myself—I didn’t but the Kii.
Yeah, I've spend way more money on this game than I'd like to admit. I'd probably buy it.

Doctor Zaius posted:

Provided you don't take the solid advice posted above, shoot botes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrYIgaEuQ3o Here's a solid video on how to use the aiming reticule to shoot mans in botes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrYIgaEuQ3o Another one on penetration if that's a mystery to you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxX0_8x29I Torpedos

I've watched like, some parts of those videos. If you feel like watching an hour worth of youtube videos be my guest, but I imagine the first 5 minutes or so of each of those is probably enough to get you going. Unfortunately, the in game tutorials are nonexistent. I'd start of by playing a little bit of everything. I rushed up the Russian cruiser line when I started, which was an incredibly painful and grueling learning experience, would not recommend that. I'd say the US lines are pretty beginner friendly. German BBs get recommended a lot too. Ultimately low tiers are hardly representative of how that line will play out. Low tier boats are slow and loving horrible. Your teams are going to be painfully horrible forever, only the boats get better. There's a discord in the OP where you can find goons to boat with as well.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Ha, thanks to both. I'm just dipping my toes in for now, so we'll see if I get sucked into this particular whirlpool.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Doctor Zaius posted:

Ha, thanks to both. I'm just dipping my toes in for now, so we'll see if I get sucked into this particular whirlpool.

The nations and ships don't really flesh out until around tier 6-7, but they each have their own little niches. Just try a little bit of everything until you find out what style of gameplay you like, and then come back and ask what would be the best way to pursue that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

CitizenKain posted:

For me, the AP pens on DDs is an issue, but in a way I think the amount of alpha damage BB's do in general is something that needs to be looked at. I don't think the all or nothing style of damage dealing is really a good thing for the game.
In a BB vs CA matchup, generally the BB needs to kill a CA before the CA uses its superior DPM and and fire damage to cause too much damage. Because the BB has such slow firing guns, they have to hit hard. So they have to balance on accuracy, which leads to a dice roll. You can twist and turn and adjust your speed all you want in a CA, eventually a shell or two will and it might be a overpen, it might be a citadel. RN BB's are just dumb because they do a shitload of damage on a hit, probably set a fire or two, and break a bunch of poo poo. Then laugh at fire damage, heal up and disappear.
I just don't know what a good solution would be, CA/CLs health doesn't seem to keep up well with the amount of damage as tiers go up. I don't think a health bump would be the right answer, as then DD's would really struggle with them. Maybe something with BB citadels not doing full shell damage because of reasons. What I do know is getting 3/4 of my health removed by a BB that hadn't been spotted isn't fun.

The game would be a lot easier to balance if they just didn't insist on giving everything silly amounts of alpha damage. It's most obvious with BBs because even the tier 5s do enough damage to kill virtually anything in the game in one salvo, but cruisers have really high damage too.

Of course a New York is never going to do all 103k potential damage in one volley, but it's balanced with random shell dispersion (penetration in warships is the same as random shell dispersion) because 103k alpha on a ship that sees enemies with under 10k health is bonkers and anything that brought player skill into the picture would let good players murder everything in one or two shots.

Cruisers still have really high alpha, but unlike BBs tier 3 cruisers don't do enough damage to one shot tier 10s so there's less need for randomness.

I mean people complained about random damage in world of tanks, but even a tier 5 artillery couldn't one shot tier 7s.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, the Caesar is loving good poo poo:

Also...it's coming

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Blindeye posted:

Also...it's coming

Just got mine. Gonna need to make a tryhard division.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Blindeye posted:

So, the Caesar is loving good poo poo:

Also...it's coming

I am like 100K away and it is so tempting to spend the gold for it especially since I'm already having to run lots of T8 for credits to fit these T8 and
T9 ships I'm at.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The Gaede is almost as unpleasant to play as the T-22. I hate it with a fiery passion because even the dpm using AP on broadside DDs feels less than HE from a US DD. Doesn't help that I've had 4 games in a row with carriers, where I spend the entire time permaspotted.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JFC.

Playing the Halloween game, all going well, a few minutes in. Rasputin is about to come out. Great Gorgon is lurking somewhere in the fo......Oh there it is, and I can see it because the Carrier has gone haring off 8km deep into the fog and is what? Trying to ram it, bringing the close, into close air support? Who knows. Oh look he's blown up.

Welp. So much for this round.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Blindeye posted:

The Gaede is almost as unpleasant to play as the T-22. I hate it with a fiery passion because even the dpm using AP on broadside DDs feels less than HE from a US DD. Doesn't help that I've had 4 games in a row with carriers, where I spend the entire time permaspotted.

Gaede is an unfortunate ship due to the fact that it is the first introductory step into the KMS hybrid style. It can do everything, yet none of it well.

Maass is a bit better, but for a lot of people the line does not come into its own until Z-23.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Gaede is an unfortunate ship due to the fact that it is the first introductory step into the KMS hybrid style. It can do everything, yet none of it well.

Maass is a bit better, but for a lot of people the line does not come into its own until Z-23.

Yeah, the gaede was a struggle for me as well. Sticking to the 128mm guns helped, but it still struggled.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I quit leveling both lines of USN and KM DDs because CVs are such bullshit. I do great when there is no CVs. When CVs show up. FML.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Pensacola on t9 MM Tears of the Desert Epicenter... can you imagine having more fun?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

I did alright in the Gaede, but it wasn't great. Does well at its level tho.

The real great thing about the last season of ranked was using it as guaranteed at tier matchmaking to level my destroyers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Gaede is fine. If you can play the Gaede well, you'll love the Maass.

And then you get the Z-23 and the party begins.

Anyways, looking forward to T8 Cleveland! RADAR on the Cleveland, TIA WG. :getin:
I'll have to rebuy the Pepsicola to get the max refund they're inevitably going to give out for when the split comes, but I've got all the other boats already purchased. I imagine my permaflage for the Baltimore's going to get doubled, too.. I'm pretty psyched for the US CA split. If you remove the Atago from my stats, I actually play US CAs more than IJN ones. Balitmore is love~

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Are they just dropping the Pepsi to T6 without needing something on it? Because it would be a loving beast. Amazing AP, and it can really dance.

Pr3ddy
Jul 26, 2007

My good sir, I am in fact the 'pro'-est of them all
I've applied to the EU boats clan as Samwelly, please approve me; thanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Coming soon

Tier 8 premium, Roma

WiP stats: Hit points - 65400, plating - 32 mm, belt - 375 mm. Main battery - 3x3 381 mm. Firing range - 18.1 km. HE damage - 5100, AP damage - 12000. Reload time 30 s., 180 degree turn time - 30 s., maximum dispersion - 244 m. HE initial velocity - 805 m/s. AP initial velocity - 880 m/s. Sigma count - 1.9. Maximum speed - 30 kt. Turning circle radius - 850 m., rudder shift time - 15.6 s. Surface detectability - 14.5 km, air detectability - 13.3 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke - 13.7 km. Anti-torpedo defense damage reduction: 25%
Available consumables:
Slot 1 - Damage Control Party
Slot 2 - Repair Party
Slot 3 - Spotting Aircraft

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 4, 2017

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Tier 8 premium, Roma

Am i missing something there? Seems like it's just... an Italian NC?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blinks77 posted:

That's pretty much what the Roma is. It's just famous/popular.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

the front half is a barber pole tho, that will be $55 thanks

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blinks77 posted:

15" guns rather than 16" guns. It's famous for being sunk by a German radio guided bomb while trying to surrender to the Allies after the Italian armistice.

I imagine at some point in the distant future there'll be a tree Littorio as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blinks77 posted:

To be fair that sounds fun.

Still like Hood better.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

15" guns rather than 16" guns. It's famous for being sunk by a German radio guided bomb while trying to surrender to the Allies after the Italian armistice.

I imagine at some point in the distant future there'll be a tree Littorio as well.

Oh.

A worse NC then? As BB's live or die by their guns.

Looks like an utter waste of cash. Well.. unless they live up to the Italian rep and have some kind of super reverse option.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinks77 posted:

IRL Italian 381mm were some crazy powerful guns when compared to other european 15" guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Blinks77 posted:

Oh.

Looks like an utter waste of cash. Well.. unless they live up to the Italian rep and have some kind of super reverse option.

Look at the shell velocities, they're 15" railguns. Thing will be a cruiser's worst nightmare.