Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
okay cool. I'm still playing the Titleist 913D3 (7.5* loft), wondering if I should bother upgrading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

okay cool. I'm still playing the Titleist 913D3 (7.5* loft), wondering if I should bother upgrading
I have a 915D3 at 8.5*, having previously had the 910D3 and 913D3 both set at 7.75*. I would say the 915D3 is a nice upgrade, as are last gen drivers like the TaylorMade M1/M2 and Ping G, but it depends on getting fit. A well fit 5-year-old driver will outperform a poorly fit new model.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Callaway X-Hot Pro 9.5 from like 4 years ago.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I don't have one because I can't hit it.

Rilfin
Mar 16, 2005
Anyone watching the CJ Cup in Korea?

Coincidence has it that I am landing at Jeju Island 9am tomorrow Korean time - will immediately rush to the golf course to attend my first ever PGA Tour event. I haven't been able to watch any of it on TV - do anyone have any tips for interesting holes or good locations to watch from? Since tee times are so friggin early for this tournament, I want to make the most of it.

Any tips appreciated!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

Nike vapor fly pro

Same, got it new from Dicks for $150 last year when they were liquidating Nike clubs.

Lately there's been a rattle in the head though. It goes away for a while if I take the shaft out and put it back in but once it comes back it's really annoying because when I transition from backswing to downswing I can hear/feel it.

I will probably end up getting a new driver for next year, I've got a lot of clubs to trade in and I'm happy with the rest of my clubs. I want to actually get fit for the driver but nobody locally does that so I may need to drive somewhere and make a day of it.

Completely unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_1AoeUxTWM

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 20, 2017

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What's a reasonable amount to be chopping off your long irons/hybrids? I'm probably going to walk into my local shop & ask them to make my 6/5/4 the same length as my 7, then adjust weight & lie angle as necessary (And honest God, I hit my 8 noticeably better than my 7, so that may be my target length). I think each successive club is .5 inch longer, so we're talking about as much as 1.5 or 2 inches off the 4 iron. And frankly, I'd like something similar done to my hybrids, which are even longer than their respective irons. And they're graphite to boot, and I don't know if that complicates the issue further. I don't give a poo poo about distance lost, as it will be negligible for me, and far less important than hitting the sweet spot more consistently.

Talking about modifying existing clubs here, not getting fitted for new, which I won't do for another year or more. I'm using Mizuno 850 cast right now. I know that affects the amount they can adjust the lie angle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

What's a reasonable amount to be chopping off your long irons/hybrids? I'm probably going to walk into my local shop & ask them to make my 6/5/4 the same length as my 7, then adjust weight & lie angle as necessary (And honest God, I hit my 8 noticeably better than my 7, so that may be my target length). I think each successive club is .5 inch longer, so we're talking about as much as 1.5 or 2 inches off the 4 iron. And frankly, I'd like something similar done to my hybrids, which are even longer than their respective irons. And they're graphite to boot, and I don't know if that complicates the issue further. I don't give a poo poo about distance lost, as it will be negligible for me, and far less important than hitting the sweet spot more consistently.

Talking about modifying existing clubs here, not getting fitted for new, which I won't do for another year or more. I'm using Mizuno 850 cast right now. I know that affects the amount they can adjust the lie angle.
The amount of weight you have to add to maintain the same swing weight makes your project pretty much impossible. Also your shafts will play super soft due to the increased weight. Also not adjusting loft means your clubs I'll all go about the same distance. Also cast irons mean you won't be able to adjust more than a degree, assuming anyone will even attempt to bend them.

If you want single length shaft irons, you have to build them that way from the start.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 20, 2017

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Lincoln posted:

Don't do this.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I need to run something by you guys. I made a change for the better a few months ago and got myself swinging from the bottom a lot more and have been better for it. I'm hitting my irons crisp, I'm hitting my tee shots crisp, but all of a sudden I am hitting all of my wedge shots *really* fat. I mean like 2" behind the ball on a full swing fat with all 4 wedges. Any ideas? I'm stumped and it's bad enough I have been laying up to the 150 because anything closer I'm going to fat it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

I need to run something by you guys. I made a change for the better a few months ago and got myself swinging from the bottom a lot more and have been better for it. I'm hitting my irons crisp, I'm hitting my tee shots crisp, but all of a sudden I am hitting all of my wedge shots *really* fat. I mean like 2" behind the ball on a full swing fat with all 4 wedges. Any ideas? I'm stumped and it's bad enough I have been laying up to the 150 because anything closer I'm going to fat it.
We're gonna need a video of your normal iron swing and your wedge swing to do a proper diagnosis, but fatting the ball on full swings can be due to losing your posture and lowering yourself.

With wedges, it's also possible your lower body is stopping causing you to throw the club at the ball.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
How do I know there is no God? Golf.

Yesterday, I hit long and down the right side, blocking out my approach to the green. I have a small window through some trees, not incredibly difficult, and I get the guy's attention in the fairway, and ask him and his wife to watch my shot. "Okay!!" I hit, ball catches some leaves, and I lose sight. "Did you get it." "Yeah!" I drive over. "Where is it, did it go in the bunker?" "Did what go in the bunker?" "My shot." Oh, did you hit?" I go searching, find my ball on the line expected, in the bunker, hit out, two putt for bogey. My companion? Hits a crappy shot, short of the green, bounces forward, rams the pin for an eagle.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Farking Bastage posted:

like Lyman said you'll need to post a vid but I'm going to take a wild guess that maybe you're not getting weight-shift across on the downswing on your wedge shots, like you are with your longer clubs...?

I say that because the increase headweight of the wedge and shorter shaft can feel a little less natural to drive your body through, compared with longer clubs that encourage you to swing freely. Just a thought.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Really wanted Leishman to win that tournament but I have to admit, it took balls for Justin Thomas to hit a 3 wood to an island Green after Leish put it in the water in the playoff.

I'm now wondering who's better, Speith or JT? Will be great to watch 2 good mates battle it out this season.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
http://news.tigerwoods.com/hwc-tiger-woods-to-play-in-2017-hero-world-challenge

Guys, guys, guys, Tiger's back again! Hopefully we'll see him play more than his own tournament this time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

http://news.tigerwoods.com/hwc-tiger-woods-to-play-in-2017-hero-world-challenge

Guys, guys, guys, Tiger's back again! Hopefully we'll see him play more than his own tournament this time.

Short course, relatively no pressure, idyllic setting. He did this two years ago when he tried an aborted comeback.

I'd love to see him back, healthy, and competitive so this is kind of a first step to getting back into that mindset I would think.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Short course, relatively no pressure, idyllic setting. He did this two years ago when he tried an aborted comeback.

I'd love to see him back, healthy, and competitive so this is kind of a first step to getting back into that mindset I would think.

I just want to see him at Augusta again.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I've got a good feeling he'll make the cut.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't know why, but I get the feeling he's really back this time, and will win some PGA Tour events.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
A couple of events, one good round, lots of enthusiasm, "he's back!"

Then, back into retirement.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just please stay healthy until March for the Arnold Palmer tourney so I can go see him!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BCRock posted:

Don't do this.

After further research, you are correct.

Josh Lyman posted:

If you want single length shaft irons, you have to build them that way from the start.

After further research, you are likewise correct. I’m going to get fit (fitted?) for a set of Cobra one-length irons. So now I have a new dumb question: let’s say I have every iron in my bag equal the length of a 7-iron, because I struggle with 6 & higher. Can/should I keep my 8/9/P/G their standard length? I have no troubles hitting, say, my 9-iron. Why lengthen it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

After further research, you are likewise correct. I’m going to get fit (fitted?) for a set of Cobra one-length irons. So now I have a new dumb question: let’s say I have every iron in my bag equal the length of a 7-iron, because I struggle with 6 & higher. Can/should I keep my 8/9/P/G their standard length? I have no troubles hitting, say, my 9-iron. Why lengthen it?
Although this partially defeats the purpose of single length irons, there's nothing wrong with the idea. So instead of having all your irons the same length due to a scientifically unfounded pursuit of more consistency, you just have shorter long irons.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Josh Lyman posted:

scientifically unfounded pursuit of more consistency

What

Edit: sorry, should have been more thorough. I hit a 9-iron flawlessly. I chunk or slice my 4-iron more often than not. The longer the club, the more pronounced my problems.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 2, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lincoln posted:

After further research, you are correct.

I also considered this, but I went with hybrids for 3 to 6 and irons from 7 and up and I'm happy I went that way. I have a lot more confidence in my long "irons" now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

What

Edit: sorry, should have been more thorough. I hit a 9-iron flawlessly. I chunk or slice my 4-iron more often than not. The longer the club, the more pronounced my problems.
The idea of single length irons is seems like it should make sense but there's no data to back it up. Distance gapping is compressed and everyone ignores that fact that your other clubs are a different length, so instead of a gradual transition between you have a giant difference from your woods to your irons and then from your irons to your wedges.

That's not to say single length is a bad idea, just that it's not guaranteed to help.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I’m not sure I even understand why longer irons are a different length to begin with. The info I’ve seen seen says extra club length has a minor (or even negligible) effect on distance, and that loft angle is far more meaningful.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
That being said, we need a goon to do the needful and play single length for a year and report back.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Full disclosure: I hit the course at 10 this morning and have been day drinking since tee box #1.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Josh Lyman posted:

...Distance gapping is compressed and everyone ignores that fact that your other clubs are a different length, so instead of a gradual transition between you have a giant difference from your woods to your irons...

There’s a huge difference between my putter swing & driver swing, but it doesn’t affect my score. What’s wrong with having only 4 swings? Driver, iron, wedge, putter.

I’m not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I’m genuinely curious about swing mechanics. I know nothing.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Hey guys, looking for a decent inexpensive rangefinder if that exists...

I'm looking at the Breaking 80 Rangefinder right now, anyone have any experiences with it?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Angry Asian posted:

Hey guys, looking for a decent inexpensive rangefinder if that exists...

I'm looking at the Breaking 80 Rangefinder right now, anyone have any experiences with it?

https://www.mggolf.com/gps-rangefinders/#MG600

Several of us have various iterations of this rangefinder and we all agree that it's pretty great.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
No options to ship to Canada unfortunately :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

There’s a huge difference between my putter swing & driver swing, but it doesn’t affect my score. What’s wrong with having only 4 swings? Driver, iron, wedge, putter.

I’m not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I’m genuinely curious about swing mechanics. I know nothing.
Even the driver swing is different enough from the fairway woods to cause major problems.

See: Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth

Again, single length may work for you, but you won't know until you try it.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Lincoln posted:

The first thing I was taught when learning golf is there aren't any shortcuts. This is sounding like a massive shortcut. Why not just take the money you're going to spend on this and go get some lessons?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Seems to me you don't actually want single length irons, you just want your long irons to be easier to hit. Fortunately there's a solution that isn't quite so drastic: hybrids. Replace your 4 and 5 iron with hybrids to get the forgiveness you seek while not making your short irons awkwardly longer.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
There is a bit of a happy medium between irons and hybrids if you use a utility iron. But best option is go and try some hybrids and utilities see what you get the best numbers from/feel most comfortable with.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It might be reasonable to have groups of lengths -- the 6-9 iron are same length, wedges same length, 2-5 same length. Lofts tweaked to close distance gap.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

There is a bit of a happy medium between irons and hybrids if you use a utility iron. But best option is go and try some hybrids and utilities see what you get the best numbers from/feel most comfortable with.

I hook hybrids off the planet but have been doing really well with a utility iron in recent months. I don't carry a 3 wood or any hybrids. It's driver, utility, and 3-PW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
The new Titleist 818 hybrids fly like a frickin rocket.

I have two of em :D