Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Since we're on the subject, what do you guys think of the NBC video Sargon was whining about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The video is pretty lame. The core message that GamerGate and the alt right often draw from the same pool of misanthropic shut ins who spend a lot of time online is valid. But it doesn't go terribly into detail about how exactly Trump supporters and the alt right (not entirely the same people in both) use the same tactics as GamerGate did other than Discord servers were used to help plan that Rise Of The Right rally and the guy who ran over a protester also was a "My mom is a total bitch!" type of gamer.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The video is pretty lame. The core message that GamerGate and the alt right often draw from the same pool of misanthropic shut ins who spend a lot of time online is valid. But it doesn't go terribly into detail about how exactly Trump supporters and the alt right (not entirely the same people in both) use the same tactics as GamerGate did other than Discord servers were used to help plan that Rise Of The Right rally and the guy who ran over a protester also was a "My mom is a total bitch!" type of gamer.

Which vid is this? Because you could do a fairly convincing essay on how the tactics and psychology are very similar. Such as "refusing to acknowledge any wrong doing" "relying on existing power structures to either break in your favour, or to actively ignore the problem" and "constantly shifting what the problem is in order to encompass a wider and narrower group as required"

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

This heavily downvoted thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN1P6UA7pvM

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The close up of people holding controllers is a pet peeve of mine. Like its the only way to make the audience understand that this is about video games.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It’s a pretty straightforward connecting dots but not getting too much into it video. It’s not surprising because games are very popular with the same demographic that the alt-right courts, but the prevailing underdog self-image and persecution complex that catches a lot of gamers in that demographic makes the transition from GamerGate to alt-right pretty smooth.

Sure, sure, not all gamers, but there are a massive amount of them who use the relative anonymity of its platforms and consequence and moderation free voice chat to be total shitbags ‘ironically’. Try joining your average ‘PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ lobby for constant casual racism and sexism in voice chat. It’s not surprising that a non-trivial amount of this community are actually alt-right shitbags, and whether they’re just dipping their toes in the water, or getting out on the streets, they’re aiding this rise of a supremacist movement with their approval.

And it doesn’t do the #notallgamers types much credit to complain about them portraying small details incorrectly, or generalising, because god drat if that’s not another card-carrying GamerGate/AltRight strategy, to tie people up with bullshit while dodging the real questions, in this case questions like ‘Is your community as toxic as a vat of poison?’

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

It’s a pretty straightforward connecting dots but not getting too much into it video. It’s not surprising because games are very popular with the same demographic that the alt-right courts, but the prevailing underdog self-image and persecution complex that catches a lot of gamers in that demographic makes the transition from GamerGate to alt-right pretty smooth.

Sure, sure, not all gamers, but there are a massive amount of them who use the relative anonymity of its platforms and consequence and moderation free voice chat to be total shitbags ‘ironically’. Try joining your average ‘PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ lobby for constant casual racism and sexism in voice chat. It’s not surprising that a non-trivial amount of this community are actually alt-right shitbags, and whether they’re just dipping their toes in the water, or getting out on the streets, they’re aiding this rise of a supremacist movement with their approval.

And it doesn’t do the #notallgamers types much credit to complain about them portraying small details incorrectly, or generalising, because god drat if that’s not another card-carrying GamerGate/AltRight strategy, to tie people up with bullshit while dodging the real questions, in this case questions like ‘Is your community as toxic as a vat of poison?’

Do you think there were always a ton of white boys who were that racist but felt they had to stay on a leash? I don’t know what to think.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Oh yeah, there definitely were. As a white boy myself, they'd happily open up to me with that poo poo if we were alone. They just assumed everyone who looked like them though like them. And given that they were always surprised when I disagreed, I assume they hadn't been proven wrong too often.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most people are racist it's just nowadays "racist" is only if you say the n word. everyone whining about nfl players kneeling is a racist.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/PrisonPaul/status/925510012923006976

I can't tell what's real and what's parody any more

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Groovelord Neato posted:

most people are racist it's just nowadays "racist" is only if you say the n word. everyone whining about nfl players kneeling is a racist.

Any time there's controversy over someone saying the n-word people come out in full force to argue that "it's just a word". Even that pro-player that got pissed at Overwatch and just screamed the word over and over for literally (and I do mean literally) 30 seconds straight had defenders saying "everyone says stupid stuff when they're angry" and that he's not a racist. The president said there were good people on both sides of Charlottesville when one side was Nazis and people defended that statement. I'm pretty sure you'd have to have be burning a cross in full KKK uniform actively telling a group of minorities (because with just one person it might be a coincidence and they're really just angry at them for reasons other than race, of course) to even be close to considered racist nowadays.

I just had a light bulb moment that's probably obvious to everyone else. This whole narrative of "it's just a word" and "it's just a joke" other stupid notions is most likely pushed by white supremacists for useful idiots to spout off so they can blur the line as much as possible and normalize racism to the point that "moderates" will happily take any "I didn't mean it" excuse and give them the benefit of the doubt, among other reasons like just straight up normalizing racism. I mean, I kind of already knew all of that, but for some reason it all just clicked together.

ChristopherRobin fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 2, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

business hammocks posted:

Do you think there were always a ton of white boys who were that racist but felt they had to stay on a leash? I don’t know what to think.

Goon Danton posted:

Oh yeah, there definitely were. As a white boy myself, they'd happily open up to me with that poo poo if we were alone. They just assumed everyone who looked like them though like them. And given that they were always surprised when I disagreed, I assume they hadn't been proven wrong too often.

I was really into video games, as a white boy who's friends were 95% white, in the early 90's (my middle/high school years) and I didn't ever have this happen. Is it just coincidence (and the fact that I went to a very mixed race school) or did the racism not really start to bubble to the surface until FPS era of gaming?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Groovelord Neato posted:

...everyone whining about nfl players kneeling is a racist.

That's broad brushing, imo. There are folks who are anal about patriotism and think the National Anthem kneeling is inappropriate while simultaneously agreeing that there is a problem with how people of color are treated by cops.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think it’s Console FPS where it really took off. PC gamers don’t talk nearly as much, while Consoles are some white kid trying to be edgy 24/7

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

fallenturtle posted:

That's broad brushing, imo. There are folks who are anal about patriotism and think the National Anthem kneeling is inappropriate while simultaneously agreeing that there is a problem with how people of color are treated by cops.

Show me these mythical people

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JVNO posted:

“Look I hate this Jim Crow stuff as much as anyone and wish the whole country could be as enlightened as we are here in Connecticut, but how does it help anything when that angry Dr. King gets so many of them together in one place? It’s just asking for trouble.”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

I was really into video games, as a white boy who's friends were 95% white, in the early 90's (my middle/high school years) and I didn't ever have this happen. Is it just coincidence (and the fact that I went to a very mixed race school) or did the racism not really start to bubble to the surface until FPS era of gaming?
Blaming FPSs is the classic "jocks bad" reflex used by nerds to avoid self-critique. Don't fall into that trap.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Terrible Opinions posted:

Blaming FPSs is the classic "jocks bad" reflex used by nerds to avoid self-critique. Don't fall into that trap.

Oh, I'm not, I'm just curious of when it started becoming a thing. I don't think there is any one single source of this phenom but instead a combination of factors.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Fans posted:

I think it’s Console FPS where it really took off. PC gamers don’t talk nearly as much, while Consoles are some white kid trying to be edgy 24/7

Yeah, Xbox Live really taking off in '06/'07 is when it really ramped up, I think. Every 360 came with a headset, so there was no barrier to anonymous voice chatting. It was mostly just teenage boys thinking "hey, nobody knows who I am, I can call people 'friend of the family' all I want! Ha ha, I'm such a troll!"

And yeah, don't get me wrong, it's racist as gently caress, but most of the kids yelling it at one another while playing Gears of War were just trying to be edgy. Most of them pulled their heads out of their asses once they grew up a bit more. However, of course, some of those kids just kept on doing it, and grew up to be /pol/ shitheads that gamergate and the alt-right actively courted.

It's like the wave of "get back in the kitchen"-style sexist jokes that were popular back in my high school days. Guys thought "well, I don't ACTUALLY mean it, so it's funny for the shock value!" instead of "hey, this is a sexist thing and I shouldn't say it".

Nowadays, though, I'm pretty sure that Trump-era politics have made the masks come off. "I'm just saying it ironically" is just a smokescreen nowadays, not an excuse. If you hear that poo poo while playing, the person saying it knows exactly what they're saying.

I heard the most racist poo poo as a teenager while playing Uno with strangers over XBL.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It became a thing when folks became able to talk to each other while playing. Much easier to yell than type racial abuse.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

fallenturtle posted:

Oh, I'm not, I'm just curious of when it started becoming a thing. I don't think there is any one single source of this phenom but instead a combination of factors.

1) Games got really good, like hired-psychologists-and-behaviorists-good, at providing these hoops you gotta jump through to periodically get your shiny winning feeling in your reptile brain. So you've got a whole generation of young men raised on validation-providing skinner box power fantasies. This breeds entitlement. Why are things hard? Why do I have to grind at a real career for literal years before I level up? Why does all my equipment suck? Why isn't my life more like these games?

2) The internet finally hit the tipping point where just playing a video game with multiplayer exposes you to Extremely Online People, of whom there are, relatively speaking, a lot more nazis than most folks encounter in their day to day lives. And these nazis seem transgressive and edgy to 12 year olds raised on dry white toast.

3) Right wing billionaires have made a concerted effort since the early 80s to work their way into youth culture. For a long time, there were just well-funded college republican/college libertarian groups which served as the top of the funnel for right wing journalists, academics and politicians. You find your really weaselly state school freshman and raise him up into a GOP functionary. But now, they've decided to work on indoctrinating kids in whatever way they can at even earlier ages. Give it time: it will come out that Mercer money made its way to Minecraft livestreamers or something similar. But Gamergate was absolutely Mercer Money -> Bannon -> Milo, and they knew exactly what they wanted to do, and I would say they were pretty successful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fallenturtle posted:

nope.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

I don't think he's going to acknowledge his 'white moderates' apologia.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fallenturtle posted:

you probably weren't paying attention, i'm a white boy with white friends who played video games in the early 90's who went to a mixed race school and my neighborhood gamer buddies were definitely low key racists

the main difference between then and now is that internal racism wasn't being as challenged back then as it is now. it's definitely en vogue for lovely white men to be performative racists to piss in the eye of society for whatever reason, when in the 90's that niche was filled by slicking your hair, wearing a trench coat, and talking about satanism, punk rock, and smoking weed at school

where casual racism used to just be accepted without comment (among exclusively white groups, or white male peer groups) now it's a front and center question where people have to either be pro- or anti-racism, and the pro-racism types are far more likely to take it to an extreme

also the amount of invective and trash talk a bunch of twelve year olds can muster in the family living room is a lot different from what an underemployed anonymous man can spit out over a microphone to strangers around the world

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, Xbox Live really taking off in '06/'07 is when it really ramped up, I think. Every 360 came with a headset, so there was no barrier to anonymous voice chatting. It was mostly just teenage boys thinking "hey, nobody knows who I am, I can call people 'friend of the family' all I want! Ha ha, I'm such a troll!"

this is why i appreciate overwatch, it minimizes the amount of contact you have with other players and makes it super easy to mute them

another game i sometimes play, rising storm 2, is set in vietnam and it has two fatal flaws

-the setting causes a bunch of idiots to endlessly parrot ching chong style slurs against vietnamese
-the ui for muting and votekicking people is very poorly designed

such that there are a few servers which i play on exclusively because they are zero tolerance for racism, and if those servers are unavailable i dont play the game. because i'm incredibly over listening to racists blather into microphones during my leisure time

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 2, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

JVNO posted:

JVNO posted:

I don't think he's going to acknowledge his 'white moderates' apologia.

Since its an opinion, I don't have a list of people that I can just whip out and currently I'm working, so I'm going to have to circle back to this when I have more time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Since its an opinion, I don't have a list of people that I can just whip out and currently I'm working, so I'm going to have to circle back to this when I have more time.

Saying "there are folks who are [something]" isn't stating an opinion, it's stating (what you believe to be) a fact.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think people who play CoD obsessively are giant nerds too, just more irritating than grogs. There is a specific thing about multiplayer FPS games with voice chat that seems to attract, or manufacture, the worst loving people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I think people who play CoD obsessively are giant nerds too, just more irritating than grogs. There is a specific thing about multiplayer FPS games with voice chat that seems to attract, or manufacture, the worst loving people.

my bro have you heard of MOBAs or fighting games?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The most toxic gaming communities I've seen are MOBAs, the time investment of up to an hour or more a match leads to some real loving hostility being expressed when a teammate fucks up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

i'm incredibly over listening to racists blather into microphones during my leisure time
Isn't that what this whole thread is for? :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

I have never played a moba in my life, so no, actually. I know next to nothing about them. The last fighting game I played was I think tekken 3 when I had my playstation and no friends. I did play CoD 4 when it was new out and got relatively good at it, but even then there were a lot of knobheads on the server.

I also cannot play team games because I get inordinately angry at my teammates all the time so I'm hardly immune to it, I just don't immediately jump to racial slurs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

boner confessor posted:

Fighting games have the usual assholes as anything does, but is also one of the most inclusive genres I've seen.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Looking more and more like Contra got played

https://twitter.com/RealDorianDawes/status/926152918939643910

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I have never played a moba in my life, so no, actually. I know next to nothing about them. The last fighting game I played was I think tekken 3 when I had my playstation and no friends. I did play CoD 4 when it was new out and got relatively good at it, but even then there were a lot of knobheads on the server.

I also cannot play team games because I get inordinately angry at my teammates all the time so I'm hardly immune to it, I just don't immediately jump to racial slurs.

dont get me wrong, FPS are riddled with assholes and cretins, but MOBAs and fighting games are way worse

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Why did Singal tweet out that piece again now? It's more than a year old and it seems like he just did it to piss people off

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

They just have legitimate concerns!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Meh, people get played sometimes. I'm not gonna throw Contra under the bus just because she decided to give someone the benefit of the doubt and got burned on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah telling people they maybe didn't do great with a decision isn't damning them for all eternity.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah. Don’t kid yourself that this stuff hasn’t poisoned the whole tree and missed your branches. With the popularity means there’s diversity in every playerbase, but you can guarantee there’s an undercurrent of racism and sexism in nearly every gaming community. The explosion of popularity in the last two decades has been tilted towards 10-40 year old boys/men via marketing and self selecting culture, and grognards can get just as upset about ‘getting politics in ma vidya games’ as the jocks.

You can pretty much guarantee that the sort of guy who think Sargon is a reasonable man probably ain’t no jock. The problem is unchallenged, unmoderated racism and sexism, and that is the way of things in games whether it’s single player, online multiplayer, massively multiplayer. All relatively successful games develop communities around them, and very few of them have any sort of code of conduct that would prevent this simmering under the surface.

You can anecdotal your way out of believing it by relating to your own circle, but let’s be real, anyone who plays games with a real-time voice or text chat component has observed racism or sexism and done nothing about it, because at this point it’s a literal torrent of bullshit that would suck up all of your playtime to do so.

But it’s necessary to start somewhere. Gaming is sick because society is sick, and if you’re willing to let it go unchallenged every single time, not even a word calling it out, well you might not be making it worse but you aren’t making it better either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Meh, people get played sometimes. I'm not gonna throw Contra under the bus just because she decided to give someone the benefit of the doubt and got burned on it.

Oh yeah, it's not her fault. Getting burned is part of life.

aware of dog posted:

Why did Singal tweet out that piece again now? It's more than a year old and it seems like he just did it to piss people off

The best part is when people call him out for it by showing how the only retweets are transphobes, he uses Stefan Molyneux's catchphrase.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 2, 2017

• Locked thread