Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
They had to force the Ino-Shika-Cho connection somehow. And at least Ino and Sai tried to give him a name; Ino's own parents clearly didn't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

They had to force the Ino-Shika-Cho connection somehow. And at least Ino and Sai tried to give him a name; Ino's own parents clearly didn't bother.

Yeah, didn't Ino, Shikamaru, and Chouji's dads all have similar names to their kids as well?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Inochi, Shikaku, Chouza

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Inochi, Shikaku, Chouza

Meaning the current generation is just par for the course as far as those families go then, makes sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think whoever's writing/storyboarding this show are better at fights than Kishimoto ever was. They even remembered what the sharingan's original powers were.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is anyone else finding the melodrama of the last few episodes kind of draining? I was really enjoying this arc (and the show itself) up until Kagura went "I've realized I don't have to be a slave to my ancestors anymore. Psych! I'm going to be a villain and I'll kill you the next time we meet because I guess I can't defy my heritage". I loved the idea that Boruto was able to defuse what in Naruto would have been a battle over someone's soul by instead showing them how fun just being yourself can be through ninja Uno, and then that didn't really count for anything and we have to go through several episodes of overly dramatic ninja fights anyway because apparently nothing can be resolved without them. It wouldn't even be so bad if it was just one episode I suppose, but it's now going to be several episodes of non-stop fighting. I loved Boruto as a silly slice of life view in to the lives of the original cast's kids (and a few others), but this feels like the part where it's starting to veer towards the tone and content of the original. I hope there's at least some more fun episodes before it dives in to it full time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Not really, at least personally

It's been like 2 or 3 episodes of fighting.

And the fighting is Small scale, which is when Naruto is at it's best. Also not much sense of an actual large scale threat, Choujiro completely washed 3 of those dudes/dudettes, with a broken sword.

It being framed as just a "fight" between kids and teens(and a ringer in Choujiro), and Sarada not really worrying much outside of getting this handled by 9. It stayed pretty grounded to the tone of the series so far.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

tsob posted:

I hope there's at least some more fun episodes before it dives in to it full time.

Well according to previews a future episode is Boruto running around like a chicken with his head cut off because he forgot to get Hima a souvenir.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Well according to previews a future episode is Boruto running around like a chicken with his head cut off because he forgot to get Hima a souvenir.

Link?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

It's a translation of an episode guide.

Episode 32: Souvenir Quest (November 8, 2017)

Summary:

“The field trip has ended. But, Boruto’s sister Himawari is acting a little strange upon his return. She was looking forward to a souvenir from her big brother, but Boruto had completely forgotten about it!”

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't really mind the show turning dramatic because i find this ideological conflict pretty interesting. i do admit having Kagura flip sides felt a little lame when it only serves to pad things by an extra episode or so. i had really wanted to see him enter this fight against the other six swords with Boruto/Sarada/etc and it be a fight entirely between the new generation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

oh then lmao one more episode, which means is probably gonna end with Mitsuki showing that scroll to Kagura, it talking about how Yagura wasn't that bad and the bad poo poo he did was because he was being mind controlled by Madara or some poo poo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When was the last time we actually saw the Sharingan get used for its original purpose (that is, copying techniques)?

I swear, this show is almost like the anti-GT. Both are continuations of established properties done by different writers with little to no involvement from the original creator and both try to incorporate elements from the previous 2 installments into its stories, only here those elements are used in a way that shows the writers actually understand them.

In fact, I think some of the stuff in this show so far is actually better than the Naruto manga (or the later half of it at any rate), it's kind of impressive.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

oh then lmao one more episode, which means is probably gonna end with Mitsuki showing that scroll to Kagura, it talking about how Yagura wasn't that bad and the bad poo poo he did was because he was being mind controlled by Madara or some poo poo

He was being mind controlled by Obito under Madara's name but other then that yeah.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This was the best episode of Naruto I've seen in years.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I loved that the dude with the exploding axe sword spent the whole time being a smug prick, got stabbed by Iwabe once, and then I guess decided to suicide bomb him?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I dunno how "basically a stick of dynamite on a stick" is supposed to work tbh.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pretty well if the person is competent. Think explosion sword from Rave.

None of these kids have seen "real" combat. Besides maybe Kisame's kid. They are dumb kids talking big about bringing back an age where they would likely be the ones who die outside of Kagura more than likely.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Axe with lots of explosive tags is a neat idea, but something that can be easily replicated by another person making weapons. The seven swords are supposed to be unique and powerful (and in several cases magical) so relative to that, it feels kinda bland. It would be cool if more of the weapons were along the lines hiramekarei or samehada, where they allow special use or manipulation of chakra.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

Pretty well if the person is competent. Think explosion sword from Rave.

None of these kids have seen "real" combat. Besides maybe Kisame's kid. They are dumb kids talking big about bringing back an age where they would likely be the ones who die outside of Kagura more than likely.

Is he Kisame's kid or a just a relative.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Mymla posted:

This was the best episode of Naruto I've seen in years.

Agreed, I love how the fights were all won through creativeness and clever move usage instead of magic powers or friendship.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

this episode kicked rear end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

this episode kicked rear end

Indeed, I think that bit towards the end might have been one of the first times Boruto ever used a Hyuga-style technique (which he should honestly do more often as it wouldn't make much sense for him to just have his dad's skills but nothing else).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

Boruto used a Hyuga-style technique

He did? When?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

He did? When?

When he did the clone attack on whatshisface (Kisame's son), Boruto hit him with an open palm (so not a Hyuga technique per se but probably the closest we've seen from him so far). Still though, it'd be nice if he started using some moves from his mom's side of the family aside from that weird one-eyed Byakugan he had during the first arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He didn't use a Hyuuga technique, but obviously from seeing his mom/aunt/grandfather fight he probably has open palm strikes in his fighting style.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you'd think every ninja would be taught some form of martial arts, but nope.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

He didn't use a Hyuuga technique, but obviously from seeing his mom/aunt/grandfather fight he probably has open palm strikes in his fighting style.

Fair point, though you'd think that, since Naruto was busy being Hokage, Hinata probably would have at least trained him somewhat.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 1, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Fair, though you'd think that since Naruto was busy being Hokage Hinata probably would have at least trained him somewhat.

he also has a grandpa and an aunt who would fuckin' jump at the chance to train him.

it'd be neat but everyone including kishi tends to forget bort is supposed to be a hyuga.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

Fair, though you'd think that since Naruto was busy being Hokage Hinata probably would have at least trained him somewhat.

You'd think, but then his skillset wouldn't be a copy of naruto's, and then where would we be?!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He doesn't have the eyes, he clearly has palm strikes implemented in his fighting style(used them in the movie, and manga IIRC).

They mentioned Himawari working with Hanabi and Hiashi after she awakened the Byakugan IIRC(when Boruto went to the Hyuuga compound).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Boruto explicitly uses the Gentle Fist fighting style he just doesn't have a Byakugan to let him do the chakra shut down stuff with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

Boruto explicitly uses the Gentle Fist fighting style he just doesn't have a Byakugan to let him do the chakra shut down stuff with it.

Well he appeared to have half of one at one point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nah his eye isn't a Byakugan it's some other thing that hasn't been explained.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
It's called the Borutogan.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The more I watch this series the more I wonder why for so long clans stuck to themselves and there were BARELY any cross-overs between them creating more hybrid children like Boruto that had two different clans main abilities.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Probably because even within the same village, a lot of clans didn't really trust each other. Also, I think the Hyuuga in particular thought they needed to keep their bloodline pure for their children to get the byakugan at all.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Hyuuga fit half of their family with magical seals that would mind rape them to death and burn their eyes out to make sure nobody could steal them.

Being violently secretive was kind of everyone's THING. The fact that the Yamanaka and Akemchi Hidden Jutsu are just casually being taught to the children of mixed clan marriages was one of the biggest signs that everyone has finally learned to chill the gently caress out under the guiding light of ninja Jesus.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

The Hyuuga fit half of their family with magical seals that would mind rape them to death and burn their eyes out to make sure nobody could steal them.

Being violently secretive was kind of everyone's THING. The fact that the Yamanaka and Akemchi Hidden Jutsu are just casually being taught to the children of mixed clan marriages was one of the biggest signs that everyone has finally learned to chill the gently caress out under the guiding light of ninja Jesus.

Yeah, I'm guessing Naruto did away with that tradition pretty soon after becoming Hokage (if it hadn't been abolished beforehand that is). Though in regards to the second point, have we seen Inojin use any techniques from his mom's side of the family yet? Usually whenever we see him fight he tends to borrow from Sai's playbook instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It was abolished when neither Hinata or Hanabi got a curse mark.