Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not to break up the suckfest, but I have a very strange question.
A soldier forces two Red Cross workers in a marked civilian vehicle, to take an injured local national child (not wounded through action, got hosed up in an accident) to the hospital at gunpoint. Is that a war crime?

why would someone have to hold the red cross at gunpoint to take an injured child to a hospital :psyduck:

pretty sure that constitutes a war crime but i'm not a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
did they tell you no or did you just think it would be more dramatic and cool that way?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I watched it happen years ago. It was required. They tried to say they weren't doctors, and had no obligation. Dude told them take the kid to the hospital, or he would shoot them in the face.
They took the kid.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not to break up the suckfest, but I have a very strange question.
A soldier forces two Red Cross workers in a marked civilian vehicle, to take an injured local national child (not wounded through action, got hosed up in an accident) to the hospital at gunpoint. Is that a war crime?

From a PAO perspective, this is horrible.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mustang, tell your situation to someone above you. It might work, no reason to not ask politely.

Also gently caress Red Cross workers for refusing but kinda band optics.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Vahakyla posted:

Mustang, tell your situation to someone above you. It might work, no reason to not ask politely.

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vahakyla posted:

It was someone above him that denied him. He probably spoke to the bottom line person on his leave request. I'm certain the response he got was "too loving bad" and it probably had to do with other officers with family wanting his block leave period.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My commander is the one that put me on this task as the required officer.

I have no motivation to do anything more than the bare minimum anymore. Pretty much the only week I was looking forward to this year.

I’m probably going to be a moody rear end in a top hat at work for the next few months

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Replace a few months with ‘the rest of your career’

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Definitely not career, I don’t have a wife or kids to worry about to make me want to stay in.

Don’t think I will anytime soon either, already had one relationship end because I was in the field too much or at work too long.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Baby I tried telling you it was me not you

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 2, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: your commander totally tasked you because you're single and he didn't want to take block leave away from someone with a family.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Soldier 24/7, hua?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All this has happened before and will happen again.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a LT in my unit started writing for the marine corps times just making GBS threads on our unit. It was fuckinig hilarious to watch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Shut the gently caress up, you know dick about poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Smoking cigarettes and having a dependapotomous pop out some babies are like THE two most important ways to sham in the Army.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: your commander totally tasked you because you're single and he didn't want to take block leave away from someone with a family.

This. I pulled a ton of weekend/holiday duty because I was smart enough not to marry a stripper.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Vahakyla and Mustang are the same dude trolling both ends of the spectrum.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I had a very smart, very bitter major who was sort of a supervisor for about a year while deployed. He had a propensity for long, unhinged rants about the workings of the army. He was also a balding, lumpy, ranger-tabbed infantry O-4 whose brigade refused to give him a real job after he finished doing infantry BN S3 AND XO time. Lastly, he had a wife in the brigade who was also a field grade officer.

His favorite rant, delivered whilst dainty snowflakes fell around our outpost in Wardak, precluding combat operations and ripening the air with the boredom of soldiers -- something this major could smell from miles away -- was about how the army hates dual-military spouses, and, by that logic, single people on active duty as well. They can't control you if you don't have a dependent, so they will gently caress you until you quit or have a dependent. When this major's wife got pregnant the army offered to let her quit the army. In fact they extend that offer to every female officer who has a kid. Want out? Here's your free pass. Sit at home all day, then go to Target and drown your loneliness in a plastic flood of baby poo poo you don't really need. Bug your husband. Break him. Make him weigh every work decision in terms of whether you'll be mad or just give a little sigh and say, "Okay honey." Make him beg his commander for holiday leave time, because then he'll be working til 9pm for months beforehand to "earn" it. Better yet, make him so miserable that he'd rather be at work til 9pm than go home and deal with your metastasizing, 100-calorie snack-pack devouring, Facebook Military Mom Group posting rear end.

The army wants this because a soldier with dependents who has been broken and can't afford to go to school, or take an income hit after separation, will give the army a full 20 years without protest or expectation of incentive. The army likes that.

Agnostic Jihad
Sep 17, 2007

Old school? New school?
Shit, I didn't go to school.
I’m clearing and CIF doesn’t have any time available until after my terminal leave starts. S-4 can’t clear me until CIF does. S-1 can’t sign anything until S-4 is done. Aaaaaand I can’t do my final out until my unit is done with me. My unit and final out appointment are 90 minutes apart.

To summarize, is there anything that makes CIF not terrible?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Agnostic Jihad posted:

I’m clearing and CIF doesn’t have any time available until after my terminal leave starts. S-4 can’t clear me until CIF does. S-1 can’t sign anything until S-4 is done. Aaaaaand I can’t do my final out until my unit is done with me. My unit and final out appointment are 90 minutes apart.

To summarize, is there anything that makes CIF not terrible?

Laughing at the people who are still in and dealing with CIF.

That's all I got.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
CIF "doesn't have time?" gently caress that. They have posted hours just like everyone else; show up and make them take their poo poo back.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Shut the gently caress up, you know dick about poo poo.

I'll be sure to run it by you next time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My final run with CIF at Benning was painless, in stark contrast through literally every other time.

There I also met an E4 from ranger batt who was so gently caress the army it was amazing. The fucker looked like Captain America and he hadn't even deployed because for 4 years they had him doing details at the Infantry museum, presumably because he looked like Captain America.

Agnostic Jihad
Sep 17, 2007

Old school? New school?

Naked Bear posted:

CIF "doesn't have time?" gently caress that. They have posted hours just like everyone else; show up and make them take their poo poo back.

Ft. Carson CIF requires an appointment apparently. Even though when I was there the other day, bitch was empty.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sorry, Mustang. Been in that poo poo before back in my early years. The Army tends to do it as a habit, sad to say.

The largest problem is when senior NCOs and officers start their 'back in my day' mentality. They think that the Army has gone soft and that the only way to fix it is to drag people through the suck for no reason other than 'suck it up'.

Times change. Culture changes. The Army is not immune to that, and forcing units to go through LFX for the third or fourth long weekend in a row isn't going to change it either.

I dont know where the idea of 'work your officers to 2000 every day to toughen them up' came from, but all I've seen it do is drive decent people out of the force and leave in the people who know how to skate the system and get friendly with the higher-ups.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

I dont know where the idea of 'work your officers to 2000 every day to toughen them up' came from,

West Point, if my old commander and his buddies were any indication

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

not caring here posted:

My final run with CIF at Benning was painless, in stark contrast through literally every other time.

There I also met an E4 from ranger batt who was so gently caress the army it was amazing. The fucker looked like Captain America and he hadn't even deployed because for 4 years they had him doing details at the Infantry museum, presumably because he looked like Captain America.

Yeah, mine too. I think I had 1 or 2 items that had to go get rewashed, but everything else was fine.

Don't be an idiot and let your TA-50 accumulate dust/dirt/bullshit. Wash it like a loving adult. Take the inserts out and just stick it in the washer.

edit: Also APPARENTLY quartermasters on post will clean your poo poo for you for either cheap or free.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I know that every base I've been to has a quartermaster where they will wash all your stuff, but you have to schedule it. Also, they put tags on it that says it's been cleaned by the QM and CIF can't turn it away.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This is loving beautiful.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Got an rear end-chewing today because we got bad info on a meeting.

Even worse, a new Cpt. In my shop ended up getting a worse rear end-chewing for my fuckup. I hate that poo poo, and now I feel like a scumbag because of it.

I want to vent but I'd probably get identified.

The Army defies logic.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

By this point I’m pretty sure letting poo poo roll down hill is just an Army tradition. Doesn’t matter if there’s extenuating circumstances for why X happened, this shits gotta roll!

It’s almost like the Army is fueled by rear end chewings

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

By this point I’m pretty sure letting poo poo roll down hill is just an Army tradition. Doesn’t matter if there’s extenuating circumstances for why X happened, this shits gotta roll!

It’s almost like the Army is fueled by rear end chewings

Counseling statements fuel the furnace of fuckery.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just got my orders for a compassionate reassignment OCONUS, gotta start clearing next week to get my wife command sponsored and poo poo for my report date in December. My 1SG expects me to clear a chapter out of the Army next week. LOL, ok bud. You better throw some Sergeant rank on one of those privates cause I got more important poo poo to give a gently caress about.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
You know when you're on a run, ruck, or hike and you start feeding off the misery of the guys who are sucking the most?

Some folks just can't turn it off.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Agnostic Jihad posted:

Ft. Carson CIF requires an appointment apparently. Even though when I was there the other day, bitch was empty.
I don't know if they do walk-ins every day, but it opens at 0730. Unless your senior Leadership, who will rename nameless, is trying to gently caress you and you don't have a first line to protect you from bullshit, get there immediately after accountability formation because the line forms up quickly.

Once inside, if most of your poo poo is good, the civilians taking back your gear will tell you to come back to them with the outstanding items without having to worry about lines. Or maybe I was lucky that day.

Steadfast and loyal (to singing that song after reveille and nothing else)

Agnostic Jihad
Sep 17, 2007

Old school? New school?

Bell_ posted:

I don't know if they do walk-ins every day, but it opens at 0730. Unless your senior Leadership, who will rename nameless, is trying to gently caress you and you don't have a first line to protect you from bullshit, get there immediately after accountability formation because the line forms up quickly.

Once inside, if most of your poo poo is good, the civilians taking back your gear will tell you to come back to them with the outstanding items without having to worry about lines. Or maybe I was lucky that day.

Steadfast and loyal (to singing that song after reveille and nothing else)

I had a chat with our S-4 NCOIC and she managed to get my appointment pushed up to tomorrow morning, so I should be good. As a bonus, every trip to Carson is an opportunity for Rudy's BBQ.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
When I was clearing, CIF bitched at me for not booking an appointment a month in advance and insisted that the only way I would be seen is if I had my CO call the head of CIF and ask if they could make room for me.

The actual clearing went pretty smoothly, but getting an appointment was a bitch and a half. I, too, was still clearing while I was on terminal leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I wish we had some goons that are civilian workers for CIF or something that can give insight as to why..... it is how it is exactly. They're all loving pricks and are rear end backwards to the point it might be on purpose.