Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need to assign a scientist to a ship to fly it around.

Did they actually say this is the case? If so then I guess you will just have to pay a few more minerals for your suicidal scouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Did they actually say this is the case? If so then I guess you will just have to pay a few more minerals for your suicidal scouts.

Well no they might require a scientist on board but you can by default build them and fly them around without a scientist in them, the reason I used corvettes was simply because they were cheap and you start with three of them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fellblade posted:

While they said there is currently no plan for how to solve the problem, an obvious answer would be to de-couple the mega-engineering tech from the DLC (leaving the existing megastructures as DLC only) and have it only apply to gates or something.
That would be the dumbest possible solution so I doubt they'll do it that way. But I guess I understand the concern now.

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need to assign a scientist to a ship to fly it around.
Apparently you do. At least to go into uncharted territory. They said on the stream the idea was you could still fly science ships all over, but you're actually risking a scientist and not a worthless corvette so it was more balanced.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not really a big fan of "only science ships can enter unexplored systems" but I also don't care too much about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Well no they might require a scientist on board but you can by default build them and fly them around without a scientist in them, the reason I used corvettes was simply because they were cheap and you start with three of them.

OK, I was assuming that "unexplored" means "not surveyed" because otherwise it's just changing what type of ship you scout with and who cares.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

OK, I was assuming that "unexplored" means "not surveyed" because otherwise it's just changing what type of ship you scout with and who cares.

Being able to find all nearby primitives and colonizable planets with my starter 3 corvettes is extremely good and can matter Quite A Lot depending on what flavor of genocidal maniac you are playing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The science ship thing is just an early game thing. Once your sensors reveal the next system (level 2) you'll auto scout the next node and can corvette scout.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Being able to find all nearby primitives and colonizable planets with my starter 3 corvettes is extremely good and can matter Quite A Lot depending on what flavor of genocidal maniac you are playing.

Yeah but if you don't have to survey then this change is just a speed bump to doing that because you have to build some new ships instead of using your starters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually kinda hate feeling forced to explore the entire drat galaxy with my 3 starting ships. I'll usually have the entire galaxy mapped by the time I've got my first colony. I'd much rather slowly explore with science ships.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I was going to say it seems like building an extra science ship to just scout for habitable worlds would be a strong start in the new version, but then I remembered that colonizing worlds is not how you expand borders anymore, so finding worlds in good locations isn't as vital anymore.

No more ignoring your three free nearby habitable worlds just because they won't expand your borders! I like the idea of having a solid well populated core and kind of having a less populated sprawling frontier over time. Before the game explicitly encouraged settling planets as far away as you could manage for the sake of claiming territory.

Man, it really is going to be a whole new game.

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah but if you don't have to survey then this change is just a speed bump to doing that because you have to build some new ships instead of using your starters.
You still need a scientist in the science ship to enter a greyed out unnamed system. And there's a chance there will be a monster waiting for you that will kill your scientist.

Exploration is risking a scientist until you get sensor level 2. That's a big change and I'm happy with it as corvette exploration was micro hell but I felt like I was shooting myself in the foot if I didn't do it to some extent. Now there's a real reason not to do it right off the bat.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How does planet cap / system cap interact with the new system ownership system? It looks like it's still there at 1/3 at the start. Also I wonder if sectors need to be contiguous anymore or you just assign them owned system.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So are we at least going to get some "terrain effects" that buff you instead of all being just debuffs? Cause if they're all just "X doesn't work properly in this system" then that's getting modded out too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"I do not accept this game design change! I do not accept this game design change!" I shout as I slowly mod myself into a corn cob.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

canepazzo posted:

How does planet cap / system cap interact with the new system ownership system? It looks like it's still there at 1/3 at the start. Also I wonder if sectors need to be contiguous anymore or you just assign them owned system.

Tier 0 stations can claim systems but offer no defenses and cost no upkeep and don't count towards your cap

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Shadowlyger posted:

So are we at least going to get some "terrain effects" that buff you instead of all being just debuffs? Cause if they're all just "X doesn't work properly in this system" then that's getting modded out too.

They're not debuffs they're mechanics changes. Nebulas hiding poo poo isn't always bad - they make for excellent rally points. Pulsars turning off shields isn't always bad either - throw a plasma fortress at a pulsar chokepoint and you're laughing at all those shield and anti-shield using scrubs.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Zore posted:

Tier 0 stations can claim systems but offer no defenses and cost no upkeep and don't count towards your cap

Yeah but what does the planet/system cap do then? Since colonies were used to claim systems - not anymore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

canepazzo posted:

Yeah but what does the planet/system cap do then? Since colonies were used to claim systems - not anymore.

How many developed stations you can have. You'll need a developed station to colonize in the system or have defenses.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

Presumably it's just a cap on core Colonies now; judging from the dev stream earlier it wasn't effected by plunking down outposts, so that seems most likely.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

They're not debuffs they're mechanics changes. Nebulas hiding poo poo isn't always bad - they make for excellent rally points. Pulsars turning off shields isn't always bad either - throw a plasma fortress at a pulsar chokepoint and you're laughing at all those shield and anti-shield using scrubs.

They're debuffs, call em what they are.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

canepazzo posted:

The way it's been explained so far, colonies and system caps work exactly the same but the planet no longer claims the system. Presumably, taking a system as a result of war will give you the planets as well as the outpost located there.

Zore posted:

How many developed stations you can have. You'll need a developed station to colonize in the system or have defenses.

I thought fortress cap was separate from system cap, did I miss something?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

You can colonize with just an outpost in the system and you can even build basic defenses.

There's a starbase limit for advanced starbases and apparently still a system limit for systems with planets in them.

Presumably it's just that- a limit to how many systems with planets you can have before you have to put them in sectors. I don't see why that would be different.

I do wonder how new starbases will interact with sectors though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Since they aren't, that's not possible. Sorry.

(Seriously, the pulsar for example is a giant buff to armor and anti-armor weapons. Someone using those will surely feel the heat of this "debuff" as his enemies are literally melting in his plasma-fire.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Not... really. They're home field advantage. Do you think that cover in company of heroes is a debuff because it makes shooting into it less accurate?

If you know a system blocks shields you build a full armour defence fort in that system and it works better than generalist designs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So re: only science ships can enter unscouted systems, do they need to fully survey the system before they can go farther? If not, then the three corvettes scouting the entire galaxy just turns into building a science ship to shift+right click > move every star in the galaxy with. Sure, it's a bit more punishing to lose it because of the higher mineral cost and leader influence, but not so punishing as to outweigh the benefits of having scouted the entire galaxy by year 20.

Maybe make it so that you have to "discover" via survey hyperlanes leading out of systems like in Aurora/Starfire/whatever?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wiz posted:

Most people's games don't end before 2400, and people having impossible to beat crises dropped on them in 2350 was a huge issue when 1.8 came out. A slider was outside the scope of a hotfix, but will be added in the future.

What is your definition of "end"

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

Since they aren't, that's not possible. Sorry.

(Seriously, the pulsar for example is a giant buff to armor and anti-armor weapons. Someone using those will surely feel the heat of this "debuff" as his enemies are literally melting in his plasma-fire.)

All that does is force you to micro your way around the pulsar or go refit your entire fleet with plasma weapons of your own to kill it, and now you have control of the plasma-equipped pulsar fortress while you go refit your fleet again with weapons that don't suck against shields.

In other words, all it introduces is a shitload more micro.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Shadowlyger posted:

All that does is force you to micro your way around the pulsar or go refit your entire fleet with plasma weapons of your own to kill it, and now you have control of the plasma-equipped pulsar fortress while you go refit your fleet again with weapons that don't suck against shields.

In other words, all it introduces is a shitload more micro.

Are we just using "micro" to mean "thing I don't like" at this point?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That's all it's ever meant in this thread, honestly.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I opted to go for the genetic engineering path in my current playthrough, and I'm finding it kind of underwhelming. I'm wondering if it's kind of meh, or if I'm just playing wrong. The special traits you get at the end are nice, but don't feel as game-changing as, say, turning everyone in robots or being able to access the Shroud. Being able to specialize my people so I could have a bunch of nerve-stapled miners would be nice, but it seems like that would require an ungodly amount of micromanaging to put them on the correct tiles and shift them between planets, and at the end of the day it's easier to just use robots, since I can determine exactly where they go.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

life micro is the worst

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

1) You can't micro around the pulsar fortress because it's the only way into your enemy's core worlds.... almost.... almost like that's intentionally the point of the overhauls :thunk:

2) Forcing your enemy to spend a bunch of resources and time refitting their entire fleet to kill one thing is kinda what the fortress is there for. Like, it's a deterrent that your enemy has to work hard and spend resources to overcome while you're loving their poo poo up elsewhere.

E: "God, why even have forts in EU4, all they do is make you micro a bunch of artillery into the province or try and micro your army around it."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

1) You can't micro around the pulsar fortress because it's the only way into your enemy's core worlds.... almost.... almost like that's intentionally the point of the overhauls :thunk:

And the point I'm making is that this is stupid. There shouldn't be choke points in loving space.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, war in the game sucks without them and like 95% of the community and obviously the dev team agree with me on that so :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

And the point I'm making is that this is stupid. There shouldn't be choke points in loving space.

There also shouldn’t be FTL but :shrug:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

You are completely correct from a technical standpoint. However, Stellaris is not a hardcore spacesim, it is an empire building game that happens to be a space opera, and it takes place on an incredibly small timescale if we're talking realistic interstellar warfare and features FTL travel, and most importantly, is a video game, so you're completely wrong from every standpoint that actually matters.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 2, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For the sake of realism I've modded Stellaris to remove FTL travel options from the game.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah at the end of the day I'm playing sentient mushroom space wizards flying at FTL speeds around a "galaxy" that has all of 800 stars. This isn't exactly diamond-hard sci-fi, it's space opera and it's supposed to be fun above all. If you must, just make up some technobabble about physics only allowing for hyperlanes and boom, when you don't want to fly at sublight speeds for 20k years now chokepoints make sense.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's correct there should not be choke points in space, obviously there aren't! But in order to violate physics to travel faster than light the science of hyperlanes was discovered based on the gravity wells of solar systems. Of course you're free to travel anywhere you want without using a hyper lane, but it would take beyond the timeframe of the game to do so. Sure, go sub-light to avoid a hyperlane choke point but it will take you 400 years.

There, now it makes sense within the scope of the game world.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shadowlyger posted:

My god you're right, we must act to excise all elements of the game that are an affront to realism at once!

*throws entire game in the trash*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Counterpoint: There should be because it's fun.

• Locked thread