Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:unsmith:

I wanna see what happens when you use the pillow as a shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, we got our lucky quarter, sounds like.

Best not to put it in our pocket. Then it would just be another coin, which is, of course, what it is.

We aren't afraid of no dark

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
A pillow shield sounds hilariously ineffective.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Pillow Defense!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The knife floats toward you and Robin. Quickly, you grab the needlepoint pillow. You hold it in front of you like a shield.

Are you crazy? You're going to use that pillow? The one Robin's mother lovingly needlepointed for him? The one that took her seventy-four hours of finger-aching work to complete? You're using it to block an attack from a flying knife?

Oh, dear. We're talking serious bad judgement here.

The pillow, of course, is ripped to shreds. But that's just the beginning. Just the first of many bad decisions you make in your life. For instance:

A few weeks later, you're at a picnic. You drop a blueberry muffin onto a big red anthill. The fire ants swarm all over the muffin. You decide to pick it up and eat it anyway.

Your mother gives you a hundred dollars for your birthday. A beggar asks you for a quarter, but you don't have any change. You tear off a piece of the hundred-dollar bill and give it to him instead.

When you grow up, you win a TV game show. The prize is a new car! But the car is blue, and you hate the color. So you say "No thanks," and give it back.

See the problem? Of course none of this will happen - if you can learn how to choose more carefully.

After telling you off, the book proceeds as if you had chosen to attack the ghost with the bat.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
But I Refuse: Turned down the ghost-boy's offer both times.

Our options posted:

• Run outside.
  • Follow the ghost.
  • Face the ghost alone.
  • Say we aren't afraid of the dark.
  • Say the eyes belong to a Lanx.
  • Accept the ghost's offer.
  • Accept the ghost's second offer.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

haha what the gently caress

We ain't afraid of no dark

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i like this book!

what's a lanx anyway? isn't that one of the bits in your throat?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Lanx time!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

What's a lanx? Does it have a funny face?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Lanx

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Robin," you whisper, "I hate to tell you this, but we're hiding under the sink with a Lanx."

"A what?" Robin asks.

"A Lanx! A Lanx!" You are practically shouting. "It's like a Grool, but worse!"

Robin stares at you. Then he shakes his head. "You are getting too weird. Even for me."

"It looks like a potato," you continue, "but it has really sharp teeth!" You have to make Robin believe you! You are in terrible danger.

"That's it," Robin says. He pops open the cabinet door. "Fun's over. You know," he adds as he crawls out from under the sink, "I didn't really believe your ghost story, either. I was just playing along."

You gaze sadly at Robin as he heads out of the kitchen. You have a feeling you've just lost your best friend.

"Heh heh heh," you hear behind you.

You glance at the glowing eyes. They look even brighter than before.

You thought being followed home by a ghost was a problem. Wait until you try living with a Lanx!

"Heh heh heh."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Wound up stuck dealing with both a ghost and a Lanx.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run outside.
  • Follow the ghost.
  • Face the ghost alone.
  • Say we aren't afraid of the dark.
  • Accept the ghost's offer.
  • Accept the ghost's second offer.

GOOSEBUMPS LORE

The Grool and the Lanx are both monsters from It Came from Beneath the Sink - the former being the subject of the book, and the latter appearing in the requisite twist ending. The Grool is a small creature resembling a sponge with beady eyes and a distinctive laugh. It possesses the power to inflict bad luck on its "owner", allowing it to feed on their negative emotions. Should the owner lose possession of the Grool by any means, they have approximately 24 hours to recover it before it inflicts the ultimate misfortune on them: death. Luckily, it can be weakened and even killed if its owner shows it love instead of hatred.

Little is known of the Lanx; only that it takes the form of a fanged potato, drinks the blood of its victims, and has the same signature laugh as the Grool.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Wildly different path: Run outside

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Accept the ghost's second offer

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Follow the ghost lady.
Also I forgot how some of the Goosebumps books went from okay villains to evil sponge and potato.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for running outside, taking the second offer, or following the ghost lady takes it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You say Run.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Uh, I'm g-going out-outside," you stutter.

"That's nice," your grandmother says, returning to her baking. "And when you come back in, I hope you'll stop being so silly."

She still doesn't notice the ghost in the doorway.

You back up toward the door to the porch. You keep your eye on the ghost the whole time. And she keeps her glowing eyes on you. As soon as your hand reaches the doorknob behind you, you turn, fling open the door, and bolt.

But just as you start down the back porch steps, two hands grab your ankle.

"Aaaahhhh!" you cry as you trip. You sprawl headfirst down the stairs.

quote:

OUCH.

You land facedown at the bottom of the steps.

Good thing it wasn't a long flight of stairs. You're only bruised and scratched. You scraped your chin, but nothing's broken.

"Ha, ha, ha!" you hear a boy's voice say.

You turn toward the voice. You want to see the jerk who made you trip.

Hey - wait a minute.

There is no jerk behind you. You blink to be sure.

Yup. You're sure.

There's absolutely no one standing at the top of the stairs! Or anywhere else!

quote:

"Ha, ha," the boy's voice taunts again.

"Gotcha!" a girl's voice joins in.

Right in front of your amazed eyes, a boy and a girl slowly begin to materialize.

When they finally take shape, you can see that they're teenagers. But teenagers from a long time ago. The boy is dresses in a funny-looking black suit with a frilly white shirt and shiny black shoes. The girl is wearing a long, old-fashioned white linen dress. Her hair is braided and the braids are wrapped around her head three times.

The boy and girl look almost solid - but not quite. You can see right through them.

"Boo!" they shout at the same time. Then they double over with hysterical laughter.

Your heart is still pounding wildly.

Is this really happening? Or are you dreaming?

There's only one way to find out. Pinch yourself.

If it hurts, turn to PAGE 53.

If it doesn't, turn to PAGE 60.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Wound up stuck dealing with both a ghost and a Lanx.

Achievements

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
It doesn't

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It was all a dream...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't feel a thing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I bet the 'you don't feel it' path is because you actually did die falling down the stairs and now you're a ghost

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I try to focus on the pain, the only thing that's real

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nothing hurts me, for I have capped Defense

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Leraika posted:

I bet the 'you don't feel it' path is because you actually did die falling down the stairs and now you're a ghost

...okay, now I need to know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pain don't hurt

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I pinched myself today, to see if I still feel. I focus on the ghost, the only thing that's real.

(it doesn't hurt)

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You didn't feel that?

Uh-oh. Pinch again.

Nothing?

You've obviously fallen asleep while reading this book! You've gone bye-bye. To dreamland. You're probably snoring, too.

The thing is, in your dreams you'll probably be able to handle these ghosts.

But in real life? Well... that's a different story.

So go ahead. Snooze on. Enjoy it.

We'll see how well you survive - when you wake up!

quote:

No doubt about it. You are definitely awake. This is really happening. Which means you are face-to-face with two teenage ghosts.

You stand up and brush yourself off.

"Who are you?" you ask, trying not to let your voice tremble. "What do you want? What are you doing here?"

"I'm Jane Luckmeyer," the girl ghost says. "And this is my dearly beloved twin brother, John."

John bows deeply. Then he sticks out his tongue.

"Oh, John," Jane cries. "This will be so much fun!"

"Yes, dear sister," John answers. "We haven't had anyone to torment in ages."

"An eternity!" Jane agrees. "But I've spent the time thinking of ever more horrible tricks and tortures."

You don't like the sound of that! Could these two creeps have something to do with the creeping coffins?

"Tell me something," you say, hoping you sound casual. "Why have the coffins been moving around?"

But the twins don't answer you. Instead, they cackle horribly and grin at you.

quote:

The Luckmeyer twins float down the steps toward you. And they both have an evil glint in their eyes.

Uh-oh. These two spell trouble. Double trouble.

Run! you tell yourself. But which way?

If you run away from them, you'll be running straight toward the graveyard.

But your only way back into the house is by getting past the Luckmeyer twins first. They're floating closer and closer to you - and John is hiding something behind his back.

You freeze. You can't decide what to do. You know John is up to something. And you know you'd better not stick around to find out what it is! But which way should you go?

Don't think! Run!

If you run toward the graveyard, turn to PAGE 93.

If you try to slip past the twins and back into the house, turn to PAGE 108.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Trick the ghosts!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh is that another redirect to the actual progression answer, like the pillow thing? Weird they'd do it twice in one book.

Can't easily bold on my phone but: let's trick some ghosts!

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
run to the graveyard the way these books go we'll probably find another ghost to fight them.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Slip past the twins

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

AweStriker posted:

Trick the ghosts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3C-FrmHn44

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You run up the steps, darting sideways to get past John.

But he grabs you with one hand. Whoa! For a see-through guy, John is strong! In his other hand he dangles a ghostly snake before your eyes.

YIKES! The snake hisses in your face. Its fangs drip ghostly poison.

John and Jane laugh at your terrified expression. John shoves the hissing snake into your face again. It's tongue darts in and out between its razor sharp fangs.

Can a ghost snake hurt you? The pain where John is clutching your arm makes you think it probably can!

You swallow hard and lurch away from him. Luckily, he and Jane don't try to follow.

With a yank, you pull open your grandmother's kitchen door.

YIKES, AGAIN! That other ghost - Elvira - is standing right there!

"So you came back," she snarls. "You may regret that!"

She turns and floats into the hall. Then she floats up the stairs.

Toward your room.

quote:

You follow Elvira to your room on the second floor. The moment you step into the bedroom, she slams the door.

Then she whirls around to face you. Her eyes turn green and begin to glow.

You back up, stumbling, and fall onto the bed.

"You little wretch," she says. "I don't want any trouble from you!" Sparks seem to fly from her flashing green eyes. You shrink back into the pillows.

Then Elvira gazes around the room. "Yes, yes," she says. "This will do nicely."

"Wh-what do you mean?" you stammer.

Elvira floats toward the bed. She hovers over you. "I'm taking over this room, now," she tells you. "Get out!"

You would love to leave, but you are shaking too hard to get up. Besides, you have to find out what's going on! Elvira is the only one who can explain it to you.

"Please," you beg, "just tell me why you are here. And why are the graves moving?"

"Shut up!" she screeches. "And get off that bed. I want to lie down! I haven't slept in a bed in fifty-one years!"

Uh-oh, you realize. You aren't just dealing with a ghost here. You're dealing with a ghost in a very bad mood!

quote:

You jump down from the bed.

Elvira lies down, neatly spreading her white satin dress on the covers. Her long red hair fans out across the pillow.

"Ahhhh," she sighs. "A real bed." She shuts her eyes.

You hope she doesn't sleep too long. You have so many questions to ask. And you hope she'll be in a better mood when she wakes up!

She dozes for exactly two minutes. Then her eyes pop open. You notice they aren't glowing green anymore.

"Ah," Elvira says. "That's better."

Now that she's awake, you're not sure how to begin. You're almost too freaked out to speak. But you have to know! "Why are the graves moving?" you ask. "What's going on?"

"It's the curse of the creeping coffins," the ghostly woman answers. "And we're moving into this house. All of us."

All of us?

Gulp.

What does that mean?

quote:

"Wha-what do you mean, all of you?" you manage to stammer.

"You ask too many questions!" Uh-oh. Elvira's eyes flash green again. "Don't get in our way and maybe we will let you live."

She soars up over your head and glares down at you. "And don't you go talking to that ghost-hunter MacFarling, either!" Elvira adds.

In the next instant, she floats backward and disappears into the wall.

MacFarling? A ghost-hunter?

You are startled by loud clumping footsteps above you. You glance up at the ceiling. The light fixture is shaking. It sounds as if a whole crowd wearing clunky boots is stomping around in the attic.

Who could it be?

If you want to find out about MacFarling, turn to PAGE 16.

If you want to find out who's in the attic, turn to PAGE 85.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

An invisible dame is sleeping in my bed. Who you gonna call?

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
I know who's in the attic, it's another ghost, duh. MacFarling

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Let's bust some ghosts.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Time to call MacFarling.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

A ghost-hunter. That is exactly what you need!

But how are you going to find this MacFarling guy?

You dash out of your room and run downstairs as fast as you can. You rush back into the kitchen.

"Grandma," you gasp, almost out of breath. "Do you know someone named MacFarling?"

"Oh, don't go talking to me about Mac Macfarling," she says. "That loon. He came around here last month. Told me he thought my house would be haunted soon. Said something about a curse, too. Can you imagine that? I don't want you going anywhere near that man."

Uh, let's face it. Granny's not going to be much help.

So you race into the hall where she keeps her telephone books. You flip through the yellow pages. On a hunch, you look up "Ghosts."

Bingo! There he is - under "Ghost Exterminations."

Mac MacFarling. Ghost-hunter. There may be hope after all.

As long as you can get out of the house before Elvira finds out what you're doing!

quote:

Luckily, everything in your grandma's small town is within biking distance. Twenty minutes later, you've biked over to Mac MacFarling's office. Which happens to be located in his garage.

You knock on the side door of the garage.

"Come in!" a voice calls. You yank open the door.

Wow! you think when you see him.

Mac MacFarling has frizzy, kinky blond hair sticking out all over his head. He's wearing six earrings, a nose ring, and a pair of heavy black-framed glasses with blue lenses in them. He's about 20 years old.

So that's why your grandma didn't like him.

He's cool!

"What's up?" MacFarling asks. "You look like you've just seen a ghost." He laughs. "Sorry. Just a little ghost-hunting humor."

You explain about Elvira, and that she told you the ghosts are going to take over your grandmother's house.

"I've been expecting this," MacFarling says, shaking his head. "I tried to warn your grandmother."

"Can you help us?" you plead. His eyes are hidden behind the blue lenses. You can't tell what he's thinking.

Will Mac MacFarling help you?

quote:

Suddenly, MacFarling swings into gear. He picks up a strange electronic box and heads for the door. "Come on," he says. "We've got to hurry. Let's go!"

Finally - someone who can help you! You feel better already.

MacFarling jumps into his car - an old VW Bug. You hop on your bike. As you ride to your grandmother's house, he drives along beside you. He rolls down the window and talks to you the whole time.

"Have the gravestones been moving around?" he asks.

"Yes!" you exclaim. So, you're not crazy! "Why are they doing that?"

"I'm not sure," he says. "I've only seen it once before. But I think they're moving into position to spell out some kind of message - or curse."

Graves can spell? That doesn't sound possible. But you're ready to believe anything now. "How can we stop them?" you ask Mac.

"It won't be easy," he tells you.

You were afraid of that.

quote:

"First," MacFarling explains, "you'll have to fight the Keeper of the Sword. That's one of the ghosts. You need to get the special sword - and use it to stop the MPG."

"What's the MPG?" you ask.

"The Most Powerful Ghost," MacFarling says. "It's a term for the spirit who has control over a graveyard."

"Once you have the sword," Mac continues, "you must plunge it into the grave of the MPG. But you've got to hurry! Because when all the graves have moved into position and spell out the message - it'll be too late! The curse will be complete. And after that, you'll never be able to get the ghosts back into their graves."

Your head is spinning from what Mac just told you. But you nod as if you understand.

You've arrived at your grandmother's house. MacFarling stops his car and hops out. You get off your bike and park it. MacFarling faces your grandmother's house and switches on the funky electronic box he's carrying. Red dials light up. Then you hear a loud beeping sound.

"Uh-oh," MacFarling says. "Major trouble. Give me a dollar."

If you give MacFarling a dollar, turn to PAGE 57.

If you refuse to give him money, turn to PAGE 74.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If Reigen Arataka asked me for a dollar, I'd give it to him.

On the other hand, spending the dollar now may mean we can't use the money to buy a better exorcist. Like Reigen.

...give him the dollar

I'm pretty sure Spirits and Such hasn't opened yet, so we have to deal as best we can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

give the man a dollar