Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

good lord i still get goosebumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

IDK if his attitude changed over time but Enzo initially considered the road car sales to be a necessary distraction to fund his sportscar and F1 teams. IIRC someone said he hated all Ferrari customers.

He apparently was really opposed to the idea of building a mid engined street car as he thought it would be too dangerous. Pretty sure the Dino was the first one offered so that undoubtly would've been either Fiat's own idea or due to their pressure.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

IDK if his attitude changed over time but Enzo initially considered the road car sales to be a necessary distraction to fund his sportscar and F1 teams. IIRC someone said he hated all Ferrari customers.

(basically the complete opposite of Lambo, who considered motorsport to be a complete waste of time and money, which, to be fair, is pretty much true)

Was Lamborghini (the man) still alive during the F1 venture? Because if so lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Was Lamborghini (the man) still alive during the F1 venture? Because if so lol.

Yes but he had sold the company and was retired by then.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Right right that seemed like a push by Chrysler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One of many hilarious attempts by Chrysler to get an image as a world-class luxury car maker, but nothing is as hilarious as the Chryslerati TC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chrysler's whole history of dabbling with italian carmakers is really loving bizarre.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"I think the Chrysler LeBaron is good enough that we can slap a Maserati badge on it and compete with high-end Mercedes cars" - Some Dipshit At Chrysler, Probably

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That dipshit was Lee Iacocca.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

That dipshit was Lee Iacocca.

quote:

In 1985, Lee Iacocca stated that the planned "Q-coupe" would be the prettiest Italian to arrive stateside since his mother immigrated.
Lmao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nobody is seriously considering a split it's all theater for the initial bargaining for the new engine regs.

Remember this starting in 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
"I want to gently caress my mother" - Lee Iacocca

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's kind of sad because way back in the day the Chrysler Imperial was legitimately a contender with the Lincoln Continental and the Cadillac Eldorado.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing says “Italian luxury-performance” like a worked over K-Car powered by an engine from a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nothing says “Italian luxury-performance” like a worked over K-Car powered by and engine from a Mitsubishi Pajero.

the wheels were from noted F1 wheel supplier and inexplicable racing team Fondmetal to be fair

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(basically the complete opposite of Lambo, who considered motorsport to be a complete waste of time and money, which, to be fair, is pretty much true)

If I recall right (read: I'm probably wrong here), it was because Ferraris had become a status symbol that no one really used the way they should have been in that people would push once just to say they pushed it instead of a sports car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fondmetal (the wheels and team) kicked rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it actually wasn't a terrible car but does anyone remember the Cadillac Allante, which was built in Italy by Pininfarina and cost $55K in loving 1989 dollars (it was meant to compete with the S-class Mercs and Jag XJS)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The more shocking thing is the original Mustang was Lee's idea and he got fired at Ford then immediately started slinging K cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was so expensive because of its stupid production line.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My first car was a K car. I sort of miss bench seats to this day.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it actually wasn't a terrible car but does anyone remember the Cadillac Allante, which was built in Italy by Pininfarina and cost $55K in loving 1989 dollars (it was meant to compete with the S-class Mercs and Jag XJS)

Was that the one built on a sedan platform so it had a giant loving back end that went on forever?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lee unleashed the mini van on the world :gonk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best bad GM car is the Caddy Cimarron

PHWOAR this definitely isn't a lovely attempt to turn a Chevy Cavalier into a luxury car somehow

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cadillac made some really loving stupid decisions in the late 70s/80s because of the rising popularity of BMW and Mercedes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think if you show up to a Caddy owner's club meeting with a Cimarron you are shot dead by rule.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Was that the one built on a sedan platform so it had a giant loving back end that went on forever?

I think it was bespoke. But still FWD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's legitimately loving amazing the American car industry survived long enough to release the Ford Taurus

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My favorite one was when they were building the Seville to compete with the S class Opel actually went to them and said "We built this S class competitor, you just have to retrim it for American markets" and the Americans just said "Nah gently caress it" built their own design and it sold like poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When Honda(Good Honda, not current Honda) needed a compact luxury car they at least made it look way different from the Civic it was based on.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think if you show up to a Caddy owner's club meeting with a Cimarron you are shot dead by rule.

If you are a member of a Caddy club you are probably old enough for death to be a blessing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Lee unleashed the mini van on the world :gonk:

I like minivans because they always have inexplicably big engines which make freeway driving surprisingly a breeze.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Caddy Cimarron vs Caddy Catera.

Go

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like minivans because they always have inexplicably big engines which make freeway driving surprisingly a breeze.

I don't because they ended up killing off station wagons and fostered the seed that would become CUVs

:ironicat: seeing that I technically drive a CUV

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

When Honda(Good Honda, not current Honda) needed a compact luxury car they at least made it look way different from the Civic it was based on.

They actually teamed up with Rover which in retrospect is really loving funny.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Same here. Although it’s actually debatable whether Chrysler was the first to build a minivan. I’d probably say it was VW or Chevrolet (Corvair Greenbrier)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Caddy Cimarron vs Caddy Catera.

Go

The '97 Holden Commodore wasn't a terrible car but they should have sold it as a Pontiac instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

They actually teamed up with Rover which in retrospect is really loving funny.

oh man, Sterling. Nobody in the US had any loving clue how those things were supposed to be sold.

I actually saw a Sterling for sale and they're actually pretty reliable and easy to keep in service since there are a shitload of old Acura Legend parts on the market

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm pretty sure the 1st Gen K car ones were absolute poo poo cause it was a dinky little unibody design that they had to stretch out to the size of a van because they had no cash at the time. They got way better as time went on.

That said I'm not a fan of the minivan and wish they still made poo poo like the Astro or Aerostar, although most SUVs look like that anyways these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Iacocca also was responsible for killing Imperial. The final coupe from 81-83 also has the distinction of being one of the worst NASCAR cars ever.

• Locked thread