Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Ehh, prog in general has lovely lyrics and meticulous music. I'm not too worried about Steven Wilson's inconsistency there. Honestly, if I listened to music for the lyrics, I certainly wouldn't be listening to prog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I’ve always thought that Jethro Tull had the best lyrics of the classic prog bands. Ian Anderson is a great songwriter. But yeah lyrics aren’t that important to the genre.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think it bothers me more with SW because he can write some pretty good lyrics when he tries, and his bad lyrics tend to sound like an old hippy ranting about modern life.

King Crimson, Haken and Riverside have generally good lyrics IMO.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Don't forget VdGG! I always felt the lyrics were important and give many of their songs an emotional weight not often achieved in prog. Half of that might be Peter Hammil's expressive voice though... (and there are still some goofy songs like Necromancer).

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Peter Gabriel posted:

They called me the Reverend when I entered the Church unstained;
My employers have changed but the name has remained
It all began when I went on a tour
Hoping to find some furniture
Followed a sign saying "Beautiful Chest"
It led to a lady who showed me her best
She was taken by surprise when I quickly closed my eyes
So she rang the bell and quick as hell
Bob the Nob came out on his job
To see what the trouble was
"Louise, is the Reverend hard to please?"
"You're telling me!"
"Perhaps, sir, if it's not too late
We could interest you in our old-fashioned Staffordshire plate?"
"Oh no, not me, I'm a man of repute."
But the Devil caught hold of my soul and a voice called out "Shoot!"

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, prog lyricism is perfect.

(in all honesty the silliness of Gabriel's lyrics are half the appeal of Genesis for me, I wish there were more bands as aggressively whimsical)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

loose-fish posted:

Don't forget VdGG! I always felt the lyrics were important and give many of their songs an emotional weight not often achieved in prog. Half of that might be Peter Hammil's expressive voice though... (and there are still some goofy songs like Necromancer).

Peter Hammil emoting all over the place is cool.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

All those Henry Cow and Art Bears songs that are about the class struggle or whatever are badass

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

I think it bothers me more with SW because he can write some pretty good lyrics when he tries, and his bad lyrics tend to sound like an old hippy ranting about modern life.

Yeah lyrics really only matter to me at all if they’re extremely good or extremely bad, and Wilson’s bad ones are very much the latter. He’s a huge dork and it really shines through when he makes societal observations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Ehh, prog in general has lovely lyrics and meticulous music. I'm not too worried about Steven Wilson's inconsistency there. Honestly, if I listened to music for the lyrics, I certainly wouldn't be listening to prog.

Fair enough, but a whole bunch of SW songs aren’t really prog.

Also old Genesis lyrics are whimsical, weird and about a lot of fun stuff and that makes them very enjoyable.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

Also old Genesis lyrics are whimsical, weird and about a lot of fun stuff and that makes them very enjoyable.

HERACLEUM MANTEGAZZIANI

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I like 'Get 'em Out by Friday' with its pretty standard look at predatory landlords suddenly turning into a sci-fi dystopia where the poor are genetically shortened to cram more in right at the end of the song.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
VdGG lyrics are good, but Peter Hammill's solo lyrics are amazing. He may be my favourite rock lyricist of all time. The extremely expressive delivery probably has a lot to do with that though, I love that kind of poo poo.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Been on a big prog kick after dipping into and reading this thread. One question though: where are the songs with the lightsabers?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

il_cornuto posted:

i'll add nevermore. still hoping for a reunion one day. maybe i'll finally get to see them then - the first show they were meant to do here was cancelled for no apparent reason, and the second a couple of years was cancelled when the band split up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Neurosis posted:

i'll add nevermore.
Ah, yes, the band that penned lyrical gems like "the pigs order us to follow orders"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I remember I tried to get my high school English teacher to interpret Yes lyrics for me and she basically said "look, they were really on drugs and none of this makes sense".

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ingmar terdman posted:

Been on a big prog kick after dipping into and reading this thread. One question though: where are the songs with the lightsabers?

You could check out Arjen Lucassen's 'Star One' project he did which is all songs based on various sci-fi shows and films.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Has there ever been a consistent prog bad, except those one off bands from the 70s that made one album like Island?

I feel like a lot of modern proggers are. Every Echolyn album is great. Glass Hammer have dropped an excellent album nearly every year from 2000 on. Every single album I hear by The Tangent is about as good as every other one. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson are always in a pretty narrow band of quality.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I remember I tried to get my high school English teacher to interpret Yes lyrics for me and she basically said "look, they were really on drugs and none of this makes sense".
Isn't the problem with Yes that Jon Anderson basically saw his singing as another track to complement the instrumentals and just used whatever lyrics could fit?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

X_Toad posted:

Isn't the problem with Yes that Jon Anderson basically saw his singing as another track to complement the instrumentals and just used whatever lyrics could fit?

I know that's the case for Siberian Kathru, but i don't think it applies to all their songs.
Also i don't know if problem is the right word for it. It can work if done well. The whole Loveless album is like that, if I'm not mistaken.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In a way I'd argue that truly great lyrics would be wasted in a style of music that's so focused on complex composition and performance. You wouldn't notice them. Whereas in quiet folksy music the lyrics are half the point; it's more like a form of poetry.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

huh? lyrics can be part of a composition and are only wasted if they're not incorperated well into the composition. Same as with any instrument, really. That's often not the focus in prog rock, true, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Thick as a Brick, for example, does a good job of including lyrics in a complex song.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

huh? lyrics can be part of a composition and are only wasted if they're not incorperated well into the composition. Same as with any instrument, really. That's often not the focus in prog rock, true, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Thick as a Brick, for example, does a good job of including lyrics in a complex song.

Yeah but those lyrics are deliberately pompous and poking fun at the awkward lyrics of other prog bands

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Part of the reason yes is good is because Jon Anderson has a funny voice and sings nonsense words. Don't overthink this guys.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It doesn't even matter whose lyrics they are, such as in the case of Prince Rupert Awakes.

Jon Anderson was just born to sing nonsense.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The Mars Volta are the kings of "the vocal lines and cadence SOUND amazing but gently caress if any of it makes sense. "

Also, The Dixie Dregs are touring with their original lineup. Having said that, I don't know any Dixie Dregs songs. Any good recommendations to start (or should skipping them all be my best move?)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

The Mars Volta are the kings of "the vocal lines and cadence SOUND amazing but gently caress if any of it makes sense. "

Also, The Dixie Dregs are touring with their original lineup. Having said that, I don't know any Dixie Dregs songs. Any good recommendations to start (or should skipping them all be my best move?)

What If and Night of the Living Dregs are both good albums

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I know that's the case for Siberian Kathru, but i don't think it applies to all their songs.
Also i don't know if problem is the right word for it. It can work if done well. The whole Loveless album is like that, if I'm not mistaken.

Loveless is like that but it fits into that album's whole " i'm half asleep and hallucinating and also trapped inside a vacuum cleaner" thing

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the most lyrically concise song by Yes is Turn of the Century, partly because you can actually understand the narrative. Going for the One is a pretty underrated Yes album and I really do enjoy it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

In a way I'd argue that truly great lyrics would be wasted in a style of music that's so focused on complex composition and performance. You wouldn't notice them.

That is a silly argument. Opera and musical theater often involve more complex compositions and performances than prog or any other kind of rock music, and yet the lyrics are just as important to the audience as the music.

in the classic prog world I'd say Peter Sinfield wrote a lot of good lines

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 4, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vargatron posted:

I think the most lyrically concise song by Yes is Turn of the Century, partly because you can actually understand the narrative. Going for the One is a pretty underrated Yes album and I really do enjoy it.
I only really liked Awaken off of it before I saw that live tour that a few years back, but that got me relistening to it and realizing that every track on it was at least solid and most of them were actively good. Definitely agree with you that it's underrated.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
In terms of modern prog wankery, An Endless Sporadic is among the most intricate and pleasing listen I've found recently. Any good recommendations in the same vein?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I saw King Crimson last night, good god they melted my loving brain. So much growth since I saw them 3 years ago.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm digging the self-titled album by Valenor, but they don't seem to do much in the way of...anything? They have an abandoned facebook page and that's kind of it. It seems to be one-off project from the people involved.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Noise Machine posted:

I saw King Crimson last night, good god they melted my loving brain. So much growth since I saw them 3 years ago.

How many drummers are they up to now?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

How many drummers are they up to now?

They're actually only drummers now. Even Boppin' Bobby.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They're actually only drummers now. Even Boppin' Bobby.

As a drummer I'm all for this

As a guitarist I'm indifferent

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Home from IB Expo, I now love Isildurs Bane. Got to talk to Pete Hamill and thank him for his life work and shake his hand.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm currently listening to Steven Wilson's Boner Jams '17 and the talk of his lyrics earlier reminded me of the time I seriously angered a friend by saying that I thought that little video he put out like a decade ago where he shot iPods was actually funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm currently listening to Steven Wilson's Boner Jams '17 and the talk of his lyrics earlier reminded me of the time I seriously angered a friend by saying that I thought that little video he put out like a decade ago where he shot iPods was actually funny
The blowtorch bit would have been a cool thing to do just because, but it was pretty awful as a Shia LaBeouf-level makes u thinkpiece