Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Stephenls posted:

Cross-posted from the painting thread, though this is arguably off-topic. Mea culpa if this isn't allowed, Ettin.

This is incredible. And a little frightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

You say that like it's a negative.

I say it like I need it posted over a map of the Konor results yesterday.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Bee posted:

Looking it up it's a nice model, but man can I only see the "Jeb wins" pose.

The one and only thing Finecast had over metal was that you could mod the model easier. It was super easy to alter the Broodlord! stance and it made it look so much better.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The old broodlord is like a genestealer Arnie and it loving rules. :c00lbert:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My favourite interpretation of that model was a dude's posed on top of a pile of dead Termies painted up like the classic Space Hulk Bangels, PVA blood all over.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Oh yeah that rear end in a top hat, I love that model. That's the broodlord that usually wrecks my poo poo, it soloed a cataphractii squad once.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bonds0097 posted:

This is incredible. And a little frightening.

I just got so tired of making paint choices based on printed or online swatches. They suck. Now I can see what my paint colors really, actually are!

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I'm a new player since 8th edition. Explain to me like the idiot I am, why exactly are there so many bonuses to taking multiple detachments? It makes no sense to me. It is so good already to additional options, then you get to double dip on additional CP, and then triple dip on synergy of combining multiple spells/strategems/effects.

I don't have a problem with any of that to be honest. Options are cool and good. I just don't get why aren't there any benefits to a single detachment army, i.e. doubling your starting CP, being allowed to take additional points, guaranteed first turn, basically anything? Why provide additional incentives to the choice that is already best instead of giving them to the choice that needs help?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Depends on the army really. An army like space marines that relies heavily on auras doesn't do well if half is one chapter and half is the other so you have to double up on auras.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

Biel Tan Brigades 4 Lyfe

So I looked and yeah I misread a few things. Anyway I revised for 1,850 (coming in at 1,849). It's essentially 2 detachments, a Battalion and a Spearhead with the following:
Battallion Detachment - Biel-Tan
- Autarch w/ Faolchu's Wing - Warlord
- Skyrunner Farseer

- x5 Fire Dragons, Exarch
- Wave Serpent
- x5 Fire Dragons, Exarch
- Wave Serpent

- 4x5 Dire Avengers, Exarch
- 2x5 Rangers

- x7 Warp Spiders, Exarch
- x6 Warp Spiders, Exarch
- x3 Jetbikes, Shuriken Cannons

Spearhead Detachment - Biel-Tan
- Maugan Ra
- x3 Dark Reapers, Exarch
- x3 Dark Reapers, Exarch
- Fire Prism

It gives me 7 CP, a whole lot of re-rolling, and a lot of redundancy. Since I haven't played a single game in 8th and haven't played since... Adepticon a couple years ago I'm not sure how it'll play. What would be weaknesses to this army?

I see Maugan Ra hanging out with the Reapers giving both rerolls, the Rangers character sniping, the DA just trying to avoid being swept off objectives, the Wave Serpents and Prism Cloudstriking, with the Prism hanging out by the Autarch for the re-rolls, and the Farseer zooming around dooming things, while the Warp Spiders pick off flanking units or back field deep strikers via their own deep strike

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 3, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There kinda are - the more restrictive ones give more CPs. So if you can field a single brigade, you should, it’s better than three of the other ones. Even a Batallion alone is just as good as three others.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mugaaz posted:

I'm a new player since 8th edition. Explain to me like the idiot I am, why exactly are there so many bonuses to taking multiple detachments? It makes no sense to me. It is so good already to additional options, then you get to double dip on additional CP, and then triple dip on synergy of combining multiple spells/strategems/effects.

I don't have a problem with any of that to be honest. Options are cool and good. I just don't get why aren't there any benefits to a single detachment army, i.e. doubling your starting CP, being allowed to take additional points, guaranteed first turn, basically anything? Why provide additional incentives to the choice that is already best instead of giving them to the choice that needs help?

Do you mean single detachments, or single armies? Because those are two very different questions.

Multiple detachments are incentivized because of what Josh just said. They're basically a more modular version of force order charts, where you can fully commit to the balanced FOC (Brigade) and get get an unparalleled amount of CP for making a balanced breakfast. If you take less balanced groups, you can make up for that fewer CP with customization. You can forego the troop tax entirely and take a bunch of elite, fast attack, or heavy support detachments, although the 3 detachment limit for tournaments makes that a very risky idea. You can even focus on odd groupings like HQ units and superheavies, if you so desire, and those bring more than enough options to make up for the lack of CP. Basically, versatility in listmaking vs. versatility in battle.

If you mean making different armies, that's a trickier question. The benefit for staying single is that, while alliances are more flexible than ever, they are also very restricted. Genestealer Cult powers effect Genestealer Cult units, not Tyranid ones. Guardsman cannot go in Marine transports, and vice versa. Most stratagems are restricted to specific unit keywords, and more still to specific unit types, so they have no bleedover. There are a few blurred lines (ex, a Chaos stratagem that effects Cultists can effect Death Guard Cultists too), but for the most part soup lists are really more like salad lists. Bundled up, but clearly distinguishable.

Unfortunately, there is way less differentiation for different detachments of the same army but different subfaction. This means, for example, it can be more effective to take a forward detachment of ambushing Raven Guard, a solid defensive gunline of Ultramarines, and an assault group of White Scars than it is to take a single Chapter and roll with it. A lot of passive aura abilities are only for <Subfaction> units, as are transports, but with all detachments requiring an HQ or two and transports being on a one per unit basis, it is highly likely you'll have what you need regardless.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How powerful are Rangers and Scouts in this edition? The ability to target characters seems pretty significant but I'm not sure how the up-jumped number of wounds in this edition impacts that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Boon posted:

How powerful are Rangers and Scouts in this edition? The ability to target characters seems pretty significant but I'm not sure how the up-jumped number of wounds in this edition impacts that.

A few of them aren't very. One squad won't kill enough characters to be worth the effort. A lot of them can be pretty useful, except that the opportunity cost means you're going to be weaker somewhere else. (And if what you've made yourself weak at is vehicle/monster hunting you'll regret it.)

Still, there are a lot of aura characters on the board these days, and there will be even more as the various codexes pop. Being able to murderize a Guard Officer or Necron Cryptek before he does too much damage can be game changing. On the other hand, the bug characters can mostly be blown away by your heavy weapons, so the sniper tree's pretty worthless against them, so the whole thing is kinda opponent-based as well.

So IF you know you're facing someone whose leader's assassination would really hurt, and IF you take enough of them to matter, and IF you can do so without crippling yourself somewhere more important along the way THEN I'd say put 'em in. If not, though, I can't really recommend it.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I painted a mans. Just got done with Mortarion for my DG army. Been working on him slowly since his release. This is about as good as I can paint.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

Scouts need to be near Guilliman to truly deal out the mortal wounds, Guilliman needs to be murdering folk in melee, it just doesn’t really work in the end.

Also that Mortarian is beautiful 9.5/10 you killed it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PierreTheMime posted:

There’s a constant back and forth between known fleets, mostly just the Hive Mind mathhammering best combos for their next battle.

This is a fun way of looking at the 'nids :)

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is there just the one unified tyranid hivemind or is there a separate hivemind for each hivefleet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hamshot posted:

Is there just the one unified tyranid hivemind or is there a separate hivemind for each hivefleet?

One per fleet basically. And that's how fleets exist, a tendril of one fleet gets cut off from the main psychic range and naturally forms its own local hivemind from whatever is the strongest tyranid around, and then they grow from there.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Mugaaz posted:

I painted a mans. Just got done with Mortarion for my DG army. Been working on him slowly since his release. This is about as good as I can paint.

This is loving ridiculous. Great work. Don't let Shadowswords see him in games. You must protect your gross son.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mugaaz posted:

drat son. This is great! The colors are so clean and that green pops nicely. The transition on the wings as it gets closer to the veins is killer too.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Everything is amazing, but the wings are simply putrid.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I have a super dumb idea for a gimmick Eldar list.

Yncarne, Eldrad, Yvraine, Visarch, Seer Council x7, Spiritseer, all crammed into a Wave Serpent Party Bus.

10x Wraithblades in webway strike.

1x Wraithknight with sword and board.

Only two models on the table when the game starts, the WS and WK.

Wave Serpent starts the map behind the grossest LOS blocking cover as possible. It then flies directly behind the second grossest piece of cover and waits for turn two to deploy everything.

If T1 is won, Eldrad Fortunes the WK, if not, good luck son.

T2. Everyone jumps out of the party bus. Wraithguard step out of the webway. Spiritseer casts Quicken to move them 4' from the enemy, basically guaranteeing their charge. Seer Council stratagem for guaranteeing success on warlock/eldrad powers. The Warlocks cast Smite three times, auto-D6'ing every time. Almost certainly they kill something, Soulbursting for either an instant Singing Spear toss or a move into a critical charging position. Wraithknight jogs up and gets its charge off. Eldrad buffs as appropriate. Wraithblades charge. Seer council charges. Yncarne spawns. Insane alpha strike damage.

Guesstimate for alpha damage: 3d6 mortal wounds from warlocks, maybe another 1-3d6 from Yvraine/Eldrad. Wraithblades charge for 40x WS3 S6 AP-3 hits, and then Soulburst into someone/everyone else's faces. 7x singing spears for maybe 4d3 more damage. Whatever threshing the Wraithknight gets done.

Cross fingers that ridiculous alpha strike was sufficient to cripple enemy army.

Now that enormously squishy infantry/character core is revealed, Soulburst off their inevitable retaliation murder to make the cleanup really messy. After eating a full turn of anti-vehicle shooting the Wraithknight probably isn't looking very good at this point, and the Warlocks aren't going to be even half as scary on turn three, so it's all going to come down to the wraithblades and Yncarne for mop-up.

It's the sort of army that I think captures the real essence of 'glass cannon'. It's all about dropping a psychic nuke in the centre of the enemy formation and really, really hoping that's sufficient. I think it'll be hilarious to see it in play, and it only needs models I'll collect on my way to a proper army, and that's reason enough to do the drat thing.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Looking good, the only thing I’d wonder would be about cutting two warp spider models for a foot warlock to re-arrange to double battalion for delicious command points.

The way I found a similar-ish army to play out was that it effectively had two layers - a big bloodbath of aspect warrior squads lurking in cover half way up the board fighting over objectives and killing stuff, while my heavy weapon firebase sat at the back shooting at tanks. Your army looks like it should be pretty similar. I would imagine the farseer going with the frontline while the autarch stays with the firebase, though ymmv.if you can set up your front line right runes of witnessing should give you a brutal turn of shooting.

8th ed is exceptionally bloody - you should expect plenty of your units to die in all but the most one sided games, and that’s fine.

I would suggest that cloudstriking the wave serpents probably isn’t needed - they’re exceptionally resilient and can get up the board on their own. Keeping the prism in cloud strike so it doesn’t get alpha striked seems like a good idea though,

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Boon posted:

It was gone over above, but my experience has been that a little group of 5 snipers (which I kind of thought of as traditional) completely lacks punch, without insane luck you won't kill a character. So if you take them, try and get 10-20 in there. Just be aware of how much of your army is going into a form of firepower that is ONLY useful against characters, and those which aren't too tough or armoured at that. I've turned up with a vindicate before to find that my opponent brought Tyranids, and his models were either cheap infantry, or T8! If you bring a healthy dose of snipers in a take all comers list, just be aware there will be some games they won't have the right targets, or your opponent will have a building or vehicle he can hide behind, and you won't get much benefit from them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

One per fleet basically. And that's how fleets exist, a tendril of one fleet gets cut off from the main psychic range and naturally forms its own local hivemind from whatever is the strongest tyranid around, and then they grow from there.

There is only one singular Hivemind though. If a group is disconnected it falls back on the strongest synaptic creature enacting the Hivemind's will to the best of its ability, and if no synaptic creatures are around they go feral. Excessive time in feral mode leads to weird poo poo like the Ymgarl, but at the end of the day it's one entity directing things and experimenting.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Holy poo poo that Mortarion :stare: my breeches are brimmin'

I kinda wish they'd given his model beetle or fly wings though

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

... they did?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mugaaz posted:

That'll do ham. That'll do.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This popped up in my feed:

I wonder if this means Orks and Tau are next?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The fact that they didn't do Orks in Orktober is a loving travesty.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Bucnasti posted:

The fact that they didn't do Orks in Orktober is a loving travesty.

I'm more partial to januwaaaaghry.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Boon posted:

Snipers are pretty garbage, but scouts are awesome for move blocking and deployment tricks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Kult of Speed box is go.

Gonna buy the poo poo out of that box.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 3, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Kult of Speed box is go.

Looks like it's $179 and has some Warbikes, Battlewagon, Trukk, Nobz, Boyz, then something on a 40mm or 50mm base.

So ~$200 worth for what I was able to make out.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Tyranid unit preview: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/codex-tyranids-preview-units-nov-3gw-homepage-post-2/

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Snipers are pretty garbage, but scouts are awesome for move blocking and deployment tricks.

Same but Ratlings

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Kult of Speed box is go.

Gonna buy the poo poo out of that box.

Oh man the memories. I can remember the hype.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Same but Ratlings

I was looking at them last night and they are good, but 18" away from the opponent's models isn't 9"
from the opponents DZ. That's a big deal with "use nurglings to create space for my berzerkers and cultists" garbage going on in chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ugh, the internet appears to be completely out of Carnifices (including GW) and cheap Devilgants. The only ones I had were mothballed and are buried in storage. :(