Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I just run kodi pointing to smb shares. I even have a few games installed. No problem with 16gb on mine. Perhaps plex is setup in a less than ideal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The Plex server caches screenshots, trailers, posters, etc. If you have a lot of content I could definitely see filling up 16GB enough to cause problems.

You're using your Shield as a media server. It has storage that's fine for an Android device but not in any way reasonable for a media server. Media server capacities should be measured in terabytes. If you can you should run your Plex server on the NAS rather than the Shield. Use the Shield as a Plex or Kodi client only.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you want to use your Shield as a Plex server, you really need the Pro version with a hard drive in it.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thank you guys, yeah I'm an idiot I didn't realise that Plex server took as much resources. Sadly my NAS is not powerful enough to run the Plex server, I get stuttering etc...
I went back to having just a kodi client on the shield and watching movie like that.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Thank you guys, yeah I'm an idiot I didn't realise that Plex server took as much resources. Sadly my NAS is not powerful enough to run the Plex server, I get stuttering etc...
I went back to having just a kodi client on the shield and watching movie like that.

Use the official Plex for Kodi Plugin if you want Plex to keep track of your watched status. That's what I do, and it works well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have had intermittent issues with keeping watched states in sync between kodi instances using the official Emby Kodi plugin.

I think I've figured out the issue, though. I use the Chromecast screen saver (whatever it's called) on my shield and I think that for some reason Kodi doesn't receive updates from Emby when that screensaver is active.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone having similar issues.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I feel like Kodi on the Shield doesn't update when it's not the focus app. I've noticed if we leave Kodi running background, it doesn't update as new stuff gets added to the database. I've got an old Atom/Ion HTPC in the basement that gets notifications and runs the library updates, and we have to exit/relaunch Kodi in order to get a current list of what's available. It only takes a second, but it's a little annoying.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
There are add-ons that will automatically run the library update for you, or you can set it to run the update at startup. I’ve noticed the same thing, though, and it is annoying.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
There's still the old fashioned MySQL backend option as well, or running a headless Kodi instance on another computer and sharing its library out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been dabbling with the idea of going back to MySQL.

I'd miss the easy metadata editing of emby and the ability to watch stuff out of the house and keep watched status synced.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2017

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
My biggest beef with doing MySQL is that you have to have the same version of Kodi on everything that's sharing it, down to the minor version, and that sucks. They should lock the DB format for each major release and let the minors float. UPnP sharing is a world simpler in that regard. I kinda want to write an addon that works as an abstraction and compatibility layer instead, but I have a feeling that keeping up to date with all the schema changes they do would turn brutal really fast.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Kodi database versions haven't changed within the same major version in recent history. Unless you're running nightly builds, in which case you know what you're in for, you should basically never have to worry about it.

http://kodi.wiki/view/database_versions

I've been running MySQL since 2009. It's basically zero maintenance.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
That's really interesting, because their docs explicitly call out that you need to be on the same version in the header of this page, which I'm sure you've seen. Shame on me for not checking, though. That makes it a little easier, though. Maybe I'll migrate to that. I'm only running two instances of Kodi these days, but might go back up to 3 once I have a properly set up guest bedroom.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

G-Prime posted:

That's really interesting, because their docs explicitly call out that you need to be on the same version in the header of this page, which I'm sure you've seen. Shame on me for not checking, though. That makes it a little easier, though. Maybe I'll migrate to that. I'm only running two instances of Kodi these days, but might go back up to 3 once I have a properly set up guest bedroom.

I think that's intentionally worded that way just to minimize support issues. Err on the side of caution and such. Someone following that rule should never have any problem with the database versioning.

The fact that it specifically calls out development builds potentially having different database revisions makes it more clear they're referring to major version in the first part, but I think they're just tired of hearing from "that guy" who has an OG Xbox, some random pirate Fire TV stick, a two year old OpenELEC install, and then runs nightlies on his PC.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Could never find that amazon fire stick I thought I had. Must have given it way. Ordered a Pi 3 and boy, it sure does work a lot better than a Pi 1 by a long loving shot. Money well spent, thanks for the advice.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

G-Prime posted:

There's still the old fashioned MySQL backend option as well, or running a headless Kodi instance on another computer and sharing its library out.

This is basically what I'm doing, except my master Kodi instance isn't headless. It's just an always-on PC on the TV downstairs, and our main TV upstairs has the Shield so my wife has access to Kodi/Hulu/Amazon/Netflix on one device. The database gets updated automatically when something gets added, but the problem seems to be the Shield instance of Kodi not polling the database when in the background.

I expect if I disabled the screensaver on the Shield and left Kodi open and in the foreground, it would probably update from the database exactly like the PC downstairs and the Rpi in the garage, but that defeats the purpose of the Shield as a "wife-friendly" method of media access.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PitViper posted:

I expect if I disabled the screensaver on the Shield and left Kodi open and in the foreground, it would probably update from the database exactly like the PC downstairs and the Rpi in the garage, but that defeats the purpose of the Shield as a "wife-friendly" method of media access.

Not sure I understand how you're using the Shield - how is the screensaver making it more wife-friendly? (I never used a Shield, or indeed Kodi on Android, so this may well be a stupid question.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

PitViper posted:

the problem seems to be the Shield instance of Kodi not polling the database when in the background.

That's disappointing and makes me seriously consider whether I want to keep using the Shield at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Could it be an Android thing? I don't write Android apps but my phone is weird about suspending some apps, letting some do certain things in the background and then sometimes it just kills stuff, I assume for battery or resource purposes.

I don't really background Kodi often so I don't know if this is normal behavior or not. So the issue is that when the screensaver activates it suspends Kodi and then you can't use auto-update timers or an RPC script to update the library? Have you tried updating it by an HTTP command when the screensaver is running and see if that works?

I will test it out tonight when I get home.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Could it be an Android thing? .....

It is.. Unless an app registers a background service, then it can be suspended at any time if it is not in the foreground. Any screen saver, or the built in Cast idle screen would move Kodi into the background when they come up.

Fixing it would be something the Kodi developers would have to do.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Not sure I understand how you're using the Shield - how is the screensaver making it more wife-friendly? (I never used a Shield, or indeed Kodi on Android, so this may well be a stupid question.)

It's the primary video streaming box we use, since I'd say 80% of the stuff we watch is on my Kodi setup, and the remainder is on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon or a handful of channel-specific streaming apps. It's also great for casting from a tablet, which is handy for apps/websites without an Android TV app.

I could disable the screensaver, but I presume it's more of an issue of how Android handles background apps. It doesn't update from the DB if we're watching something on Hulu/Netflix either, so it's probably a quirk of Android TV and Kodi not being allowed to poll the database if it's not the app in focus. Not a deal breaker, especially since I think the Shield is the best way to integrate as many of the various streaming services and Kodi/Plex as possible onto one piece of hardware. It might be a bigger issue if I didn't have a second device handling the library DB updates constantly, since running a library scan on the Shield is relatively slow.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PitViper posted:

I could disable the screensaver, but I presume it's more of an issue of how Android handles background apps. It doesn't update from the DB if we're watching something on Hulu/Netflix either, so it's probably a quirk of Android TV and Kodi not being allowed to poll the database if it's not the app in focus. Not a deal breaker, especially since I think the Shield is the best way to integrate as many of the various streaming services and Kodi/Plex as possible onto one piece of hardware. It might be a bigger issue if I didn't have a second device handling the library DB updates constantly, since running a library scan on the Shield is relatively slow.

OK, I understand, thanks for explaining. Yes indeed it sounds like an Android thing. As stevewm wrote above, there needs to be a development effort in Kodi to implement that. Probably using the JobScheduler framework, I guess. I searched the web for a bit but don't see any indication that this is underway.

They could opt to have only scheduled library updates run in the background, but they could also for example allow the audio player to keep playing when the user switches apps.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 1, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Pretty sure SPMC detects sleep state and updates in the background. It does for my Plex-Kodi addon anyway. I always leave it running in the background.

SPMC has a lot of Shield-specific features. There's an alpha out based on Kodi 17.4 that works well, check the Github.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just tried and Kodi running with the Shield chromecast/daydream screensaver active does response to jsonrpc requests...

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Ixian posted:

SPMC has a lot of Shield-specific features. There's an alpha out based on Kodi 17.4 that works well, check the Github.

I was about to ask if I should try to upgrade SPMC to the alpha or just switch to Kodi. I guess its a case of FOMO, but unless Kodi has that retroplayer stuff dialed in I suppose I'm fine on any features between 16 and 17.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
I have a Pictures directory on my NAS with hundreds of subdirectories of pictures interspersed with home videos. Is there a good way to get Kodi to display these videos, without having to manually navigate by directory?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been messing around with custom "colors" files in Windows. I've changed the main color in the music player (affects song and album titles) but I can't find a value that changes the year, track #, or elapsed time indicator. Is there some other setting that defines those? Not sure if it's a skin-dependent issue but I'm using Aeon Madnox.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
So this is the opposite of what everyone is doing, but I figured I'd ask. Is there any way to stream from kodi to an android phone? Let's say I have something playing on the TV and I go to the basement, I'd like to at least hear and preferably see on my phone. I can of course cast from my phone to the TV. Is there anything like this?

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 19, 2017

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
If you don't want it to continue playing on the TV at the same time, the easy way is to use a shared library (MySQL, DLNA, or something like Emby), stop playback on the TV, and have Kodi installed on your phone and resume it. Watched state and progress can be shared that way. I don't know of any built in way to maintain the state and keep both playing at the same time though.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I think Plex just came knocking on his/her door.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
My Kodi always stops using the MySQL after a while and I have to go into the MySQL server and add the username/password to the Kodi databases again for some reason. I know it's happening when suddenly it's not tracking my watched status on stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nullsmack posted:

My Kodi always stops using the MySQL after a while and I have to go into the MySQL server and add the username/password to the Kodi databases again for some reason. I know it's happening when suddenly it's not tracking my watched status on stuff.

Sounds like something is very hosed up in your MySQL install if it's somehow losing the user.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Does anyone know how to get the buttons on a Harmony Smart Control mapped for Kodi on Ubuntu? Specifically IR, not using Bluetooth.

I recently reformatted my Kodi box and I can't seem to find the instructions that I used before.

I've added the following two devices in MyHarmony:
- Windows Media Center SE
- MCE Keyboard

I'm able to turn my Kodi box on and off, and use the arrows to move around the UI but the rest of the buttons don't seem to be mapped properly. Hopefully someone else remembers how to do this.

I'm using a HP IR receiver (RC6/mceusb)

ErikTheRed fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 21, 2017

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ErikTheRed posted:

Does anyone know how to get the buttons on a Harmony Smart Control mapped for Kodi on Ubuntu? Specifically IR, not using Bluetooth.

I recently reformatted my Kodi box and I can't seem to find the instructions that I used before.

I've added the following two devices in MyHarmony:
- Windows Media Center SE
- MCE Keyboard

I'm able to turn my Kodi box on and off, and use the arrows to move around the UI but the rest of the buttons don't seem to be mapped properly. Hopefully someone else remembers how to do this.

Just install the Keymap Editor addon and do it that way unless you really want to fart around doing it manually. Just be careful when rebinding stuff like the "OK" button or you can lock yourself out and have to ssh in to fix it.

If pushing a button doesn't send anything at all you'll have to use a different keymap with the Harmony but I think the ones you chose are fine. I'm using a flirc/Shield combo now instead so just going on memory here.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

The Gunslinger posted:

Just install the Keymap Editor addon and do it that way unless you really want to fart around doing it manually. Just be careful when rebinding stuff like the "OK" button or you can lock yourself out and have to ssh in to fix it.

If pushing a button doesn't send anything at all you'll have to use a different keymap with the Harmony but I think the ones you chose are fine. I'm using a flirc/Shield combo now instead so just going on memory here.

Sounds good, I'll give this a shot tonight. I've got a wireless keyboard so hopefully I'll avoid shooting myself in the foot while rebinding the keymap.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

wolrah posted:

Sounds like something is very hosed up in your MySQL install if it's somehow losing the user.

I think I may have screwed up permissions on it. I keep other stuff there too and probably didn't give the Kodi user enough permissions to create/destroy databases. I've been thinking about setting up a second instance just for Kodi and leave the original one for my other stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nullsmack posted:

I think I may have screwed up permissions on it. I keep other stuff there too and probably didn't give the Kodi user enough permissions to create/destroy databases. I've been thinking about setting up a second instance just for Kodi and leave the original one for my other stuff.

Here's the key:

code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `kodi_%`.* TO 'kodi'@'%'
Combined with

code:
  <videodatabase>
      <type>mysql</type>
      <host>server</host>
      <port>3306</port>
      <user>kodi</user>
      <pass>pass</pass>
      <name>kodi_video</name>
  </videodatabase>
  <musicdatabase>
      <type>mysql</type>
      <host>server</host>
      <port>3306</port>
      <user>kodi</user>
      <pass>pass</pass>
      <name>kodi_music</name>
  </musicdatabase>
in advancedsettings.xml

Back in 2012 I tried to get that added in to the wiki instead of their current idiotic instructions that have you granting your media clients full privileges to the entire MySQL server, but the then admin of the wiki decided that was too complicated and most users didn't care about security.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 21, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I had a media pc for xbmc and web streaming in the living room and wanted to duplicate it in the bedroom and took a chance on a Steam Link to just stream the desktop from that computer in the bedroom. (it was $27 with a free $20 steam card thrown in)

I'm actually super impressed with it and even using it over wifi can play games with some minor hitches, wired would be perfect.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Puddin posted:

I had a media pc for xbmc and web streaming in the living room and wanted to duplicate it in the bedroom and took a chance on a Steam Link to just stream the desktop from that computer in the bedroom. (it was $27 with a free $20 steam card thrown in)

I'm actually super impressed with it and even using it over wifi can play games with some minor hitches, wired would be perfect.

Yeah, I've been using my link regularly for a few years. It's perfect for playing rocket league, emulators or other co-op games with friends without having to invest in a console, and I've never really noticed the lag even on wireless.

It has made me wish there were more split screen games released on pc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Alright, I've struggled with this stupid issue long enough, so it's time for me to publicly announce that I have the dumbs and ask for help:

I've been using XBMC/Kodi on and off for years, since about version 11 or so. I took a long hiatus before jumping back on to v17, and I can't find a way to correct filename <-> Show Title errors. Ie: If I have a copy of "Night of the Living Dead," and its filename is "notld", then Kodi won't identify it and add it to the library. "Scan to Library" or "Scan for New Content" don't work, but if I manually rename the file to "Night of the Living Dead.extension" (whatever .extension is), then Kodi will do what its damnwell supposed to do. I know that in previous versions you could manually override a filename by typing it in, but I can't seem to force a manual refresh. Is there a secret command or something for this? Is it like music visualizations, and is semi-hidden? Is my install (Win7x32) corrupt? Am I retarded?

Over the past months, Kodi has sure as hell been less awesome and more stressful to use, especially for others in the household that don't enjoy searching by file hierarchy when Kodi won't autoparse filenames. This has been going on for both movies and tv shows.