Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Looks like my guild is folding due to burn out of late Kunark. Any recommendations for an Agnaar guild that raids around 9 or 10pm est? I don't want to miss the release of my favorite expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

The Regime is recruiting we raid mon/wed 7pst

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ramulack posted:

Looks like my guild is folding due to burn out of late Kunark. Any recommendations for an Agnaar guild that raids around 9 or 10pm est? I don't want to miss the release of my favorite expansion.

Check out guilds on https://progressioneq.com/agnarrkills/

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Why would anybody ever pay $25 to race change when it doesn't modify your faction with the target race? I was going to race change my DE necro on Agnarr over to an Iksar to avoid all the faction work required to do the skullcap quest, but alas.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Not sure what you mean, my High Elf that I race changed to a Dark Elf wasn't KOS to Neriak?

If it gets you friendly, but not high *enough* for that particular quest, just remember that Iksar is the master race and kurns is jokingly easy to farm bonechips in. e: now that you can turnin quest items in 100 stacks, 400 bonechips in a single turnin is possible, seriously cutting the tedious nature out.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 3, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Not sure what you mean, my High Elf that I race changed to a Dark Elf wasn't KOS to Neriak?

If it gets you friendly, but not high *enough* for that particular quest, just remember that Iksar is the master race and kurns is jokingly easy to farm bonechips in.

I'm pretty confused too, I'm going by what this GM said in my trouble ticket where I asked about it. Maybe he's just explaining it poorly or I'm stupid and I don't understand English very well?

----------
Me-
I'd like to change my Necromancer to an Iksar using the race change scroll, but the scroll help page makes it sound like it won't modify my faction with Cabilis and that I'd be KOS. Can you confirm this?

Referencing this: The inhabitants of my new starting city hate me. How can I fix my faction?
A charming personality and a winning smile will only get you so far. If you really wish to earn the trust of your new kinsmen, you'll need to either impress them by slaying their enemies or run quests to improve your faction with them.
----------
Greetings Traveler,
It is true that if you change your race you will manually have to raise your faction.
If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us again and thank you for playing EverQuest!

Sincerely,
GM Dalgras
----------
Me-
And this also applies if you haven't gone out and intentionally damaged your faction with the one you want to change to? The scenario is this, I'm a Dark Elf Necromancer and I wanted to start the necro skull cap quest. I wanted to race change to Iksar so that I could avoid having to do all of the grinding to raise up my Cabilis faction. I have not gone and assaulted any Iksar or done anything that would damage my faction with them. So under these circumstances, if I change to Iksar and walk into Cabilis I will be killed on site until I can raise it up manually?
----------
Greetings Traveler,
Allow me to clarify further; whatever amount of faction you have when you use the race change scroll will be unaffected. So however the Iksar con to you now, is how they will con to you after the change. The help on the Site is more directed towards player who try to circumvent bad conning by race changing. Does this answer your question?

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us again and thank you for playing EverQuest!

Sincerely,
GM Dalgras
----------

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

joem83 posted:

Greetings Traveler,
Allow me to clarify further; whatever amount of faction you have when you use the race change scroll will be unaffected. So however the Iksar con to you now, is how they will con to you after the change. The help on the Site is more directed towards player who try to circumvent bad conning by race changing. Does this answer your question?

Sincerely,
GM Dalgras
----------

:stonklol: Yeah that is 100% opposite from my personal experience, wow. That is scary sounding. Maybe find someone who did an Iksar race change and get their take on it? I know there were plenty of day1 50+ Lizards running around that couldn't have been KoS... that has to be dated information they're pulling from?

The -ONLY- faction issue I had was the Warrior guild in Neriak hates me, because I leveled in Crushbone (Indigo Brotherhood), which means I hosed myself on them (gently caress you, Guard Klan T'Jax). Everyone else was fine with me, and was previously KOS pre-race change.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 3, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

:stonklol: Yeah that is 100% opposite from my personal experience, wow. That is scary sounding. Maybe find someone who did an Iksar race change and get their take on it? I know there were plenty of day1 50+ Lizards running around that couldn't have been KoS... that has to be dated information they're pulling from?

The -ONLY- faction issue I had was the Warrior guild in Neriak hates me, because I leveled in Crushbone (Indigo Brotherhood), which means I hosed myself on them (gently caress you, Guard Klan T'Jax). Everyone else was fine with me, and was previously KOS pre-race change.

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that the GM was not really understanding or explaining well. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when my daybreak bux come in.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

joem83 posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that the GM was not really understanding or explaining well. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when my daybreak bux come in.

I race changed from DE Necro to Iksar and did not have any issues in Cabalis. To be honest I never really thought about it. To be fair I quit shortly after and have no experience with the skull cap quest.

What did happen is I race changed inside Neriak and the guards promptly killed me. For some reason I thought the race change would port me into Cab.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The best way I can make sense of it is that any faction gains (positive or negative) remain, however the default reaction to your, religion-> race -> class, do reset to match accordingly. Dumb of them to not be more aware of their own $25 transaction, simply putting "did you hunt x race? they will hate you, of course." to their FAQ would be helpful.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I just did the race change because I was all irritated about that GM. Gave them money and I am now amiable with Cabilis. I don't know why that guy was making it so difficult, he just shoulda been like "oh yeah, as long as you haven't done anything to negatively impact your faction with them you'll be fine."

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

joem83 posted:

I just did the race change because I was all irritated about that GM. Gave them money and I am now amiable with Cabilis. I don't know why that guy was making it so difficult, he just shoulda been like "oh yeah, as long as you haven't done anything to negatively impact your faction with them you'll be fine."

Guy had probably never even heard of an Iksar before, he just Ctrl F'd through their support FAQ.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
EQ GMs/support not knowing how EQ works is a time honored tradition, come on now.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The GM is just clueless.

There are four factors to your faction standing:

1) Faction Standing: This is modified by killing and questing, the message you see with "Your faction standing with ....". Behind the scenes, it's a simple number that can swing from about -2000 to +2000. Below -701 is Scowling, above 700 is Ally. I've personally tested this.
2) Race: Provides a fixed bonus or detriment to your standing against certain factions. There is an internal matrix that determines how a certain race sees members of a certain other race.
3) Class: Same as race, but by race (SK's love SK's, Clerics hate SK's)
4) Deity/Religion: Same ordeal, although I think it's faction vs. deity - for example, the Clerics of Tunare hate the CazicThule worshippers.

Factor 1) is not altered when race changing, but all the other factors cannot be modified, so they will follow whatever race you switch to, and if it were possible to switch deity, the same would happen, just as if you had rolled a new character.

I've written some info here a while ago (might be a tiny bit outdated):

http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Mechanics-Faction_and_Consider

I also switched my Monk from Iksar to Human way back, and my faction followed accordingly.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
rip eq tlp whenever dem wow classic servers get here.... in like a couple years. lol

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
What are your opinions on jaundice bone bracers? I'm really wanting to be an Iksar for the regen / cudgel but not not being able to use JBB's is a big sticking point. I remember in era you could do crazy poo poo with them like solo Lodizal with nothing but torpor / JBB clicks and they made farming gray cons so convenient but old model Iksars are so drat cute I don't know what to do :smith:

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Also somebody in the goon channel had experience with transferring a character across accounts to buy more TLP backpack bundles, before I do this I want to make sure I'm slightly less pathetic by saving as much $$$ as I can, is the cheapest/only route to doing it to be:

Make/have/subscribe account A
Buy TLP package
Make/have/sub account B
Xfer character from A to B
Buy TLP package
Repeat?

I was trying to come up with a way to cut out the subbing since I'm planning to get 8 bags (not actually my money so slightly less :smith:) but I just can't come up with it. I did petition and make sure it wouldn't get me into any trouble doing it, they basically said it's "technically" an exploit of the rules but they don't care and wouldn't do anything.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
That's how I did it, but I know they have been pretty wonky in regards to server transfers for the past year and so. Last time I transferred a character it took 8 days for them to do it. Then there is the whole people dealing with ban waves and what not. Who knows.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hold The Ashes posted:

What are your opinions on jaundice bone bracers? I'm really wanting to be an Iksar for the regen / cudgel but not not being able to use JBB's is a big sticking point. I remember in era you could do crazy poo poo with them like solo Lodizal with nothing but torpor / JBB clicks and they made farming gray cons so convenient but old model Iksars are so drat cute I don't know what to do :smith:
They're good for soloing and adding some DPS to your group, no doubt about that, but as time goes by, their value will diminish. But on the other hand, so will the Iksar regen, and the value of the Cudgel.

I assume you're playing on a TLP server, so the expansions will fly by fair quickly, but it's up to you to weigh short-term joy (JBB) or long-term (Iksar "cuteness" hehe).

Oh the delight of choosing what race and class to choose in EQ... :D

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krazuel posted:

That's how I did it, but I know they have been pretty wonky in regards to server transfers for the past year and so. Last time I transferred a character it took 8 days for them to do it. Then there is the whole people dealing with ban waves and what not. Who knows.

Well, he's talking about to account transfers, not server transfers.

I did an account transfer about 2 months ago. I put in the ticket on the weekend, and it was handled within the first hour of Monday morning. A couple of friends had similar experiences with extremely quick turn-around times on account transfers too.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

xZAOx posted:

Well, he's talking about to account transfers, not server transfers.

I did an account transfer about 2 months ago. I put in the ticket on the weekend, and it was handled within the first hour of Monday morning. A couple of friends had similar experiences with extremely quick turn-around times on account transfers too.

I meant account transfer, sorry :D

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Krazuel posted:

rip eq tlp whenever dem wow classic servers get here.... in like a couple years. lol

Speaking of that game, what is the best way or prices for expansions to get back onto WoW as it now stands? I played it day of release and bought the Burning Crusade to get to level 60(?), but stopped playing when I got satellite internet because the connection was so bad.

I know things are different now but WoW players aren't known for their kindnesses. I still know my server and login info, so I could start at 60 (or more likely, level 1) but to be honest I'm tired of Phinny and want to have the options to solo if I can't play long. I only ask in here because many that started on EQ went to WoW and never left and are just as knowledgeable on other game lore as they are on EQ.

TL;DR: Help me get back into the World if Warcraft from the EverQuest thread. I like y'all better but a rogue cannot solo in EQ!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
To be current, all you have to do is buy the Legion expansion.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Speaking of that game, what is the best way or prices for expansions to get back onto WoW as it now stands? I played it day of release and bought the Burning Crusade to get to level 60(?), but stopped playing when I got satellite internet because the connection was so bad.

I know things are different now but WoW players aren't known for their kindnesses. I still know my server and login info, so I could start at 60 (or more likely, level 1) but to be honest I'm tired of Phinny and want to have the options to solo if I can't play long. I only ask in here because many that started on EQ went to WoW and never left and are just as knowledgeable on other game lore as they are on EQ.

TL;DR: Help me get back into the World if Warcraft from the EverQuest thread. I like y'all better but a rogue cannot solo in EQ!

You could probably just do the $20 basic WoW game (https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft) and see how far you get. I bet it comes with a free month, too. If you get to max level and want more, you could always buy the expansion!

Probably best off scrapping your level 60 dude though, the game moves pretty quick and it's changed significantly since you last played; trying to come into the game as a level 60 would probably actually be detrimental to the overall experience.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Givin posted:

To be current, all you have to do is buy the Legion expansion.

Cool. So much like getting current in game is same as EQ (buy newest expac). I still have vanilla and burning crusade cd's but now that I have real internet I will probably just buy the legion from Steam or something. Thanks!!!

Edit: I'm fond of my "baby 60," though. I have a Gnome rogue named Rat. I came back to EQ by fighting super green single enemies just so that I can get my interface remembered and my cool-downs on pat, so hopefully I can get my macros and skills familiar before joining and being an actual detriment to a group. Thanks again !!!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 7, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

Cool. So much like getting current in game is same as EQ (buy newest expac). I still have vanilla and burning crusade cd's but now that I have real internet I will probably just buy the legion from Steam or something. Thanks!!!

Edit: I'm fond of my "baby 60," though. I have a Gnome rogue named Rat. I came back to EQ by fighting super green single enemies just so that I can get my interface remembered and my cool-downs on pat, so hopefully I can get my macros and skills familiar before joining and being an actual detriment to a group. Thanks again !!!

As a WoW playing thread lurker: the best price on Legion will be on Black Friday. If you jump on your old account by paying for a month of game time, you’ll have access to everything up to the Warlords of Draenor expansion (taking you to 110.)

WoW’s accounts changed back in Wrath of the Lich King. In order to play WoW you’ll need to create a battle.net account (same as any other recent Blizzard game) and then attach your old WoW account to that. Note that Blizzard doesn’t sell WoW through Steam, only through battle.net.

Your old level 60 should be easy to pick up; abilities and so on are a lot simpler these days, and 60 is very much still tuned for new player levels. Going to be a lot of culture shock though.

Feel free to pop into the WoW sub forum and ask there if you have any questions. We don’t bite.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Arivia posted:

Feel free to pop into the WoW sub forum and ask there if you have any questions. We don’t bite.

Appreciate the tip, man! I'll be sure to read up about it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Oh boy, a bunch of talk in the EQ thread!

Oh, it's all WoW, lol.

FWIW - if you make a new toon on live EQ, you can totally solo fine for a long time. Then "molo" with a merc until the early 80s. Then after that you can still "solo" if you start boxing, and you can use ISBoxer to make it easy.

Not that I recommend any of that, mind you. If I want solo RPGs I recommend all the great single player titles, heh. Just saying, all things equal, you can "play with no other actual humans for only 0 or 1 sub fee" to max level in Live EQ if you want.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Are Zerkers still top melee dps on live? I kinda want to fool around on Test on a melee dps. I have an 85 monk, I dunno if there is much gap on dps or whatever? And I guess if i wanted to level i would have to box at that level.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

joem83 posted:

You could probably just do the $20 basic WoW game (https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft) and see how far you get. I bet it comes with a free month, too. If you get to max level and want more, you could always buy the expansion!

Probably best off scrapping your level 60 dude though, the game moves pretty quick and it's changed significantly since you last played; trying to come into the game as a level 60 would probably actually be detrimental to the overall experience.

His current account already has been grandfathered up to Warlords of Draenor. Don't do this. It's a waste of cash.

Buy Legion and activate that on your already existing account. Put a mobile authentication on it while you're at it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Yeah sorry 'bout the WoW talk in the EQ group but from experience I mmprpg players have more than one game under their belts :). Still waiting for the cable company to roll in but if I need to I'll plug my gaming comp into my phone to download the Legion expansion on Black Friday from battle.net.

I also didn't want to come off as anti-social with the "soloing" chat. I prefer groups in games but sometimes only have half an hour to play and cannot start and finish a dungeon crawl fair to the other folks. WoW gives out quests that you can solo,without ridiculous camps and such. And it also is a great game to explore in, stealthy-style. You just can't do that in EQ. I did have a good time moloing in my old paid server, and got a sk to 83 before taking the upgrade to 85 on my rogue. If my rogue doesn't have long I can always run through kurns or guk or howling stones at 85 and remain untouchable. Even though I have no worries of dying it's still fun to explore with sneak/hide :).

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah, I mean, I guess I wasn't speaking against using his OG account, but more against trying to pick up the existing level 60 again. This is all based on personal experience, but if I don't start an MMO character from level 1, I can't really make sense of all the abilities and what's what because there are too many options at once. I like being spoon fed abilities and what not.

PS: I think I was drinking when I posted that original post and I just didn't word/approach that appropriately. Sorry :D

joem83 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 8, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Anybody want to explain true box servers and VM? I understand it's against the rules but this being Daybreak I also don't see them jumping to ban people who are paying for multiple accounts. I'd really like to not buy a whole loving computer just to screw around in this ancient game, any suggestions on where to find more info?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

DBG has been banning people that use software to box on a true box server.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Solarin posted:

Anybody want to explain true box servers and VM? I understand it's against the rules but this being Daybreak I also don't see them jumping to ban people who are paying for multiple accounts. I'd really like to not buy a whole loving computer just to screw around in this ancient game, any suggestions on where to find more info?

Most people aren't using vms, but if they are boxing a bunch then sometimes. Anyways a basic overview for one way that works:
Read through stuff like https://communities.vmware.com/thread/216331 (Added a poopy link from phone, better link edited in now from desktop)
I'm on my phone and too busy to read that whole link but it might have all necessary changes to play eq.
Also manually change Vm Mac address from native Vm generated address.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 11, 2017

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
There's a really easy solution if you don't want to buy another computer to box in EQ. Play on live servers where you just run EQ multiple times (the launcher is even set up to support quick account switching). Using software to box is explicitly against the rules on TLP servers and it's just asking for a ban so why do it? The reason they want 1 box per one computer is to deter really efficient boxing so you don't see things like what happened to ragefire and lockjaw and the server just being full 6 box groups from day one.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Agnarr Sleeper was kinda cool situation. I'm glad my guild entered up with one of the masks.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I hate to do this but I can't find the general thread for World of Warcraft. You folks cleared me up on a couple of things, and while it was appreciated bigly I didn't want to poo poo up the EQ thread. Somebody mentioned a WoW thread so I tried to find it and have been unable to do so. I checked games, MMO HMO, and the Blizzard Subforum and scrolled through them looking for threads, but they're all about Overwatch and Hearthstone.

I have the money to buy into Legion, but I threw away my WoW vanilla cd's like ten years ago. Do I need to buy Legion AND vanilla or just buy Legion and spend the time to download everthing?

Also, I see on Battle.Net the reclaiming your account from the past, but I'm not using the same email address, credit card, or method to log in (I didn't even have a cellphone back then :) ). I also know the server (Alleria) of the three main characters as well as a RP server (Kirin'Tor?) I have a big old cow druid on the same account. Level 60 isn't hard to get to abut I loved the character name on my day 1 rogue and would love if I could get my son's characters off my acoount (He was 8 years old and loved playing with sociable people who talked a lot). and send them to a new account on the same server so we could play together sometimes or at least play for him occasionally because he[s a lot more busy due to school and his job.

Sorry to poopify your EQ thread. Still read it every day and played f2p on my old account. If someone could link to the WoW thread or gimme a name I'll leave you nice folks alone :).

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
There's a whole WoW subforum under the Blizzard subforum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=146

I assume buying Legion gives you every expansion up to and including it, since that's the way the others worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

suuma posted:

There's a whole WoW subforum under the Blizzard subforum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=146

I assume buying Legion gives you every expansion up to and including it, since that's the way the others worked.

II doesn't show up in Awful, the phone app. I scrolled for days looking through the other forums :).

Ok, thanks about the answer to my Legion question. The main reason I wasn't sure of myself is that when you get on the Legion page it says in the requirements you need the WoW game and I didn't want to buy two games until Black Friday.

Thanks again, I got on my computer to type this so I should be able to see the WoW forum. Probably just a problem with my dumb rear end anyways :).