Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Its weird to play a Mario game where defualt Mario is more mobile than Yoshi.
Yoshi can do the flick flip jump though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How to get on top of Peach's Castle, the true answer

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/926227181360914432

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cobalt Viper posted:

Yoshi can do the flick flip jump though.

And he can stick to vertical surfaces with his tongue

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Evil Eagle posted:

How to get on top of Peach's Castle, the true answer

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/926227181360914432

That's not even the top :confused:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

was trying to keep the tweet from embedding, whoops

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

more screencaps from this, the current Best Game In The World

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

I'll never get over how much breath of the wild owned and then got owned in the same year

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I'll never get over how much breath of the wild owned and then got owned in the same year

nevertheless, with EA's refusal to commit to Switch support, i am sure Nintendo are still doomed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair this has been a pretty loving insane year for games overall.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I got Atop the Jutting Crag moon in Luncheon Kingdom with a Hammer Bro and a cap Jump, but apparently the actual way to get it is jump out of a Podaboo after using one of those Podaboo cannons. I love movement Mario's movement options.

Something else I love final boss spoilers I was surprised and love how mobile Bowser is when you control him just blasting through all of that moon rock. I hope he gets a DLC or a game he felt real good to control.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair this has been a pretty loving insane year for games overall.

Seriously I can't get over how amazing 2017 has been and then a new Pokemon trailer drops and oh my god how can I choose a GOTY?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

I got Atop the Jutting Crag moon in Luncheon Kingdom with a Hammer Bro and a cap Jump, but apparently the actual way to get it is jump out of a Podaboo after using one of those Podaboo cannons. I love movement Mario's movement options.

Something else I love final boss spoilers I was surprised and love how mobile Bowser is when you control him just blasting through all of that moon rock. I hope he gets a DLC or a game he felt real good to control.

I liked doing the triple jump where he'd triumphantly raise his fist into the air

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cheetah7071 posted:

Games old enough to be virtual console will get that instead of remakes

Well since there doesn't seem to be any Virtual Console on the horizon, who knows? :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

In Cascade Kingdom, the pipe with the Chain Chomps. I got the main Moon here obviously, but where is the 2nd one? I've destroyed the blocks in each section, but there's nothing in any of them. I jumped over to them, and the non-destructible blocks also, but all I found were coins. Am I missing something? It's difficult since you can't really adjust the camera much, or go into 1st person mode.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

In Cascade Kingdom, the pipe with the Chain Chomps. I got the main Moon here obviously, but where is the 2nd one? I've destroyed the blocks in each section, but there's nothing in any of them. I jumped over to them, and the non-destructible blocks also, but all I found were coins. Am I missing something? It's difficult since you can't really adjust the camera much, or go into 1st person mode.

I was stumped on this bullshit for hours. There's a hole in the wall on the far right, next to the exit.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

returned to the sand kingdom, thinkin i was closing in on the end of the game. realised i've still got just over half the total moons in sand kingdom to go and then looked at the lists for all the other kingdoms. not even close. dang, but also, hooray

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I was stumped on this bullshit for hours. There's a hole in the wall on the far right, next to the exit.
Ughhh gently caress that. Thank you. I thought I had searched the exit section well also, but apparently not.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

returned to the sand kingdom, thinkin i was closing in on the end of the game. realised i've still got just over half the total moons in sand kingdom to go and then looked at the lists for all the other kingdoms. not even close. dang, but also, hooray

I think its designed to be casually revisited on and off so that you have something to do for more than a week

I'm a hedonistic tyrant and have destroyed every inch of this game in the span of a few days but I get the vibe I wasn't supposed to

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I think its designed to be casually revisited on and off so that you have something to do for more than a week

I'm a hedonistic tyrant and have destroyed every inch of this game in the span of a few days but I get the vibe I wasn't supposed to

i managed to get Marios claws off of me to get some solid work done this week, but the weekend looms and it's still all i want to do. i am totally going to clock this game and glad it's taking me a while to do so.

also simpsons joke username gang appreciation !

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've been staying awake way too late nearly every night this week playing Mario. After having beaten the final boss on Monday night, I've just been mopping up the worlds starting with Cap Kingdom.

For reference, 3D World took me a long time to beat (I don't think I've done much, or any of the postgame either), 3D Land took me something like 2 years, and I still haven't finished the final course in it. I beat Galaxy 1 over the course of a year or two probably, but never 100%. Galaxy 2 I never even finished. This game has got me something fierce.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Question

Why is the wooded kingdom in a dome? Just the machine look?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Over There posted:

Question

Why is the wooded kingdom in a dome? Just the machine look?

The in-game brochure implies that it's a self-sufficient biodome created by an ancient race

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Post-game question about Darker Side; How far through am I if I've made it to the second room with the fog?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you told me johnnyfiveaces was worked into the plot for super mario odyssey, i'd believe it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m doing the dark side of the moon rabbit ridge boss rush. Where is this heart you can get? And can I go get it any any point in the rush?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RCarr posted:

I’m doing the dark side of the moon rabbit ridge boss rush. Where is this heart you can get? And can I go get it any any point in the rush?

it's on the stem of one of the pumpkins in the pile to the right, near the electricity orb when you come in. yeah go out at any point between 'em and you can grab it.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Post-game question about Darker Side; How far through am I if I've made it to the second room with the fog?

A bit more than half-way.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Postgame: god dang that timer switch stage on Dark Side. The second section is insanely strict compared the other two, esp considering you can (barely) grab the second moon even after time expires.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Motto posted:

Postgame: god dang that timer switch stage on Dark Side. The second section is insanely strict compared the other two, esp considering you can (barely) grab the second moon even after time expires.
You mean the motor scooter without motor scooter one? Because I definitely agree if so, the middle one is for some reason way more difficult and it sucks. But you can do it!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

People who have the invisibility cap should go fight the final boss with it on. The ending sequence becomes kind of surreal to watch and it owns.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a bigger area but you're about halfway done if I recall.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

So every time you get a moon and Mario does his pose, his hand makes a shape of either a fist, open palm, or a peace sign.

Next time you get a moon, or grab a whole bunch from Toadette, you can play rock-paper-scissors against Mario. :buddy:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also a reference to the pose he'd do whenever he got a star in the last three games. The peace is from 64, open palm is Sunshine, and Fist is Galaxy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I find myself swapping between this and skeleton with birthday hat/luigi cap

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
My favorite part of this game is the fact that the speedy flowers make the full P meter sound when you grab them.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
There are a lot of other good things, too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can I get some advice to help me not suck at the shiveria bouncing races?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Can I get some advice to help me not suck at the shiveria bouncing races?

Bounce better

Really though, I think you just need to run the course a few times to get a feel for the physics and what bouncing will do at certain angles. Try and bounce off the turns near the end of them so you will bounce right into the next one. Don't bounce close to the bottom of angles because you'll get caught in the dip and lose your momentum. You make up time against the other racers by making your turns as short as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Bounce better

Really though, I think you just need to run the course a few times to get a feel for the physics and what bouncing will do at certain angles. Try and bounce off the turns near the end of them so you will bounce right into the next one. Don't bounce close to the bottom of angles because you'll get caught in the dip and lose your momentum. You make up time against the other racers by making your turns as short as possible.

Also bouncing off solid objects gives you more speed than snow. Use this to abuse the second course in post-game by just pinballing off the walls in the hall halfway through the course.

• Locked thread