Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love AE and thought it was a really ballsy release. That Danny Brown chose all those beats to use is great. Sure I don't listen to it every day but like I don't watch my favourite films every week.
I love how you have this amazing rapper over these really cool and weird beats. Didn't sound like anything else I heard before it.
Vince Staple's Big Fish Theory felt like a successor to it where you have a great lyricist over beats that aren't the usual stuff. Like AE, I don't listen to BFT all the time but it's still one of my favourite albums of this year.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Every time Future or Thug Metro tags drop on Without Warning I'm just reminded at how missed Metro is on Super Slimey

For sure. Super Slimey is let down by its production. Sounds really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yo I was listening to Oblivion Access the other day and it is hella gloomy. Like MTI was gloomy but even songs like Bitch I'm Lugubrious had beats that made you forget how lyrically dark the whole thing is. OA is just a gut and earpuncher.

Perfect for these rainy days, though

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

alansmithee posted:

I don't think there's nearly enough info to make that determination )also according to Billboard AE peaked at 36 but who cares about facts when you're trying to prove a dumb point anyways). Dude had switched labels, dropped off the map from a social media perspective, and then dropped an album almost entirely devoid of the festival bangers that he was most popular for. Besides, "working on an album" doesn't mean it's coming out anytime soon (I remember he said he was working on an album like a year after old was released, and we saw how long that took). And Blank Face hit #1 so saying that underperformed is also super bizarre.

Regardless it is really dumb to assume that just because you don't like something it underperformed or whatever. And it's really dumb to think that because an album isn't mentioned constantly all the time years after its release that people somehow don't like it anymore (I swear this came up in the past). Most stuff gets discussed when it's released, then maybe a spike around when people start talking about year-end lists or whatever, unless someone specifically starts a conversation about favorite stuff or an artist. I haven't seen 56 nights mentioned much, does that mean people think it sucks now?

Also, it's not 100% necessary that you like everything else that other people do. AE was a very difficult listen and was bound to be divisive. There's nothing wrong with going back and listening to stuff again of course, but it's not necessary to be in lockstep with everyone, even with folks you typically agree with. Sometimes things will hit different notes for different people for whatever reason.

Where are you getting 36? On the Billboard website, it even says it peaked at 77 on the Billboard 200. http://www.billboard.com/music/danny-brown

Only one of the videos released is over 2 million, and that’s “When It Rains” which was the first video out before AE dropped and benefited from people being hype about new Danny. I watched the video a dozen times or more leading up to AE’s release. Hell, I didn’t even know Pneumonia had a video and Ain’t It Funny was hyped with all the “directed by Jonah Hill” stuff. “Really Doe” has almost 4.5 million views, and that’s just the song, not a video, and that’s definitely in no small part because of its features and Kendrick fans. I don’t think my stance is on it underperforming is wrong considering all that. I’m not just saying it because I don’t like it.

Jeffrey and drat. are cited all the time in this thread, and we’re a year and half and months later with each, respectively. Flower Boy gets mentioned when other high profile releases have dropped this summer and fall.

Let me clarify, I don’t think it AE is a bad album, but I’m arguing that it wasn’t received to the sales expectations, especially when compared to how anticipated it was.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The album for the Doomtree side project Shredders (P.O.S., Sims, Lazerbeak & Paper Tiger) drops tomorrow. They've posted a streaming preview on Youtube. It's very Doomtree and l like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72qu8FFPC8

This single/video is my favorite so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7dK6KwPzx8

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That website poo poo is really strange. Here's where it says #36:

http://www.billboard.com/music/danny-brown/chart-history/top-album-sales

edit-it looks like one list is top album sales, and the other is top 200 which i'm not sure the difference but it's sure odd.

That album was so next level that they don't even know how to rank it!

Also "underperforming" assumes you know how they expected it to perform. I have a bunch of reasons in my other post why it's not irrational to have expected it to not do the same sales. Dude's not gonna due Drake numbers. And I haven't really noticed any dimming of Danny's star so it's not like it's hurt

And as for drat, that album came out this year and it comes up when people talk about their fav stuff of the year (same for Flower Boy). As someone mentioned, AE came out in October so you don't get the full year of people saying it's one of their favs of the year. And I don't see many people talking about Jeffery-it's typically in reference to some other Young Thug project when it comes up (or general Young Thug discussion). Which, coincidentally, we're talking about AE again now that Danny Brown's been brought up! I mean you've just saw a bunch of people saying they loved the album or whatever. And it's not like it was badly rated-according to Metacritic (not perfect but w/e) it's higher rated than both Old and XXX. And those video plays aren't out of line with his other stuff-Grown Up has 10M, Dip has 7M, and most of his other big songs (including like 3 or 4 from AE) are around 2-5M views.

Again, it's lacking the super-festival song but I guess I'm not seeing this big disappointment. Especially for being a more abrasive album.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 2, 2017

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

monkeu posted:

AE is too grating and jarring to actually enjoy listening to

TPAB is boring as gently caress and bad

Yeezus loving rules

If you disagree you are wrong

If disagreeing with you is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Yeezus is pretty good, though.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Boywhiz88 posted:

Where are you getting 36? On the Billboard website, it even says it peaked at 77 on the Billboard 200. http://www.billboard.com/music/danny-brown

Only one of the videos released is over 2 million, and that’s “When It Rains” which was the first video out before AE dropped and benefited from people being hype about new Danny. I watched the video a dozen times or more leading up to AE’s release. Hell, I didn’t even know Pneumonia had a video and Ain’t It Funny was hyped with all the “directed by Jonah Hill” stuff. “Really Doe” has almost 4.5 million views, and that’s just the song, not a video, and that’s definitely in no small part because of its features and Kendrick fans. I don’t think my stance is on it underperforming is wrong considering all that. I’m not just saying it because I don’t like it.

Jeffrey and drat. are cited all the time in this thread, and we’re a year and half and months later with each, respectively. Flower Boy gets mentioned when other high profile releases have dropped this summer and fall.

Let me clarify, I don’t think it AE is a bad album, but I’m arguing that it wasn’t received to the sales expectations, especially when compared to how anticipated it was.

Take it easy on Danny, not everybody’s genius enough to go platinum with no features.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have a lot of listening time in my new job so I go through all the albums I've been meaning to get around. Tried the last J Cole album and he's the most boring writer ever. Couldn't tell you a single verse.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

alansmithee posted:

That website poo poo is really strange. Here's where it says #36:

http://www.billboard.com/music/danny-brown/chart-history/top-album-sales

edit-it looks like one list is top album sales, and the other is top 200 which i'm not sure the difference but it's sure odd.

That album was so next level that they don't even know how to rank it!

Also "underperforming" assumes you know how they expected it to perform. I have a bunch of reasons in my other post why it's not irrational to have expected it to not do the same sales. Dude's not gonna due Drake numbers. And I haven't really noticed any dimming of Danny's star so it's not like it's hurt

And as for drat, that album came out this year and it comes up when people talk about their fav stuff of the year (same for Flower Boy). As someone mentioned, AE came out in October so you don't get the full year of people saying it's one of their favs of the year. And I don't see many people talking about Jeffery-it's typically in reference to some other Young Thug project when it comes up (or general Young Thug discussion). Which, coincidentally, we're talking about AE again now that Danny Brown's been brought up! I mean you've just saw a bunch of people saying they loved the album or whatever. And it's not like it was badly rated-according to Metacritic (not perfect but w/e) it's higher rated than both Old and XXX. And those video plays aren't out of line with his other stuff-Grown Up has 10M, Dip has 7M, and most of his other big songs (including like 3 or 4 from AE) are around 2-5M views.

Again, it's lacking the super-festival song but I guess I'm not seeing this big disappointment. Especially for being a more abrasive album.

There are tons of critically acclaimed art that doesn’t perform well. I mean, I look at ODB having more views than Pneumonia and over half the views of Ain’t It Funny, and it wasn’t even on an album, as an example of AE’s cold commercial reception. But I played through AE while hitting up Target (went crazy w the coups!) and it’s better than I remembered, which makes sense cause like I said before I was sick as gently caress when Danny dropped it. I’ll definitely listen to it more this week, and I think the comparison to Big Fish Theory is apt, although BFT is definitely more accessible in its content.

I think we all agree that Danny is still great, and will hopefully continue to be so for many years to come. Heck, part of why I even brought it up was because of how quick Q jumped back in the studio this year after Blank Face, and it seemed like those had kind of similar trajectories after release.

Are there any more big releases coming up this year? It seems like a lot of stuff got announced like a month or two at most before dropping, to say nothing of the surprise albums like Super Slimey or the Offsetx21xMetro album. Anything that people felt didn’t get enough attention from the beginning of the year?

EDIT: It looks like Top Album Sales is JUST Album sales, whereas the Billboard 200 includes streams and other metrics.

Bandiet posted:

Take it easy on Danny, not everybody’s genius enough to go platinum with no features.

Fuuuuuck J. Cole

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 2, 2017

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

monkeu posted:

AE is too grating and jarring to actually enjoy listening to

TPAB is boring as gently caress and bad

Yeezus loving rules

If you disagree you are wrong

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Everybody who feels that way please quote it so i can know exactly whos opinion not to pay attention to TIA

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Boywhiz88 posted:

Fuuuuuck J. Cole

That was a joke to say you were being hypocritical, but you just said yourself that quality doesn’t equal popularity, so I’m not sure what the argument is.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Dick so long its like a foot in your mouth

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

bows1 posted:

Dick so long its like a foot in your mouth

The one two punch of this line to "aint baby sitting but my kids all on your couch" is maybe the most unintentionally hilarious bar in rap history

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

No offense seriously you seem like an ok poster

But do you dislike anything?

I think you people are loving crazy if you think atrocity exhibition is bad

What I dislike: most Chicago rap that’s get posted in the thread. It’s mostly ok I guess but doesn’t stand out too much.

I don’t like J Cole at all, and have been bewildered by his popularity since day 1.

The new wave of SoundCloud rap is a bit too weird, I like some stuff but dislike most of it. A friend invited me to the lil pump show and that’s just gonna feel weird as hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lol lil pump is loving terrible

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So are all the latest releases this holiday season sponsored content for Patek Philippe & Co. watches?

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i actually think yeezus is terrible and outside of corny bars and terrible singing i think anyone who thinks his "poor me fashion wont let me play" angst narrative is compelling is wild

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ah yes, yeezus, the album about fashion

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

So are all the latest releases this holiday season sponsored content for Patek Philippe & Co. watches?

This is annoying the hell out of me.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
AE is better in every way than almost every single album released this year except for maybe drat or Flower Boy, and i think 2017 has been a really good year for rap generally

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

alansmithee posted:

Yeah that was cage's second solo, but he had done a ton of collabs in between. It was also his defjux debut which was a big thing at the time in more undergroundish rap circles. I actually didn't think it was all that good on first listen, but after a couple months picked it up again and couldn't stop playing it. It's a really great album and a top-5 defjux release for sure. Depart from me was raw garbage though and literally helped kill the label.

It's funny though you talk about how depressing it is because I don't put it anywhere near my most depressing cage stuff. His most recent album kill the architect (which was also good and I did a decent writeup about forever ago) was like 10 times as depressing and bitter. Like i'm talking 100 joe buddens thirsting after 100 instagram hos bitter. Just a mean album. and ballad of worms is incredibly depressing in terms of a song.

Basically kill the architect, oblivion access, downfall of iblyss, and krit wuz here would be my mount rushmore of depressing rap poo poo. known unknowns is actually lowkey kinda depressing but it's got too many tracks that don't make you feel like poo poo or grind you down to be truly depressing. keloid is a crushing track though, just absolutely devastating. being you is great also has a few really depressing moments but quelle chris always has a slight humor edge which mitigates it somewhat. matter of fact, i think i'm gonna make a sad rap playlist.

i never listened to kill the architect, i despised depart from me which basically killed my interest in cage in general. i'll have to give it a listen though. i'm in for that sort of vibe at the moment.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For sure. Super Slimey is let down by its production. Sounds really cheap.

lol. nah. doesn't mean i didn't want some metro on it though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Housh posted:

It’s just the tight knit nature and oneupsmanship that permeates rap. I remember when Khaled bought a bunch of Goyard bags on his Snapchat story, and within a couple weeks, that poo poo was popping up w other rappers and songs were getting made specifically calling out Goyard in the hook. Your buddy gets a Patek watch, well then to keep up with the Jones’, you gotta pick up a Patek.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu9dy1LYPM

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Speaking of Gucci, a little over 8 years ago he dropped the Cold War series and my life changed. I ended up having to move away from my friends and family due to a gently caress up on my part. Guccimerica ended up becoming my soundtrack while walking to work in a MN January. Gucci quickly became my favorite rapper, and his sobriety after he got out of prison last year really motivated me to stop drinking. Back in July I made it to a year! I hopped off for a friend’s wedding and to see what my relationship was w booze. It’s still terrible, and due to some other stuff in my life, I hosed around a little bit, but I’ve got a total of 80 days since the beginning of August and have no plans to stop my streak. Currently sitting at 39 days. It’s also why I really appreciated Woptober (which hit its 1 year anniversary) and the tracks on there about Gucci’s struggle w drugs.

I plan to eventually get Gucci’s ice cream come tattooed across from my tattoo of Milky from Blur’s Coffee & TV video, kind of get a dairy theme going. If you ever wonder why I Stan so hard for Gucci, that’s why. Danny Brown and Tyler & Earl are the other rappers who influence and inspire me a bunch. “Party All The Time” off XXX really resonated w me and how much I related to its message. Tyler being straightedge is still hella inspiring.

Sorry for the TMI. Just wanted to remind folks that Guccimerica, Great BRRRTain, BRRRussia are still great mixtapes and Diamonds is the best Gucci song.

https://youtu.be/yTBk-il6HsM

PS. I love you NMD rap thread, even the doll fucker. It’s the first thread I check in the morning and y’all are gang gang.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 3, 2017

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Speaking of Gucci, a little over 8 years ago he dropped the Cold War series and my life changed. I ended up having to move away from my friends and family due to a gently caress up on my part. Guccimerica ended up becoming my soundtrack while walking to work in a MN January. Gucci quickly became my favorite rapper, and his sobriety after he got out of prison last year really motivated me to stop drinking. Back in July I made it to a year! I hopped off for a friend’s wedding and to see what my relationship was w booze. It’s still terrible, and due to some other stuff in my life, I hosed around a little bit, but I’ve got a total of 80 days since the beginning of August and have no plans to stop my streak. Currently sitting at 39 days. It’s also why I really appreciated Woptober (which hit its 1 year anniversary) and the tracks on there about Gucci’s struggle w drugs.

I plan to eventually get Gucci’s ice cream come tattooed across from my tattoo of Milky from Blur’s Coffee & TV video, kind of get a dairy theme going. If you ever wonder why I Stan so hard for Gucci, that’s why. Danny Brown and Tyler & Earl are the other rappers who influence and inspire me a bunch. “Party All The Time” off XXX really resonated w me and how much I related to its message. Tyler being straightedge is still hella inspiring.

Sorry for the TMI. Just wanted to remind folks that Guccimerica, Great BRRRTain, BRRRussia are still great mixtapes and Diamonds is the best Gucci song.

PS. I love you NMD rap thread, even the doll fucker. It’s the first thread I check in the morning and y’all are gang gang.

no TMI, bless up

I'm not sober, but probably should be :iamafag:, and toy with it off and on. No lie, Gucci + Royce are real inspirations for that.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Crumbletron posted:

Yo I was listening to Oblivion Access the other day and it is hella gloomy. Like MTI was gloomy but even songs like Bitch I'm Lugubrious had beats that made you forget how lyrically dark the whole thing is. OA is just a gut and earpuncher.

Perfect for these rainy days, though

Oblivion is one of those albums that I put on right before midnight to give me those spooky sleeps.

For real though, from Mister Thug onwards was such a downward spiral into the depraved poo poo Ugly is so good at painting. Only found out about this dude a few years ago (mister thug) and have been hooked ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHnNLfc0OX0

Some grimy stuff. I'd also recommend his other moniker "bedwetter", specifically Vol. 1: Flick Your Tongue Against Your Teeth and Describe the Present. I'll admit I haven't listened to most of this album, but Man Wearing a Helmet and Stoop Lights were two songs I added to my usual music playlists from first listen. Definitely worth a go.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
new nerd + rihanna is hecking good

excited to see new nerd

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I like 808s & Heartbreak a lot and I think you're wrong if you don't

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

H A T T A M posted:

I like 808s & Heartbreak a lot and I think you're wrong if you don't

Hell, same.

I am really liking this Metro, Offset, 21 Savage project. I didn't think the production on Super Slimey was bad but even three songs in, Without Warning is definitely better.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

THIS PISTOL MAKE YOU VIRAL WHIPPIN WORK WITH MY EYES CLOSED

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m so happy nerd is back

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Boywhiz88 posted:

alansmithee posted:

but who cares about facts when you're trying to prove a dumb point anyways).

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Marching Powder posted:

i never listened to kill the architect, i despised depart from me which basically killed my interest in cage in general. i'll have to give it a listen though. i'm in for that sort of vibe at the moment.

lol. nah. doesn't mean i didn't want some metro on it though.

Kill the Architect is good even though half the tracks are boring. The only Cage I don’t listen to regularly (or ever) is Depart From Me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I like hearing of music inspiring people positively. Good for you man.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Drunk, high and listening to gucci.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Speaking of Gucci...

I stopped drinking for 2.5 yrs and it saved me an absolute poo poo ton of money. I mean apart from health reasons, it was a great motivator to be able to go abroad and stuff.
Keep up the good work 👍

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

snip Gucci inspiration story

good luck keeping away from booze friend, glad Gucci music was such a good motivator. it’s amazing how strong an association music can make to a specific emotional state, knew a guy at an old job who loved a specific Drake album i’m forgetting, maybe Nothing Was The Same, for getting him through a bad breakup. it swung the other way once, i worked with a person who couldn’t listen to Tool because they associated the music with shooting heroin

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That nerd song sounds forced.

Decent song. Kinda wondering if she had any more songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogtwLQQEfY

temple fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
The new Billy Woods collaboration Armand Hammer is out. The beats are dark and loving weird but it’s really good.