Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was smart only buying 16GB of 2666 cl14 for 80 dollars because those surely are early adopter prices and memory will get cheaper/faster/denser. I'll get 64GB when it only costs 150 dollars! It makes sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Kicking myself for not grabbing one of those 8700Ks from Newegg.ca this morning. gently caress. God only knows when they're going to have more...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Newegg us has mutliple open orders per day now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I never thought I'd be perfectly happy with this 4770K five years later. I've gone through 2 coolers and 2 motherboards, and each time I thought "I wonder if this is worth the effort considering there's a new generation coming out", but nope. It just sits there, humming away at an easy 4.6Ghz overclock at 1.265v on a 120mm rad, never goes above 80C, and does everything I ask of it. The one and only downside is there are only 2 lanes for the m.2 slot on the board, so I'm not getting everything I could out of my boot drive, but I can barely feel the difference between SATA and NVME anyway, and I think that goes for pretty much everyone else as well.

It's the longest I've ever owned a CPU. I suppose someday it'll be retired to server duty and live out its days transcoding Plex streams and the occasional VM or two, but I just can't imagine that happening in the next two or three years. I can understand upgrading a Sandy Bridge or earlier machine for the creature comforts and better IO options, but I guess I don't "get" the 8770k for anyone with Haswell or newer.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I guess I don't "get" the 8770k for anyone with Haswell or newer.

Some people the just want the newest poo poo I guess. My buddy upgraded from a 7700k to 8700k. He said he doesn't notice any performance difference in the games he plays.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most Haswells are only 4 cores. The whole big thing about Coffeelake is 6 cores in the mainstream platform. I'm going to move to an 8 core Broadwell eventually since I'm already on an X99 motherboard, but for most people Coffeelake is their first opportunity to get a 6 core processor for a reasonable price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I never thought I'd be perfectly happy with this 4770K five years later. I've gone through 2 coolers and 2 motherboards, and each time I thought "I wonder if this is worth the effort considering there's a new generation coming out", but nope. It just sits there, humming away at an easy 4.6Ghz overclock at 1.265v on a 120mm rad, never goes above 80C, and does everything I ask of it. The one and only downside is there are only 2 lanes for the m.2 slot on the board, so I'm not getting everything I could out of my boot drive, but I can barely feel the difference between SATA and NVME anyway, and I think that goes for pretty much everyone else as well.

It's the longest I've ever owned a CPU. I suppose someday it'll be retired to server duty and live out its days transcoding Plex streams and the occasional VM or two, but I just can't imagine that happening in the next two or three years. I can understand upgrading a Sandy Bridge or earlier machine for the creature comforts and better IO options, but I guess I don't "get" the 8770k for anyone with Haswell or newer.

If you buy one of those NVMe-to-PCIe Adapter Sleds and put it into the PCIe slot that's wired to your PCH you can probably get yourself a decent bump in speed for $20 in parts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 3, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
We’re all nerds with disposable income who enjoy nice poo poo I guess. Some people splurge on watches, fountain pens, cigars, etc. We like to make our bedrooms light up with LEDs and go VROOOOO

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

craig588 posted:

Most Haswells are only 4 cores. The whole big thing about Coffeelake is 6 cores in the mainstream platform. I'm going to move to an 8 core Broadwell eventually since I'm already on an X99 motherboard, but for most people Coffeelake is their first opportunity to get a 6 core processor for a reasonable price.

I get that. Having one chip that can render like a boss without sacrificing single threaded performance is exciting. I guess it's just not better enough for me, especially with a die shrink right around the corner and bonkers DDR4 prices.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
xposting but I figured out my weird "too low of temps and then random throttling" issue I was having with the 8700k and ASRock Extreme4. The extreme 4 Z730 has a MASSIVE default AVX offset, to the tune of 800-1.4GHZ MHZ clock drop. And it doesn't cleanly release it after the AVX test is done. Apparently setting it to 0 sets it to "Auto"(aka, 800MHZ+), and the lowest you can set it to is 100MHZ, there is no disable feature that I can see.

That seems really frickin dumb and I just spent several hours chasing down potential power and thermal throttling.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I get that. Having one chip that can render like a boss without sacrificing single threaded performance is exciting. I guess it's just not better enough for me, especially with a die shrink right around the corner and bonkers DDR4 prices.

With a 5820K there is even less of a hurry to upgrade, I not only have 6 cores but also quad-channel and DDR4, for which I paid the princely sum of $320 :haw:

I super do not regret buying X99 even very late in its lifecycle (built in July 2016, at the historic low for DDR4 prices). If Intel does an 8-core respin of Coffee Lake and manages to keep the core clocks up I'd be interested in that, though. I am gonna miss having >16 PCIe lanes though, when is PCIe 4.0 supposed to hit the Intel lineup anyway?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

We’re all nerds with disposable income who enjoy nice poo poo I guess. Some people splurge on watches, fountain pens, cigars, etc. We like to make our bedrooms light up with LEDs and go VROOOOO

I'm getting tired of the LED craze.

I just want peripherals that aren't gaudy, perform well and don't break after 6 months.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Xae posted:

I just want peripherals that aren't gaudy, perform well and don't break after 6 months.

How do you feel about katana-inspired heatsinks?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Xae posted:

Same. I hate this LED poo poo. I even bought a non-Windowed panel for my case that came with one because I have gently caress all reason to look inside ever.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

VulgarandStupid posted:

It says something that I don’t know if this is for real or not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

don't bring a sword to a gunfight :smuggo:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

Not using PMAGs? You'll be dead in the streets :colbert:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

repiv posted:

Imagine being older than 16 and using this in a build.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

It says something that I don’t know if this is for real or not.

Unfortunately, I own this motherboard because it was the only mITX one with dual m.2's at launch.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lmao i’m dying

if i had to buy one of those because it was the last mobo on earth, i’d put my case inside another case just so no one saw that thing on accident

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I had some GSkill Sniper DDR3 which had a heatspreader shaped like a gunsight. Cut me some slack it was the cheapest 2133 around :frogbon:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Wirth1000 posted:

Imagine being older than 16 and using this in a build.

You know who has the most disposable income? Obviously <16 years old.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

lmao i’m dying

if i had to buy one of those because it was the last mobo on earth, i’d put my case inside another case just so no one saw that thing on accident

It also has RGB that you need to download software to turn off.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had some GSkill Sniper DDR3 which had a heatspreader shaped like a gunsight. Cut me some slack it was the cheapest 2133 around :frogbon:

The Sniper RAM is at least relatively low profile compared to some of the other RAM.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trying to decide what the best option is for a Z370 mATX motherboard and I am worried it is the asus strix one (z370-g)

I don't really need the wifi though. I was going to go ASRock this time but I heard something about the VRMs not being as good as asus or something? Eh I dunno.

Still gotta find an 8700k, missed the newegg.ca one because I was in a meeting :sigh:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Palladium posted:

You know who has the most disposable income? Obviously <16 years old.

trap sprung

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've got two of these on my desk, Gskill Sniper. I almost pulled the heatspreaders off.... it ran at silly low voltages though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My mouse went all crazy in the Asus BIOS screen, turns out removing the USB gamepad fixes it. What is even more stupid however is the Asus BIOS doesn't let me save and exit using just the keyboard.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I've got two of these on my desk, Gskill Sniper. I almost pulled the heatspreaders off.... it ran at silly low voltages though.

It was pretty decent stuff when I got it back in the day. Like not Samsung B-die good, I'm sure, but it was dirt cheap ($80 for 16 GB) and it never gave me any trouble running at XMP speeds.

I've mulled over getting some B-die the next time I do a build. But it's probably not enough of a performance impact to justify dropping the bux on it when DRAM prices are so absurd, and with quad-channel DDR4 I really doubt I'm bottlenecked on memory too much anyway.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

It was pretty decent stuff when I got it back in the day. Like not Samsung B-die good, I'm sure, but it was dirt cheap ($80 for 16 GB) and it never gave me any trouble running at XMP speeds.

I've mulled over getting some B-die the next time I do a build. But it's probably not enough of a performance impact to justify dropping the bux on it when DRAM prices are so absurd, and with quad-channel DDR4 I really doubt I'm bottlenecked on memory too much anyway.

I've got DDR4 4000 Corsair Vengeance, and don't know if it's B Die or not, but it's showing as Samsung IC's.

Shame it's only 2 x 4GB :/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm sure the mem prices will crash eventually. Personally I've always managed to time my upgrades so I've paid the highest mem mfg cartel price and next year the same stuff is sold for half the price.

I didn't dare to overclock my 8700K, prime95 smallfft causes 90+ temps at 1.23V on 4,7GHz... The CPU cooler doesn't even feel warm to hand so I'll have to swap the TIM some day to liquid metal.

Anyways, while playing dota cpu temps are around 40C, pubg was 50-55C. So my 970gtx and 60fps screen are the new bottlenecks. Hilariously thermalright hr02's fan spins only around 350rpm while playing pubg.. dota was lower.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm hoping the memory shortages continue. Made a 50 grand bet on Micron at the start of the year and it's doubled since then. Pretty crazy

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I've got DDR4 4000 Corsair Vengeance, and don't know if it's B Die or not, but it's showing as Samsung IC's.

Shame it's only 2 x 4GB :/

Only B die can do those speeds. If you want to go for latency it can probably do 3200C13-ish, but it's not worth it over 4000C18/19 for most workloads.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ihmemies posted:

I'm sure the mem prices will crash eventually.
Supposedly* in 2019 you might see a crash in DRAM/flash prices due to Chinese fabs beginning to have competitive manufacturing plants come on line with more capacity but every seems to be expecting prices to stay high or climb higher until then.

That why none of the other big DRAM fabbers have been trying to really expand like crazy as they used to do in the past during these sorts of boom periods. They don't know if they'll be able to keep that fab capacity in use with more competition driving down prices on the cheaper and moderate cost DRAM/flash so they're all trying to hunker down and "make hay while the sun shines".

*suuupppooooossseeeeddddlllyyy, no one knows for sure of course, this is just the scuttlebutt you'll see on investment forums/sites

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

priznat posted:

Trying to decide what the best option is for a Z370 mATX motherboard and I am worried it is the asus strix one (z370-g)

I don't really need the wifi though. I was going to go ASRock this time but I heard something about the VRMs not being as good as asus or something? Eh I dunno.

Still gotta find an 8700k, missed the newegg.ca one because I was in a meeting :sigh:

ASRock's VRMs are really good, I think you might be confused as Asus had some power delivery issues. Many ASRock had Vdroop issues that was a software thing and I think there are Bios Updates now for everything, at least there are for the Extreme4. The AVX offset doesn't let you set it to 0, which is a PIA for benchmarking, but if you are overclocking you probably want some sort of offset anyway.

Other than the AVX offset thing, I've been pretty happy with the ASRock board I got for my 8700k. It's been really solid delivering what it's set at.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I didn't dare to overclock my 8700K, prime95 smallfft causes 90+ temps at 1.23V on 4,7GHz...

That seems awfully high. What heat sink are you using? Small ftt doesn't go higher then 75 on my chip @ 1.3 with no delid

eames
May 9, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

That seems awfully high. What heat sink are you using? Small ftt doesn't go higher then 75 on my chip @ 1.3 with no delid

Seems very realistic to me, you're probably using an old Prime95 version without AVX or have a very high AVX offset.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

No delid, some old rear end arctic silver 3 (which I had barely left for the ihs), thermalright hr-02 cooler. Avx offset 0. I doubt many apps push avx as hard as prime95, so I see no point in using avx offset yet

E:techreport got around 80C at 4,8GHz with 280mm AIO loop:

"-- good for 4.8 GHz on all cores under AVX workloads. Incredibly, that configuration was happy even under Prime95 loads with an observed 1.284-1.296V using dynamic Vcore on our Aorus motherboard, so it wasn't difficult to cool at all— 80° C or so was the order of the day with a Corsair H115i on top."

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 3, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

Ihmemies posted:

No delid, some old rear end arctic silver 3 (which I had barely left for the ihs), thermalright hr-02 cooler. Avx offset 0. I doubt many apps push avx as hard as prime95, so I see no point in using avx offset yet.

I was going to say, I'm getting better thermals with a Noctua dh-15, but not by orders of magnitude with AVX offset as low as it goes (since ASRock doesn't let you go below 100MHZ offset). At 1.23 volts it'd probably be around 80C on small FFT. I'm at ~90 @4.7 all cores and 1.3volts

75 degrees on 1.3v probably means a significant AVX offset or a VDroop somewhere.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

It also has RGB that you need to download software to turn off.

Are you sure? My Asus Z370 board lets you turn off the RGB in the BIOS, it's under Advanced > Onboard Device Configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

repiv posted:

Are you sure? My Asus Z370 board lets you turn off the RGB in the BIOS, it's under Advanced > Onboard Device Configuration.

Same on my Asus Z170